Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Sonnen is an American Gangster? The guy took testosterone and had to pay off buyers illegally just to sell houses during the real estate boom. That's gangster? No. He immigrant comments are just plain strange but it's funny that he says "as they're taking your dollar and your mastercard" clearly not realizing both would be easily used in Brazil as well as in the US. While he's at it he should probably remember that he trains Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with Cesar Gracie.

This guy has a history of cheating and getting caught. That's sad. The fact that he's talking trash with a 3-2 record in his latest stint with the UFC is even worse. His next fight should be against Thiago Silva. He likes Brazilians and they can talk about which one of them is a bigger cheater.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/6/2263228/ufc-chael-sonnen-vs-brian-stann-planned-for-ufc-136

That was quick. Earlier today an MMA Junkie report nixed the rumored fight between Chael Sonnen and Lyoto Machida. Now, Heavy.com reports that Sonnen will instead fight Brian Stann. The details:

A middleweight bout between Chael Sonnen and Brian Stann has been agreed to for UFC 136 in October.

HeavyMMA confirmed the news with sources close to the bout on Wednesday afternoon.

The bout is slated to be the co-main event of the pay per view in Houston. The event will take place at the Toyota Center.

Stann was last seen blasting Jorge Santiago on Memorial Day weekend. The win put him at 3-0 in the UFC's middleweight division. Phil Davis forced him to drop in weight following a unanimous decision loss at UFC 109.

There's no word whether Sonnen will adopt Sgt. Slaughter's turncoat gimmick from Wrestlemania VII.

UFC 136 is expected to take place October 8 and feature a featherweight title main event between Jose Aldo and Kenny Florian.

and

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/6/2263388/ufc-paul-taylor-out-charles-oliveira-in-donald-cerrone-ufc-on

Things change fast in the MMA world. Yesterday, Charles Oliveira was talking about a matchup with Joe Lauzon at UFC 138. Today, he stepped in as a late replacement for Paul Taylor to take on Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone at UFC on Versus 5 on August 14th in Milwaukee, WI.

Dizamn..not sure who to pick yet in Stann/Sonnen. Last time Stann fought a good wrestler he lost to Phil Davis. And I'm disappointed that we won't see Oliveria/Lauzon but Cerrone is a good fight as well, that's a tough one to call. I think Cerrone is the better striker but he prefers to win by sub which he won't do against Oliveira.

Dizamn..not sure who to pick yet in Stann/Sonnen. Last time Stann fought a good wrestler he lost to Phil Davis. And I'm disappointed that we won't see Oliveria/Lauzon but Cerrone is a good fight as well, that's a tough one to call. I think Cerrone is the better striker but he prefers to win by sub which he won't do against Oliveira.

picking a winner in the Sonnen Stann fight depends on if Chael will show up with a test that says he's 9 parts testicle/1 part human. If Chael is clean, loss by triangle (seriously, what else would it be?), but I would really like to see Stann punch a few holes in his face. Anyone else get the feeling Dana is trying to set up Stann v Anderson for the belt July 4 weekend 2012? If Stann wins this and his next fight I could see it happening.

I don't care who Oliveria fights as long as they show it on TV.

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-sports/chael-sonnen-backstage/1041225706001

The video from the Sonnen/Helwani interview, it's 20 min long, pretty funny seeing him say all those things, he's a character. He says a LOT of stuff about Brazilian fighters...

Also Japan haha

I'm sorry, but that story about the Nog brothers and the bus still has me ROFL.

I'm sorry, but that story about the Nog brothers and the bus still has me ROFL.

:ols::ols::ols:

Holy **** that was hilarious

---------- Post added July-8th-2011 at 12:32 AM ----------

Even Helwani chuckled at that

Edited by #98QBKiller

Cyborg finally signed a new Strikeforce deal...there were rumors of here leaving MMA for big money in the WWE...glad she stayed for the sake of women's MMA

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/761328-breaking-news-strikeforce-inks-champion-cristiane-cyborg-santos-to-a-new-deal

Breaking News: Strikeforce Inks Champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos to a New Deal

The top pound-for-pound female fighter in MMA is here to stay.

After a prolonged standoff, Strikeforce and women's middleweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos have finally come to a contract agreement.

