Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Just got back from watching the fight over at a friend's house. Somewhat surprised to see I was one of the few, both on ES and at my buddy's, rooting for Sonnen (although I understand the reasoning).

This was pretty much how I felt:

I thinking Silva but rooting Sonnen. I always enjoy a good WWE style talker, and frankly, unless my team is the dynasty, I generally pull for the underdog to dethrone any long reign, whatever the sport.

And even though I can't stand Tito, I'm not really sure what to think about Griffin's "interview". It was loud over there so I might've missed something. Was it purposely disrespectful? Or a well-intentioned gesture gone wrong?

Forrest was out of line, Tito deserved a moment and Griffin caused a huge scene. What a big baby, typical. Just do me a favor and leave the UFC Forrest.

The championship fight boiled down to one thing. Chael was forced to strike with Anderson after two failed takedowns in the second round. Once that happens, you're at his mercy. Moving along, it will be interesting to see how Chael explains himself after being so ridiculously arrogant.

http://i.minus.com/ibbBax1hrvUNn4.gif

This move ranks just behind David Gardener waving to the crowd with Aoki on his back in the all-time dummy moves.

Holy christ, crazy night, story for another time.

I watched that gif a lot and Chael made reference to the shot on the ground, insinuating he was hit in the head, because he was. Watch closely, it's, not a knee to the chest, or a missed knee to the head,......

IT WAS A THIGH STRIKE TO THE HEAD.

Go ahead, watch again, and let that sink in.

Greatest F****ing Fighter of all time, Anderson Silva.

Holy christ, crazy night, story for another time.

I watched that gif a lot and Chael made reference to the shot on the ground, insinuating he was hit in the head, because he was. Watch closely, it's, not a knee to the chest, or a missed knee to the head,......

IT WAS A THIGH STRIKE TO THE HEAD.

Go ahead, watch again, and let that sink in.

Greatest F****ing Fighter of all time, Anderson Silva.

I don't know. At the very end of the PPV, they showed a super slo-mo replay of the strike several times, and it was a legit knee to the chest. Maybe Sonnen got brushed with a thigh on the way in, but that shot was definitely intended to be a knee to the chest area.

My question is why was Lavigne reffing this fight? He wouldn't shut up the entire time Sonnen was working in Anderson's half guard. I mean, MMA was born from jiu jitsu, and nowadays it seems like that part of the game is being severely rushed by certain refs. Lavigne being one of them. Some refs are so sensitive to the crowd, that when they hear a few people booing, they loudly yell, "WORK!" Interpretation: "Please don't boo the fight I'm refereeing!"

Please put Rosenthal in every championship fight. Watch...friggin' Winslow will be zombie-reffing Faber vs. Barao.

The knee looked illegal when I was watching live, but now that I see the replay, Anderson falls in to Chael as he lands it - making the knee dive down at the end of the strike. The point of Anderson's knee hit's Chael's nerple. It's such a slick technique because 99% of the time you expect some punches to be coming, but a knee slips under and knocks the wind out of you. It was a lot like Rashad vs. Tito 2.

Anderson looks like he could certainly get to 20 wins in a row looking ahead. These days he's saying that he wants to fight for a long time, so what are matchups in the future? Bisping (TKO) Stann (TKO) Rashad (TKO) Lombard (yeah, TKO). I can even see him fighting Sonnen again, even though Chael needs 4 or 5 wins to even be considered. Well, maybe 3 if you're in the UFC marketing machine.

Anderson/Sonnen 3 @ UFC 200 baby. :puke:

I'd actually like to see Shogun introduce himself to treadmills and fight Anderson, but even so, at this point, you've got to assume Anderson wins that one easily. A couple years ago that was the #1 fight I wanted to see.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

My question is why was Lavigne reffing this fight? He wouldn't shut up the entire time Sonnen was working in Anderson's half guard. I mean, MMA was born from jiu jitsu, and nowadays it seems like that part of the game is being severely rushed by certain refs. Lavigne being one of them. Some refs are so sensitive to the crowd, that when they hear a few people booing, they loudly yell, "WORK!" Interpretation: "Please don't boo the fight I'm refereeing!"

