Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Overeem was on Ariel Helwani's show today saying that he will not be fighting for Strikeforce on Sept. 10th. He says that he was told the fight would be in October but then Zuffa approached him about Sept 10th. He says he recently suffered an injury in training and that it would not be enough time for him to recover and have a full training camp for the fight. Also is saying that Zuffa threatened to release him if he did not sign for Sept. 10th. :(

edit: http://www.addictedmma.com/story-Front-page_3753_Zuffa-Threatens-To-Pull-Overeem-Out-of-Strikeforce-Grand-Prix.php

Edited by Patrick86L

man all the loses to 133 are really starting to suck. Anyone know if Rich Franklin, or a guy in his situation gets coverage from the UFC's insurance policy? he did not get injured, and from what I have heard the insurance works more as a loan to cover the fighters training costs until a fight can be rescheduled and then the money they get from the rescheduled fight goes to pay back the insurance company, so I am wondering if Rich would qualify for the insurance.

Speaking of guys dropping from 133, what the heck is Vitor Belfort still doing on the card? He was the one dropping off cards before it was popular and well before the UFC had any insurance. Seriously, when the card was announced, if someone told you that you would lose at least 5 fighters from that card, how many people would not have picked Belfort to be one of the ones who had to drop out?

As long as the injury bug stays away from Silva and Okami for 134 I will be a happy man, knock on wood.

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

Overeem was on Ariel Helwani's show today saying that he will not be fighting for Strikeforce on Sept. 10th. He says that he was told the fight would be in October but then Zuffa approached him about Sept 10th. He says he recently suffered an injury in training and that it would not be enough time for him to recover and have a full training camp for the fight. Also is saying that Zuffa threatened to release him if he did not sign for Sept. 10th. :(

wow, Zuffa must have plans for Strikeforce after this GP is done. Does anyone know exactly when Strikeforce's TV deal runs out? If the threat to Overeem is real, I think Zuffa is already thinking about folding Strikeforce and cherry picking the best fighters. Not like we haven't seen this before, RIP Pride.

Interesting take on Lyoto Machida turning down the fight with Rashad Evans, which I pointed out in fewer words when it happened....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ben_fowlkes/07/15/machida-ufc-133/index.html?sct=mma_wr_a1

Machida being made to look like bad guy for turning UFC down

Here's a hypothetical question to prompt an uncomfortable amount of soul-searching: say your boss comes to you with an offer for a promotion that initially sounds good, but upon closer inspection it seems like it might not be the best deal for you. Not enough money for the responsibility. Say the more you think about it, the worse the deal sounds. The question is: how much of a raise would it take to make a bad idea seem like a good one?

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida confronted a question along those lines this week when UFC president Dana White came to him with an offer to step in as a late-notice injury replacement against Rashad Evans at UFC 133. The fight was a little over three weeks away when Machida got the call, and since no one trains especially hard the week of the fight, that meant only two weeks of real preparation time.

Machida told Sherdog.com that he initially thought it sounded doable, but then White wanted him to immediately leave Brazil for the U.S. to do his training camp on American soil, and the more he considered the prospect, the more it sounded like a situation where he had more to lose than gain.

After all, Machida already owns a win over Evans, so how much would he benefit from another one? And while Machida's been hanging out on the beach awaiting a fight offer, Evans has been in the gym for a full training camp, preparing diligently for his big comeback fight. Once you start tallying it all up, there seem to be more marks in Evans' column than in Machida's.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ben_fowlkes/07/15/machida-ufc-133/index.html#ixzz1SUYrnV3S

Unbelievable. I just hope 'Reem doesn't fight cans in Japan the rest of his career. Maybe he'll stick to K-1? Let's hope this is summed up as a matter of him being injured too close to fight night. Put him in the UFC, put Silva in the UFC after the tourney...they've gotta fight one day, that would of been a barn burner. Shame.

Showtime is the one who isn't budging on the fight date. Still don't know what's up with the threat of being cut...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24461/white-overeem-still-under-contract-with-strikeforce-will-fight-again-when-toe-heals.mma

White: Overeem still under contract with Strikeforce, will fight again when toe heals

by John Morgan on Jul 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm ET

While Alistair Overeem (35-11 MMA, 3-0 SF) will no longer compete in Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix, he will fight again under the promotion's banner.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with UFC president Dana White that the Strikeforce heavyweight champion is still under contract with the promotion and will return to action when a nagging toe injury is healed.

"Sept. 10 was the date Showtime wants us to go, so it's the date we've got to go," White said. "It's unfortunate that Alistair is unavailable, but situations like this are why there are alternates in the tournament."

In addition to his duties as UFC boss, White is also a minority owner of Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of the UFC that recently acquired Strikeforce, as well.

Overeem today revealed on MMA Fighting's "The MMA Hour" that the promotion requested he return to action against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva (16-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) on Sept. 10. However, the Dutch striker said he asked for more time and preferred an October booking.

With the company planning for a September event to host the promotion's heavyweight grand prix semifinal bouts, some obvious tension was built. Overeem said the company threatened his release even before today's official announcement.