Master Rudimar Fedrigo, Santos' manager, confirmed to Full Contact Fighter that Santos had renewed her contract with the promotion.

There wasn't many details surrounding the deal, but Fedrigo said that he was "very happy" that Santos would be continuing her Strikeforce journey.

Over the past few weeks, the negotiations to renew the champ's contract seemed to be dead in the water. Reports began emerging that Santos had decided to part ways with Strikeforce and join the world of professional wrestling in the WWE.

It's been over a year since Santos last fought. Since dominating Gina Carano for the middleweight title, Santos has soared to the top of the female ranks.

Can Strikeforce finally find this Brazilian destroyer the consistent competition she craves?

Stay tuned to Bleacher Report for more details on this developing story.

The video from the Sonnen/Helwani interview, it's 20 min long, pretty funny seeing him say all those things, he's a character. He says a LOT of stuff about Brazilian fighters...

Also Japan haha

What I got from that interview.....Chael Sonnen :

"A disqualification against Silva is STILL a WIN"

and

"Come on, Silva putting me in a choke hold is NOT a WIN !!"

Sonnen, who is 4-4 in the UFC since 2005, talking about other (better) fighters strikes me as pretty lame. Writing off his loss to Silva with a bad gay joke is even worse. Has he ever even finished a fight in the UFC or WEC?

Sonnen, who is 4-4 in the UFC since 2005, talking about other (better) fighters strikes me as pretty lame. Writing off his loss to Silva with a bad gay joke is even worse. Has he ever even finished a fight in the UFC or WEC?

Nope

in his 2nd fight against Filho in the WEC, Fihlo was literally seeing ghosts in the cage and yet Chael still couldn't finish him

Also Japan haha

Wow Chael is on in full force and he doesn't even have a license to fight in California, so he takes a fight in the one state that ignores suspenisons from other states, Texas.

I watched Silva Sonnen again last night and it was impressive to see what Anderson did from his back. He cut Chael open a few times and gave up a lot to protect his bad rib. Chael finally starts hitting Andy in that bad rib side with about 2:20 left in the 5th, and Anderson counters with a hard right that gets Chaels attention. Anderson then fakes the right one time, Chael stops everything to cover up, Andy fakes with the right again, Chael covers and Andy slips on the Triangle. Truely amazing, I have never seen a guy protect himself from a puch as much as Chael tried to while on top in another mans guard, nobody is suppose to be able to cause any damage with a puch like that but Anderson found a way to make it work.

What was funny was watching the number of pimples on Chaels back increase as the fight goes on, but I should cut the guy some slack, he needs TRT to live.:rolleyes:

Okay my week just got off to a good start. Thx, 98. :)

:D

The Jimi Hendrix shoop with Tito by the guitar on fire and Rashad playing bass, had me laughing like crazy last night.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6753321

Just pulled this from ESPN, this is the fastest spinning backfist I've ever seen. WOW!

Wow that was an amazing spinning backfist....I also saw this KO on Sherdog yesterday..not sure who these two guys are though:

f372864d.gif

Since the start of 2011, California has experimented with a half-point scoring system on its amateur shows, both to get feedback from its judges, and also to compile statistics. At the end of the year, when the stats are done, the findings will be presented to people like Marc Ratner, the vice-president for regulatory affairs at the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and the Association of Boxing Commissioners, to see if the system has more merit than the one in place.

“I like what they are doing,” said Ratner. “Right now the best thing to do is use the system for a year, compile the statistics and see what we can learn.”

Instead of always writing 10-9 on a scorecard unless there is a completely dominant round with a near finish, you have more options. A 10-9.5 is for a close round, like rounds one and three in Siver vs. Wiman, and rounds one and two in Jackson vs. Machida – both fights in which the person who ended up losing in the current system would most likely have won with the new system.

A 10-9 would be the score for a round that is competitive, but, you have no doubt who won. That is still the score that comes up most of the time with the new system. A 10-8.5 would be for a round where one fighter dominated, but didn’t do enough for a 10-8, notably round two in Wiman vs. Siver, and round three in Machida vs. Jackson.

A 10-8 would be similar to how it is currently used, and you’d even have a 10-7.5 for something more dominant than a normal 10-8 round, but for whatever reason, the fight isn’t stopped.

