Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Rampage Jackson: I guarantee Jon Jones won't fight me like a man, Team Greg Jackson is ruining MMA

Whoever said this feud wouldn't have the same heat as a feud involving Rashad Evans?

Number one division contender Quinton Jackson and Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones were in Denver yesterday (July 19), trading barbs at a press conference promoting their upcoming fight at UFC 135 on Sept. 24, 2011.

First they argued over who would have the most excuses come fight night. Then they had a contentious staredown, as is the norm with any face-off involving "Bones."

But it didn't stop there.

They both appeared on a local radio program, the Mike and Scott Show, and continued exchanging verbal shots. That is, until "Rampage" broke out the big guns, going after not only Jones and whether or not he would fight him "like a man," but also out-and-out telling him his team, led by Greg Jackson, has ruined Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre and is killing MMA altogether:

"I guarantee you Jon Jones don't fight me like a man. Just like his boy, his old teammate Rashad. He come from a team, the (Greg) Jackson team is the most boring team out there right now. I have to say that right now. Jackson, man, y'all are some boring fighters, dog. Y'all ruining MMA for me, straight up. All these gameplans and all this stuff. GSP was the man before he started training over there with Jackson. I still like GSP but I wish he would go and do his own thing cause GSP is one of the best fighters out there, straight up. And y'all ruining MMA."

There's more after the link. He's pretty crazy calling out Greg Jackson, but he seems like he's having fun, hopefully he comes out as prepared as Jon Jones will be and backs up all this talk.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/21/2287913/ufc-dominick-cruz-vs-demitrious-johnson-title-ufc-on-versus-6#comments

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz now has an opponent for his next title defense. The UFC could have gone with a third fight between Cruz and Urijah Faber, or given Brian Bowles a chance to regain his title. Instead, they decided to match those two up at UFC 139, and Demetrious Johnson will get his shot at the title on October 1st at UFC on Versus 6. UFC.com has it:

Following his exciting five round win over Urijah Faber in July that allowed him to avenge the only loss of his pro career, UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz will jump right back into the fire on Saturday, October 1st, as he defends his crown against number one contender Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. The bout, the first championship fight aired on free cable television since the UFC 75 match between Rampage Jackson and Dan Henderson in 2007, will be televised on Versus.

Johnson earned his title shot with four straight wins in the WEC and UFC, the last being a unanimous decision win over former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres. Johnson fractured his leg in the fight, but still pulled off the victory. He will now face Cruz, who will be looking to successfully make the second defense of his UFC title (he also defended twice in the WEC) and continue his winning streak, which currently sits at nine. A title fight on free TV? Good deal.

I may have to make plans to be back in DC for this card

England gets Leben vs. Munoz

DC gets a title shot between 2 dudes who are constant motion :ols:

good looking out Dana & Joe Silva

Edited by StillUnknown

Wow I'm glad we're getting a card at the Verizon Center but how did Mighty Mouse get a title shot over Bowles and Faber after essentially losing to Torres and getting a gift decision?

I agree, but it won't matter much. Bowles is scheduled to fight Faber with the winner of that getting a title shot

4 days and counting until

The top four fights on this card should be amazing:

Fedor / Hendo

Marloes Coenen / Miesha Tate (for Women's 135lb Championship)

Robbie Lawler / Tim Kennedy

Paul Daley / Tyron Woodley

I can't wait for Hendo/Fedor. Unfortunately, I will be at a birthday party Saturday night so I will have to cut off communication with the rest of the world until I can watch it late Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Even though I'm a huge Fedor fan, I will be rooting for Hendo since he's my favorite fighter. I just love that "whatever" attitude he has. Put a guy in front of him and he'll try to knock his block through the cage. Speaking of which, I can't help but be a little worried that one of these guys might suffer their first actual knockout from strikes. That would be a little bittersweet for me personally. That said, next to the weight difference, the glaring mismatch here is Fedor's submission offense against Hendo's submission defense. Could play it safe and call Fedor by submission, but I get a feeling this one quite possibly could go 15 minutes. These are two of the grittiest fighters ever, easily. Still will probably pick Fedor no matter which way he does it.

If he loses, what the hell is next? From GOAT to Dream? God damn. I love Hendo, but man if he wins Fedor is definitely done in my opinion.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I'll be pulling for Fedor but I really don't know who to pick. This is a tough match-up to predict. I agree that there's a good chance that we could see one of them receive their first KO. Either that or a UD for someone. I don't see Hendo submitting Fedor and I don't really see Fedor submitting Hendo unless he drops him with strikes first, but Hendo has a good chin and he defends it well too.