Please put Rosenthal in every championship fight. Watch...friggin' Winslow will be zombie-reffing Faber vs. Barao.

Anderson did a much better job this time of avoiding shots on the ground. Instead of trying to scramble and get back to his feet, he basically locked Sonnen down, especially while in half-guard. Even when Sonnen got the mount, nothing significant ever landed on Silva. Seemed like he was playing more for the ref to stand up instead of searching for submissions and leaving himself open in the process.

Then he showed much better takedown D in the 2nd.

When Anderson's hands drop to his sides, that's yo ass.

Edited by StillUnknown

The knee looked illegal when I was watching live, but now that I see the replay, Anderson falls in to Chael as he lands it - making the knee dive down at the end of the strike. The point of Anderson's knee hit's Chael's nerple. It's such a slick technique because 99% of the time you expect some punches to be coming, but a knee slips under and knocks the wind out of you. It was a lot like Rashad vs. Tito 2.

Anderson looks like he could certainly get to 20 wins in a row looking ahead. These days he's saying that he wants to fight for a long time, so what are matchups in the future? Bisping (TKO) Stann (TKO) Rashad (TKO) Lombard (yeah, TKO). I can even see him fighting Sonnen again, even though Chael needs 4 or 5 wins to even be considered. Well, maybe 3 if you're in the UFC marketing machine.

Anderson/Sonnen 3 @ UFC 200 baby. :puke:

I'd actually like to see Shogun introduce himself to treadmills and fight Anderson, but even so, at this point, you've got to assume Anderson wins that one easily. A couple years ago that was the #1 fight I wanted to see.

The only person I think beats Anderson is a healthy GSP. I know alot of you wanna say he is to small its BS he is way stronger then Anderson or any of the other fighters anywhere near his weight class. GSP is a world class freak athlete in the gym that can put on weight without any issue. You have to be a explosive wrestler with great control to beat Anderson. GSP is a way better version then guys like Sonnen and Lutter who have mounted Anderson. GSP is much more explosive,stronger,technical with good G&P and submission defense.

Nobody is beating Anderson unless he is put on his back and held.

The only person I think beats Anderson is a healthy GSP. I know alot of you wanna say he is to small its BS he is way stronger then Anderson or any of the other fighters anywhere near his weight class. GSP is a world class freak athlete in the gym that can put on weight without any issue.

If that were the case, he would've done it already. Every time he's been asked about the fight, he beats around the bush. He and his manager said it would take a while to put on the weight, and he is not way stronger than Anderson or Sonnen for that matter.

The fight won't happen, GSP doesn't want it, can't say I blame him.

Father time will be the man who defeats Anderson. I suspect that if he keeps fighting, he'll probably lose via KO or TKO to somebody we don't expect. Similar to Roy Jones, Anderson's game is predicated on timing, there will come a time when Anderson's body doesn't react as fast as his mind wants him to, and he will suffer a defeat because of it.

Edited by StillUnknown

Forrest was out of line, Tito deserved a moment and Griffin caused a huge scene. What a big baby, typical. Just do me a favor and leave the UFC Forrest.

The championship fight boiled down to one thing. Chael was forced to strike with Anderson after two failed takedowns in the second round. Once that happens, you're at his mercy. Moving along, it will be interesting to see how Chael explains himself after being so ridiculously arrogant.

I'm really starting to hate Forrest Griffin. That was a d-bag move on his part. And that was just a stupid move by Chael. He's had success against Anderson standing in the past. I think his boxing is underrated because he always goes for the takedown. He would've been better off just standing and setting up his takedowns with his hands than throwing something low-percentage like a spinning backfist.

The only person I think beats Anderson is a healthy GSP. I know alot of you wanna say he is to small its BS he is way stronger then Anderson or any of the other fighters anywhere near his weight class. GSP is a world class freak athlete in the gym that can put on weight without any issue. You have to be a explosive wrestler with great control to beat Anderson. GSP is a way better version then guys like Sonnen and Lutter who have mounted Anderson. GSP is much more explosive,stronger,technical with good G&P and submission defense.

