Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

That was a bad stoppage.  The round is in it's final seconds,  Faber is covering himself from taking damage, he has one arm hooked around Barao's leg,  Barao himself is throwing at maybe 40% of his punching power and all the shots but for maybe 1, are landing on Faber's arm.  He gives Herb Dean the thumb's up with his free hand, he isn't groggy or wobbly or limp at all.  

Maybe LIVE it looked more like devastating punches, but watching the replay it clearly seemed like a premature stoppage.

At this point Faber should probably either go for a big money super fight with Edgar or just retire.

The dilemma with that weight division is that there is Absentee-Cruz, Barao, Faber......and then everyone else.  The three of those guys routinely destroy their opponents.

Normally a fighter in Faber's stage of his career would be slid into the "gate keeper" role by now, but the problem is he is still too good (in some ways even better than before) for the UFC to throw up and comers that are still to green, at. He isn't yet over the hill enough to be a "hey I beat that legend from a decade ago" belt notching kind of opponent.

Edited by NoCalMike

I missed the card chasing fat bottom girls (they make the rockin' world go 'round). See that Dana crapped on Overeem for calling out Brock, also said his performance wasn't impressive.

See that you guys thought rd1 should have been a 10-8. Gotta see the fight, but I'm surprised it went to a decision. Overeem isn't finishing people...I think he's gone in the next couple years. He'll get knocked out again and Dana will unleash some vengence. I am still a Reem fan, love his technique, but I have a bad feeling about him.

Calling out Brock sounds like such a money hungry thing to say. JDS vs. Overeem. Think JDS knocks him out.

Reem did the right thing tonight after round one. He did the wrong thing in the 1st by not putting Frank on the cage and pummeling him but after that he stayed calm, took top and managed his time well. Like I said before, him getting a decision on Mir was a good thing.

Then he called out Brock Lesnar. Yeesh. Not Bigfoot or Travis Browne. Not even JDS. He called out Brock Lesnar. SMH. 

No chin. No heart. No chance.

Edited by Chachie

Machida vs. Mousasi is free on FS1 in two Saturdays (the 15th). Jacare vs. Carmont is co-main. Kinda seems like a couple quarterfinal fights. Winners could fight each other for a shot at Weidman/Belfort.

Rousey is fighting McMann on the 22nd, which is shorter than a 2 month break for Ronda. To me, this is the first real test of the gauntlet of new chicks coming up for Ronda. A short turn around, McMann's pedigree, she's gotta deal with some serious talent here. McMann didn't look too great in her last fight, but she comes off as the type that can step it up Alexander Gustaffson style. Hope she brings her A-game, think she can win.

Two other real good fights that night. Rashad Evans vs. Cardio Cormier, and Rory Mac vs. Demian Maia.

belcher_ronda_tat_zpse4a1b89a.png

• Like 1

Machida vs. Mousasi is free on FS1 in two Saturdays (the 15th). Jacare vs. Carmont is co-main. Kinda seems like a couple quarterfinal fights. Winners could fight each other for a shot at Weidman/Belfort.

I'm more excited for these fights than I was for anything on the last PPV card. I didn't like the Faber stoppage but I assumed he wouldn't beat Barao going into it, and Jose Aldo is the most boring champ in the UFC now IMO. 

I'm also pretty excited for the Rousey/McMann and Evans/Cormier fights. I really want to see how Cormier looks at 205. He could be an absolute monster in that division.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/7/5389282/ufc-thiago-silva-mugshot-charges-deadly-weapon-police-standoff

UFC fighter Thiago Silva is in custody after last night's standoff with police. He has been charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, resisting arrest without violence and two other charges.

NBC Miami explains the situation that began following Silva threatening people at Pablo Popovitch Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Center:

The armed suspect went to the school at 777 E. Oakland Park Blvd. and threatened the people there, but no one was injured, said the BSO, which was called about the situation at about 7:45 p.m.

The suspect then went to his home and locked himself inside it, according to the BSO.

The SWAT team responded to the scene, and authorities were trying to establish contact with the suspect, the BSO said.