I'm excited but nervous for Fedor. He's definitely one of my all time favorites and I don't want to see him fighting too far past his prime.

In honor of Double's sig mmamania put out this article:

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/7/26/2280829/legendary-knockouts-dan-henderson-nearly-kills-michael-bisping-at-ufc#storyjump

Dan-Henderson-Michael-Bisping-115_large.jpg

The sport of mixed martial arts as we know it today is not only built on exciting fights with definitive finishes but compelling rivalries. These feuds, real or imagined, do wonders in driving interest in the outcome of a fight because, let's face it, two people winging punches at one another can only get you so far.

Bad blood means passion and that, perhaps more than any other invisible trait, translates extremely well to the television medium. It's not often legitimate issues arise and carry themselves out inside the cage or ring. But when they do, it's nothing short of extraordinary.

There are times when promoters take matters into their own hands and do what they can to create a feud. It isn't that they manufacture one, so much as foster an environment in which one can grow organically.

Easiest, most efficient way to do this in UFC? The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) house ... even for the coaches.

This is especially useful when a fighter is particularly difficult to market to the masses. Creative solutions aren't optional when large amounts of money are on the line -- they're absolutely necessary.

Enter Dan Henderson.

A phenomenal fighter who's had a long career in the sport, "Hendo," has a personality that even the most cunning con man would have trouble selling you on.

You want a laid back, California surfer type, who speaks softly and carries a big right hand? "Dangerous" Dan is your man. The problem, of course, is there isn't a big market of mixed martial arts fans that are paying customers willing to shell out the jack to see that. Not in a fight, anyway.

But maybe they would be if he was the proverbial "good guy" going up against a ****y and overconfident "bad guy" with a big mouth who never quite learned how to shut it.

Enter Michael Bisping.

The popular British heel was the perfect fit to coach the Spike TV reality show thanks to his previous stint as a contestant and to take it one step further, a winner of the third installment. With just one loss and 17 wins to his record it made just too much sense to make this match-up a reality.

To top off the cake, the show was dubbed "U.S. vs. U.K." and featured Henderson leading a pack of American protagonists against Bisping rallying his team of English antagonists. The war was on.

Star-divide

Just as was hoped for, Bisping played his role to perfection, turning up his obnoxious tendencies to enough of a degree that he managed to get under the skin of even the most nonchalant of individuals.

This also served the purpose of grabbing the viewing audience and making them want to live vicariously through Henderson, sharing in his frustration at every word uttered by his brash and audacious foe.

Which, of course, would make it that much sweeter if "Hollywood" was to knock him out when they finally met inside the cage.

The best part in all this, is that their scheduled showdown was reserved for July 11, 2009, at the biggest and most heavily promoted event in the history of the UFC, its landmark show -- number 100 (numerically, not literally).

The card was loaded with mega fights, included title defenses from both Brock Lesnar and Georges St. Pierre, unquestionably the two biggest pay-per-view draws in the history of the sport. Henderson and Bisping, thanks to their 12-week cable TV promotional tour on TUF, made it on the poster as a part of a triple main event billing.

The stage, as they say, was set. Now it was time to (stand and) deliver.

The crowd, as expected, boisterously booed Bisping while they were hooting and hollering in favor of Henderson. All that remained between the two slinging leather was the refs orders. Once Mario Yamasaki gave the all clear with his usual, "Let's go, come on!" it was go time.

Right from the beginning, each fighters game plan was painfully obvious. Bisping was clearly hoping to implement his stick-and-move style with plenty of movement and just as much fancy footwork.

Henderson, meanwhile, was simply head-hunting, staying flat on his feet with his missile fist ****ed and ready to unload just as soon as the right opportunity presented itself.

There were various spots in the first round that he launched that missile, but it never quite hit its mark with the necessary force to explode upon detonation.

But as the fight wore on, another fact became even more painfully obvious -- "The Count" was continually making the absolute worst mistake possible.

He was circling to his left.

This was so technically incorrect for one very simple reason ... "Hendo" is right handed. That missile, when he was sending it flying, was coming from the right side, directly at the area Bisping was moving straight into.

The first round was a foreshadowing of the second and ultimately what led to the Englishman's demise.

Again, this was so obvious to anyone watching with even a rudimentary knowledge of boxing, it was curious that Bisping seemed so oblivious to the fatal missteps he was taking.

This was driven home big time when he walked to his corner and they immediately lit him up, blasting him for doing the one thing that could get him killed in a match-up against Henderson.

"You're walking right on to the back hand, mate. Get off his back hand, it's absolutely pathetic. Moving to the right, move to the right, Mike."

Advice that, if heard, was almost completely disregarded.

