Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

This should be interesting. Tito almost beat Rashad in their first fight and Rashad hasn't fought in over a year. Can Ortiz pull a Chris Leben and finish two fights on back-to-back cards w/ short notice?

I doubt it. But if Tito does win he should go ahead and retire on a high note instead of getting embarrassed by Jon Jones in an inevitable title fight.

This should be interesting. Tito almost beat Rashad in their first fight and Rashad hasn't fought in over a year. Can Ortiz pull a Chris Leben and finish two fights on back-to-back cards w/ short notice?

I doubt it. But if Tito does win he should go ahead and retire on a high note instead of getting embarrassed by Jon Jones in an inevitable title fight.

Wow. After what Jones did to a top-rate fighter like Rua, I shudder to think what he'd do to Tito. (I'm even scared for Rampage to be honest. He's starting to look rather Tito-ish these days.)

If Machida doesn't end up taking this fight I don't really know who else they can get. Maybe someone like Matt Hamill? I don't think this was that popular of a card to begin with, if they have to move Franklin/Nog to the main event, they're definitely going to lose some PPV buys.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 03:15 PM ----------

Cro Cops probably going to get KO'd or submitted in his last fight :(

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/13/2273685/mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-vs-roy-nelson-planned-for-ufc-137

On a brighter note though, this is what UFC 137 is looking like so far:

-Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz - UFC welterweight championship

-B.J. Penn vs. Carlos Condit

-Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop

-Mirko Filipovic vs. Roy Nelson

Pretty good card thus far..:fingersx: hoping for no injuries

Add Mitrione-Kongo

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 12:53 AM ----------

btw, I am psyched about Condit-Penn. FOTN favorite right there.

Sakuraba's birthday is today...saw this highlight posted on Sherdog :

8:30 is classic

Add Mitrione-Kongo

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 12:53 AM ----------

btw, I am psyched about Condit-Penn. FOTN favorite right there.

Either Condit/Penn, Diaz/GSP and now Mitrione/Kongo...any of those could be FOTN...damn this is going to be a good card.

Strikeforce_grand_prix_bracket_updated_large.jpg

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24404/sources-strikeforce-grand-prix-semifinals-set-for-sept-10.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29

With four heavyweights remaining in Strikeforce's grand prix, a date has been set for the semifinals of the eight-man tournament.

Multiple sources close to the promotion on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that an event set for Sept. 10 will host the third leg of the grand prix.

A host city has yet to be confirmed at the time of this writing.

Four bouts are already rumored for the early fall card: A middleweight title match between current champ Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Luke Rockhold; a light-heavyweight bout between former champ Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal and submission ace Roger Gracie; a lightweight matchup between former lightweight champion Josh Thomson and Maximo Blanco; and another light-heavyweight tilt between former champ Gegard Mousasi and Mike Kyle.

None of the bouts have been made official by Strikeforce, nor has the event.

As for the tournament, the semifinals feature two bouts: Alistair Overeem vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and Sergei Kharitonov vs. Josh Barnett.

Overeem (35-11 MMA, 3-0 SF) advanced this past month with a decision win over Fabricio Werdum while Silva (16-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) pulled a major upset this past February with a TKO of Fedor Emelianenko due to doctor stoppage.

Kharitonov (18-4 MMA, 1-0 SF) fought alongside Silva, where he leveled Andrei Arlovski in the first quarterfinal event, and Barnett (30-5 MMA, 1-0 SF), who also fought this past June, submitted Brett Rogers in the second quarterfinal event.

Following that event, which took place June 18 in Dallas, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said the semifinals would take place sometime in the fall with the tournament concluding in February 2012. Although a jump to pay-per-view has repeatedly been mentioned for the finals, plans have yet to be finalized.

Psh, that's a great card. Football season starts (fingers crossed), plus that SF card and three UFC events being held around that time frame. The end of summer/beginning of fall is going to be awesome.

