Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of the DTs Branch or Okoye or ?

Veretax

Let's assume the FO decides it most needs a Defensive Tackle from this draft, which one is the best fit longterm. Okoye is young and highly motivated, but a bit undersized. Branch is huge, but not as quick on the ball and sometimes gets locked on blocks.

So the question is which would you pick?

I've been wondering if maybe Branch would be better, because finding a pro with that size to move as a free agent next year could be difficult, but finding someone ala Okoye's size shouldn't be a problem.

Okoye still has room to upsize though, so he could be bigger than branch at some point to.

What do you guys think?

Which one do you draft, or do you not care trade down and try to snag someone later?

Trade down, if possible, and get Alan Branch. We will command double teams and allow our linebackers to run free. Due to the media-generated hype about his workouts and the unsexiness of his position his stock has continued to fall in mock drafts. All the better for us, meaning, if we can move back in the draft we can snag him and another first day pick.

If no partner's there, still take him at #6, I can live with that.

Although I support drafting Branch, any trade down to acquire defensive linemen would make me happy, (Anderson, Okoye, etc.)

But I'm a happiest with Branch on our line.

Okoye would be my choice. I think he compares very favorably to Casey Hampton, who is a little shorter at 6'1 but is a premier run stuffer, of the Steelers except he is more explosive and has the arm lenth(33 1/2 inches) of someone who is 6'6 not 6'2. His arm lenth is the same as Jarvis Moss'. So he brings the best of both worlds, low center of gravity, explosiveness, and long arms. The games that I watched of Louisville, he was always in the middle of the action and penetrating the backfield. He did the same at the senior bowl, w/ great practices and 2 sacks in the game. They even go as far to compare him to Reggie White on the NFL.com scouting report http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/okoye_amobi.

Yeah that's a good point, arm length, and ability to get under the blocks could be in Okoye's favor.

If they can trade down and add even 1 day 1 pick I won't complain so long as we get Branch, Carriker, or Anderson.

I wonder though. Are there any DEs in the 2nd round that might be worth considering

Branch. I'll take the guy that proved his dominance against top notch competition vs. a guy that played against the likes of UCF, UConn, etc.....

He's bigger, stronger, and more talented......tired of this crap about Okoye having more upside. So what if he's not a workout warrior. He brings it when it matters most.

Branch.

I love Okoye, but not for our system, nor for our personnel. We already have a fairly productive veteran in the mold of Okoye (Griffin), and a young project who has shown some flashes in the mold of Okoye (Golston). Neither have his quickness or versatility, but they play the penetrating 1 gap spot in similar fashion. What this defense needs is a massive, 2 gap DT who commands double-teams, freeing up both his fellow DL for more 1-on-1 matchups (greatly benefitting Griffin and Carter), and in the process creating blocker free lanes for our LBs to penetrate and to pave the way for our blitzers. Meanwhile, our LBs are suddenly penetrating and making plays at the line of scrimmage, rather than 5 yards downfield.

Right now, all of our aging, slowed, one-dimensional, or undersized DL can usually be handled by a single OL, with minimal help. Against the pass, this leaves OL and RBs to pick up our blitzers with ease (none got close to opposing QBs last year, and GW's blitzes looked like playground designs as a result). Against the run, this frees up at least one unaccounted for OL, and allows other massive OLs to disengage and steamroll our LBs at the next line of defense.

Branch will put an end to all of this, just as he did as the catalyst and anchor of Michigan's elite 2006 defense. He will command the presence of at least the opposing C and an OG on every single play, and with his leverage and 6'6" 330 frame will still get some push and penetration. That is going to give Griffin the first look at man-on-man coverage he's seen in 2 years, and will do likewise for guaranteeing Carter more single blocker looks. Suddenly, our LBs won't have an extra OG releasing to bulldoze them, rather they can fill their lanes unimpeded by much more than a FB in many occasions.

Branch collapses pockets from the inside-out, which will flush QBs from the pocket (I'm not sure this happened one time with our DTs last year), which is a dream come true for our DEs, especially for upfield, edge rushers like Carter, whose sacks I'd expect to be greatly elevated by Branch's presence. This kid is a worker; he has a phenomenal football IQ and passion for the game; he's an elite athlete who skillfully plays multiple sports (and had played every position except QB in highschool at his size!); and he's the type of behemoth playmaker who most likely instantly improves our stoutness versus both run and pass, while making everyone around him better. People don't realize that Branch is so versatile, that he often lined up at DE at UM and would beat OTs off the edge. He has speed and quicks for a guy of his size.

Okoye's got a great motor, and great skill sets, but he'll never have the inherent size of Branch whether it's height and reach, or run stuffing weight... and he'll never play the technique or play 2 gap DT role.

I have been worried about Okoye's size as well. There is a very good chance Okoye doesn't get any taller or bigger. Doesn't matter that he is 19 because he has been lifting weights at the D-1A level for a while now. I think he plays hard and is disruptive but he is undersized and we would be risking a lot with the pick. This isn't college where you grow your freshman and hope they pan out. This the NFL and we are going to be giving him 15 mill in guaranteed money and need him to play right now. Branch has the size right now and I think he will play with a chip on his shoulder as he as been widely criticized on his motor. Plus I think Greg Blache will be in his ear about that and it will be very motivating. Shoot! Playing on a team coached by Joe Gibbs is motivating and I know I wouldn't want to let him down. I say we trade down and get Branch (since it appears that Okoye will be the more expensive DT in this draft) and a DE in the 2nd or 3rd (depending on what pick we get) and also pick up Walter Thomas in the 6th round who is another massive run stopping DT.

Alan Branch had as many interceptions as Carlos Rogers last year. True story.

