Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of the DTs Branch or Okoye or ?

Veretax

Alan Branch has a great work ethic, great character, and he will be a great Redskin.

If he had a "great work ethic" then you would think he would have worked hard to prove himself in his workouts.

People keep getting at Okoye because he is a "workout wonder," but the reason he did so well at his workouts is because he has a tremendous work ethic.

As for the "?" in the thread title, we should also be considering Justin Harrell, who was injured for the better part of last year with a bicep tear, but has heaps of heart. He would likely have been in the top 15 if it weren't for his injury, now he my be available in the early 2nd.

As for 2nd round DEs, Tim Crowder is a fantastic option and so is Charles Johnson. Crowder was extremely productive his senior year at UT, and started the other 3 improving each one. He also had an excellent combine.

I dunno bout Crowder. He didn't seem that impressive to me. Seems like the NFL would eat him up.

Too bad Okoye moved up the draft. We coulda traded down and picked him up a little further down maybe. Then we coulda either picked up another DE or maybe a safety in the second.

Too bad we can't run alternate seasons simultaneously. Like the CJ crowd gets their man and the DL crowd get their man. That way the DL crowd could point and laugh at the CJers after the season is done.

:D

Branch was a non factor in games versus Ohio State, ND, USC

Completely inaccurate. Michigan held Notre Dame to *32* yards rushing on 17 carries (ND as a team managed a paltry 1.9 YPC, and Walker was held to a 2.5 YPC). If you watched that game, Branch was literally living in the opposing backfield, despite being double-teamed on virtually every snap by ND's interior OL.

Michigan also held USC to a meager *48 yards* on 23 carries, or 2.1 YPC. Early in that game, Branch was pretty overpowering despite facing an elite opposing Center, and consistent double-teams. He got fantastic push into the backfield, and USC managed to do nothing on the ground, as they were held to 3 first half points. The second half was an aerial explosion by USC, but that's another matter.

I can't explain the OSU game, as both teams offenses just steamrolled the defenses all day. Even if the Big Ten was overrated in 2006 (it likely was), you can bet that you face numerous, elite OLs in that conference every year (as the Big Ten produces dominant OL in the way that the SEC and Miami/FSU usually produce unequalled speed and explosiveness at the skill positions)... and Branch was a manchild against virtually every Big 10 OL tandem he's faced for the past 2 years.

As for Okoye, I'm not sure he's ever faced an NFL caliber OL in his entire career, as their only real OOC test Miami was so far down last year (even WVU's stellar OL is undersized and gimmicky in contrast to NFL designs)... *and WVU ran for 323 YARDS against Okoye and company!!!* Now *that* is getting rolled on the DL. The only other ranked opponent they faced in 2006 (lowly Rutgers) averaged 5.0+ YPC against L'ville and they surrendered 130 yards and 6.0 YPC to Ray Rice.... so, if you want to compare the performance of Okoye's DL, against FAR, FAR lesser quality opponents...

Completely inaccurate. Michigan held Notre Dame to *32* yards rushing on 17 carries (ND as a team managed a paltry 1.9 YPC, and Walker was held to a 2.5 YPC). If you watched that game, Branch was literally living in the opposing backfield, despite being double-teamed on virtually every snap by ND's interior OL.

Michigan also held USC to a meager *48 yards* on 23 carries, or 2.1 YPC. Early in that game, Branch was pretty overpowering despite facing an elite opposing Center, and consistent double-teams. He got fantastic push into the backfield, and USC managed to do nothing on the ground, as they were held to 3 first half points. The second half was an aerial explosion by USC, but that's another matter.

I can't explain the OSU game, as both teams offenses just steamrolled the defenses all day. Even if the Big Ten was overrated in 2006 (it likely was), you can bet that you face numerous, elite OLs in that conference every year (as the Big Ten produces dominant OL in the way that the SEC and Miami/FSU usually produce unequalled speed and explosiveness at the skill positions)... and Branch was a manchild against virtually every Big 10 OL tandem he's faced for the past 2 years.

As for Okoye, I'm not sure he's ever faced an NFL caliber OL in his entire career, as their only real OOC test Miami was so far down last year (even WVU's stellar OL is undersized and gimmicky in contrast to NFL designs)... *and WVU ran for 323 YARDS against Okoye and company!!!* Now *that* is getting rolled on the DL. The only other ranked opponent they faced in 2006 (lowly Rutgers) averaged 5.0+ YPC against L'ville and they surrendered 130 yards and 6.0 YPC to Ray Rice.... so, if you want to compare the performance of Okoye's DL, against FAR, FAR lesser quality opponents...

