Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of the DTs Branch or Okoye or ?

Veretax

Can anyone name Louisville's MLB or ILB?

I can name Michigan's and he would be a late first day or second-day pick if not for Alan Branch: David Harris.

David Harris is probably the #2 ILB prospect this year and a HUGE chunk of that is because of Alan Branch.

Seems to me that kind of impact would recommend Branch a BIT more than what people seem willing to concede.

Oh and that Lamar Woodley chap seemed to have benefited also.

Still trying to think on Okoye's teammates and how high in the draft they're going based on how much he did for them.

Can anyone name Louisville's MLB or ILB?

I can name Michigan's and he would be a late first day or second-day pick if not for Alan Branch: David Harris.

David Harris is probably the #2 ILB prospect this year and a HUGE chunk of that is because of Alan Branch.

Seems to me that kind of impact would recommend Branch a BIT more than what people seem willing to concede.

Oh and that Lamar Woodley chap seemed to have benefited also.

Still trying to think on Okoye's teammates and how high in the draft they're going based on how much he did for them.

You're going to base a prospect on his teammates? Oh come on! Louisville hasn't been a powerhouse for long. They don't have the tradition Michigan has. Granted, Branch's presence added a little bit to Harris and Woodley's success, those two are talented football players as it is.

Your argument has holes. Glaring ones. Yet, I still concede there is a hint of validity in it.

You're going to base a prospect on his teammates? Oh come on! Louisville hasn't been a powerhouse for long. Granted, Branch's presence added a little bit to Harris and Woodley's success, those two are talented football players as it is.

Your argument has holes. Glaring ones. Yet, I still concede there is a hint of validity in it.

Louisville isn't FSU but they're not Akron either. They have a lot of Florida talent on that squad, also, if I'm not remembering incorrectly. Harris and Woodley are talented but Woodley is more hustle and motor and determination and leverage than he is beastly athletic talent. Harris DOES have skill but would it have shone as it did without Branch?

Better question, who was Michigan's MLB 2 years ago? Anything coming to mind???? They have tradition sure but it's not as if it's year after of year of inside LB prospects. What a coincidence that Harris busts out with Branch in front of him!

Here's a Louisville guy for you: Elvis Dumervil. Broncos. YOu may have heard of him. He's a defensive lineman. His hometown is MIami.

Remember McCune before Okoye? They get some guys at Louisville now and one would think we'd hear of the guys he freed up this year. McCune was a MLB.

As someone pointed out, Louisville got absolutely RUN ON by a couple of teams while Michigan actually had a historic run defense (led by Branch.) I would not dismiss those facts.

Branch was a non factor in games versus Ohio State, ND, USC

Because they had to throw to get any offense. OSU got in a couple of runs but you force the cut back in to the middle their should be someone on the team that can make that tackle. LB, S, etc.

Branch is who we need to make this D click. Okoye will be a good player but he's not what we need on this D. Branch will be an intimedating presence on our D.

I have a question for everyone. Is it harder to lift on the flat bench or the incline bench? The incline is diffently harder. My point is being that Branch is taller, most OL will have to block up ( or push up like an incline lift ) and try to hold Branch up while he's leaning on them. Where as Okoye is same height or smaller and there leaning more on him. You get tired quicker when someone is leaning on you. Branch will tire the OL out, while the OL will tire Okoye out.

Branch is who we need to make this D click. Okoye will be a good player but he's not what we need on this D. Branch will be an intimedating presence on our D.

I have a question for everyone. Is it harder to lift on the flat bench or the incline bench? The incline is diffently harder. My point is being that Branch is taller, most OL will have to block up ( or push up like an incline lift ) and try to hold Branch up while he's leaning on them. Where as Okoye is same height or smaller and there leaning more on him. You get tired quicker when someone is leaning on you. Branch will tire the OL out, while the OL will tire Okoye out.

Branch would be about the same height as most O-lineman so it would be just like doing a flat bench press. Where as Okoye can get under the O-line and with his powerful legs would gain the leverage battle and get a push. Branch would more likely be involved in a stalemate situation. Where he gets no where and the O-lineman gets nowhere. Most O-line will be better equipped to control Branch by the shoulders so then he goes where they want him to go. Okoye they can't control his shoulders as well plus Okoye has a higher motor and endurance than Branch so who would really get tired first.

If someone is leaning on you then the advantage is yours cause one step in either direction they fall off. Try it and see how it turns out.

Why? Because he's fat?

If I saw correctly we have 5 DTs on roster at present. Assuming Branch goes in the one slot at least one possibly two players will eventually have to be cut. It might also be possible that the same needs to happen with okoye. To me though its more about money. I think branch will be one of those guys that doesn't rotate as much as Okoye might therefore we'd have dead money sitting there on the bench.

I'd have to disagree. I think Okoye would be able to stay on the field longer than Branch. He is in better shape for starters. Branch will probably get tired after 2 or 3 plays. If we dont get a 3-n-out then he will be out by the 4th play. Okoye has a higher and longer lasting motor.

like Skinsinparadise posted, drafting a DT in the first round isn't that good of an idea, as since the two I remember, Johnathan Sullivan and Dewayne Robertson (I think - both were referred to as Baby Sapp I think) it can go either way - just look at the Eagles last year who drafted Broderick Bunkley, who is from my area, he rarely got on the field.

