Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Fletcher and Nate Clements...coming our way.

radskin

London Fletcher, is another lavar. Big hype and little play. Just because he played for Greg W, they think he will be good here. It will be a waste of money. Greg williams wants the whole buffalo defense here at double the price.

I agree, If we take him than next year we will be kicking our selves in the butt for not going after Samuel. 2 times the player for less money. Sure he will still be pricey but at least he doesnt remind me of the CB we picked up from Dallas a few years back( I wont even mention that #%&$*^ name)

Man, I'd like to have Samuel too, but at the same time, I'm cautious about that move, because New England can have success with any player.

London Fletcher' date=' is another lavar. Big hype and little play. Just because he played for Greg W, they think he will be good here. It will be a waste of money. Greg williams wants the whole buffalo defense here at double the price.[/quote']In what way is Fletcher another Lavar? Do you know how many games Fletcher has missed in his NFL career?

Man, I'd like to have Samuel too, but at the same time, I'm cautious about that move, because New England can have success with any player.

I honestly think Asante Samuel transcends his coaching. I believe in four or five years he will be regarded as one of the best CB to ever play. Hopefully he will be wearing a Redskisn jersey as that happens. If this is the only signing this year, then Ill be happy enough. A MLB would be nice though.

While I can believe that there is speculation that we will go after these guys, we simply cannot afford it. Clements has been outspoken in saying that he wants more than Champ, and Fletcher will ask for a hefty sum of money too, given his production despite his age. After seeing all the Smoot threads around here, and thinking about it more and more, I wouldn't mind seeing ole' Smoooooooooooooot back here . . . for the right price, of course. Smoot would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Clements. Or, how about the corners from the Colts? I think both Harper and David are free agents, who will both be undoubtedly cheaper (maybe even combined) than Clements.

IF Clements lowers his asking price for some reason . . . maybe because he wants to play for G. Williams again . . . and we can convince him that we have a winning team (something he may want after playing with Buffalo) . . . If all of this happens, then sure, give it a look . . . But this team cannot afford getting a 15million dollar signing bonus corner.

While I can believe that there is speculation that we will go after these guys, we simply cannot afford it. Clements has been outspoken in saying that he wants more than Champ, and Fletcher will ask for a hefty sum of money too, given his production despite his age. After seeing all the Smoot threads around here, and thinking about it more and more, I wouldn't mind seeing ole' Smoooooooooooooot back here . . . for the right price, of course. Smoot would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Clements. Or, how about the corners from the Colts? I think both Harper and David are free agents, who will both be undoubtedly cheaper (maybe even combined) than Clements.

IF Clements lowers his asking price for some reason . . . maybe because he wants to play for G. Williams again . . . and we can convince him that we have a winning team (something he may want after playing with Buffalo) . . . If all of this happens, then sure, give it a look . . . But this team cannot afford getting a 15million dollar signing bonus corner.

Something I have learned from being a Skins fan in the salary cap era is that if we are actually targeting a guy, no matter what our cap # 90% of the time we will get him. Fletcher and Clements are the first two rumored to be targeted, let the rumors substantiate and watch the Skins outbid everyone else.

SI had a listing of the top 20 FA's and London didnt make the list.

We need a real MLB so bad it hurts and it looks like we wont pay TOP dollar for London.

I dont know about Nate yet, but evidently he thinks he is as good as champ. I doubt that.

Something I have learned from being a Skins fan in the salary cap era is that if we are actually targeting a guy, no matter what our cap # 90% of the time we will get him. Fletcher and Clements are the first two rumored to be targeted, let the rumors substantiate and watch the Skins outbid everyone else.

Unfortunately, man, you are right. Here's to hoping that the FO doesn't break the bank and further set this team back by bringing in 2 guys for the price of 4.:cheers:

DE carter

DT (draft, FA)

DT griffin

DE (draft, FA)

OLB rocky

MLB fletcher

OLB washington

CB clements

CB rogers

FS taylor

SS prieleau/springs

You're suggesting we acquire 5 new starters on the defensive side of the ball (including PP over AA). What ever happened to consistency and continuity? I'm all for PP at SS, and a DL in the draft. However I don't think FA is a place we should be looking for starters. This year's FA class should be depth and role players.

As much as I've liked Clements through his career I do not want to see either of these guys in B&G. Fletcher is a VERY short term answer, and I'm not convinced next year is a Superbowl year so I don't see the point. Lemar has proven he CAN play MLB with a decent line infront of him. Guess what, Fletcher is virtually the same size as Marshall so as far as size its not an improvement.

Clements wants to be the highest paid corner, that means 20M signing bonus. With that kind of money Springs is pretty much a guaruntee cap casualty, and that means we still have no nickel corner. I don't see either of these guys as upgrades, just uneccesary changes.

London Fletcher' date=' is another lavar. Big hype and little play. Just because he played for Greg W, they think he will be good here. It will be a waste of money. Greg williams wants the whole buffalo defense here at double the price.[/quote']

good call. i mean, its not like fletcher has only missed half a season in his 9 year career, or that over his past 7 of 8 seasons hes had over 115 tackles. just like lavar arrington hahahaha.

I'd love to see both of them here as long we don't break the bank. If we get Clements and Fletcher, draft a DL (Anderson or Branch) we'd be pretty much set. Of course, depending on who we draft, there would be another need at DT/DE, but that can be solved via lowly FAs or later rounds of the draft. Either way, hopefully Daniels or Golston can hold up another year as starter if they're called upon.

I can't possibly see us getting those two without breaking the Bank. Fletcher seems like a good guy, but Clements has already said that he plans on becoming the highest paid cornerback. Plus, its not like Players come to DC to play here, they come for the money. If they're not getting that huge paycheck, they don't want to be here.

