Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

UFC 128: Present Meets Future

Mirko CroCop vs. Brendan Schaub: I'm not sold on Schaub, but I have no faith left in CroCop. Prove me wrong, Mirko, prove me wrong.

Schaub by (T)KO, Round 2

Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus: This time when Rogan mentions that Shalorus has "world class wrestling" it will actually be true. He'll have the edge in that area only. Shalorus has some heavy hands that could end Miller's night early, but he has almost 0 technique when throwing them. Miller is more well rounded by far, and as long as he can prevent Shalorus from repeatedly take him down, he should be able to work a decision.

Miller by Unanimous Decision

Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller: Miller doesn't beat top 10 fighters, Marquardt doesn't lose to fighters not in the top 10.

Marquardt by Unanimous Decision

Urijah Asschin vs. Eddie Wineland: Apparently if Faber wins, he and Cruz will coach the next season of TUF. Eddie may be able to give Urijah some competition standing, but I expect Urijah to basically outwork Wineland in all areas. I see a scramble happening sometime, and Urijah locks in a guillotine for the submission.

Faber by Submission, Round 1

Shogun Rua vs. Jon Jones: So very hard to pick a winner, honestly, I will only be surprised if this fight goes the distance. Standing, the edge goes to Shogun as he's more technical and has more power on his strikes. Jones' reach should help to keep him out of Shogun's power range, but I still think he'll be outstruck comfortably if it stays standing for any length of time.

The clinch is another area where each fighter has their own distinct advantages. Shogun will obviously look to bring hellfire with knees and elbows from the clinch, but doing so would put him in danger of being ragdolled to his back by Jones. Since Shogun has never showed a good takedown defense, I think it would be wise for him to avoid the clinch, just so he stays away from what will be one of Jones' biggest strength in the fight.

If it hits the ground, which it should given the reputations of the fighters, it comes down to Jones' control from top position vs. Shogun ability to sweep. Here I think is where Jones' size advantage will come into play the most. Shogun showed he could go 5 rounds in a mostly standup fight against Machida. I'm thinking that if Jones takes him down a couple of times and is able to apply some his deadly ground n pound, it will fatigue Shogun.

Ultimately, I'm picking the fighter who should be able to control where the fight takes place. I think Jones' size and preparation at Jackson's will be enough to stifle Shogun's attempts to sweep or submit him. When they're on the ground, I think its just a matter of time before Bones lands a hellbow & follow up strikes that gives him the victory.

Jones by (T)KO, Round 3

Edited by StillUnknown

The places I've been talking MMA online have been ticking me off recently so I'm thinking of hanging around this thread, seems like a good spot for discussion. :cool:

Anyone catch MMA Live on HDNet? They ran a special report tonight on the Strikeforce acquisition, was just great reporting on location with lengthy interviews of Dana White and Scott Coker as well as fighter reactions. Worth catching the replay or finding it online.

Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani:

I'm really looking forward to this fight. Barboza is one of my favorite up and coming fighters. His standup might be the most brutal in the LW division and his leg kicks are a thing of beauty. Njokuani is a striker too but his game isn't at the level that Barboza's is. This should be a short but entertaining bout and a good showing here could propel Barboza up the charts in the UFC.

Barboza by KO Round 1

Mirko CroCop vs. Brendan Schaub: As you all know, I'm a blatant Pride nuthugger but I don't think Cro Cop has much left in the tank. I did see one of his recent training videos and he looks in better shape than he has in a while. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to help him at this point.

Schaub (T)KO, Round 3

Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller:Not super excited with this fight but I think Marquardt is definitely the better fighter and he gets back on track here.

Marquardt by UD

Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus:Both of these guys have a good wrestling pedigree. Shalrous has KO power but nothing that Miller hasn't seen before. I think this fight turns into a grappling match where Miller has the edge and can pull off a nice sub.

