Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Fletcher and Nate Clements...coming our way.

radskin

What a NIGHTMARE! If we seriously sign these guys, our FO is officially retarded and haven't learned a thing. How many $10 million+ signing bonuses are we going to dish out? How many more years of absolutely NO DEPTH will we endure? You can't win in the NFL with the roster the Redskins fielded last year. Again, we'll dish out so much money, the players will have no drive to try their hardest...Whatever

actually, these two signings would give us good depth at positions that we were hurting at. If we do make these signings, the only other position I would be concerned about depth wise would be o-line

London Fletcher would be awful. He was a total shadow of his former self last year and his best days are well behind him. Fletcher would be a bad move. I know we need MLB help, but this is NOT the answer. Fletcher would actually be a downgrade from Marshall.

Clements................... too expensive and overrated. He's a good player but he is not worth what he is going to get on the market this year.

go look at stats before you say stuff like that. The guy hasnt lost a step his whole career

Fantasy Football still lives in Washington.

Besides Detroit is going hard after Fletcher and according to CBS Sportsline, he's looking for a 3-4 year deal with an $8-12M bonus. That's way too much for a 32 year old MLB. AND he's "small" according to standards for a MLB. 5-10/245. He's no reason to break the bank.

As for Clements...three words....TOO MUCH MONEY. Dre Bly and Asante Samuel are both going to be available, and their numbers are not much different than Clements. In fact, if we want an INT-machine...look to Samuel. Any player who announces that he wants to be the highest paid player at his position does not speak much character. Tell me you want to play for a winner or get to the Big Game and let your agent take care of the dollars. I'm not sure winning is Clements' priority.

and yet, it is okay for Samuel to sport a "get paid" tattoo :doh:

Apparently there is a guy on here with some connections saying there is a really good chance that Smoot it coming back. He didnt do so well in Minny, but he did well in GWs system when he was here, so he should work out better then others we can get. I am all for giving him another chance and seeing what happens.

I still remember his last game as a redskin. Playing out there with a shoulder injury, he played with such little self regard. On back to back plays he went in hard on tackles with the same shoulder that was injured. I love smoot, and I would love him to be back here and hear his name being echoed throughout the stadium

rogers is good, despite what people say about him. hes usually around the ball, he got torched maybe twice this season (one not being his fault, an all out 8 man blitz should get some penetration) and he ranked pretty high in passes defended, plus i dont think he gave up a lot of TDs. he needs a Dline to bring pressure so he can truly show how talented he is.

I agree. I was critical of Rogers early on this year, but after going back and looking at some game footage, I think he could still turn into a great player.

Remember, this was only the guys 2 year in the league. he SHOULD keep getting better.

I still remember his last game as a redskin. Playing out there with a shoulder injury, he played with such little self regard. On back to back plays he went in hard on tackles with the same shoulder that was injured. I love smoot, and I would love him to be back here and hear his name being echoed throughout the stadium
Yeah, I liked him too. Was small, but he always played hard. He did well here, and I think if he came back he would do well again. I would be very happy to have him back as a number 3 corner, or 4 depending on who else we get.

london fletcher...eh, maybe. i'm ok with Nate Clements...but...

why on earth would we target Nate Clements when we could get Asante Samuel????

we must have Asante Samuel...period. i gaurantee that makes our D 30% better. then we should look at either DeWayne Jarrett in the draft (i still believe we need a tall receiver in this league) or Tedd Ginn jr. if more speed is what we want. we should also consider Reggie Nelson even though i think he's naturally a free safety we could move him to the strong safety position and really have a couple of atheletes back there.

i firmly believe we can find D-lineman in free agency. besides...the only D-lineman that is worth a #6 pick is Alan Branch and we already have Griffin & Golston who showed very good upside this year.

we have had a lot of success substituting free agency for the draft when it comes to defensive linemen.............Stubblefield, Wilkinson, Smith, Upshaw, Carter, etc...... :)

the Redskins are the only team that has not drafted a DL with their first pick since 1997. and if you look at the cap dollars wasted over the years on overrated free agents and poor trades (Griffin excepted), DL is a main culprit whether the GM was Casserly or Cerrato.

london fletcher...eh, maybe. i'm ok with Nate Clements...but...

why on earth would we target Nate Clements when we could get Asante Samuel????

we must have Asante Samuel...period. i gaurantee that makes our D 30% better. then we should look at either DeWayne Jarrett in the draft (i still believe we need a tall receiver in this league) or Tedd Ginn jr. if more speed is what we want. we should also consider Reggie Nelson even though i think he's naturally a free safety we could move him to the strong safety position and really have a couple of atheletes back there.

i firmly believe we can find D-lineman in free agency. besides...the only D-lineman that is worth a #6 pick is Alan Branch and we already have Griffin & Golston who showed very good upside this year.

