Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Great wins by Koscheck and Lil Nog. Tito looked like he just ran out of gas which is rare for him but whatever, Forrest looked a lot better than I thought he would after he was neutered by Anderson.

I missed the Nog fight. Loved Koschek calling Dan Hardy. I won't revisit my feelings on Hardy haveing a title shot. Kos should either get the shot right now. Hardy needs to go through at least two of Kos, Fitch, Alves, Paulo Thiago first. How big of a favorite would Anthony Johnson be over Hardy? I'd take him at -250 all day.

Tito may have been telling the truth, but he should have kept his mouth shut until the press conference.

Lil Nog-Franklin anyone? Without seeing the fight tonight I think that would be a very good fight.

I missed the Nog fight. Loved Koschek calling Dan Hardy. I won't revisit my feelings on Hardy haveing a title shot. Kos should either get the shot right now. Hardy needs to go through at least two of Kos, Fitch, Alves, Paulo Thiago first. How big of a favorite would Anthony Johnson be over Hardy? I'd take him at -250 all day.

Tito may have been telling the truth, but he should have kept his mouth shut until the press conference.

Lil Nog-Franklin anyone? Without seeing the fight tonight I think that would be a very good fight.

Lil Nog dropped Cane like a bad habit with a nasty left hook. I'd be down to see Franklin get KO'd again.

I agree about Hardy too, he needs to fight some legit competition before he fights GSP, and Mike Swick doesn't count.

Hardy fighting GSP will be like Anderson fighting Leites all over again. You know the champ is going to win and you know it's wasting a fight on a top P4P fighter in the sport who could be fighting someone more exciting and more deserving.

fight of the night went to Koscheck/johnson (70k bonus for each fighter)

submission of the night went to Koscheck (70k bonus)

KO of the night went to Lil Nog (70k bonus)

i was almost certain Ben Saunders would get KO of the Night

Yeah Saunders' KO was more definitely more deserving... maybe they were giving it based on the unlikelihood of Cane getting stopped like that? lol

Also, did anyone think that Forrest took that last round with nearly a 10-8? Tito put up almost zero offense and only enough defense to not get finished.

I thought it was a pretty dominant round. I think it has a lot to do with Tito's ring rust but Forrest did come back a lot stronger than I thought.

Yeah Saunders' KO was more definitely more deserving... maybe they were giving it based on the unlikelihood of Cane getting stopped like that? lol

Also, did anyone think that Forrest took that last round with nearly a 10-8? Tito put up almost zero offense and only enough defense to not get finished.

I thought it was a pretty dominant round. I think it has a lot to do with Tito's ring rust but Forrest did come back a lot stronger than I thought.

i was a dominant round but i'd only go 10-9 because forrest still never really came close to finishing the fight in that round. he thoroughly picked Tito apart that round, but he still never buckled, stunned, or even knocked him down. i think a 10-8 round has to have some point where you did some major damage to your opponent

how? That fight was a disaster featuring one guy faking an injury and another getting poked in the eye twice which turned the fight.
Nonsense again! Grove had a much better sub as did George Sotiropoulos both of which employed an initial sub attempt to force the opponent into the eventual submission.
Saunders and this was a toss up, both were very good. I would have given the edge to Saunders being that his opponent has been fighting a long time and had never been KO'd

Not even close to 10-8. I don't like the 10 point system because of weaknesses like this but 10-8 is a rarity. It basically means that the opponent was completely dominated, on the run the entire round, and incredibly lucky to escape the round.

