Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Maynard didn't deserve that win. Guida is a known quantity that other fighters have defeated. Plodding into the ring demanding that fighters slow down and brawl him is ridiculous. He should have learned by now to game plan. Champions combine ability with strategy even if the just bleed fans hate it. Winning is the priority, not style, for all of the longest lasting champions. Maynard should have been able to dominate Guida who is a gret gate keeper.

Guida is a fighter that has to be "solved" not just punched harder than he punches you. He's a useful obstacle tht usually keeps the idiots out.

Edited by Destino

Maynard didn't deserve that win. Guida is a known quantity that other fighters have defeated. Plodding into the ring demanding that fighters slow down and brawl him is ridiculous. He should have learned by now to game plan. Champions combine ability with strategy even if the just bleed fans hate it. Winning is the priority, not style, for all of the longest lasting champions. Maynard should have been ble to dominate him, but he's still a dumb fighter.

Found it kind of ironic when he complained of Guida's "gameplan" when its not that far off from the lay n pray that got Maynard to the top of the division.

What is with Maynard wanting Edgar again? That's over buddy, you lost. I'd like to see him fight Pettis or Cerrone.

The series is 1-1-1, the series is still undecided. I would rather see him fight somebody else, but the last 2 have been FOTY material so I won't complain if a 4th happens.

Edited by StillUnknown

What is with Maynard wanting Edgar again? That's over buddy, you lost. I'd like to see him fight Pettis or Cerrone.

I actually think that's still a fight I'd like to see but I absolutely understand that Edgar has earned the right to put Maynard in his rear view mirror for good.

Anytime the two fighters were in the same time zone, Maynard usually won the exchanges with the harder shots.

What else is there to say about this fight?

Jackson has "improved" another fighter it seems.

I have no problem with a 4th Edgar v. Maynard fight, but there should be some other fights before it happens, if Edgar gets the belt back that is.

Edited by NoCalMike

Not even close to accurate. Condit actually tried to hit his opponent, Guida pulled a Starnes.

The "greg jackson product" stuff has been debunked in a thousand different ways.

Well you can't argue jackson teaches guys to fight "smart" and that means if his guy is going up against a superior striker, the strategy is to engage & quickly get out, don't let the other guy score points, get your shots & make him miss by moving out of of the pocket. For some reason, clay decided to stop attacking in the later rounds, probably cause he was hurt, he was attacking air the last 3 rounds & the stats show it. The both landed around the same total shots, but guida threw a lot more late that missed

And some high profile Jackson fighters have been involved in some fights recently that have drawn criticism from fans for what is perceived to be "not fighting" or some would even go so far as to say "dancing" which definitely applies to guida based on comments here and elsewhere on the web. Justified or not, Jackson now has the stigma of training guys who don't put on entertaining all out brawl type of fights. I don't blame him for teaching a smart way to fight, it's his job, but this strange performance by clay is only going to make the people who don't like jackson only more reason to hate him, exhibit X in their case that Greg trains wussy fighters who would rather dance than fight.

And how the heck did they let guida get next to gray outside the cage right after the fight? That was just stupid, nothing happened but that sure didn't help in preventing something from happening.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

Well you can't argue jackson teaches guys to fight "smart" and that means if his guy is going up against a superior striker, the strategy is to engage & quickly get out, don't let the other guy score points, get your shots & make him miss by moving out of of the pocket. For some reason, clay decided to stop attacking in the later rounds, probably cause he was hurt, he was attacking air the last 3 rounds & the stats show it. The both landed around the same total shots, but guida threw a lot more late that missed

And some high profile Jackson fighters have been involved in some fights recently that have drawn criticism from fans for what is perceived to be "not fighting" or some would even go so far as to say "dancing" which definitely applies to guida based on comments here and elsewhere on the web. Justified or not, Jackson now has the stigma of training guys who don't put on entertaining all out brawl type of fights. I don't blame him for teaching a smart way to fight, it's his job, but this strange performance by clay is only going to make the people who don't like jackson only more reason to hate him, exhibit X in their case that Greg trains wussy fighters who would rather dance than fight.

And how the heck did they let guida get next to gray outside the cage right after the fight? That was just stupid, nothing happened but that sure didn't help in preventing something from happening.

The stigma only started because his 2 highest profile fighters at the time (GSP & Rashad) were considered boring fighters. If you look at his stable of fighters, they are the exception, not the rule. Hell he's had Leonard Garcia forever, that guy epitome of rock'em sock'em robots. He's had Cerrone forever, nobody will ever accuse him of being a boring fighter. He's molded Bones into the arguably the best fighter on the planet, he's not boring. Condit has been with him forever, 26 of his 28 victories have been finishes.

I realize it might be asking a lot, but I would hope MMA fans are smart enough to look beyond "what happened yesterday" when throwing out accusations.

I don't necessarily agree that Jackson fighters are boring but I was disappointed because Condit did try to out point Nick Diaz. He is suppose to be the natural born killer not the natural born point fighter. Its obvious the game plan by Jackson was to outpoint Nick Diaz and not try to finish him. That is why I am disappointed by Condit.

The stigma only started because his 2 highest profile fighters at the time (GSP & Rashad) were considered boring fighters. If you look at his stable of fighters, they are the exception, not the rule. Hell he's had Leonard Garcia forever, that guy epitome of rock'em sock'em robots. He's had Cerrone forever, nobody will ever accuse him of being a boring fighter. He's molded Bones into the arguably the best fighter on the planet, he's not boring. Condit has been with him forever, 26 of his 28 victories have been finishes.