The new system also includes a fourth judge whose lone job is to award points based on criteria. If the three judges come out to a draw, which has happened six times so far this year, a winner is determined based on a points system.

The point system was put together by a panel that included well-known referees and judges “Big” John McCarthy, Herb Dean and Nelson “Doc” Hamilton, as well as Steele and George Dodd, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission.

The system is four points for a knockdown, two for damaging strikes, one for a takedown, one for a sweep, two for grappling into a dominant position (back, mount or side control), and four for a near submission.

“We’re not married to this system,” said Steele. “We’re working on getting it as good as we can, and it’s getting close.”

So far this year, 155 amateur fights in California have gone to a decision under these new rules. Of those, six, or 4 percent, had different winners based on half-point judging than they would have based on the current system. But there were 17 instances where one judge out of the three had a different winner based on half-points that he would have based on the current system.

“The only ones that are changing are the ones that are very close and the judge has a finer gradient to implement points,” said Steele.

“That’s going to occur in a very low percentage,” noted McCarthy. “Maybe in the end, the half-point system will make a difference in 5 percent of the fights, but that’s 5 percent where the fighters are getting the right outcome instead of the wrong outcome.”

McCarthy noted he’d have given the UFC 132 bout to Wiman based on the half-point system, but also noted he had it 29-28 for Wiman with 10-point must, so in his case, it would not have changed the result on his scorecard had he been judging the fight.

He said the big fear going into the year is the new system would result in more draws, which is why the fourth tie-breaker judge was put in place. Thus far with the half-point system, the number of fights that ended in a draw before going to the tie breaker was 3.8 percent. With the tie-breaker criteria, while a draw is still a possibility if the fighters end up even on points, that would virtually never happen in practice. So far in 2011, 2.4 percent of UFC fights have ended up as draws.

“One thing we feared was more draws, but that hasn’t happened,” said McCarthy. “What we learned about the table [tie-breaker] judge is he’s giving points for things happening in the fight. You could take the table judges scores and look at the official judges scoring of the fight and it’s a very good way for the athletic commission to critique judges. If you have a fighter who scored 12-3 in one round and a judge who gave the round to the fighter with three, he’s obviously missing something.”

“One thing we really like is at the end of the night, when we have the fourth judges’ points and then look over the scorecards, it’s very clear what happened during the fight,” said Steele. “You can tell if it’s a close round, a dominant round, it paints a better picture. Ten-point must is black and white. Half-points give you color. I think from a fan perspective and a regulators’ perspective, the half-point system gives you more validation. It gives you a better perspective of the bout. I think at the end of the day, the fighters deserve to have points awarded based on their merit. We’re really focused on trying to help the sport evolve from a grassroots level.”

“I’ve talked to a lot of judges and they like it, and the one I’ve spoken to the most is my son, and he loves the half-point system,” said McCarthy. “At times, you can give a close round where a guy didn’t get taken advantage of, a 10-9.5, or with Wiman’s second round against Siver, a 10-8.5 – he does so much damage but he didn’t completely dominate the entire round. He likes the ability to do that.”

“I haven’t encountered any criticism from my colleagues,” said Bill Douglas, another California judge, who favors the system for MMA, but not boxing or kickboxing, because most MMA fights are only three rounds. “The reaction has been very consistent. It’s either, ‘I’m good with this but if we have to go back, I’m also OK with it,’ or a number of officials are completely for it, but there’s been no negativity so far.”

Steele considers this year part of a learning process, and wants a full year of statistics to learn advantages and disadvantages. Athletic commissions are usually interested in keeping the status quo. He feels if there is going to be a change, it will be spearheaded by the UFC itself.

“I think it comes down to the UFC,” said Steele. “They have the most valuable MMA sports property in the world. The second they think that the judging is starting to negatively affect their product, and if they believe the scoring system is part of the negative affect on their product, we’ll see changes. For any athletic commission, being graced with the UFC coming to their state is the best thing for the athletic commission, for a city, or a town and for a local economy. If they really think it’s damaging their product, we’ll see changes.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AqPblUJCtECp_R_o0eh77QU9Eo14?slug=dm-meltzer_mma_judges_scoring_071111