BetterCallSaul.jpg

• Like 1

I read that the two other charges are felony attempted murder. I have a pretty good feeling the UFC is going to be looking from a replacement fro his fight on 3/15.

I wonder what happened, Thiago always seemed so mentally stable. :)

It seems a Mr. Pablo Popovitch might have been "involved" with Silva's wife.

Well...that did not take long. He gone.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/ufc-terminates-thiago-silvas-contract/

Not surprised at all, he has far bigger issues to worry about at the moment.

This could have ended up so much worse for all parties involved, glad they got to him before he did something he couldn't take back. I remember a few years ago when Edwin Valero was hotshot prospect in boxing. He had a history of domestic abuse, eventually killed his wife and hung himself in jail a few hours later.

Doesn't the UFC have the option to match? After that Sanchez fight, and all the patience he endured being stuck in Strikeforce the longest out of anybody, Gil deserves a break. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes, you can't cuss out your boss, but Gil has always come off as the level headed guy out of Cesar Gracie's. Jake Shields too, although he creeps me out a lot.

On another note, 185 Machida's been drinking that good pee. Dude is shredded. Huge step up for Gegard, who hasn't really ever had a top 5 opponent in his 30+ fights. His jab is money, but I think he whiffs a cross or something and Machida chin checks him.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

You're right Do Itch, Mousasi hasn't been wobbled. But Anderson Silva and Henderson got KOd for the first time last year. Hunt's been KOd, Nate and Nick Diaz have had tweety birds around their heads before. I'm kinda past that illusion of invulnerability at this point. He has met his match in Machida. Mousasi is kind of careless out there sometimes. He fights lazy often, and that's just a bad recipe against Machida. He HAS to fight better than he's been fighting, IMO.

Illir Latifi was punching him hard upside his head in Mousasi's last fight. Granted he only got about 4 in, I was impressed Gegard didn't show the slightest bit of discomfort for any of them. He definitely avoids getting hurt well.

Then again, before Shogun, Machida was thought of as incredibly elusive, and to have never been hurt.

When I see how lax Gegard is in the ring/octagon, I can imagine Machida finding that patented straight punch up the middle. He's an intense, sharp mind in there, while Gegard seems like he's thinking about where to eat in the morning.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Why would Gil be nervous about fighting the best?  He lost a split decision to Henderson, in a fight a lot of people felt he won. Henderson at the time was the champ and thought of as the best at 155, then he had a fantastic brawl with Diego Sanchez that he won.

This has nothing to do with being scared, it's likely Zuffa trying to hard-ball their fighters probably.

I'm real pumped for this fight tonight getting to see Mousasi finally face an elite opponent after the Gustafsson fight fell through. I think part of the reason he always looked so lackadaisical is because he never faced an opponent that truly tested him. I think him putting in the work to get down to the right weight class is evidence enough that he is now taking a more serious approach to fighting.

• Like 1

Why would Gil be nervous about fighting the best?  He lost a split decision to Henderson, in a fight a lot of people felt he won. Henderson at the time was the champ and thought of as the best at 155, then he had a fantastic brawl with Diego Sanchez that he won.

This has nothing to do with being scared, it's likely Zuffa trying to hard-ball their fighters probably.

Mike. You DID read the part where I said "has to has to HAS to be a bargaining chip," right?  :)

As for Mousassi, this will certainly be the moment where we find out if he's truly UFC-worthy or just another Strikeforce fighter who found out how much tougher the UFC is than Strikeforce. (See Alistair Overeem and to a lesser degree Nick Diaz.) 

Machida is not only dangerous but defensive. Shogun Rua had to take a chance and go full-on aggression to knock him out and I can't leave out Jon Jones, who is simply amazing and requires no explanation for beating the Dragon. I wonder if Mousassi can muster that kind of high-level deadliness, which is apparently what it takes. Rampage's victory over Machida was semi-controversial so I suppose Mousassi could eek out something like that if he lasts.

Having said all that, we very well could see a boring fight tonight because they are both so measured in their attack.