Throughout the duration of the second frame, there were periods in which he would start to step right but immediately revert back to circling towards his left. Ringside color commentator Joe Rogan was quick to comment on it.

"Bisping, again, is circling towards his left, which is Dan Henderson's power side," he said. "As he goes towards his left, he runs into the big right hand of Dan Henderson and that's what his coach didn't want."

As if on cue, just four short seconds later, it happened.

Henderson throws one lazy inside kick but doesn't follow it up with anything. In his next movement, he slides in with yet another inside kick but loads up the missile right hand and sends it flying at Bisping's face, who powerlessly runs right into it.

"Hendo" explodes all the way through with the punch and Bisping hits the floor in a crumpled heap of flesh and failed hopes and dreams. Henderson, seeing his opponent fall, goes into absolute kill mode and finishes the job (which was already done) by sailing through the air and landing one more sickening blow as Bisping lay flat on his back, already in a different dimension.

Sleep tight.

Our friend Scott Christ of Bad Left Hook took some time to explain how this all went down from a pure boxing perspective:

Looking at this on repeat to analyze (and just because it's a great knockout), obviously Rogan was 100-percent correct that Bisping circling the wrong way was a terrible idea, and that's the biggest reason this knockout happens. But it's not the only one.

It probably isn't quite the same level error as it is in high-level boxing, where it's simply boxing 101, but it's a major tactical error, no matter what sport you're in. It's just always a bad idea to circle into the other guy's power hand, for what should be obvious reasons. Bisping should have been going the other way to keep Henderson's right hand away from him. Of course, he could have been worried about other factors, which is something you don't see in boxing because punches are the only offense.

Henderson definitely read the situation and was aiming for this. Bisping is just wide open for the big shot, and it's because Henderson sets him up so beautifully and then commits to the punch in the biggest way possible. The left kick Henderson uses as a distraction is the real key to this whole moment. The kick is a more of a distracting weapon than even a good set-up jab in boxing (take a look at Randall Bailey knocking out Frankie Figueroa for a good example), because it totally changes what Bisping is preparing to receive.

In moving to his left to avoid that kick, he locks his eyes on Henderson's face (or head, since "Hendo's" face is down) and never sees the haymaker right hand coming in. Bisping is both going to his left and awkwardly pulling back, which drops his left hand to his side as he tries to create room. By pulling back, he even winds up turning his jaw directly into the punch, even more of a sign that he truly did not see the punch coming in ... at all.

In the split second after the set-up kick, Bisping, more or less does every possible thing wrong that he could have and Henderson does the one perfect thing in that same second -- sells out on a monster right hand and scores an enormous knockout.

This knockout was so incredible, so unbelievably powerful and full of meaning, it immediately went down as one of the greatest knockouts in the entire history of organized MMA. It was truly that special.

The audience at home got their wish, as Henderson delivered in the best way he possibly could, finally landing a punch so hard that the arrogant Bisping was finally rendered speechless.

The unconscious part was a pleasant side bonus.

Surely, though, the customers purchasing and viewing on their TV sets couldn't compare, whatsoever, to the live audience of a reported 10,871 delirious fans in attendance at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Luckily, our Founder and Commander-in-Chief here at MMAmania.com, Thomas Myers, was live on the scene bearing witness to all the pandemonium.

Here's how he described the atmosphere in the building when Henderson sent Bisping's head into the cheap seats:

The crowd had become a little subdued to start the second round. Perhaps it was the alcohol -- UFC 100 was more of a celebration than an actual event that weekend -- or the notion that another decision (there were four up until that point) was on the horizon. However, our collective heads all snapped around, just like Bisping's, when Henderson connected with that laser. Children cheered. Women screamed. Grown men giggled. All at once, in chorus. It was unlike anything I have ever heard. Oohs, aahs, hi fives and "did you just ****ing see that's?" followed quickly thereafter when the big screens flashed the devastation, over and over, to an awestruck audience. It continued for awhile, too -- it took them a long time to cart Bisping out of the Octagon. But the replays never ceased to impress. And they still don't ... more than two years and 30 major shows later. It's an epic knockout, one for the ages, that will stand the test of time. One that I might even tell my grandchildren about. It was that memorable.

The knockout elevated this show to a level that earned it "Event of the Year" by most major publications. The importance of the moment added to the significance of the performance turned in by Henderson, who, if he wasn't before, was now a full blown American hero.

To this day, the videos and .gifs play on throughout mixed martial arts forums all over the Internet. By all means, please feel free to share your personal favorites in the comments section below.

And here's one more for the road showcasing Dan Henderson's legendary knockout of Michael Bisping at UFC 100.

VIoafgwvDS4

Edited by Sebowski