Nobody is beating Anderson unless he is put on his back and held.

I don't ever see that fight happening either. GSP isn't going to move to MW to fight Anderson for the same reason that Anderson isn't going to LHW to fight Jon Jones. It just doesn't make sense for the guy that's moving up.

If that were the case, he would've done it already. Every time he's been asked about the fight, he beats around the bush. He and his manager said it would take a while to put on the weight, and he is not way stronger than Anderson or Sonnen for that matter.

The fight won't happen, GSP doesn't want it, can't say I blame him.

Father time will be the man who defeats Anderson. I suspect that if he keeps fighting, he'll probably lose via KO or TKO to somebody we don't expect. Similar to Roy Jones, Anderson's game is predicated on timing, there will come a time when Anderson's body doesn't react as fast as his mind wants him to, and he will suffer a defeat because of it.

GSP is probably one of, if not the strongest in MMA. Listening to Rashad talk about GSP rag dolling everyone in there gym does'nt surprise me at all. I've spent the majority of my life in the gym guys like GSP are freaks. Have you seen the quads on him thats why his takedowns and base are so powerful. No chance Chael or Anderson are anywhere in the ballpark of the type of weight GSP moves. GSP is by far the most dominant wrestler in the UFC but he don't get the credit because he did'nt wrestle in college or the olympics.

GSP is probably one of, if not the strongest in MMA. Listening to Rashad talk about GSP rag dolling everyone in there gym does'nt surprise me at all. I've spent the majority of my life in the gym guys like GSP are freaks. Have you seen the quads on him thats why his takedowns and base are so powerful. No chance Chael or Anderson are anywhere in the ballpark of the type of weight GSP moves. GSP is by far the most dominant wrestler in the UFC but he don't get the credit because he did'nt wrestle in college or the olympics.

What do you mean he doesn't get credit? He's widely acknowledged as the best wrestler in MMA (a claim I agree with, although Cormier is coming for that title) despite the fact that he has almost no credentials.

Edited by StillUnknown

No love for Belcher getting a shot at Silva? IMO the only person who should get a shot before Belcher is Henderson and only because, well, it's Dan Henderson. The only loss Belcher has had in the last couple years was Okami and IMO that was a bull**** decision. Give the talent his shot!!!

As for the main event last night, what was up with Anderson holding onto the shorts? Everyone keeps talking about him stuffing the takedowns and having great defense, well yea, every time Chael tried to lift him Anderson was giving him a wedgie. How can the ref not see that? Only the best of the best should get title fights.

No love for Belcher getting a shot at Silva? IMO the only person who should get a shot before Belcher is Henderson and only because, well, it's Dan Henderson. The only loss Belcher has had in the last couple years was Okami and IMO that was a bull**** decision. Give the talent his shot!!!

Wow, I whiffed on that one. Here I was thinking I was a big Belcher fan :ols: Totally agree with you.

As for the main event last night, what was up with Anderson holding onto the shorts? Everyone keeps talking about him stuffing the takedowns and having great defense, well yea, every time Chael tried to lift him Anderson was giving him a wedgie. How can the ref not see that? Only the best of the best should get title fights.

I like the Belcher fight, I'd also like to see Hector Lombard fight Anderson if he beats Tim Boetsch. I know it would only be one win in the UFC, but he hasn't lost since 2006 outside of the UFC plus I like the style matchup.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Chael fight Palhares next.

There's an article over at the Underground asking whether Anderson fought a dirty fight last night:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/410754/Did-Anderson-Silva-fight-dirty-at-UFC-148/

---------- Post added July-8th-2012 at 08:32 PM ----------

BTW, I don't think he fought dirty but the shorts grab was pretty obvious

I was thinking Belcher vs. Bisping would be a great #1 contender's fight.

I'd pick Belcher to beat Bisping, and then lose to Anderson.