Noone in the NFl runs a spread running attack like WVU runs. It is predicated on discipline. South Florida managed to stop us last year, but slaton was injured.

Listen... In order for a team like Louisville to beat WVU they have to have turnovers (they got them), and they had to slow down the running attack long enough to get Brohm out there. To beat WVUs style of play you have to have a VERY disciplined defense. Louisville had a lot of young guys out on D if I remember correctly. Still Okoye did have a good year, and they had a much harder schedule then WVUs I believe.

Didn't michigan beat wisconsin? for their only loss?

Sure did, and held Wisconsin's *phenomenal* rushing attack to 12 yards in the process. 12 yards to a team which had an RB averaging 120 YPG, and 1500+ on the season, behind a stellar offensive line. But hey, what Branch's defense did against great OLs and RBs (and every one of his primary teammates and his DC have at some point during this season/offseason singled him out as the absolutely pivotal aspect of their rush defense)... the historically productive run defense which Branch spearheaded is meaningless, because of some combine/pro-day rumors of appearing winded in drills????

Meanwhile, the rush defense which Okoye anchored, was torched a number of times by teams which don't feature any real protoypical future NFL linemen of distinction, much less entire OLs of them.

You can't attribute a teams rush defense to any single aspect of the defensive unit, much less to an individual... but Branch was overwhelming when the pads were actually on.

Yeah that's a good point, arm length, and ability to get under the blocks could be in Okoye's favor.

If they can trade down and add even 1 day 1 pick I won't complain so long as we get Branch, Carriker, or Anderson.

I wonder though. Are there any DEs in the 2nd round that might be worth considering

Justin Harrell of UT

But for the original question,I favor Okoye over Branch. He's put on about 15 pounds since the season ended and if he ended up around 315-320 with his leverage (plays low and gets underneath linemen) and playing the NT position in college I think he could be a 2 gap DT in his first year in the NFL. His height is the only thing that is kinda a negative for me, but I dont need a guy to be 6'6 either. He has a low center and is tough to move.

Do the reports out of practice that he was unblockable and his two sacks in the Senior Bowl count for anything?

u should make this a poll. id go with branch though. i think okoye is getting over-hyped because of his age. branch is an absolute monster

I don't think there is such a thing as overhyping a kid who has 4 years of college football under his belt and still has his voice cracking. The kid got accepted to Harvard at 16! His playing weight in college was just under 290 lbs. He was told that is too light so he bulked up 15 lbs and in the process IMPROVED his workout numbers. Given what he has accomplished at such a young age you have to acknowledge that he has a work ethic that is incredible. That is what you want on your team, not a guy who can't get up and prepare for the combine.

branch may be a very good player, but I would rather have a very good player who is going to go all out to become an even better player, and that guy is Okoye.

Do the reports out of practice that he was unblockable and his two sacks in the Senior Bowl count for anything?

Sure, they count for a great deal in my opinion. I think Okoye is a great talent, and he's probably 2nd or 3rd on the list of guys I'd like to see us pick. I just don't feel that he fits the Redskins system or personnel as well as a 2 gap behemoth like Branch (who both plays the right technique, complements the attributes of the existing personnel on the Redskins DL, and excels in the skill sets I think this DL most needs). I also wanted to point out that Branch's entire body of work, and actual primetime game production should count for more than a scouting rumor about perceived work ethic from single day events IMO. In addition, as much as Okoye has impressed during Senior Bowl and combine workouts... we should still also consider that the DL he anchored, in a patently second tier college conference, was far from stout against the run.

Branch's ability to shrug off blocking is incredible. The man will be double teamed his first game in the NFL. He's also pretty fast which is impressive, to me Branch is the kind of guy who makes an O-line fall apart. He commands so much attention that when he gets penetration othe interior d-linemen get in the backfield too.

Okoye is also a good decision but I'm not sure he fits the Redskins needs as much. He seems like the more "athletic" of the two, able to pull off diving tackles and chasing down the run and the passer like a linebacker.

To me we don't have a guy like Branch, but we do have an Okoye in Andre Carter. I feel like Branch would be able to boost the play of the rest of the D line, thats why he gets the nod, but either of them would be great.

Post #9 good post sounds like me. But good real good. Now let's get the F/O to think like that. But IMO we're going with a skill position and not a DL. I know we know what we need but Cerrato already said that he doesn't draft DL, but lets hope that's a ploy.