You're suggesting we acquire 5 new starters on the defensive side of the ball (including PP over AA). What ever happened to consistency and continuity? I'm all for PP at SS, and a DL in the draft. However I don't think FA is a place we should be looking for starters. This year's FA class should be depth and role players.

As much as I've liked Clements through his career I do not want to see either of these guys in B&G. Fletcher is a VERY short term answer, and I'm not convinced next year is a Superbowl year so I don't see the point. Lemar has proven he CAN play MLB with a decent line infront of him. Guess what, Fletcher is virtually the same size as Marshall so as far as size its not an improvement.

Well, our defence was horrid. Do you really want those guys starting again? And you are very wrong about Fletcher. The guy is 250, Marshall is more like 220. The only thing they are about the same in is age.

Clements wants to be the highest paid corner, that means 20M signing bonus. With that kind of money Springs is pretty much a guaruntee cap casualty, and that means we still have no nickel corner. I don't see either of these guys as upgrades, just uneccesary changes.

consistency with young guys learning is one ball park, consistency with guys past the twilight of their careers is another. would you truly want Daniels, Holdman, Wynn, Wright, Salavea, and Archuleta playing with this team again next year because it keeps consistency???? god not a chance in hell would i want to see any of them on the field, becuase they arent good football players. now, i want to see consistency with lloyd and campbell and moss and RE and portis because that is a talented group of guys that had issues this year with injuries and lack of production. but theyre young and capable of producing, unlike our defense, injured or not. but then again, injury comes with age, so were setting ourselves up for that.

So here we are ready to overpay for Fletcher and Clements, when keeping Pierce and Smoot two years ago would have been much cheaper and we would've had a much more complete defense. One step forward, two steps back. Can't wait to see what Clements bonus is.

Ok, I'm a Smoot fan but lets get real here...He is nowhere near the player that Clements is.

However, I am suggesting I'd rather have us sign Smoot and keep Springs as opposed to using a ton of $ on Clements.

good call. i mean, its not like fletcher has only missed half a season in his 9 year career, or that over his past 7 of 8 seasons hes had over 115 tackles. just like lavar arrington hahahaha.

lol yeah... You would think that if someone is going to make a comment on a player they would at LEAST look them up to keep from saying something dumb.

Ok, I'm a Smoot fan but lets get real here...He is nowhere near the player that Clements is.

However, I am suggesting I'd rather have us sign Smoot and keep Springs as opposed to using a ton of $ on Clements.

Apparently there is a guy on here with some connections saying there is a really good chance that Smoot it coming back. He didnt do so well in Minny, but he did well in GWs system when he was here, so he should work out better then others we can get. I am all for giving him another chance and seeing what happens.

London Fletcher would be a rock solid addition at an affordable price. However, Clements is a great corner, but not a good deal in terms of the salary cap. I'd go for Fletcher, Roderick Hood and someone said Ricky Manning Jr. is also a free agent. Two solid corners would be much better than one.

If we get Clements, then we can expect Rogers to get torched on the other side.

Mixed feelings on this...

1) If we can't seem to resist the urge to blow wads of money each and every time March rolls around, then lets blow it on key positions like CB, Dline, and Oline. I don't want to see us spend huge money on peripheral positions like WR and Safety (unless it's resigning our own) ever again. If it's between Clements or Samuel and say...Lance Briggs for roughly the same $$$ - I have to grab the CB every time.

2) While Clements has shown the POTENTIAL to be a top 5 CB, I worry about where his head will be once he gets paid. He also seems to be hitting the market at a time when teams have money to burn and his price is going to get driven up beyond his worth. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get 20 mill up front and I just don't think that's the best way to operate. I'd rather spread it around. But like I said - if we have to go crazy - CB is a lynchpin position in this defense so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

3) London Fletcher seems logical on a number of fronts:

He's got playoff experience and experience in Williams defense from 2002/2003.

He's versatile - playing both the MLB and WLB.

He'll allow us to move Marshall back to the weakside where he can compete with McIntosh. So it improves us at 2 positions.

He's an excellent tackler - one of the best in the league at his position.

He wouldn't be too expensive at his age.

He seems to fit the attitude that our coaches like: high energy overachiever.

Apparently there is a guy on here with some connections saying there is a really good chance that Smoot it coming back. He didnt do so well in Minny, but he did well in GWs system when he was here, so he should work out better then others we can get. I am all for giving him another chance and seeing what happens.

Smoot left here for big money. I like him, but only if the price is right.

Smoot is only 175 and lacks adequate footspeed. This was exposed in Minnesota. To me he is an upgrade over Kenny Wright as the #3 who also lacked size and was a step slow in coverage, but that is about it. Thinking that Smoot is the answer in the secondary as a potential starter is a mistake.

Smoot is only 175 and lacks adequate footspeed. This was exposed in Minnesota. To me he is an upgrade over Kenny Wright as the #3 who also lacked size and was a step slow in coverage, but that is about it. Thinking that Smoot is the answer in the secondary as a potential starter is a mistake.

I dont think he is the answer, but I think he would be an upgrade over what we have. If we could also bring in a guy like... I dont know, Jason David, a decent corner, it would be pretty good setup. We could have Springs, Rogers, Smoot, and David as our CB, which I think would be decent enough to help us out a lot. Those guys with the D-Line I think would play just fine. Though if we had Clements, Rogers/Springs, Smoot I would be ok with that too. :D

the key to your former scenario is the development of Rogers. IMO Rogers is THE key to the secondary. if he develops as the #9 overall pick should over time, the Redskins will be well-positioned bringing in complementary players as the #3 and #4.

if not, then the team is in the position of having to find a young anchor for the secondary and that means spending real dollars.

Archived