Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Hope Tito wins this weekend. Nothing against Forrest, but he's probably the best example of a fighter who went from super popular to irrelevant in the span of a few minutes. After the Silva fight, even though Anderson was at his peak, Forrest was done. Just too many times that man got his head bounced off the mat repeatedly to take him as a serious contender anymore.

Forrest beating Tito does nothing but stick Forrest in a main event, which, on my end, isn't affordable. The guy has an obsolete approach that is pretty much hard to take seriously at this point. Nothing against his heart, he's a warrior and a UFC legend for sure. Perhaps not in the sense of dominance, but he inspired thousands to watch the sport. He was even a jolt for me to become more of an MMA fan. The UFC got cool at that point, and I was elated to tell anybody who was interested about the history of MMA.

Not only was he the first TUF champ, he got the damn belt which, however great the timing was - is still incredibly impressive. Forrest is the man, just don't think he's got much more than novelty fights in the future.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Hope Tito wins this weekend. Nothing against Forrest, but he's probably the best example of a fighter who went from super popular to irrelevant in the span of a few minutes. After the Silva fight, even though Anderson was at his peak, Forrest was done. Just too many times that man got his head bounced off the mat repeatedly to take him as a serious contender anymore.

Forrest beating Tito does nothing but stick Forrest in a main event, which, on my end, isn't affordable. The guy has an obsolete approach that is pretty much hard to take seriously at this point. Nothing against his heart, he's a warrior and a UFC legend for sure. Perhaps not in the sense of dominance, but he inspired thousands to watch the sport. He was even a jolt for me to become more of an MMA fan. The UFC got cool at that point, and I was elated to tell anybody who was interested about the history of MMA.

Not only was he the first TUF champ, he got the damn belt which, however great the timing was - is still incredibly impressive. Forrest is the man, just don't think he's got much more than novelty fights in the future.

I'll be pulling for Tito too, would much rather see him go out with a nice finish over Forrest than to see Forrest win a fight.

I hope Forrest knocks Tito's teeth down his throat. Forrest is awesome and Tito is a tool. Pretty simple decision.

Forrest hasn't been awesome since 2008ish (pre Anderson Silva tooling him in front of the world).

---------- Post added July-6th-2012 at 11:04 AM ----------

Forrest hasn't been awesome since 2008ish (pre Anderson Silva tooling him in front of the world).

In the octagon, sure. I still like the dude. He's one of the good guys. Funny and humble. I don't see him ever getting another tittle shot, but I do think he has some interesting fights in him. And don't worry about a win against Tito meaning main event status. That is far from the truth. Maybe on an FX card.

Pros Pick: Silva vs. Sonnen 2

Daniel Cormier: I’ll pick Chael. He can almost incorporate the same game plan. In two years, Anderson shouldn’t be able to have developed his wrestling enough to prevent Chael from taking him down, so I’m picking Chael to win by decision.

Ian McCall: I can see Chael coming with the same thing, and I see Anderson adapting. That’s not to say that Chael can’t beat him; he’s probably one of the only people who can. It’s a tough one to call because you can never count Chael out, but I just don’t see Chael doing anything different.

Jamie Varner: I like Chael in this one. He’s such a dynamic wrestler and he did a really good job last time around, and I think his submission defense will be a little bit better next time around.

Rick Hawn: I’m going to have to go with Anderson again in this one. I think he’s too well-rounded and he’s going to be better than he was [in their] last fight.

Roy Nelson: It’s the same as last time: Chael all the way, as long as he learned how to defend a triangle or an armbar.

more at link:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Pros-Pick-Silva-vs-Sonnen-2-43893

Pros Picking Sonnen: 13

Pros Picking Silva: 8

No Pick: 2

I'm going to the beach. No way Chael even gets a sniff of the later rounds in this one. Silva will destroy him. I don't even know why all these pros are picking Sonnen. The Spider is getting a 2nd shot at someone? Pfffft. Easy pick.

The winner of Ortiz-Griffin will have beaten either Tito Ortiz or Forrest Griffin. Big freaking deal. :)

Watching that UFC Countdown thing. Jeez Chael is throwing out all kinds of disrespect. Not just to AS, but to the actual country of Brazil. Making fun of the women and children. Talked about how all the women want him. And talked about how when he was a kid he'd talk about new advances in technology/current events going on in America. And compared that to Brazilian children playing in mud.

Forget "dem fightin words", those are "dem assassination attempt words". :ols:

Wonder if he'd be saying that if the fight was in Brazil. I don't think he'd make it to the octagon if he did.

That shoulder bump probably sold a ton more ppv's, SU maybe Silva is angry BECAUSE Sonnen is in his head haha. Regardless, I'm really excited for the fight.

To me this fight is pure MMA, as in the things Shael does well Silva does not do well, and the many many things Silva excels at Sonnen cannot touch. Sonnen is a really strong GnP artist who uses his striking to set up his wrestling, while Silva is one of the most complete fighters in the world who uses his sniper striking to gauge his opponents and then adapts his style to take advantage of his opponents' weaknesses. Also, we know exactly what both fighters are going to do (unless Silva surprises us and goes for takedowns or Sonnen surprises us and does not go for takedowns relying more on his standup game).

Neither fighter has been TKO'ed or knocked out, but we all know Shael sucks with his submission defense, and Silva will hopefully come out with some different and unique tactics to counter Sonnen's takedown attempts. I'm excited to see what Silva busts out of his arsenal.

I'm still undecided. It's so easy to pick Anderson, until I remember the entirety of the last fight. Chael may have fought a great fight, but that wrestling is always going to be incredibly difficult to fend off. If he doesn't get Vitor'd, I can see him hitting cruise control again.

However, considering Chael's history, it's probably easiest to see a Silva submission.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I hope silva beats Sonnen badly enough that the fight is seen as a major let down and White has to explain why this cheating, lying, convicted criminal keeps being handed 2nd chances. The longer he remains in the sport the more credibility he takes from it.

I'm still undecided. It's so easy to pick Anderson, until I remember the entirety of the last fight. Chael may have fought a great fight, but that wrestling is always going to be incredibly difficult to fend off. If he doesn't get Vitor'd, I can see him hitting cruise control again.

However, considering Chael's history, it's probably easiest to see a Silva submission.

I'm torn. In the last fight not only did Chael dominate with takedowns but he won the exchanges on the feet as well. His striking was very good in that fight even stumbled Anderson at one point.

I think being pissed off is good and bad for Anderson. He won't sit back and be patient he is going for the killshot early and often but that aggressivness can get him put on his back. I can see this fight going either way.

My prediction Chael wins the belt

I hope silva beats Sonnen badly enough that the fight is seen as a major let down and White has to explain why this cheating, lying, convicted criminal keeps being handed 2nd chances. The longer he remains in the sport the more credibility he takes from it.

I'm in this camp as well.

I just hope this fight lives up to the hype no matter who wins. The last fight set the bar about as high as it can be set.

On another note, there are four guys fighting on this card that Anderson has beaten during his run: Chael, Forrest Griffin, Demian Maia and Patrick Cote. I'm actually excited to see Maia make his 170 debut. Apparently, he's been going back to his BJJ training pretty hardcore which is what fans want to see. No one wants to see him show off his mediocre striking.