Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Musicians in the house?

xcrezyx

cool man...what band does he play with? sounds like a fun group! i'm going to be playing at blues alley this weekend (april 26-28) with the band I play with...you should come out and tell your brother to come out as well. it's the big band i play with here in texas (north texas one o'clock lab band). i'm sure you and your brother would love the show!! if you come out, say hi to the 2nd alto player (that's me). i'm the tall asian that plays on a silver alto saxophone...i'm also probably the only skins fan in the band :dallasuck ...

my brother landed a spot in a jazz band straight out of highschool. he's now the 2nd trombonist (i think). anyone know of the band called "Garry Henson's Take Note" formerly known as "Swing Shift"?

Garry Henson...that name rings a bell...Fairfax HS? I used to go to Centreville HS (Dave Detwiler was my jazz director). I think I have heard of Swing Shift...wedding/cover band right? I think I remember hearing them once or twice. Sounded pretty good.

Garry Henson...that name rings a bell...Fairfax HS? I used to go to Centreville HS (Dave Detwiler was my jazz director). I think I have heard of Swing Shift...wedding/cover band right? I think I remember hearing them once or twice. Sounded pretty good.

Yeah, Garry Henson is the Jazz band director at here at FHS. He must have just started when you knew of him because i believe he is in his 6th year here at fairfax.

• 4 years later...
Any musicians in the house ?

I play Bass.

I've currently got this ad on craigslist if anyone wants to hire me

http://jackson.craigslist.org/muc/2835203944.html

PRO Bassist Available (Jackson)

Date: 2012-02-04, 7:43PM EST

Reply to: 8dbkz-2835203944@comm.craigslist.org

Bass player available for PAYING GIGS ONLY. I play G, C, D. If your songs are not in G, please transpose them into G. If your song has an Em or Bm or anything off the wall I will probably sit out that chord. Or I could learn those notes for $30 each. If you want me to do fancy stuff like go back and forth between G and D while you hold a G chord, forget it because I'm a "pocket" player. Minimum $100 per gig within a 5 mile radius of 39202. $5 per mile travel charge for other areas out of town. Please make sure your gigs are on a JATRAN bus route, or you can pick me up at my mother's house. Must be home by 11pm due to previous legal hassles. No gigs within 500 yards of schools, parks, or playgrounds, also for some legal bull ****

I play Bass.

I've currently got this ad on craigslist if anyone wants to hire me

http://jackson.craigslist.org/muc/2835203944.html

PRO Bassist Available (Jackson)

Date: 2012-02-04, 7:43PM EST

Reply to: 8dbkz-2835203944@comm.craigslist.org

Bass player available for PAYING GIGS ONLY. I play G, C, D. If your songs are not in G, please transpose them into G. If your song has an Em or Bm or anything off the wall I will probably sit out that chord. Or I could learn those notes for $30 each. If you want me to do fancy stuff like go back and forth between G and D while you hold a G chord, forget it because I'm a "pocket" player. Minimum $100 per gig within a 5 mile radius of 39202. $5 per mile travel charge for other areas out of town. Please make sure your gigs are on a JATRAN bus route, or you can pick me up at my mother's house. Must be home by 11pm due to previous legal hassles. No gigs within 500 yards of schools, parks, or playgrounds, also for some legal bull ****

One of my bands is going to need a new bass player soon. Honestly, you're the least ****ed up bass player I've seen in years.

Took drum lessons from age 6 to 15. Took electric organ lessions at age 8 for about a year. Stayed with the drums. Played in marching band and concert band in High School, but got away from it for a long time. My wife bought me a cheap set a couple of years ago. I played, but then I had to put them in storage for 2 years. We bought a new house recently, so now I've set them back up. I can't wait to start playing again as soon as we have the house in order.

Been drumming since I was 9. Started playing concert band in 5th grade and drum set in 7th grade. Marched bass drum my freshman year in HS, then tenors for the other 3 years. Made the tenor line at UVA as a freshman and never lost my spot. Drum captain in HS as a junior and senior, tenor captain junior year at UVA and drum captain senior year. Also played drum set for the basketball band for my last three years.

I think the most personally gratifying experience I ever had with music though was my cover band in college. We played 90s/2000s covers, poppy stuff you'd want to hear and dance to when you're drunk at a frat party haha. My senior year we probably played about a dozen gigs, most of which were paying, at various bars and greek functions. Nothing more rewarding than playing music you enjoy with three of your best friends, and having people listen to it and enjoy it is icing on the cake.

For now (graduated college last May, moved to RVA and started working full-time in July), I haven't pursued another band. Not sure it would be the same playing with relative strangers, but eventually I'm sure I'll want to find more people to play with.

Lots of cool posts! I've been playing tenor sax for 12 years, guitar and bass for 10, and am learning piano.

Currently play guitar in a punk rock group and a 90s alt rock tribute band.

If any are interested, our buddy wanted to shoot a video of us as a test run of his new equipment. Here's a preliminary version! (I'm the dude in black).

GQ8X5yjUhcs

Archived