I still say to trade down to right before Buffalo picks and draft Patrick Willis, this kid IS going to be a beast, and for all the people saying, but we just signed London Fletcher! he is aging and although I love the signing, he is only a band-aid ...

I'd have to disagree. I think Okoye would be able to stay on the field longer than Branch. He is in better shape for starters. Branch will probably get tired after 2 or 3 plays. If we dont get a 3-n-out then he will be out by the 4th play. Okoye has a higher and longer lasting motor.

Misconception. Branch played a higher % of snaps than any member of the Michigan DL, which was top DL in the nation versus the run. Since becoming a starting DT, Branch has played more than 85% of the entire defensive snaps. That's exceptional, and it belies this baseless notion circulating that Branch somehow lacks endurance, or is out of shape. Those are falsehoods, and hopefully people can begin to start seeing past such misconceptions.

Let's assume the FO decides it most needs a Defensive Tackle from this draft, which one is the best fit longterm. Okoye is young and highly motivated, but a bit undersized. Branch is huge, but not as quick on the ball and sometimes gets locked on blocks.

So the question is which would you pick?

Okoye is a glorified project that will need time to grow or be comfortable with more weight which could slow him down and cause him to take time off on plays because he might be burned out quicker than other heavier Defensive Tackles.

I think it's either Allan Branch or Tank Tyler.

Let's assume the FO decides it most needs a Defensive Tackle from this draft, which one is the best fit longterm. Okoye is young and highly motivated, but a bit undersized. Branch is huge, but not as quick on the ball and sometimes gets locked on blocks.

I've been wondering if maybe Branch would be better, because finding a pro with that size to move as a free agent next year could be difficult, but finding someone ala Okoye's size shouldn't be a problem.

Okoye still has room to upsize though, so he could be bigger than branch at some point to.

What do you guys think?

Which one do you draft, or do you not care trade down and try to snag someone later?

Adam Carriker is the guy to pick! I hope we get this kid!:gaintsuck

Misconception. Branch played a higher % of snaps than any member of the Michigan DL, which was top DL in the nation versus the run. Since becoming a starting DT, Branch has played more than 85% of the entire defensive snaps. That's exceptional, and it belies this baseless notion circulating that Branch somehow lacks endurance, or is out of shape. Those are falsehoods, and hopefully people can begin to start seeing past such misconceptions.

I think there is some truth in what you are saying. I just realized that Okoye was 295 lbs at the Combine and 301 at his Pro Day. Golston was listed at 295 and played at 292. Golston is 2 inches taller that Okoye. Everyone is harping the Redskins for not draft players for defense like the eagles, ravens, etc. and they may have actually done that last year with Golston and Montgomery. I think Okoye may actually be a huge bust, not because of his play, but because he will have the same impact and growth as Golston did except that he was drafted in the 1st round and paid alot more money. I think we all know how hard Golston plays and still working to replace our aging DTs. I think Branch is the better choice between these two because you can't teach size. Branch was just built better to stop the run at the NFL level. I know Okoye is 19 and all but that really has no bearing on how he will grow or anything like that. He may not get another inch taller. I mean has been weight training at high level being that he was in a Division I-A program and who knows he if can keep the weight on. Golston came in at like 295 and even got up to 300 but he actually played at 292 lbs. High motor guys like Golston and Okoye will continue to have problems packing on the pounds. Branch is just built big (324 lbs) and has one less thing to worry about. I don't think his stamina should be a huge problem because chances are he wouldn't be playing all three downs. He would probably be rotating in and out with Golston, Griff, Salave'a and Montgomery. IMO, if going DT, Branch would be the better choice if you're looking for an NFL-ready DT.

Okoye is a glorified project that will need time to grow or be comfortable with more weight which could slow him down and cause him to take time off on plays because he might be burned out quicker than other heavier Defensive Tackles.

I think it's either Allan Branch or Tank Tyler.

Okoye weighed 312 as a junior and lost that weight for his senior year. Why would he feel uncomfortable with gaining back some more? He was 295 and he's at around 302 right now.

Okoye weighed 312 as a junior and lost that weight for his senior year. Why would he feel uncomfortable with gaining back some more? He was 295 and he's at around 302 right now.

Well he was most effective his senior year right? I mean the obviously advised him to lose the weight to be more effective right? Maybe he wasn't as effective at 312 lbs. And frankly, Golston is 2 inches taller and has the same motor. I think Golston may have been a late round gem that will do well this year. Branch is 324 lbs. Nuff said. If you're worried about his motor just realize that he will be in better shape in the NFL AND he won't be asked to play every down anyways. He will probably get a nice rotation going between Golston, Branch, Griff & Salave'a and with Montgomery if one of the oldtimers go down with injuries.

we need a bigger line, griffen is a case in point . the shelf life of smaller dt is alot shorter than a big body. we need a blocker eater that can tie up the o line and then the safteys and the lb's can search and destroy.and they last longer, look at ted washington, keith traylor, 37 year olds being paid to eat up blockers.

we need a bigger line, griffen is a case in point . the shelf life of smaller dt is alot shorter than a big body. we need a blocker eater that can tie up the o line and then the safteys and the lb's can search and destroy.and they last longer, look at ted washington, keith traylor, 37 year olds being paid to eat up blockers.

I agree thats why I want them to take a look at Walter Thomas in the later rounds. He's 370 lbs. Could be a gem, could be a bust but hes worth a look.

Archived