Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

yeah he went from one extreme to the next pretty damn quick

honestly, outside of Roy & Schaub (maybe Wren because he's only 23 or so), i dont see any of these HW's doing anything more than being on the unaired prelims of a fight night card in the future.

How many seasons of TUF have had HW's? Has there been a single successful HW yet? I know Rashad was technically a HW, but is a success at LHW (and had no business being a HW anywhere outside of TUF). Anyone?

Edited by herrmag

How many seasons of TUF have had HW's? Has there been a single successful HW yet? I know Rashad was technically a HW, but is a success LHW. Anyone?

2nd season, half the cast was HW's. that was the year Rashad won. the only fighters who have lasted from that batch of heavyweights were Rashad & Jardine, who both immediately dropped to 205

no other HW's from that season have stuck with the UFC

Edited by StillUnknown

Without a doubt, my favorite part of the TUF season was McSweeney getting ****y and throwing his chin out there and Nelson drilling him with one right up the middle.

It was not a great season, but that may have made it all worth it.

I hate to say it but I'm really starting to hate British fighters.

Here is the full card for Saturday's TUF finale:

MAIN CARD

• Roy Nelson vs. Brendan Schaub ("TUF 10" tournament final)
  • Matt Hamill vs. Jon Jones
  • Houston Alexander vs. Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson
  • Frankie Edgar vs. Matt Veach
  • Marcus Jones vs. Matt Mitrione

PRELIMINARY CARD

• James McSweeney vs. Darrill Schoonover
  • Jon Madsen vs. Justin Wren
  • Brian Stann vs. Rodney Wallace
  • Dennis Hallman vs. John Howard
  • Mark Bocek vs. Joe Brammer

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17066/the-ultimate-fighter-10-finale-lineup-set-nelson-vs-schaub-lead-five-fight-main-card.mma

And, by the way, I think this season leads previous ones in something at least. Nicknames that will stick, whether the fighters want them to or not. Big Baby, Meathead and of course....Titties.

Overall that's going to be an entertaining main card. I'm actually pretty excited about it, especially the Hamill/Jones bout, although it could be a boring-ass wrestling match.

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2009-12-03

Looks like Renzo's going to be fighting in the UFC...he's old now but a fight with Matt Hughes at this point in their careers would be entertaining IMO.

And lol to the Melvin Manhoef, Tyson comparison below:

According to a Portuguese interview translated by the United Nations BloodyElbow.com community members, Renzo Gracie has signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, the promotion his cousin Royce lifted -- then left -- nearly 15 years ago. Renzo, 42, is expected to face Matt Hughes, possibly as soon as April 10. He’ll become only the third Gracie to fight in the organization following Royce and heavyweight Rolles, who makes his debut in February.

No debate whatsoever: Renzo is the single best Gracie to adapt his art for mixed-style competition. He’s defeated five former UFC champions -- two of them heavyweights. 42 is the wrong age to make a run at it, but his time in the ring will be entertaining while it lasts.

Strikeforce’s signing of Melvin Manhoef couldn’t be more dissimilar. Gracie has an obvious ground reputation; Manhoef is easily tied up there, but his striking is an indication of what would’ve happened had you shot up a 1988-era Tyson with PCP. A Manhoef/Cung Le fight would be real Greek mythology stuff. Just don’t give Manhoef Matt Lindland before then.

Did anyone else notice how Marcus talked endlessly about how much he loves this sport and how dedicated he is to becoming a contender, then he gets GnPed by Schaub and the first things out of his mouth are about how it's time to hang up the gloves because he doesn't think his wife should have to see any more of this? I have to wonder about a guy so easily discouraged. All the tools in the box but very little heart and desire.

He doesn't have all the tools. The guy has a glass chin. He can beat just about anyone... as long as he doesn't get hit. Damn shame too because he takes down pretty much everyone effortlessly and has long enough arms/torso to land bombs from inside the guard without leaning forward. If that dude had a chin I think he'd be a very good heavyweight. I think the fact that he doesn't have a chin is what rattles his confidence so quickly. We can talk about heart all you want but he knows what we know... he can't take a punch.

I wonder if the career as a football player weakened his chin? All those hits to the head...

Edited by Destino

I hate to say it but I'm really starting to hate British fighters.

Yeah, I was thinking that last night, but then there are guys like Ross Pearson and Andre Winner that are seemingly pretty good guys.

I believe someone on MMA Jumkie referred to McSweeney as a "bigger, dumber Michael Bisping." Sounds about right. He is pretty similar in his fighting skills as well IMO.

I wonder if the career as a football player weakened his chin? All those hits to the head...

I was going to say that earlier...it certainly can't help. And talking about his mental state earlier, being an NFL player for a handful of years normally does not help with mental stability.

Kimbo turned down his second chance to fight. lol
Yeah, that really surprised me. All because he didn't want to get a cortisone shot or Synvisc series in his stupid knee. That's ABSURD. Obviously he's just scared to fight. I've always thought the dude sucked, but what little respect I had for him came from his willingness to always take a fight. Guess that's gone now. :ciao:

Yeah, I was thinking that last night, but then there are guys like Ross Pearson and Andre Winner that are seemingly pretty good guys.

I believe someone on MMA Jumkie referred to McSweeney as a "bigger, dumber Michael Bisping." Sounds about right. He is pretty similar in his fighting skills as well IMO.