"What's going to happen next, I don't know," Overeem told MMA Fighting. "I've had some threats of cutting me out of the tournament if I don't participate. I don't know if they're going to do it."

Overeem's publicly stated position was that the Sept. 10 date was too soon to return to action and that he needed time for a broken toe to heal.

However, MMAjunkie.com spoke with several sources who suggested Overeem may be posturing in hopes of better terms on a new contract. It's believed his current Strikeforce deal has just one fight remaining. However, White declined to comment on any potential ongoing negotiations.

According to the UFC boss, it's simple. Overeem is hurt, but the show must go on.

"Overeem is under contract, and when his pinky toe heals up, we'll get him another fight," White said.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Speaking of guys dropping from 133, what the heck is Vitor Belfort still doing on the card? He was the one dropping off cards before it was popular and well before the UFC had any insurance. Seriously, when the card was announced, if someone told you that you would lose at least 5 fighters from that card, how many people would not have picked Belfort to be one of the ones who had to drop out?

Haha. I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. But there is still time for an injury.

As for Overeem, that seriously sucks. I thought something odd was up as some of you did, but it appears as simple as that Showtime wanted the Sept. 10 date and Overeem was injured. It sucks, but it happens sometimes with a tourney. As for the threatening to release him stuff, I am guessing that may be a little blown out of proportion, but who knows.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/19/2282915/ufc-138-set-for-birmingham-england-on-november-5th#comments

Leben vs. Munoz for 138 main event

good matchup, but thats got to be one of the weakest main events in a long time

Indeed, but at least it is free via tape delay on Spike. At least that is what MMA Junkie had in an earlier story...

Middleweights Chris Leben (26-7 MMA, 12-6 UFC) and Mark Munoz (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) will headline a Spike TV-televised UFC 138 event.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported earlier today, the event takes place Nov. 5 at the 16,000-seat LG Arena at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England.

UFC officials since have confirmed the event details and main event, which airs via same-day delay on the UFC's longtime cable partner.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24468/chris-leben-vs-mark-munoz-headlines-ufc-138-in-birmingham-england.mma

Could be a hell of a fight though. It will be interesting to see how they fill out the card.

Edited by lovetoaster

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/19/2282915/ufc-138-set-for-birmingham-england-on-november-5th#comments

Leben vs. Munoz for 138 main event

good matchup, but thats got to be one of the weakest main events in a long time

yeah that is a really weak main event, even worse than Rampage Hamil we had to sit through. The onyl good news is that since it will be on in the UK, North American audiences will get it for free via tape delay on Spike. Munoz must not have wanted to sit and wait for another MW, I see no reason for him to take this fight after Maia, it doesn't really advance him in the rankings at all even if he wins. As for Leben, I guess he is comfortable in playing the role of gatekeeper. At least he doesn't have delusions of fighting Andy again, that would be a big mistake on Leben's part.

Leben/Munoz on the feet is just going to be a bunch of bombs being throw at one another. Munoz takes him down and we'll see if Leben's jits can work some magic, great matchup.

What's surprising is that they've already deemed it the Main Event, without any other fights being on that card. How 'bout a little patience? See what matchups can be set up by then. Oh well, that's a good start to setting up a card.

yeah that is a really weak main event, even worse than Rampage Hamil we had to sit through. The onyl good news is that since it will be on in the UK, North American audiences will get it for free via tape delay on Spike. Munoz must not have wanted to sit and wait for another MW, I see no reason for him to take this fight after Maia, it doesn't really advance him in the rankings at all even if he wins. As for Leben, I guess he is comfortable in playing the role of gatekeeper. At least he doesn't have delusions of fighting Andy again, that would be a big mistake on Leben's part.

there was a story about a couple of weeks ago that Munoz wanted to fight Leben, but Leben wasn't all that interested. I wonder what changed

UFC 135 press conference was today. Jones did his patented look-away staredown and Rampage pretended that they were looking at something together. :ols:

Rampage looks scared.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AmXoOdb.vg3MMpKxu4Eulh89Eo14?slug=mmaweekly-621bdde2aa4a31608216d6bccd698f04

“I think it’s going to be Jon Jones,” Evans told MMAWeekly Radio when asked to predict a winner. “I would like to see Rampage catch him with something, but I honestly believe Rampage is not doing what he needs to do, and he’s not going to do what he needs to do to win the title.”

Jackson’s training habits have come under scrutiny in the past, but with the title on the line, will the fit, trim and ready to rumble Rampage show up?

Rashad Evans doesn’t think so.

“He’s just been living off of fumes of his Pride days, and he really needs to go and take things seriously,” Evans commented. “If he took things seriously, I think he might be able to do something, but he ain’t trying to take nothing serious.”

Unfortunately, I think Rashad has Jackson's number to a tee.

Edited by Chachie

You can see the gif here:

:ols:

I like how Dana White cracked up in the background.

How the heck is Bones a LHW? Dude just towers over everyone he faces. I guarantee that guy is a full-blown HW by the time he climbs in the octagon in every fight.