.....although Carlos Rogers had 63 more tackles than Branch. Most of that may have to do with how many tackles our secondary had to make plus a few more games played but this is still pretty odd.

Edited to add: I heard an interview with Okoye's mom and she said he was talking by 6 mos, walking by 11 mos, and was admitted to Harvard when he was 16!! Of course, he ended up going to L'ville but this guy is unique and I'd rather have him then someone that has questionable work ethic.

I like Branch. I think I even like him overall at #6. If he can do what he did in colledge in the NFL, it would fix our line for a long time. We blitz for a pass rush, i'de like to see the middle clogged up. I wanna hear on fridays " and you just can't run up the middle on the Washington Redskins" so badly. Like the Jags or the Vikes. I don't want Jacobs or MB3 or Buckhalter running up the gut on 3rd and 3 and have to worry. Clog the middle and worry about everything else. He anchored the #1 run D last year. Maybe he can do that here.

19 is to young. Who knows how he develops over the next 2 or 3 years. Who knows how he responds to playing against 30 year olds. The last Nigerian Nightmare quit when little steve A****er clocked him because he " didn't have a love of the game" from growing up without football. He has a huge upside, but thats not always good.

Branch. I'll take the guy that proved his dominance against top notch competition vs. a guy that played against the likes of UCF, UConn, etc.....

you mean like powerhouse teams

Indiana, Illinois, Perdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ball State, Minnesota, and last year SEC powerhouse Vanderbilt?

Branch was a non factor in games versus Ohio State, ND, USC

Let's assume the FO decides it most needs a Defensive Tackle from this draft, which one is the best fit longterm. Okoye is young and highly motivated, but a bit undersized. Branch is huge, but not as quick on the ball and sometimes gets locked on blocks.

So the question is which would you pick?

I've been wondering if maybe Branch would be better, because finding a pro with that size to move as a free agent next year could be difficult, but finding someone ala Okoye's size shouldn't be a problem.

Okoye still has room to upsize though, so he could be bigger than branch at some point to.

What do you guys think?

Which one do you draft, or do you not care trade down and try to snag someone later?

If we're at 6 and cannot move out, then btw. the 2, you go with Amobi. While is he smaller, he appears to have a higher sense of motivation, which is the most important intangible that can't be measured via the combine. While he is smaller, this also puts him at a lower center of gravity, which makes it more difficult to move him. Also, I believe that Branch had like 6 sacks or something last year, while Amobi had 12 or so. I know a DT's primary job isn't sacking the QB, but it's still an important statistic to consider. I don't know...if we can trade down, then great. But, I'm going to be disappointed if the Skins end up with Branch in this draft. I really feel like he took too many plays off in college and is going to end up a bust...Sean Gilbert anyone?

I was preferring a DE myself, but forced to compare these two, I'd probably go with the size of Branch. Even if we don't get a speed-rushing monster at DE that I've dreamed about for years, having a run-stuffing wide body in the image of Dave Butz would be my second choice.

As an alternative, LenDale White RB of the Titans is supposedly pushing close to 300 lbs. We could trade for his wide body pretty cheaply then convert him to DT. :laugh:

Okay I did a quick scan of some of the guys taht might be available in the 2nd or third.

Someone like Ryan Beam out of Oklahoma State

David Patterson Ohios State

Justin Harrel

those were the only DTs that jumped out at me

DEs

Tim Crowder Texas

Jarvis Moss

Quentin Moses

or charles johnson

From my assesment none of the DTs really are a two gap mold, and the DEs tend to be undersized as well. That might be fixable.

I am starting to think Branch might be a good one to fit in there. even if he does get stuck on a block thats one less guy getting off the block to go block fletcher or rocky or marshall.

I do like Okoye's attitude though. Its a tough call.

Maybe Atlanta will see our interest and snipe in at zona's pick and take him forcing us to take branch?

.....although Carlos Rogers had 63 more tackles than Branch. Most of that may have to do with how many tackles our secondary had to make plus a few more games played but this is still pretty odd.

And why did our secondary have to make so many tackles? ;)

Edited to add: I heard an interview with Okoye's mom and she said he was talking by 6 mos, walking by 11 mos, and was admitted to Harvard when he was 16!! Of course, he ended up going to L'ville but this guy is unique and I'd rather have him then someone that has questionable work ethic.

His work ethic is unquestionable. You had scouts and a few coaches from other teams criticize his workout. That's it.

But if you're really curious why don't you read what our good friend boofMcboof posted a while back.

Alan Branch has a great work ethic, great character, and he will be a great Redskin.

Indiana, Illinois, Perdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ball State, Minnesota, and last year SEC powerhouse Vanderbilt?

You couldn't be more wrong.

.Edited to add: I heard an interview with Okoye's mom and she said he was talking by 6 mos, walking by 11 mos, and was admitted to Harvard when he was 16!! Of course, he ended up going to L'ville but this guy is unique and I'd rather have him then someone that has questionable work ethic.

My daughter was talking at that age too. Unfortunately she has neither the size nor the work ethic we'd be looking for at DT.

I don't know if it's just me, but The Full Monty makes a good case for Branch.

Very wrong. This misinformation has got to stop. He dominated against ND, recovered a fumble and had an INT in the Ohio State game (both defenses were bad that day), and shut down the run vs USC. That's why they changed it up and started to throw.

Branch for the reasons Stormy presented so well on page 1.

Okoye having more sacks is because Branch is routinely double teamed. Although they are both DTs they play different positions. We need the 2 gap version.

I'm hoping we can trade down a short way and pick up a second in order to draft a DE too. But then I hope for a lot of things that don't happen :P

Archived