Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Musicians in the house?

xcrezyx

I play guitar, bass, drums, banjo, and piano. Ive been playing guitar and bass the longest and played the banjo for a year or 2 and got really tired of it. Music is everything to me and ive recently started putting together some solo acoustic stuff. When i get the recordings up ill make sure to post a link so you guys can check it out.

I'm a classical guitar major right now, but I'm transfering to the University of Maryland to participate in their Jazz Studies program. I was accepted this winter. :)

University of North Texas, eh? They have one of the best jazz programs in the country. Norah Jones graduated from there. I've been in contact with one of the guitarrists there regarding some jazz theory questions- I think his name was Jake Hanlon but I may be incorrect.

Guitar player and guitarmaker (luthier)

My dad builds guitars, electric to be precise. He pretty much does everything except the woodworking because he doesn't have a mill and the other required woodworking tools. He buy's his parts from various manufacturers depending on the project. he's built a hollow body that sounds just as good as his vintage 335 and electrics that sound as good as Fender but not PRS or Schecter.

I play bass, one my dad built, keyboard and while most don't consider them insturments turntables and a sampler to make electronic music and scratch.

I've also been playing guitar for about 6 years. I love ska, punk, rock, blues, and surf. I am selling a few things to get this Gretsch White Falcon. They usually sell for $3300 new, but we have one at the music store I work at that has some cracked paint and a slight neck bowing, so it's like $1600. Add in some trade-in cash, and I might just do it. It's such a beauty...

Since that neck is set, I would be weary of buying it. Bowing necks is a big problem for fret buzz. You can do all you can to fix it, but unfortunatly there isn't much you can do but get a lighter gauge of strings and adjusting the truss rod and filing down the frets. It may be a beauty now, but the bowing neck can only get worse and fixing it can be quite a hassle.

Since you seem really enthusiastic about this, I wonder if you'd help me with a question? I have pretty much had to teach myself theory and I've learned quite a bit in the past 15 years. But there is still a lot I know I need to learn-especially jazz. But for starters.......

Ok for simplicity's sake we'll start simple. I understand passing tones and crushed notes and that I can use them over a Major I-IV-V(Using G ionian) or a Minor i-iv-v(using G mixolydian).

But how do they explain it in music theory that you can use both scales over Gmaj/Cmaj/Dmaj and it sounds harmonically correct? In bluegrass and blues, I believe they call this cross picking(?) where the soloist defines which third he wants to use-the major or the minor and they can be interchangeable. Jimi Hendrix switches between minor pentatonic and major pentatonic on back to back bars on Redhouse. Why do the minor and major thirds not seem to clash between the vertical and horizontal harmony and how do they explain that in theory? Is it basically the same principle as passing tones? Thanks to anyone who can help me work this out in my head.

BTW, this question is mild compared to the ii-bV-I and harmonic/melodic minor questions I'll be asking you about tomorrow......:silly:

So basically you just summed it up for yourself...passing tones. Example :

G7 chord ... Playing a lick like ... D E F# G A Bb G F# F (natural) ... or a lick like E Eb D Db C Bb B ... it's really about how you start and end your phrases. Of course, this is a VERY basic explanation as to how you can use tones not specified in the chord. There are all sorts of things you can do (as many of us know).

About Hendrix using Minor and then Major pentatonic back to back ... I haven't heard it in a while, but if I remember correctly, it was probably just a pattern. If you (or anyone else) has ANY questions about theory or anything of the sort...let me know...either here or by PM (which would be easier as it wouldn't be so cluttered on the message board). I can definitely help you out.

I'm a classical guitar major right now, but I'm transfering to the University of Maryland to participate in their Jazz Studies program. I was accepted this winter. :)

University of North Texas, eh? They have one of the best jazz programs in the country. Norah Jones graduated from there. I've been in contact with one of the guitarrists there regarding some jazz theory questions- I think his name was Jake Hanlon but I may be incorrect.

Yeah it was probably Jake. I know his brother real well...him and I played in the One O'Clock Lab Band last year (among other things). Yeah Norah Jones graduated from here...she's probably the most "famous" musician to have graduated from here. Although, there are a couple others...Jeff Coffin (Saxophone player w/Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) ... Slide Hampton ... Marvin Stamm ... Dan Higgins (possibly the most recorded saxophone player of all time...Simpsons, Family Guy, almost EVERY movie recorded since the 80s) ... Clay Jenkins ... Steve Weist ... the list goes on. I'm sure most of those names won't mean much to people not in the jazz community though. Hey...we also had Dr. Phil :doh:

I saw a post earlier about someone talking about Rennick here in the percussion dept...First off, our percussion department has to be one of the best in the world (along w/our jazz studies program). Rennick is one of my fiancee's good friends. She used to be a cymbal player for the drumline. Luckily she's not a music major ... graduated with a "money-making" degree :D

Yea, I've played some of Rennick's snare writing. I love it. Very musical, with a bit of tastefull embelishments.

He's doing AMAZING things with the Phantom Regiment percussion department... I know a good portion of that line is from UNT too, so they're really really good from playing together all the time, through the semester and through the summer.

I knew a guy who went there, he's your age. Billy Wyrick. I think he did play some sax before, but went for the percussion program.

Anyways, yes, UNT is a good percussion program, but don't get too full of yourself...there's plenty of other decent ones ;).

UMASS is awesome, under the helm of Thom Hannum. Hell, depending where you want to go you can find really good instruction. Keyboards? Giff Howarth is at Penn State, Jim Ancona is at Delaware State. Morehead state repeatedly is putting out awesome ensembles. Hell, Riverside Community College has put out AWESOME stuff lately.

But yea, enjoy scrapin' for change ;). Maybe you should break out your sax next to a metro stop and see how much you can make ;)

I knew a guy who went there, he's your age. Billy Wyrick. I think he did play some sax before, but went for the percussion program.

Billy Wyrick is one of my best friends! He did play sax for about a year, but opted for the percussion. How do you know him? I roomed w/a guy who went to the same high school as Billy my first two years in school. The three of us are still real close. What a small world!

awesome man...where does he play? i'm assuming he's a soloist if he is playing the 2nd bone spot...

he plays around at different places. country clubs, Blues Alley, Hotels, wherever the band gets gigs. they're really fun to listen to. The Director of the Jazz band was his highschool Jazz band director (which is why he got the spot so quick, he already knew what my brother was capable of).

and yes, he does do solos, in a Jazz Band competition for our High-school, he was given the award for best solo. he really is amazing, no one at his age was really even a contest for him.

oh, and the director is a really awesome guy. every week he holds poker night at his house. on school nights i'll stay 'till about 11:30, otherwise i'll stay until 4-7am.

Archived