Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Am I the only one who thought this ended up being an outstanding card minus the main event? I appreciate the main event for what it is but the undercards blew it out of the water.

FTR, GSP takes Hardy down over and over again. That is, if he even lets him up.

I'm with you. Brown-Wilkes is as good a fight as I remember seeing all year. Great technical wrestling, clinching, striking and subs. I can't believe they gave Fight ofthe Night to Bisping-Kang. That is a joke.

Speaking of jokes, what the hell was GSP doing anywhere near Dan Hardy? They have no business being in the same building. Hardy has beaten nobody worthy of a title shot. I'd rather see Kos, Fitch, Alves, and Hughes rematches before Hardy. Even a Trigg rematch would be better. Anthony Johnson would be just fine. Winner of Johnson Koschek would be even better that fight is only a week away. Why isn't that the #1 contender fight? Hardy manager needs a huge raise.

I'd even rather see GSP move up and try a catch weight with a smaller 185'er.

I'm with you. Brown-Wilkes is as good a fight as I remember seeing all year. Great technical wrestling, clinching, striking and subs. I can't believe they gave Fight ofthe Night to Bisping-Kang. That is a joke.

Speaking of jokes, what the hell was GSP doing anywhere near Dan Hardy? They have no business being in the same building. Hardy has beaten nobody worthy of a title shot. I'd rather see Kos, Fitch, Alves, and Hughes rematches before Hardy. Even a Trigg rematch would be better. Anthony Johnson would be just fine. Winner of Johnson Koschek would be even better that fight is only a week away. Why isn't that the #1 contender fight? Hardy manager needs a huge raise.

I'd even rather see GSP move up and try a catch weight with a smaller 185'er.

I think the Brown that everyone on TUF hyped up has finally arrived. He was terrible on the show and I honestly thought he'd never fight in the UFC. Now he's on tear and seems to be getting better with each fight. I loved this fight, insane how he rolled out of the kamora.

I'm with you on Hardy. Dude is fun to watch but he'll get destroyed by GSP. :chair:

This sounds really, really, serious. I hope Brock gets better whether he fights again or not.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/11/16/brock-lesnar-may-never-fight-again/

Dana White: Brock Lesnar May Never Fight Again

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is suffering with something related to an intestinal disorder and will probably require "major surgery," UFC president Dana White said in a report Monday on TMZ.

Lesnar, who twice pushed a fight back recently due to a bout with mononucleosis, is facing a far more significant illness that is potentially career-threatening.

"There's a possibility Lesnar will never fight again," White told TMZ.

White plans to have Lesnar transferred to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. for further diagnosis and treatment.

During the UFC 105 post-fight press conference, White declined to specify Lesnar's illness to respect the star's privacy, but did state that Lesnar neither has cancer nor AIDS.

Lesnar was scheduled to defend his belt against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 but the fight was postponed when Lesnar came down with mono. Both fighters received bout agreements for UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but that was postponed indefinitely earlier this month when Lesnar remained unfit to train.

"I can't really talk about it right now, but he is in rough shape. He's in really bad shape," White said Saturday. "I'm actually probably going to fly to go see him, and we're going to probably have to do some stuff to take care of this guy. He is not well, and he's not getting any better."

Also, he's past his prime IMO, but:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16869/takanori-gomi-in-the-u-s-meeting-with-the-ufc-and-possibly-strikeforce.mma

Takanori Gomi in the U.S., meeting with the UFC (and possibly Strikeforce)

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm ET

Former PRIDE Fighting Championships lightweight title-holder Takanori Gomi recently departed his home in Japan and plans to meet with UFC officials about a potential contract.

Gomi discussed his plans in a blog on his official Web site, where he also discussed attending the weekend's Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto boxing blockbuster.

The 31-year-old fighter, once regarded as the world's top lightweight, said he's also considering discussions with Strikeforce if a deal can't be reached with the UFC.

Gomi (31-5) suffered rare back-to-back loses to unheralded Sergey Golyaev and Satoru Kitaoka in late 2008 and early 2009. The loss to Kitaoka cost Gomi World Victory Road's first-ever lightweight championship. However, he's since rebounded for wins over Takashi Nakakura and Tony Hervey, and he now looks to find a home in the U.S.

Gomi, long on the UFC's radar, said he wants to make his octagon debut to win the belt "that belongs to me." The belt, the UFC's 155-pound title, currently belongs to B.J. Penn, who first defeated Gomi (via third-round submission) at an October 2003 Rumble on the Rock event in Hawaii.