Hell yeah. Just like the surge of good cards that happened this summer. Gotta love it.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/13/2273685/mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-vs-roy-nelson-planned-for-ufc-137

On a brighter note though, this is what UFC 137 is looking like so far:

-Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz - UFC welterweight championship

-B.J. Penn vs. Carlos Condit

-Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop

-Mirko Filipovic vs. Roy Nelson

Pretty good card thus far..:fingersx: hoping for no injuries

UFC 136 is stacked as well: http://www.sbnation.com/mma/fight-card/79759/ufc-136-edgar-vs-maynard-iii

UFC 136 FIGHT CARD

OCT 8, 2011 9:00 PM EDT

LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard

FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT

Jose Aldo vs Kenny Florian

Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann

Josh Grispi vs Matt Grice

Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon

Demian Maia vs Jorge Santiago

Dave Herman vs Mike Russow

I...can't...wait for those two cards. Although I am going to have trouble picking that Aldo-Florian fight. I am quite fond of them both.

October is going to be nice month for MMA...wow.

I didn't even know about the Lauzon/Guillard or Maia/Santiago fights. Awesome stuff.

Florian is the 155lb Fitch (and now prob 145lb too) He is not on the level of the champions but he is prob the best of the rest.

That is a good way of putting it. But he has enough skill that if you leave him an opening he can exploit it and end up with the belt. Penn was not going to let that happen, but Aldo did not look as bulletproof as normal in his last fight against Hominick.

The only thing I worry about is that Kenny has not fought his best in his biggest fights. I am not going to go as far to call him a choker like Dana did (yet), but win or lose, I think he needs to put on a good performance or he might never have another shot at a title. This has the potential to be a great fight, and whoever wins, I just hope that it lives up to it.

Psh, that's a great card. Football season starts (fingers crossed), plus that SF card and three UFC events being held around that time frame. The end of summer/beginning of fall is going to be awesome.

Well, you can drop the "football" out of that equation.

Even if Training Camp starts on time, players will be a LONG way off, both mentally and physically.

They'll be struggling to get to know the playbook mentally, and struggling to get in shape, and that can only mean sloppy play for a couple months, and extra injuries, so the whole season may be essentially screwed for all intents and purposes, even if they play a full season.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/16/2279418/anthony-pettis-vs-jeremy-stephens-set-for-ufc-136

The UFC added even more depth to the already-incredible UFC 136 card, matching up hard-hitter Jeremy Stephens with former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis. The tilt joins two title fights and a plethora of other top matchups on the August 8th card in Houston. UFC.com has it:

Two of the most exciting fighters in the lightweight division will face off as verbal agreements are in for Jeremy "Little Heathen" Stephens VS Anthony "Showtime" Pettis at UFC 136, UFC president Dana White confirmed today.

Pettis is coming off a loss in his first UFC fight against Clay Guida. Originally he was supposed to get a UFC lightweight title shot in his UFC debut, but the draw between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard at UFC 125 in January muddied the title waters in the division and Pettis was given a fight with Guida instead. The loss was a huge setback for him, but he'll try to get back into contention with a win over Stephens. Jeremy has won four out his last five fights and a win over Pettis would lift him into the upper echelon of the division.

more fire for an already stacked card

They may as well just scrap this card.

Or not.

2-2 in the UFC, and 0-2 in his last 2 fights ?

So his greatest accomplishment is he's got a Nogueira Black Belt, which of course, is like saying he got a free toy with his Happy Meal.

Edited by Mickalino

The PPV buy number is going to be abysmal...

With Nogueira out, Franklin also scratched from August's UFC 133 event

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm ET

It looks like the UFC finally ran out of options.

After a hectic pace of shuffling in light heavyweights to key UFC 133 matchups, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva was finally forced to admit defeat.

UFC officials today announced that Antonio Rogerio Nogueira's withdrawal from the Aug. 6 event has forced the cancellation of a planned co-feature contest with Rich Franklin.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported Nogueira's withdrawal late Saturday night.

With the change, the UFC 133 lineup now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

• Rashad Evans vs. Tito Ortiz
  • Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Vitor Belfort
  • Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
  • Rory MacDonald vs. Mike Pyle
  • Brian Ebersole vs. Dennis Hallman

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

• Alexander Gustafsson vs. Matt Hamill
  • Chad Mendes vs. Rani Yahya

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

• Ivan Menjivar vs. Nick Pace
  • Johny Hendricks vs. Mike Pierce
  • Mike Brown vs. Nam Phan
  • Rafael "Sapo" Natal vs. Costantinos Phillippou

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24445/with-nogueira-out-franklin-also-scratched-from-augusts-ufc-133-event.mma

If the buy rate is high, Tito may have a contract for life.