Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Fletcher and Nate Clements...coming our way.

radskin

Jags fans think we will land him, funny reading:

Posted by D6

If the Jaguars' brass is targeting Nate Clements, they are going to have to be very aggressive. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Clements' agent is on the phone with Daniel Snyder and/ or Joe Gibbs at 12:01am on March 2. With Clements coming to suburban Washington DC. later that day for a FA visit.

The combination of Daniel Snyder throwing around money like it's candy and Clements being drafted by the Bills when Redskins top Defensive Assistant Gregg Williams was Buffalo's HC leads me to believe that Clements would sign a contract with the Redskins before his next scheduled visit would have taken place. For that reason, the Jaguars would more likely than not need to schedule a visit with Clements before he gets on a plane to the DC area.

http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic196881-6-2.aspx#bm197234

I'll take Fletcher, but Clements... no. Waaay to expensive.

Are we really convinced that Springs is completely done as a cover corner?

Or that Carlos is a bust?

We need a good nickel. Smoot?

Why break the bank on an overpriced corner? I just don't get it.

I don't think Springs is completely done as a cover necessarily, but he is close to it. When he is at 100% he can still be a true shutdown corner, but that happens so rarely that it is mostly a daydream. He is also not getting any younger. Carlos is not a bust, but he still has major improvements to make and doesn't seem ready to be a full time #1 corner yet. Having Clements would give us a top tier shutdown corner who is young, healthy, and proven. He has shut down some of the best WRs in the game. Sure, we could bring Smoot in as a nickel, but if Clements came here we would also have Springs in nickel packages.

I don't think Springs is completely done as a cover necessarily, but he is close to it. When he is at 100% he can still be a true shutdown corner, but that happens so rarely that it is mostly a daydream. He is also not getting any younger. Carlos is not a bust, but he still has major improvements to make and doesn't seem ready to be a full time #1 corner yet. Having Clements would give us a top tier shutdown corner who is young, healthy, and proven. He has shut down some of the best WRs in the game. Sure, we could bring Smoot in as a nickel, but if Clements came here we would also have Springs in nickel packages.

Have have to also remember Springs might not be back next year.

Actually....these are the only big name moves I wouldn't mind seeing. It's not like we're reaching for another bust like AA when we already had Clark. These are holes in our defense that can be immediately improved.

If we're going to pickup any other FA's, I just hope that they're the typical character-type players Coach Gibbs sees fitting in.

Does anyone Know Nate clement's stats or how he was used primarily? I don't want another bust like Archuleta. In Greg Williams schemes A Cornerback is one on on a lot of the time. I just hope before they sign anyone they look at their job on the previous team. If we can't change the scheme to match the player at least get a player that matches the scheme. Even if he is a big name player. The Front Office needs to do thier Job.

For instants Christian Mortan was a corner back no one had really heard of. but he did a Decent job for us in 2005. They let him go and get BIG Name Archuleta and our defense starts sticking like limburger cheese.

Some more Clements info posted today, 2/15. Info is posted at the bottom of the page. This fellow normally gets some very good information.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2007draft.html

Al's Hot NFL News and Rumor Blog

02/15...The NFL's free-agency period doesn't begin until March...but one rumor that is circulating around the league is the Washington Redskins pursuit of Bills Cb Nate Clements...this comes as no surprise because Clements is a personal favorite of Redskins DC Gregg Williams who drafted Clements while he was the head coach of the Bills ...however as I pointed out in my 02/08 column...the Redskins will need to make some big moves to clear some Cap space in order for a Clements signing to happen...I updated My Mock once again today with several Big changes!

Yep, just went over there as it took a long time to get in and after the Clements and Bly info, it surely stated that the rumor abounded Betts for Vilma. What LB position does he play. Does anyone know for sure. Seems to me he is an OLB. If he is playing MLB for the Jets, then I'd do the trade in a heartbeat, but for some reason I am thinking he is a OLB. Now, if they want to move Washington to MLB, it might work. Washington is 6' 3" 250lbs. He would be more than adequate in H and W to play the position. There might be something to this. Rumors have been abounding that Marshall may be done at MLB. I could see this happening and would make the move. The only thing that sucks is that we signed Betts to a very friendly contract. Vilma would demand a hefty one. That's where we would lose out big time.

I don't know how much credibility that is, but i'd send Betts to NY in a HEARTBEAT for Jonathan Vilma. He's an absolute monster, and immediately fills our need at MLB. Also doesn't hurt that he's from the U :D

He is a beast but there is no way NY would accept a straight 1 for 1 on that. They'll be asking for more from us; draft picks, etc. In that case I'd rather pass. We really need to start keeping our draft picks. Secondly, that would send a pretty crappy message around to players in a franchise that really needs more cohesiveness. Betts re-signs with us without shopping around, for a very reasonable price and then we dump him as soon as we have the chance to fill a different position. Players certainly didn't like the way Pierce and Clark were treated; I think this would just be the next incident of that.

Some other information on Vilma. His contract details:

http://www.fanball.com/fb/playerProfile.cfm/pid.3150

Jonathan Vilma, LB, New York Jets Age: 24

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 223 lbs.