While the UFC arguably has the world's top collection of lightweight fighters, Strikeforce has accumulated a respectable division with current champ Josh Thomson, interim title-holder Gilbert Melendez, and contenders such as Vitor Ribeiro, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Billy Evangelista and Lyle Beerbohm.

Strikeforce also has the benefit of exposing Gomi to a massive TV audience via the CBS Saturday Night Fight series. The first show, headlined by Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers, peaked with 5.5 million viewers earlier this month.

The UFC, though, is obviously Gomi's first choice, and Penn vs. Gomi II is certainly a marketable fight capable of carrying a major pay-per-view event.

Gomi attended UFC 79 in 2007 and prompted speculation about an imminent signing, but he's competed exclusively in Japan ever since PRIDE held a February 2007 show in Las Vegas.

Best wishes to Brock Lesnar. I'm not a big fan but I certainly don't want to see the man's career cut short. I hope he gets well soon.

+1

Not trying to be insensitive but maybe too much juice put a strain on the fella's kidney's & Liver. Been known to do that.

Sorry, I just got to put this out there. There is no way a person gets as big as Brock without doing massive amounts of roids. Done, won't bring it up again.

+1

Not trying to be insensitive but maybe too much juice put a strain on the fella's kidney's & Liver. Been known to do that.

Sorry, I just got to put this out there. There is no way a person gets as big as Brock without doing massive amounts of roids. Done, won't bring it up again.

That's actually a good point. Might not end up being true at all but a very good observation.

This really sucks about Lesnar. I'm a big fan of his...me loves wrastlers. :D I love watching him fight and I think his personality is totally hilarious. So I'm really sad to hear this about his health. Whether he ever fights again or not, I hope he just gets better and is able to enjoy the rest of his life with his family...that's my wish for anyone who is ill.

As for the observation about roids, I can confidently say I don't think he did them during his collegiate wrestling days, the guys get big time tested in college. However, after college and during his "pro" wrestling career, I would not at all be shocked to learn he did some serious roids, among other bad things...he's pretty much admitted that in interviews.

Who knows whether or not that has any bearing on his particular health issue right now; I don't know how steroids affect the intestines or a preexisting intestinal problem. Being hospitalized since collapsing and talk of transferring him to one of the world's premiere research hospital for treatment is certainly very worrisome though. Obviously this is a personal issue for Lesnar and his family, but I'm definitely curious about the type of intestinal-related illness that would just drop a guy like this, require a major surgery and end a career...

Whatever the case, my sympathies go out to him and his family and I really hope he is able to recover from this.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16874/report-ufc-champ-brock-lesnar-suffering-bacterial-infection-in-intestines.mma

The mystery illness plaguing UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar now has a name.

UFC president Dana White today told the Associated Press that Lesnar is currently suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestinal track in addition to the mononucleosis that has recently plagued him

White shared with a small group of reporters at this past Saturday's post-UFC 105 press conference that Lesnar would be out indefinitely due to the issues.

"I'm actually probably going to fly to go see him, and we're going to probably have to do some stuff to take care of this guy," White said on Saturday. "He is not well, and he's not getting any better."

Despite the new diagnosis, White told the Associated Press he was still encouraging Lesnar to seek further treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Lesnar had been expected to meet challenger Shane Carwin at Saturday's UFC 106 event, but the illness forced the UFC to reschedule the contest for Jan. 2. That date has also since been scrapped.

On Saturday, White refused to speculate on whether the condition could potentially be career-ending. Today's report also did little to clear the air.

"It depends on how serious this is," White said.

This really sucks about Lesnar. I'm a big fan of his...me loves wrastlers. :D I love watching him fight and I think his personality is totally hilarious. So I'm really sad to hear this about his health. Whether he ever fights again or not, I hope he just gets better and is able to enjoy the rest of his life with his family...that's my wish for anyone who is ill.

As for the observation about roids, I can confidently say I don't think he did them during his collegiate wrestling days, the guys get big time tested in college. However, after college and during his "pro" wrestling career, I would not at all be shocked to learn he did some serious roids, among other bad things...he's pretty much admitted that in interviews.

Who knows whether or not that has any bearing on his particular health issue right now; I don't know how steroids affect the intestines or a preexisting intestinal problem. Being hospitalized since collapsing and talk of transferring him to one of the world's premiere research hospital for treatment is certainly very worrisome though. Obviously this is a personal issue for Lesnar and his family, but I'm definitely curious about the type of intestinal-related illness that would just drop a guy like this, require a major surgery and end a career...