I realize it might be asking a lot, but I would hope MMA fans are smart enough to look beyond "what happened yesterday" when throwing out accusations.

Yeah it would be nice, but it is what it is. Like I said he has the stigma, justified or not. not that I fully agree with it, but I do think he gets his guys to play it too safe against superior strikers which is frustrating to watch if your a casual fan. The only people who appreciate the strategy Jackson guys employ in some fights are people who train in some form of MMA & who can respect the techniques, Jackson's other fighters& trainers and the family of the fighter because he avoids taking big damage. It's a smart way to fight, but the finer points are lost on the all but experienced fan base, which is the majority. If you ain't knocking someone out or trying for a submission you are not fighting in the eyes of most UFC fans.

Edited by artmonkforHOF
Clarify UFC fans

I don't know, I've always enjoyed watching Guida, especially when he dismantled Anthony Pettis, and I loved his war with Diego Sanchez. Now I'll admit, I almost forgot about the fight last night and tuned in partway through the 4th round, so I missed the beginning. I'm assuming Guida engaged more early on? Still and all, that kick he landed to Maynard's face in the 5th was beautiful, respect to Maynard for taking it.

I don't think what Guida did was that much different than what Condit did, Condit just landed more strikes. Condit straight up ran away from Nick Diaz a few times in that fight. That being said, I do think it's somewhat of a myth that Greg Jackson fighters embrace that style, however, Jackson is in the business to win and if point fighting in the cage will win a fight, he will have his guys do it. I don't think it's good for the sport but guys need to figure out how to overcome that kind of gameplan.

The undercard for 147 had the better fights. I saw the replay today of the main card, besides a predictable GnP finish by werdum on russow and a great middle 2 rounds (2&3) from rich & silva, the main card kinda sucked. Wandy almost finished rich late in the 2nd who got saved by the bell, & rich said after the fight he doesn't remember the punch tha dropped him in the 2nd or the beating he took that followed. He said he remembers the corner saying this is the 5th round coming up & he was relieved it was only 5 more minutes of fighting. Both TUF fights looked like they might go to sudden death, but both winners got unanimous decisions somehow, one fighter winning all 3 rounds on 2 scorecards which seemed odd.

Now the hype train for Silva Sonnen 2 gets kicked into high gear, can't wait for that fight, only 2 weeks away! I'm not religious at all, but I pray for Silva to stay healthy and Sonnen to piss clean, those are the only 2 things I see that can stop this fight from happening now. Chael won't be able to piss clean, but hopefully he has learned how to cycle his TRT properly and doesnt have a pree fight test come back above 4:1. After the fight I fully expect him to have an insane ratio, like 15:1 like he had last time. Good rule of thumb, every 2 pimples you see on his back = 1 point higher Testosterone ratio ( e.g. 22 pimples = 11:1 ratio). I doubt Dirty Uncle Chael will have 8 or less pimples.

Good rule of thumb, every 2 pimples you see on his back = 1 point higher Testosterone ratio ( e.g. 22 pimples = 11:1 ratio). I doubt Dirty Uncle Chael will have 8 or less pimples.

:rotflmao: What the ****?!? That's absolutely disgusting man! 22 pimples!? That's Todd Duffee territory you're entering.

I too expect Chael to come back with an insane ratio. I tell ya what though, I'm already getting nervous for this fight. I want Chael to win, because I think there needs to be a shakeup in MMA. The titles across the board are stagnant for the most part. JDS is dominant, Jon isn't losing any time soon, Anderson has been champ forever, GSP has been champ forever and is missing, Ben is new but yet another rematch at LW, Jose has his div on lockdown, so does Cruz and he's injured, and there's not a Flyweight champ yet.

Most important is that there doesn't seem to be a rivalry at the top right now. Chael and Anderson is a legit rivalry, but that could die on July 7th if Anderson wins again. If Chael wins, now we're talkin.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

So apparently Angry Anderson showed up for the 148 conference call:

Mike Chiappetta MMA

‏@MikeChiappetta

Anderson Silva on Chael: "When the time comes and the time is right, I’m going to break his face and every one of the teeth in his mouth."

Mike Chiappetta MMA

‏@MikeChiappetta

Anderson: "I'm going to beat his ass out of the UFC. He’s never going to fight again when I’m done with him."

Mike Chiappetta MMA

‏@MikeChiappetta

Anderson: "He’s not going to be able to walk out of the octagon by hismelf. I guarantee that." ‪#UFC‬

Mike Chiappetta MMA

‏@MikeChiappetta

Anderson: "I’m going to beat him maybe the way his parents should have beaten him to teach him some manners." ‪#UFC‬

Mike Chiappetta MMA

‏@MikeChiappetta

Anderson: "The only difference (between the last fight and the rematch) is this time he’ll have to see a plastic surgeon after a fight."

Edited by StillUnknown

I'd love to see Cheal Sonnen catch the same beating GSP put on BJ Penn. Just hold him down and pound on his face forcing his corner to throw in the towel. Penn fans and GSP haters can pretend that kind of fighting down no damage but something tells me getting punched in the face for 20 minutes while laying there helpless would suck a whole lot more than simply being KO'd quickly.

That however is not the Spider style. If he's learned some take down defense and is nearly as motivated as he seems to me then I'd think this fight ends in a first round KO. Dragging Silva to the ground is the only chance Sonnen has to stay away in this fight and having already done that I have to think that Silva will not be as easy to take down in the rematch.

Edited by Destino