Yeah I actually do like Pearson and Winner...I guess it's just McSweeney/Bisping/Hardy that get on my nerves.

Pretty funny too, I just looked at McSweeney's record and he's 3-4.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17078/quinton-jackson-im-returning-to-the-ufc.mma

Quinton Jackson is returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship – to shut up Rashad Evans and UFC president Dana White.

In a post on his official Web site apparently penned by the fighter, Jackson stated he's returning to the organization to finish out his UFC contract, though he gave no timetable for his potential return.

In a September entry on the same Web site, Jackson stated he was "done fighting" and finished with the UFC.

While discussing the decision-making in the earlier post, Jackson outlined a series of events that began with his signing with the UFC, carried on until his recent decision to play B.A. Baracus in a feature version of "The A-Team," and ended with a decision to walk away from MMA.

Jackson recently coached opposite Evans on the 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter." Team Rashad advanced seven of eight fighters past the first round, and both finalists came from his team. Evans came across as the mature, team-driven coach while Jackson was often portrayed is immature and aloof.

"I've noticed that the UFC and 'TUF' have some fans brainwashed or something," Jackson wrote. "They still haven't realized yet that the TV show is just a TV show. I did my job by entertaining people, and if you ever paid any attention to me, that's what I'm known for doing."

White made no secret of his disdain over Jackson's decision to take "The A-Team" gig and hold up what was supposed to be a post-"TUF" coach vs. coach fight with Evans at UFC 107. The event, which now features a headliner of lightweight champion B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, was booked in Jackson's hometown of Memphis, Tenn., and takes place next week without Jackson.

"I wanted to let my fans know that I'm going to come back to the UFC [to] finish my contract – not because the haters are talking [expletive] about me being scared of Rashad ... or anybody else. I'm coming back for my fans and to shut Rashad's mouth up and shut Dana's mouth up. Then after that I'm going back to doing movies, and I might do a boxing match once a year just to stay in shape."

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last month, White predicted such a return.

"I'm sure we will," White said bluntly when asked if he expected to see Jackson back in the octagon. "Rampage is under contract with us, and this is where he makes his money."

Jackson (30-7 MMA, 5-1 UFC), a former UFC light heavyweight champion, won his belt from Chuck Liddell but eventually lost it to Forrest Griffin. Among much fanfare, the PRIDE veteran joined the UFC in 2007.

rampage sounds like he needs a hug

Edited by StillUnknown

I'll be rooting for Rampage... Rashad is ****y douchebag. I hope he gets his lights put out again.

I actually don't think Rashad is a ****y douchebag. He was a hard-working coach who cared for his team, he was able to take all rampage's pranks in stride, and he has come a long way as a personality in the UFC. I just don't want to see Rampage go away. He's too good a character and too much of an MMA legend for me to root against in this matchup.

I actually don't think Rashad is a ****y douchebag. He was a hard-working coach who cared for his team, he was able to take all rampage's pranks in stride, and he has come a long way as a personality in the UFC. I just don't want to see Rampage go away. He's too good a character and too much of an MMA legend for me to root against in this matchup.

Sure is we wipe out the history and start tracking it at the start of the Ultimate fighter. Otherwise you have a fighter that grabs his junk in the ring, trash talks everyone, and generally shows no respect for opponents. But yeah... other than that, he was a good coach (that made fun of his own fighters, and rooted against big country in the semi-final)

The best moments in ego deflation have been Evans and Bisping getting knocked out.

Sure is we wipe out the history and start tracking it at the start of the Ultimate fighter. Otherwise you have a fighter that grabs his junk in the ring, trash talks everyone, and generally shows no respect for opponents. But yeah... other than that, he was a good coach (that made fun of his own fighters, and rooted against big country in the semi-final)

The best moments in ego deflation have been Evans and Bisping getting knocked out.

rampage took a monster truck on a high speed chase

rampage accused his fighters of quitting on him

rashad wasn't so much rooting against Big Country as he was rooting for McSweeney because he trains at Jackson (same deal with Schaub)

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm glad he's coming back to finish up his business but honestly I'm not sure who to pull for. I went into TUF pulling for Rampage because I'm an old-school Pride guy but Rashad definitely outclassed him and outcoached him on the show.

Hard to say who I'm pulling for come fight night. Could be Rashad surprisingly.

Edited by #98QBKiller

rampage accused his fighters of quitting on him

Rampage also quit on his fighters. Most of them had the tools to beat Team Rashad but none of them were properly prepared or properly supported and by the midway point of the season they were all heartless and confused. He ruined them.

I have to admit that 2 fighters I could not stand were Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans because they are both unbearable when they are in the octagon. I'm speaking about personality only. However, both of those guys showed a ton of heart and grace as coaches. Both of them went all out for their fighters and both of them taught their fighters about hard work, teamwork and winning attitudes.

Having said that, it's very hard for me to root for either guy when they step in the cage. Go Rampage! (Assuming he follows thru with his return.)

Having said that, it's very hard for me to root for either guy when they step in the cage.

this is about where i'm at as well. i've never been a fan of rashad, although i dont quite understand the level of hate he gets.

i used to be a huge rampage fan, but i've found myself rooting against him in his past few fights.

at this point i'd settle for one of these:

14azv4y.gif