Whatever the case, my sympathies go out to him and his family and I really hope he is able to recover from this.

Steroids Side Effects and Health Hazards

The major side effects from abusing anabolic steroids can include liver tumors and cancer, jaundice (yellowish pigmentation of skin, tissues, and body fluids), fluid retention, high blood pressure, increases in LDL (bad cholesterol), and decreases in HDL (good cholesterol). Other side effects include kidney tumors, severe acne, and trembling. In addition, there are some gender-specific side effects:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/Steroids.html

Again, I really hope the guy is okay but you have to imagine how much steroids a guy would have to do to go from the size he was in college to the size he was in Pro wrestling. We're probably talking 60lbs of muscle. He was around 300lbs of muscle in the WWE,F or whatever it's called these days. That's not just a couple cycles of juice to push through a plateau.

I also know that oral steroids will really take their toll on your liver, kidney's and prostate. Good friend of mine ate dynabol like it was freaking candy, 10+ pills a day in addition to the crap he was injecting in his ass. Also, when some of these guys reach a plateau with the roids they'll inject themselves with insulin to gain weight. You wouldn't believe the things people will do to gain more mass, it's an addiction.

I wish him the best and I'd love to see him fight again. I hope it's not as serious as Dana is making it sound and doesn't have any long term affects.

Again, I really hope the guy is okay but you have to imagine how much steroids a guy would have to do to go from the size he was in college to the size he was in Pro wrestling. We're probably talking 60lbs of muscle. He was around 300lbs of muscle in the WWE,F or whatever it's called these days. That's not just a couple cycles of juice to push through a plateau.

I also know that oral steroids will really take their toll on your liver, kidney's and prostate. Good friend of mine ate dynabol like it was freaking candy, 10+ pills a day in addition to the crap he was injecting in his ass. Also, when some of these guys reach a plateau with the roids they'll inject themselves with insulin to gain weight. You wouldn't believe the things people will do to gain more mass, it's an addiction.

I wish him the best and I'd love to see him fight again. I hope it's not as serious as Dana is making it sound and doesn't have any long term affects.

No offense, but:

We have no idea if this has anything to do with his current condition. The bottom line is that we don't know anything. You are insinuating that he has used performance enhancers based on the behavior of people that you know. But I beg to differ, I do not think he has used anything in a while because his body has changed since his pro wrestling days. But then again, neither of us know anything for certain. All we can do is speculate.

I too know plenty of people who have in the past and still do use PEDs. What they do/have done gives me no knowledge on Lesnar's situation. Just because some people are addicted to them does not mean everyone is. You can't just throw everyone that has used PEDs in the same category, referring to them as "these guys." It just does not work that way.

And I do not know about the adding 60lbs of muscle as you reference. I know you posted a picture earlier of Lesnar in college, but that must have been very early. Because I saw Lesnar wrestle in college, and this is more like what I remember:

get_image?provider_id=462&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=8099838

That's a pretty big man. Not as big as he was in WWE, but still pretty darn big.

So, again, I am pretty sure he roided in the past. We might disagree on how recently he has roided, but the bottom line is that we have no clue. He has not failed a drug test, so I do not really see this point in this speculation. If the argument is that he has learned to cycle on and off to aviod positive tests, can't you use that logic for any fighter? I know that he is in the hospital with a pretty serious ailment, but for what I know, steriods and other PEDs do not normally cause serious damage to the intestine.

We can start another thread to discuss steriods, but as far as this one is concerned, not to sound like a jerk, but I think you have made your point.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3440

17/11/09 - RVCA and Clinch Gear banned by UFC RVCA and Clinch Gear have become the two latest additions to the UFC’s sponsorship blacklist, it was confirmed today. The bannings were the subject of much discussion among industry insiders at the weekend’s UFC 105 event, but were not confirmed until today.

RVCA has attracted the ire of the UFC by sponsoring Fedor Emelianenko for his fight with Brett Rogers on the recent Strikeforce/CBS show. As a long-time sponsor of lightweight champion BJ Penn, the brand is a familiar one with UFC fans.

Clinch Gear has been banned from the Octagon for obvious reasons. The brand is Dan Henderson’s own clothing line and as the UFC and he are no longer seeing eye to eye, the label is not welcome in the cage. Relations between UFC president Dana White and Henderson have apparently been cordial during negotiations but this latest move may upset the former Pride double-champion.