Outside of point deductions 10-8 is the best possible outcome for a round score-wise. I saw more dominant rounds in other fights last night that round 3 of Tito Griffin.

how? That fight was a disaster featuring one guy faking an injury and another getting poked in the eye twice which turned the fight.

only thing i can think of is that is was competitive compared to the one-sided matches on the card. i thought they'd throw it to Tito/Forrest. i cant really complain too much though, honestly i dont think there was a fight on the card that deserved this bonus

Nonsense again! Grove had a much better sub as did George Sotiropoulos both of which employed an initial sub attempt to force the opponent into the eventual submission.

i agree with you on this one. i think they take into account the significance of the match when going into the awards which tends to give main eventers & co-main eventers an inherit edge in bonuses

Saunders and this was a toss up, both were very good. I would have given the edge to Saunders being that his opponent has been fighting a long time and had never been KO'd

yeah it was definitely a toss up. i would've gone with Saunders because it was a bit more violent. gotta remember though Cane was undefeated, so he too had never been KO'd

IMO, Lil Nog had the single best performance of any fighter on the card

Honestly I don't blame Kos for his dramatized reaction. Sure the knee didn't connect but it did drive his forearm into his eye. Fact of the matter is Johnson kneed a downed opponent and Kos had every right to make sure Johnson lost a point for it.

As for the eye poke, Johnson gets eye poked a lot. Repeatedy. I don't know if it's Johnsons style or what but I doubt fighters are intentionally poking him to get an edge.

I also don't agree that it got Kos out of a bad situation, acting or no acting the ref would have stood him up and given him a chance to recover because it appeared the knee went to the head.

For the rest of the fights, Lil Nog is legit, Saunders has some of the nastiest knees in the business, George has a good skill set but will never threaten a champioship, Amir still never ceases to amaze me.

Seriously, if you were in a club and Amir spilled a drink on you and swatted your girl on the ass you wouldn't think twice about stepping to him. Next thing you know he's breaking your arm.

Actually Destino, I went back and watched the fights again and I did find one round that was more dominant than Forrest/Tito's round 3, and that was the 3rd of Sadollah/Baroni.

However, after re-watching that fight and the main event, I have to disagree with you that round 3 of Ortiz/Griffin was "not even close to a 10-8."

Tito put up zero offense, only throwing a handful of punches at the end of the round, landing absolutely nothing. Also, his defense consisted of covering up his head for five minutes while Forrest landed consistent punches until the bell rang.

I'm not saying it should've been a 10-8 but it definitely could've been a 10-8 and I don't think there would be many qualms about it.

I also saw this on MMAJunkie and Dana talks about how he could've understood that round going 10-8 to Forrest:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16961/dana-white-shocked-by-ufc-106-judging-says-reform-out-of-his-hands.mma

The final round was clearly Griffin's, and the one-sided nature of the frame left a 10-8 score for the original winner of "The Ultimate Fighter" a real possibility. None of three judges felt inclined to do so, and each penciled in a 10-9 score for Griffin.

"I can understand Forrest getting a 10-8 in that last round," White said. "He dominated that round, and Tito hardly threw any punches that last round. But for anybody to call that fight 30-27, you're out of your mind."

But I do agree with you that (if this is the fight you were referring to) the Sadollah/Baroni round 3 was even more dominant.

Seems like a funny decision. 1 judge gave all three rounds to Griffin, and one gave 2 of them to Tito. I didn't see the fight, was it really that close that the judges could have such different views of it?

edit: although, look at the judge that scored 30-27 Griffin... "Lester Griffin," seems pretty fishy. :silly:

Edited by skinsfan_1215

i was almost certain Ben Saunders would get KO of the Night

Kos was a big baby and I'm tired of him. IMO he caught an early shot that scared him and almost tried to use that illegal knee by Johnson to get out of the rest of the fight.

1. He didn't get hit in that eye at all.

2. He wouldn't open it for the ref.

3. He wouldn't reply to the refs offers to bring in the doctor.

Also, I absolutely believe that when he poked Johnson in the eye, it was intentional. The slo-mo showed him extend his fingers after measuring the distance between his closed fist and Johnson's eye.

Then he calls out Hardy while dissing his own team mate. The guy is a straight-up douche if you ask me. I've never liked him, despite respecting his fighting prowess.

That was not the fight of the night. 2 eyepokes and a knee to the head of a downed opponent, long delays, then a sub of a blinded opponent? Come on. I call BS.