In League: 4 Yrs

Depth Postion: Starter

College: Miami

Contract Expires: 2008

Contract Details

Vilma signed a five-year deal on July 27, 2004. According to the New York Post, the deal is worth $10.3 million, includig a $1.22 million reporting bonus. The Post also notes incentive clauses of up to $3.9 million over the life of the deal.

This means he would be a Skin for 2 years, both in 07 and 08. This deal kind of makes sense to me. Fletcher from the Bills would be much cheaper and has produced each and every year and already knows GW's scheme, but with Vilma at only 24 yrs of age, he hasn't even reached his prime yet. I would do the deal in a heartbeat, renegotiate a contract extention with him when he came here and be very happy. I can only think that maybe CP has something to do with this though. Maybe not???????

He is a beast but there is no way NY would accept a straight 1 for 1 on that. They'll be asking for more from us; draft picks, etc. In that case I'd rather pass. We really need to start keeping our draft picks. Secondly, that would send a pretty crappy message around to players in a franchise that really needs more cohesiveness. Betts re-signs with us without shopping around, for a very reasonable price and then we dump him as soon as we have the chance to fill a different position. Players certainly didn't like the way Pierce and Clark were treated; I think this would just be the next incident of that.

But what if, and I say what if they are only wanting to do a 1 for 1 swap. They desperately need a running back in the worst way and Betts proved he can be a 1000 yrd back this year with CP out, plus we already signed him to a extremely low contract for 5 yrs.. Vilma is only signed till the end of 08, so maybe there is something to this story of a 1 for 1 swap.

I'd still want a 2nd or 3rd round pick after all its the Jetts that want rid of vilma not us wanting rid of betts.

Say what? No way are you going to get another pick with this trade. It'd have to be a straight up 1 for 1 and we are very fortunate if this even happens.

THe jetts have two problems

1 They need a running back, someone that can carry the ball pretty well.

2 They have a growing locker room problem with Vilma

we are happy with betts, and can get buy with out Vilma.

The Jetts need to give us some incentive other then a one for one to give up betts. A draft pick would do that :P

THe jetts have two problems

1 They need a running back, someone that can carry the ball pretty well.

2 They have a growing locker room problem with Vilma

we are happy with betts, and can get buy with out Vilma.

The Jetts need to give us some incentive other then a one for one to give up betts. A draft pick would do that :P

With all due respect, Betts for the most part carried the rock pretty well this year and for this rumor to even be discussed on the board mentioned in this post, the Jets and not, Jetts are looking at his stats from this past season along with the contract he just signed.

Please show me with a link where Vilma has caused locker room problems. If you do, I give you my apologies.

If we all agree that Vilma would be a GREAT addition to our team and definitly make us much much better on defense,don't ya think maybe that there might be about 25 or so other teams looking for a way to trade for him.Straight up,what are you kidding me? Besides,isn't M.Turner the "hot" back up running back this year? No more Donnie Edwards means they need a MLB too,just to give an example.Oh yeah,boy have we got the Jets by the *****. be relistic would ya.Listen,I love Betts and don't wanna see him go anywhere,nor do I wanna loose more draft picks,but from what i gather from a lot of ya'll is we need to draft a D lineman and MLB like Willis,right.well if we trade Betts and our #6 for thier first and Vilma,we get our MLB who will be better then any rookie is gonna be this year and a shot at one of the D lineman(or ss/cb's).I say we do it,even if we have to trade a third or forth from next years draft.straight up for a back up running back,fandom rules!

Exactly. QB Byron LEFTWICH is from South East DC. He attended Howard D. (H.D.) Woodson Senior High School (on 55th & Eads Streets, NE) - where I think he QB'd several Interhigh & City Championship Teams. He then attended Marshall University, in West Virginia (He was WR Randy MOSS's QB). :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

I would not swap first rounders for Vilma.

Not when we could trade down and get more picks in this years draft.

He is not worth it

from pft.com

POSTED 9:09 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 10:21 a.m. EST, February 15, 2007

FLETCHER-BAKER TO BE IN DEMAND

In what's either a sign that the free-agent market will be lighter than usual in 2007 or that there's a sudden demand for thirtysomething linebackers who are a couple of inches shy of six feet, London Fletcher-Baker of the Bills is already on the shopping list for at least two teams.

On Wednesday, the Washington Post reported that the Redskins plan to make a play for both Fletcher-Baker and Bills teammate Nate Clements, a cornerback. We've also heard that the Lions intend to take a flyer on Fletcher-Baker in the early stages of free agency.

The winner in the process will be Fletcher-Baker. We don't want to knock the guy's abilities, and we're impressed that he has never missed a game in nine NFL seasons. But the apparent fact that two teams who are notorious for overpaying in the early days of the Super Bowl supermarket plan to make a run for him means that he'll likely end up with far more money in his pockets than he objectively would merit.

Statistically, Fletcher-Baker had one of the best years of his career in 2006, his fifth season with the Bills. He registered 104 tackles, 42 assists, two sacks, four interceptions, seven passes defensed, and a touchdown. He also spent four seasons with the Rams, and started all 16 regular season games as St. Louis made an improbable run to the NFL Championship.

Archived