The UFC and a Zuffa have a history of banning certain brands from sponsoring athletes in the UFC and WEC cages. And earlier this year, an arbitrary sponsorship tax was also introduced with the aim of filtering out the small-scale companies that were finding their way into main-card sponsorship slots.

the petty side of Dana & the UFC has returned

I'd very much like to ask you this question, and it's NOT a call out. I remember when Evans KO'd Chuck, you went off about him. He did his Sanford impression while Chuck was unconscious, and you were none too pleased.

But now, you're saying Brock is a fav of yours. To me, what he did was much more despicable than what Rashad did. Rashad did a funny little antic, and I don't think he even realized the severity of the KO. Brock, on the other hand, runs up to a bloodied Mir AFTER the fight, while the docs are still looking at him (or just finished), and got in his face and looked as though he'd hit him again. Just curious why you feel differently about the two incidents.

Personally, I'm not a fan of either fighter, or either act.

You're right, I did say I wouldn't bring it up again but Keestman talked about it in her post so I found some info addressing the possibility of steroids having an adverse effect on your kidney's, liver, prostate and everything in between.

Speculation is what message boards are made of. We speculate about politics, sports, and what fighter would kick another fighters ass. Look what roids did to many of the other wrestlers. Again, pure speculation but if you sleep with dogs you get fleas. Roids are an integral part of the culture these guys live in so it's actually a pretty easy leap to make.

By the way Lovetoaster, the picture you showed; how many people you know that size with striations in their chest like that? Seriously, that dude was pretty damn ripped. Compare him to other MMA fighters fighting at the same weight he was fighting in college. Also, how much did he weigh in that picture? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018452/index.htm say's here that he put on 60lbs from high school in 96 to college in 98, naturally?

He's obviously got gentetics on his side but dude, that's an insane amount of muscle in two years. Also, how the hell did his head get so big? HGH? Read link below.

http://www.drugfreesport.com/newsroom/insight.asp?VolID=33&TopicID=7

No offense, but you have absolutely no idea how much muscle Brock has put on and taken off, you are completely guessing with your figure here.

The guy was pretty huge in college. My husband remembers Brock canon-balling off the roof of a friend's house into the pool back in college and him almost draining the pool, lol. Okay, obviously draining the pool is an exageration, however, the guy has always been pretty freakishly huge.

I'm not saying that he did or did not do roids after his collegiate career. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if that was confirmed. However, you seem to be discounting his natural size and are just throwing out figures regarding his muscle gain following college.

I actually have friends who have been on heavy duty steroids, I'm pretty well aware of the crap they do. I am also well aware of steroid effects on organs like the kidneys, liver, prostrate, acne, etc. What I am not fully aware of is what types of effects steroids potentially have on the INTESTINE, the actual organ that is involved here in Brock's case.

At this point, everything is conjecture regarding the causes of his condition (unless we are members of his medical care team which obviously none of us are). If I had to guess though, I would be surprised if a current bacterial infection in the intestine necessitating major surgery was the result of possible steroid usage years ago... Who knows though.

By the way Lovetoaster, the picture you showed; how many people you know that size with striations in their chest like that? Seriously, that dude was pretty damn ripped. Compare him to other MMA fighters fighting at the same weight he was fighting in college. Also, how much did he weigh in that picture? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018452/index.htm say's here that he put on 60lbs from high school in 96 to college in 98, naturally?

From your very link:

That's because it's hard to get past Lesnar's imposing physique. He's a weight-lifting fanatic and has put on 60 pounds since graduating from Webster (S.Dak.) High in 1996. He can deadlift 720 pounds, squat 695 and bench-press 475, totals that arouse suspicion that he didn't attain such strength naturally. Robinson had Lesnar tested for steroids shortly after he arrived at Minnesota. The results were negative. "I never thought Brock was using steroids," says Robinson. "When people look at him, they make assumptions, and I told Brock that I wanted to eliminate the question before it became an issue. He didn't have a problem with that."

Again, I'm he was probably involved with roids, but in college, no way.

But now, you're saying Brock is a fav of yours. To me, what he did was much more despicable than what Rashad did. Rashad did a funny little antic, and I don't think he even realized the severity of the KO. Brock, on the other hand, runs up to a bloodied Mir AFTER the fight, while the docs are still looking at him (or just finished), and got in his face and looked as though he'd hit him again. Just curious why you feel differently about the two incidents.

