Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Fletcher and Nate Clements...coming our way.

radskin

Smoot is only 175 and lacks adequate footspeed. This was exposed in Minnesota. To me he is an upgrade over Kenny Wright as the #3 who also lacked size and was a step slow in coverage, but that is about it. Thinking that Smoot is the answer in the secondary as a potential starter is a mistake.

Bulldog, in no way do I believe Smoot is the answer for the secondary. Do I believe he would be an upgrade though, yes. Smooty's last year here he had a pro bowl player type season. Do I believe he could rekindle some of that magic with a little bit of hardwork in DC, yes...the guy openly admitted that leaving DC for Minny was a mistake about half way through his 1st season there. The guy is a Skin all the way through, his skills have probably diminished but the guy is certainly a better player than Kenny Wright.

the key to your former scenario is the development of Rogers. IMO Rogers is THE key to the secondary. if he develops as the #9 overall pick should over time, the Redskins will be well-positioned bringing in complementary players as the #3 and #4.

if not, then the team is in the position of having to find a young anchor for the secondary and that means spending real dollars.

Oh I agree. We need Rogers to step up, and I think he will. He has shown he is a good CB, but he does need to improve. He could also take some tips from Polemalu and practicing catching a bunch of balls every practice. You dont see Troy dropping much.

rogers is good, despite what people say about him. hes usually around the ball, he got torched maybe twice this season (one not being his fault, an all out 8 man blitz should get some penetration) and he ranked pretty high in passes defended, plus i dont think he gave up a lot of TDs. he needs a Dline to bring pressure so he can truly show how talented he is.

How is this? Fletcher had 146 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 ints. More int's than any player on our team last year.

Incredibly weak at the point of attack. Much slower than he used to be. Don't let the tackle stats fool you. Every team has leading tackler, but that doesn't mean the guy who piles up all the tackles is a great player.

well, this team is obviously looking to recover quickly in 2007 for the 66 year old Gibbs, and there is a dearth of middle linebackers available. The 32 year old Fletcher is going to be more affordable than some and won a Super Bowl with the Rams, which will be attractive to the Redskins, who have continued to sign ex-Patriots each offseason when given the opportunity.

I agree that I would probably pass on Fletcher and put my dollars in at CB to replace Springs. I would take the #6 pick, either select a DL or move down and then target a middle linebacker in the mid-tier free agent market that is a bit younger and more athletic than Fletcher.

We are not going to pursue Dwight Freeney greg williams said the last two years he doesnt fit the scheme. Code he is a turf player that is not that god against the run

What we going to do, put Carter on the bench or move him on the otherside so we have two undersized DEs??

Plus he isn't going to come cheap and there are team with similar DE needs with more money and looks more attractive(turf and dome).

Incredibly weak at the point of attack. Much slower than he used to be. Don't let the tackle stats fool you. Every team has leading tackler, but that doesn't mean the guy who piles up all the tackles is a great player.

i disagree. you cant argue tackles, because its a tackle. and hes been tops for last 7 or 8 years. hes bigger than marshall, and 145 tackles is hard to argue with. thats 40+ more than marshall had this year, plus he had 14 PDs this year, which is pretty good for a MLB. plus, in terms of solo tackles, he had over 100 which is great for anybody. the guy has probably lost a step, but as long as he can stop the run i dont care. hes definitely an upgrade, and probably wont cost an arm and a leg.

I agree. The MLB spot is usually the #1 or #2 tackler spot for every team. Last year for the Redskins, the #2 leading tackler was....

SURPRISE!!!

Lemar Marshall with 104 tackles.

The Beast (Taylor) had 114. DBs usually do better with solo tackles for obvious reasons.

You might argue that the higher overall tackle count for one MLB over another is due to his ability to shed blockers and get to the ball more easily, but there are lots of reasons why one might be better. 3-4 vs 4-3, stronger attack by the DL, fear of the LB beside you (hey, Urlacher has made stars of Roosevelt Colvin and Lance Briggs, but does anyone think Colvin was nearly as good in NE as he was in Chicago?).

Fletcher is nice because he's proven, but at his age, he's already past his prime. I see him healthy for maybe a year and then going down to injury. We have enough over-the-hill veterans. We need to start to develop a YOUNG guy who can become a Fletcher. Hasn't anybody learned that from Springs going down? Griffin?

Don't worry about Clements. There's isn't a check that Snyder won't sign. :doh:

We are not going to pursue Dwight Freeney greg williams said the last two years he doesnt fit the scheme. Code he is a turf player that is not that god against the run

What we going to do, put Carter on the bench or move him on the otherside so we have two undersized DEs??

Plus he isn't going to come cheap and there are team with similar DE needs with more money and looks more attractive(turf and dome).

Points taken, but my point was tongue-in-cheek.

;)

Luckily neither guy is an Arch, B-LLoyd or A-Carter, all 3 of those guys were gamble signings. I had to put a lot of "potential" and "successful-rehab" into my excitement last year (of which there was plenty).

What annoys me is we won't break the cycle, this team is like a heroin addict, so deep in it can't stop, because you can't go to work if you don't have your fix. Arrrgggh! Just win games dammit!

Actually....these are the only big name moves I wouldn't mind seeing. It's not like we're reaching for another bust like AA when we already had Clark. These are holes in our defense that can be immediately improved.

If we're going to pickup any other FA's, I just hope that they're the typical character-type players Coach Gibbs sees fitting in.

Absolutely, we need help in the secondary and at MLB.

Stop being petty. Just because we overpaid for AA doesn't mean that every new freee agent will be a bust. This is the salary cap era...EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE TARGETS FREE AGENTS.

everyone needs to calm down and hopefully embrace these guys if they come here, if not, we need to embrace anyone they bring in.

Only person I'm willing to give big money to is Adalius Thomas. Forget Clements, we need depth and Hood and Smoot would be cheaper then Clements. Then we could use some of that saved money to resign Cooley and Dockery.

Actually we don't need much depth at that position. What we need is a true #1 shutdown CB who can stay healthy. Springs is a shutdown CB when he is completely healthy but that happens so rarely that it isn't really even worth mentioning. That is why they are looking at Clements.

Archived