Miller by sub (RNC) Round 2

Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland:I like Faber as a fighter so I'll be pulling for him and I think Bantamweight is the right weight class for him to fight at. I don't like the idea of him getting a title shot over Brian Bowles though. Regardless, I think Faber is better in all facets of the game than Wineland and Wineland has been prone to submissions in the past.

Faber by Submission, Round 1

Shogun vs. Jon Jones:This is one of the harder fights I've tried to pick in a while. Jon Jones is such a wildcard at this point, I don't feel like I can accurately break this fight down. But here's my attempt.

The standup advantage obviously goes to Shogun. His power and technique are second to none at 205. Jones' reach will help him keep shogun at bay but Shogun has shown in the past that he's good at breaking to the inside and unloading. I see Jones using his reach to keep the distance early but I think Shogun will start to connect and force Jones to take Shogun down earlier than he anticipates. IMO, this is where Jones has the advantage.

He has an awesome top game and although Shogun is no slouch on the ground, it will be interesting to see how he handles Jones' size and top control. Jones can really control the fight here but if he makes any dumb mistakes (like his habit of posting his hand on the mat) he'll put himself in danger of getting submitted.

Shogun has to be aware of the takedown and I'm sure he's trained his sprawls leading up to this fight. I just don't think he'll be able to stop the takedown. Jones has success with sweeps and throws from the clinch but Shogun's knees are a big danger here. I think Jones is going to try and wear down Shogun and shoot from the outside.

Again, I'm a Pride nuthugger so I'll be pulling for Shogun, but I actually think Jones is going to use his top game to pull out a sub.

Jones by submission Round 3

Is there still a boxing thread in tailgate? Vitali is defending his HW title on EPIX network right now.....just started.....

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

OMFG...more bad luck for boxing...Cuban dude rolls his ankle at the end of round 1......fight over. Wow.

Is there still a boxing thread in tailgate? Vitali is defending his HW title on EPIX network right now.....just started.....

---------- Post added March-19th-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

OMFG...more bad luck for boxing...Cuban dude rolls his ankle at the end of round 1......fight over. Wow.

the boxing thread is buried somewhere in the tailgate, it comes up when you search for it.

I watched that "fight", HW boxing has never been this bad for this long before

the boxing fan in me is sad :(

lol

on a sidenote, Bellator is on mtv2 at 7pm(est) tonight

Edited by StillUnknown

EDIT: Oops double post!

Well...UFC Time....leaving for the sportsbar in about an hour.....are the prelims airing on tv for tonight's card?

8pm for facebook

9pm for spike tv prelims

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Hours-before-biggest-fight-of-his-life-Jones-an;_ylt=AlSL6gul5zMBc_6tNPVvcFc9Eo14?urn=mma-wp309

Eat your heart out Bob Reilly. Mixed martial arts is a lot more than a money grab viewed by savage fans; it can be a real life saver. Today in the streets of Paterson, N.J., Jon Jones and his trainers applied their gym techniques when they spotted a robber, chased him down and subdued him Saturday afternoon.

Jones, who is fighting Saturday evening in Newark for the UFC light heavyweight title, was on his way to meditate in front of a waterfall in northern New Jersey. Jones, along with Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn, spotted the suspect breaking into a car and stealing some objects. The group shouted at the robber and he took off.

Jones, Jackson and Winklejohn pursued him on foot. Jones, the youngest of the group at 23, caught up to the robber and tripped him to the ground. Jackson told Yahoo!'s Kevin Iole that Jones "foot swept" the suspect.

With the robber on the ground, Jackson began yelling to his fighter to stay away. Once the trainers caught up to robber, he tried to get up. Jackson said he "double-legged" him and jumped on top applying an arm bar. Winklejohn went for the other arm to make sure he didn't have a weapon. In the scuffle, the robber was bloodied. The trainers said some blood got on their pants. Shortly afterward, the police arrived to arrest the suspect.

Edited by StillUnknown