Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Damn, can't wait for this Saturday's event.

This whole card is LOA-DED !

Fortunately for you guys, it's on American soil, so you won't have to worry about missing this thing, from the crazy time zones.

Who you got for Hendricks and Lawler ?

This is going to be a great card. I'm going back and forth but right now I'm leaning toward Hendricks. Also, Condit/Woodley should be fireworks and we all know that Diego Sanchez brings it every time. 

Speaking of Diego, I just rewatched his fight with Melendez and that 3rd round is seriously one of the greatest rounds I've ever seen in MMA. 

Grrr...I have a friend coming in town this weekend, and I am trying to figure out how I can watch it. I have been looking forward to this card for months. Either I "turn in early" and go home and watch it, or I steer him to a bar that will be showing it. Decisions, decisions.

Drag him out to see it somewhere! Every time this happens to me, I end up missing the PPV and it turns out to be some kind of epic card. 

I also just saw that Lombard/Shields is on this card. I really hope Lombard goes ballistic and makes Shields fight. I'm getting kind of tired of his boring performances. 

Johny Hendricks is my favorite fighter at the top of the game. Been rooting for him ever since he burned Smoke Break in 15 seconds. Lawler brings a war with him, but I think merely the threat of Johny's wrestling will have Lawler off balance and subseptible to the H-bomb.

On the flip side, we've seen Johny absorb some strikes before, but nothing like a flush shot from Lawler. The puncher's chance is strong in this one.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

and we all know that Diego Sanchez brings it every time. 

Speaking of Diego, I just rewatched his fight with Melendez and that 3rd round is seriously one of the greatest rounds I've ever seen in MMA. 

I also just saw that Lombard/Shields is on this card. I really hope Lombard goes ballistic and makes Shields fight. I'm getting kind of tired of his boring performances. 

It's too bad that Diego Sanchez and Jake Shields are a weight class apart. Or else they could pair those 2 together, and surely DIego would light a fire under Jake's butt.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Jake has been so underrated. He's a braniac on the ground. Diego would get stifled for the majority of the fight, IMO. In fact, I can imagine Shields beating anyone at WW now. What he does against a Judoka with ferocious power will tell me a lot. I think he can beat Lawler, Condit, Ellenberger, and he might be good enough to tire out Hendricks early on if he can work him on the ground. He's the dark horse.

Jake has been so underrated. He's a braniac on the ground. Diego would get stifled for the majority of the fight, IMO. In fact, I can imagine Shields beating anyone at WW now. What he does against a Judoka with ferocious power will tell me a lot. I think he can beat Lawler, Condit, Ellenberger, and he might be good enough to tire out Hendricks early on if he can work him on the ground. He's the dark horse.

Agree, shame actually they shafting Shields. He beats Woodley, yet he faces Maia, who is a terrible match up. Woodley fights #2 in Carlos Condit. Then, Shields beats Maia, and they feed him another nightmare match up in Lombard. Shields should be fighting Carlos, but Shields would win that fight, and the ufc is more about entertainment.

Btw does anyone feel Shields is weaker since he went full vegan?

I haven't been impressed with Jake Shields at all. His last two fights were questionable split decision wins (especially the Woodley win), the boring Ed Herman win was overturned, he was KO'd by Ellenberger, got beat up by GSP, nearly got finished by Dan Henderson etc. 

And every single fight is boring as ****. I think his last exciting fight was actually the Henderson fight. 

Damn I didn't even know about the Ellenberger fight. Gotta watch that. Shields is the new smoke break, but he has a knack for pulling off victories. It's a lot like Fitch, except he's a tad more dynamic on the ground. Just as boring though.

Edit: Just watched it. Ellenberger is a machine when he lets loose. Hendo couldn't even finish Shields when he had him totally rocked. This is a huge fight for him. Being a boring fighter gives you less room to **** up. Lombard can KO him in to obscurity here.