Noone in the NFl runs a spread running attack like WVU runs. It is predicated on discipline. South Florida managed to stop us last year, but slaton was injured.

Listen... In order for a team like Louisville to beat WVU they have to have turnovers (they got them), and they had to slow down the running attack long enough to get Brohm out there. To beat WVUs style of play you have to have a VERY disciplined defense. Louisville had a lot of young guys out on D if I remember correctly. Still Okoye did have a good year, and they had a much harder schedule then WVUs I believe.

cmon now...this has been covered many times...with the exception of WVU and Rutgers (who they lost to).....Louisville had a cream puff sked last season. and Stormy is right...Okoye did nothing against a quality team....stars...#6 picks.....shine against the best regardless of who is injured.

cmon now...this has been covered many times...with the exception of WVU and Rutgers (who they lost to).....Louisville had a cream puff sked last season. and Stormy is right...Okoye did nothing against a quality team....stars...#6 picks.....shine against the best regardless of who is injured.

Creampuffs eh. Aside from Temple and Mid Ten St. Oh btw OSU and Florida managed to squeeze in some 1-AA opponents in their schedule as well look at those scores. Miami was ranked at the time and bad last year I'll admit, but they got wiped out.

3-Sep Kentucky W 59-28

9-Sep at Temple W 62-0

16-Sep No. 17 Miami (FL) W 31-7

23-Sep at Kansas State W 24-6

6-Oct at Middle Tennessee State W 44-17

14-Oct Cincinnati W 23-17

21-Oct at Syracuse W 28-13

2-Nov No. 3 West Virginia W 44-34

9-Nov at No. 15 Rutgers L 28-25

18-Nov South Florida W 31-8

25-Nov at Pittsburgh W 48-24

2-Dec Connecticut W 48-17

2-Jan vs No. 18 Wake Forest (ACC Winner) W 24-13

However, you can't look at WVU's rushing stats and assume it was all up the middle, they spread the ball out, run option at times, Like I said it takes a LOT of discipline to slow down WVU's offense

Okoye. He fills two needs. DE and DT. He has the size to play either/or. Especially if he hovers around 305 or 310 and maintains his speed.

Branch is lazy.

And let's not forget, Okoye is INCREDIBLY intelligent. Graduating from college at 19 is no easy task.

Breakdown by numbers:

Okoye:

6'2" 302 pounds

29 reps of 225 lbs

4.88 40 (from Pro Day)

9'3" Broad Jump

Branch:

6'5" 324 pounds

33 reps of 225

5.07 40 yard dash

8'11" Broad Jump

The two are comparable in numbers.

Size:

Branch is bigger and fills a DT Need.

Okoye is a bit smaller but can play both tackle and end if necessary (and coached correctly)

Strength:

Branch is stronger. He's got 22 pounds on Okoye. Branch has the advantage here.

Speed:

Okoye's combine 40 was 5.07, as was Branch's. However, Okoye clocked his 40 at 4.88 at his Pro Day, while Branch didn't test. Advantage: Okoye.

Broad Jump:

Four inch advantage to Okoye, showing he's much more explosive off the rock. Advantage: Okoye.

Intelligence:

I can't really measure since I don't know what Alan Branch's GPA, test scores, work ethic/etc. are. But Okoye is an incredibly smart person. I can't put an advantage here, but I'd like to think the 'Skins know Branch's intelligence. If Okoye proves to be smarter, I don't see HOW you could choose Branch over him.

Furthermore, it's been reported that Branch has stress fractures in his leg. If this is true, you can't pass on Okoye for him. You just can't do it.

Trade down about 2 spots and get Okoye.

The only knock on Okoye is his size(300 lbs is undersized? Please). I cant count the number of NFL players who have been drafted on size and been busts, and those who were considered undersized and became superstars. Sports isnt about how big you are, its about your talent. This, coupled with the fact he is 19(and has more growing ahead of him most likely), and can add about 10-15 lbs at the NFL level means he will have the same size as Branch. Moreover, this is a really really really smart kid, who started at 16 in College, played for a very good football team(winning team at that), and put up big production numbers far above Branch. Branch 25 tackles and 2.5 sacks(around there). Okoye 55 tackles 8 sacks. You tell ME whos better?

You can doubt a player on size the first time(when they enter college), but once he proves you wrong, dont be an idiot and continue to doubt him on size. Further, Okoye is a very motivated player(came from little, worked hard), and competitive fire can make all the difference. Okoye will be a superstar in this league.

Archived