Good question. There's really no rhyme or reason why I like Brock and don't really like Rashad other than the stories my husband has told me about hanging out with Brock at wrestling camps in Min. I guess his stories have endeared me to Lesnar, simply b/c I know a bit more about what's behind his facade than I do about Rashad. I will say however, that I like Rashad a lot more now that I've seen him coaching on this season's TUF, although TUF is totally lame...

He shouldn't have gone up to Mir like that, but I can kind of see that happening because he's a pretty intense dude; he's a lot more emotional than a lot of other fighters. Still shouldn't have done it at all, I guess I just kind of "get" that personality more as the years go by and I am kind of thrust into hanging out with more and more wrestlers. They seem to have a similar personality streak that runs through most of them. :whoknows:

As for Rashad, I probably was too harsh on him back in the day when he KO'd Chuck. My dislike for Rashad made me dislike the act even more and have a more visceral reaction against what he did. What he did wasn't right either, but like you say, it probably wasn't a completely intentionally malicious act.

So you're right, my reactions to the two acts aren't consistent. Sorry. Tried to explain it a little bit, but I'll be the first to admit they aren't consistent. But hey, I'm a crazy chick, I'm not supposed to utilize a rational reasoning process when formulating opinions about who I like!!! So there. :silly:

Edited by Special K

From your very link:

That's because it's hard to get past Lesnar's imposing physique. He's a weight-lifting fanatic and has put on 60 pounds since graduating from Webster (S.Dak.) High in 1996. He can deadlift 720 pounds, squat 695 and bench-press 475, totals that arouse suspicion that he didn't attain such strength naturally. Robinson had Lesnar tested for steroids shortly after he arrived at Minnesota. The results were negative. "I never thought Brock was using steroids," says Robinson. "When people look at him, they make assumptions, and I told Brock that I wanted to eliminate the question before it became an issue. He didn't have a problem with that."

Again, I'm he was probably involved with roids, but in college, no way.

Again 60lbs of MUSCLE in two years. Ask your friend who use steroids if they think a guy could put on that much muscle without help.

You ignored the link addressing HGH and there being no test in 05 and only a blood test now. You also ignored the fact his head looks like it's doubled in size which is a direct side effect of prolonged HGH use. I've gained almost 90lbs since graduating basic training yet 20 years later I still wear a 7 1/4 hat.

As for the intestine thing Dana is talking about he's being pretty vague, don't you think? I also didn't intend to say that "OMG roids is killing Brock" or "OMG Brocks illness is directly linked to roids". I think my original comment was

HGH isn't juice, but I guess I kind of lump them in the same catergory even though they're technically not the same. I guess I should have been more specific and said PED's.

Of course he was arrested for possession of a shipment of what cops thought were steroids but later dropped the charges when they realized it was some type of growth hormone. I also read that supposedly it was later found to be some type of tylenol but haven't been able to find it anywhere but a message board somewhere.

Not trying to get into a pissing match about it, I just know anything in excess is bad for you and IMHO he did something excessively to get that big and I ain't talking about excessive weight training.

Speculation and based on no intimate knowledge of his current condition. I'm just saying.

Good question. There's really no rhyme or reason why I like Brock and don't really like Rashad other than the stories my husband has told me about hanging out with Brock at wrestling camps in Min. I guess his stories have endeared me to Lesnar, simply b/c I know a bit more about what's behind his facade than I do about Rashad. I will say however, that I like Rashad a lot more now that I've seen him coaching on this season's TUF, although TUF is totally lame...

He shouldn't have gone up to Mir like that, but I can kind of see that happening because he's a pretty intense dude; he's a lot more emotional than a lot of other fighters. Still shouldn't have done it at all, I guess I just kind of "get" that personality more as the years go by and I am kind of thrust into hanging out with more and more wrestlers. They seem to have a similar personality streak that runs through most of them. :whoknows:

As for Rashad, I probably was too harsh on him back in the day when he KO'd Chuck. My dislike for Rashad made me dislike the act even more and have a more visceral reaction against what he did. What he did wasn't right either, but like you say, it probably wasn't a completely intentionally malicious act.

So you're right, my reactions to the two acts aren't consistent. Sorry. Tried to explain it a little bit, but I'll be the first to admit they aren't consistent. But hey, I'm a crazy chick, I'm not supposed to utilize a rational reasoning process when formulating opinions about who I like!!! So there. :silly:

Can't argue with that response. Fair enough.

BTW, Brock did 'roids. :D