I haven't been impressed with Jake Shields at all. His last two fights were questionable split decision wins (especially the Woodley win), the boring Ed Herman win was overturned, he was KO'd by Ellenberger, got beat up by GSP, nearly got finished by Dan Henderson etc. 

And every single fight is boring as ****. I think his last exciting fight was actually the Henderson fight. 

I don't wanna make excuses, but his father passed away like a week before the Ellenberger fight. He wasn't there imo and I can't blame him for it. Ellenberger was/is a tough match up though, but so was Woodley. 

Damn I didn't even know about the Ellenberger fight. Gotta watch that. Shields is the new smoke break, but he has a knack for pulling off victories. It's a lot like Fitch, except he's a tad more dynamic on the ground. Just as boring though.

Edit: Just watched it. Ellenberger is a machine when he lets loose. Hendo couldn't even finish Shields when he had him totally rocked. This is a huge fight for him. Being a boring fighter gives you less room to **** up. Lombard can KO him in to obscurity here.

The thing with Shields is, he had a stretch from 2006-2009 where he finished 8 straight fights (including Robbie Lawler, Mike Pyle, and Paul Daley) but he hasn't been that guy in the UFC. Maybe it's him aging, maybe it's the level of competition, could be the thing with his father. I'm not sure. 

I don't wanna make excuses, but his father passed away like a week before the Ellenberger fight. He wasn't there imo and I can't blame him for it. Ellenberger was/is a tough match up though, but so was Woodley. 

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. I can't really hate on him for losing under those circumstances. 

The thing with Shields is, he had a stretch from 2006-2009 where he finished 8 straight fights (including Robbie Lawler, Mike Pyle, and Paul Daley) but he hasn't been that guy in the UFC. Maybe it's him aging, maybe it's the level of competition, could be the thing with his father.

He's facing more guys in the UFC that can hold their own in the grappling department. His only means of finishing is on the ground. Even most of his TKOs are probably from dominant position and an endless stream of annoying punches. Lawler and Daley are below average grapplers, Pyle back then was probably average at BJJ. The other 5 in that finishing streak were guys I've never heard of. Competition is way better.

Interesting to note: Lombard won't fight Lawler, they're training partners. Lombard says he'd be willing to move back to 185. Wants to fight Bisping. Damn Bisping, you always piss off the hardest hitters. I want Hector to stay at 170, he was in God Mode against Marquardt. Think he knocks Shields out.

I just re-watched the Gus vs Manuwa fight.

And Manuwa totally looked like he DID NOT want to be there.

Before the fight, during the fight, and in between the rounds, he just had this dazed, lethargic look on his face, like he didn't give a damn about the fight.

Almost like he was about to cry.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

He talked in the past about how big he gets in between fights. He's not the tallest WW in the world, he should be able to manage his weight better.

Seen it happen multiple times in boxing, but I only remember Lutter missing weight for a UFC title fight. If Lawler wins, he still gets the belt, if Hendricks wins, the title remains vacant. How they would proceed if Hendricks wins while missing weight would be interesting.

Daniel Strauss cut some of his dreads to make 145 for tonights Bellator card, maybe Hendricks should shave the beard. He should be able to pick up half a pound there easy.

Edited by StillUnknown

Has 2 hours to make weight & I'd imagine he'd take all the time he could. Weigh ins started at 5pm Dallas time, which would put Johnny up around 5:30pm so he will have til 7:30pm Dallas time to make weight.

I know why Hendricks is the favorite in this fight, but 3-1? I'll take Lawler and the +300 that comes with him.

EDIT: those times are Eastern time. So in about 40 minutes we'll know what his final weighing amount is. Since it is a title fight he has to be 170 or less.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

WHEW.

That woulda sucked.

Yeah, & I could see Johny getting cut after the fight even if he won had he not made weight.

Speaking of getting cut, if it weren't for the threat if WSOF or Bellator, I'd say Sheilds would be in danger of getting Fitch'd-or Smoke Break'd- if he didnt put on a great fight. Not many cuts lately in the UFC lately (besides Thiago) & I think the other 2's actions of late is one of the reasons why.