Mostly because he is still an unknown quantity but will still probably be asking for tons of money. I say he is an unknown quantity because he has really only had one great year and is also coming from a team that is well known for it's system taking mediocre talent and getting a lot out of it. Clements is a proven shutdown CB and is well regarded around the league for his talent and playmaking abilities. Another positive is that he has played for GW before and knows his schemes. Sure he will probably cost more than Samuel, but IMO probably not that much more. If we're going to pay big money I'll go with the proven guy as opposed to the possible one season wonder.

Draft should go D line, IMO. My first choice would be Anderson, second would be Branch. The only way we should even think about getting a WR is if CJ drops do us, and even then it is iffy. There are some decent D line guys in FA but some of them will either be re-signed or franchised. I'd rather pick up a young talented guy in the draft.

please write down the great players that have left New England and been stars on other teams :)

let's face it. when the Patriots are through with a player he usually doesn't have much left in the tank OR is asking for big, big money based on how he played in Bellichick's defensive system.

Whoever signs Samuel for a $15 million bonus is going to be disappointed.

Watch.

Samuel has actually improved steadily each year in the league & really showed that he is a true shut-down corner over the course of a year where New England really had a lot of injuries on that side of the ball.

talk about system guys...how about Law & Milloy? i think Asante is in the same mold as Law & will make somebody very happy. besides...we need a couple more playmakers on D. we have enough glue guys or system guys that play a role...the area we need to improve most on D is TURNOVERS. cuz we had like 2 all year.

my question would be then why is the 25 year old Samuel not considered to be a core player by NE like a Brady or Seymour who ends up getting the coin to stay? :)

if NE is a game away from the SB and still feels it can let Samuel go and move on, how valuable is he for the dollars?

I agree that getting Samuel for his rookie contract would be a great addition.

But the thought of paying him $15-$18 million makes you stop and think about what the player has actually achieved.

I don't see him as a 'must have' player.

Evidently, neither does Scott Pioli.

Samuel has actually improved steadily each year in the league & really showed that he is a true shut-down corner over the course of a year where New England really had a lot of injuries on that side of the ball.

talk about system guys...how about Law & Milloy? i think Asante is in the same mold as Law & will make somebody very happy. besides...we need a couple more playmakers on D. we have enough glue guys or system guys that play a role...the area we need to improve most on D is TURNOVERS. cuz we had like 2 all year.

03, 04, 05 he had 2, 1 and 3 INTs respectively. Then this year he suddenly had 10. I'm sure he has talent but it isn't like he had 3, 5, and 8 INT years leading up to this one. If he wasn't from NE I'd be much more interested, but there really have been plenty of guys that come out of their system looking for big bucks and then end up being mediocre at best.

As far as playmaking, I agree. And I think Clements would fit that role just fine. Maybe I'll end up wrong about Samuel and he'll have another great year wherever he goes, but I have a feeling it is unlikely.

What we target, we unfortunately always get :doh:

I don't think so this time.I saw a article saying we can't get Clements.I mean we can offer him a big contract.The article said there are to many teams that want CBs this year.In other words we can offer him big money,but other teams can offer him better money.So we will see how it works out.If we didn't get him it might be the best thing for us.I mean maybe then our FO would try to keep some of our draft picks.

I don't think so this time.I saw a article saying we can't get Clements.I mean we can offer him a big contract.The article said there are to many teams that want CBs this year.In other words we can offer him big money,but other teams can offer him better money.So we will see how it works out.If we didn't get him it might be the best thing for us.I mean maybe then our FO would try to keep some of our draft picks.

True enough, however keep in mind that Clements played for GW and by all accounts they had a very good relationship. If he gets similar offers from a few different teams I wouldn't be surprised if he went with the Skins because of GW. Perhaps if we were getting Fletcher as well that could be an incentive; he is very well liked and respected by the Bills players. Personally, I'd like to see Fletcher here. I was reading an article about the Bills losing both of those guys and how much it would impact the D:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/SPORTS03/612300320/1021

"Those guys are hard to come by," Fewell said. "If you've got a really good corner like that, they're invaluable. You can't find guys like that each and every year, especially with the experience he has and the knowledge he has. That would be a big blow. To me, that would be the biggest piece to replace on our defense."

That's saying a lot because Fletcher is such an integral part of the defense. Not only has he led the team in tackles all five years, he has played in Buffalo, he is the coach on the field, the guy everyone else turns to when times are tough.

"London does so much for us, getting us all lined up and getting the calls," said defensive tackle Larry Tripplett.

Said Fewell: "He's taken so much heat off the young guys. He's making all the adjustments, calling all the defenses, he's lining the front up and the secondary; he runs the whole show. So yes, to lose him would be tough for us. He's our Ray Lewis from the perspective of he's the guy who people look to."

Personally, I think it would be great to have a true MLB who is out there doing all of that stuff for us in addition to making lots of tackles.

Archived