Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Good call, SU. My guess is new UFC protein bars.

Hopefully Cyborg vs. Meisha Tate.

I like Tate too much to watch her get smashed by Cyborg. She's good and she's game but she's just not "next level" enough for Cyborg. 

I like Tate too much to watch her get smashed by Cyborg. She's good and she's game but she's just not "next level" enough for Cyborg.

Meisha has no hope for a title shot again, other than to catch Cyborg when she's brand new to 135. Say she gasses her and wins a decision, she'd be close to yet another title shot. Besides, throwing Cyborg at anyone else would most likely crush the hopes of that person ever getting a title shot after Cyborg highlight reels them. Unfortunately, Meisha is the gatekeeper now.

Anyway, I gotta say Bellator makes EliteXC look like Pride. Good to see Rampage get a KO. That King Mo **** is so staged it's funny. Was that Booker T getting in the face of Farooq?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

didn't realize the UFC had a card this morning, but this just happened:

http://cdn.fansided.com/gif/John_Hathaway_vs._Dong_Hyun_Kim_ktfo.gif

Stun Gun coming for that KO of the Year

Wait, this fight was supposed to be my plans for saturday night.

If it already happened, then what the **** am I gonna do now, tonite ??? :(

Damn, didn't know Hendricks vs. Lawler is next week! I will be hyperventilating for that one.

Pretty good card:

UFC 171

March 15th, 2014

American Airlines Center

Dallas, Texas

Johny Hendricks vs Robbie Lawler (Welterweight Championship)

Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley

Diego Sanchez vs. Miles Jury

Hector Lombard vs. Jake Shields

Ovince St. Preux vs. Nikita Krylov

Kevin Gastelum vs. Rick Story (prelim)

Lombard vs. Shields is such a weird matchup. The most violent WW vs. the most non-violent WW. Does Lombard send him to the moon or does Jake find ways to go in to stifle mode?

Lets wait and see how Cyborg does at 135lb without the juice.  No one really knows just how long she was on the juice during her "dominance"  Then we got the story from her camp about it was impossible for her to cut the weight, but now it is just fine to do so?

I wouldn't mind a Tate v. Cyborg fight, the problem though is if Tate pulled off the upset, that would almost HAVE TO line her up for a title shot which the UFC doesn't want to happen, at least not now.  Hell, has anyone heard from Tate lately?  After that 2nd loss to Rousey she sounded ready to retire.

I am really interested to see how someone technically sound does against Cyborg.  The most technically sound fighter she has fought is probably Marlos Counin(sp?)  but again, she was fighting at a bloated 145 because she needed a fight, and Cyborg was likely on the juice at the time.

Anyone else think it is wrong that UFC is putting a Gustafson fight exclusively on Fight Pass?  The dude is 1 fight removed from a title win....errr...close loss and should be featured to a bigger crowd.  Unless UFC is going to go the WWE network route and give a real incentive to get Fight Pass, I see this thing backfiring.

Edited by NoCalMike

Good points, but if Meisha pulled off the upset, I think she'd still need to beat a top 5 fighter to get Rousey again. If she beats Cyborg and McMann, for instance, I think everyone would be okay with it. Cyborg's level of hype come fight-time will be enormous, but she's still not a golden ticket for Meisha.

I just don't want her smashing an up and comer, which almost all the girls are right now. Hence why I think Meisha is, to be brutally honest, expendable.

I still think Cyborg fighting clean at 135 can cause serious destruction. She knows how to get her body in to strikes. She will still hit hard. She may not virtually murder people anymore, but I think vegan Cyborg will still knock girls out.

Yeah, and that Gus **** is so lame. Guess I'm missing the card tomorrow? Feels like FuelTV all over again. Great idea.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I haven't been impressed with Fight Pass enough to order it yet. I'm most intrigued by the Guillard/Johnson fight, the rest of that card is full of meh.

With so many cards, the standard of "UFC Caliber" has been watered down. Some of these guys on UFC cards should have been left in the regional circuits.

Gus is definitely getting the shaft in this one. Its almost a no win situation for him. I hope he handles business early and gets out with no injuries so we get that rematch sometime this year. Gus needs to be careful, Manuwa's last few opponents have had something happen to them that essentially forced them to retire mid-match.

I haven't been impressed with Fight Pass enough to order it yet. I'm most intrigued by the Guillard/Johnson fight, the rest of that card is full of meh.

With so many cards, the standard of "UFC Caliber" has been watered down. Some of these guys on UFC cards should have been left in the regional circuits.

Gus is definitely getting the shaft in this one. Its almost a no win situation for him. I hope he handles business early and gets out with no injuries so we get that rematch sometime this year. Gus needs to be careful, Manuwa's last few opponents have had something happen to them that essentially forced them to retire mid-match.

Yeah I feel like the quality of cards has diminished since they have them so frequently now. However, UFC 171 has a lot of potential. Agreed about the Guillard/Johnson fight, although I am pretty excited to see Gunnar Nelson make his return too. 

I might do the Fight Pass free trial then cancel it after the fights tonight, but I'm not ready to spend $10 a month on it to have it regularly just yet. 

It's supposed to also give you access to the UFC's fight library, with all of their fights, all of Pride, Strikeforce, WEC, etc. I'm skeptical about it, but like I mentioned earlier I may just do the free trial to see the Gus fight tonight then cancel it. 

Just flipping channels, & the fight pass only card is on TV here in Canada on Sportsnet360. Missed the first 2 Fights on the main card, watching Johnson Guillard now. I like surprises like this, really want to see Gus vs Jimi.

It's weird with a British ring announcer, play by play and Dan Hardy on colour. Not saying it's bad, just different, & unusual.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

Gus might have not liked the first punch from Jimi, took him down in the first & latest on him for most of the round. Then, during a scramble from getting up after that, Gus tried to take Jimi's back when they where both hunched over-Gus throws the long leg over, but Jimi caught it & threw the leg back. Dude has crazy strength though. Round 1 Gus.

Gus finished Jimi in the 2nd with a flurry after a few wicked shots from Jimi after a stop from an eye poke(Jimi's eye).

Gus outboxed Jones, but Jimi outboxed Gus for a minute, then got sloppy backing out & got caught with a knee, then uppercut sealed it. Think a counter right hook that caught Jimi as he was changing levels might have got him off his game & caused the sloppy retreat. He was never out, but he fell limp to the ground & ref had to stop it. Great win by Gus, but Jimi is a scary & dangerous man. Too big a step up in competition for Jimi, but he could be a force in LHW for years to come- I could see him beating a lot of top ranked LHW right now.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

Jimi is 35, he doesn't have long to make waves at LHW. Might be a little easier for him if he can cut to 185. Seems pretty stocky for 205 though, maybe he can't.

Didn't think he was that old, though they said 31 at the tale of the tape. Either way, he's a more skilled wrecking machine than Glover is what I'm saying. He relies on his striking, but he has more than 1 set up for his power shots. I could see him ruining title shot runs for a few guys with a quick KO.