Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

:ols:

The Bengals have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/07/nfls-chad-johnson-says-forget-gsp-hes-the-superfight-for-ande/

NFL's Chad Johnson Says Forget GSP, He's the Superfight for Anderson Silva

3/07/2011 11:55 AM ET By Mike Chiappetta

With the NFL moving towards a potential lockout, many players are busy scheming up alternative ways to make money. Times are tough in the 2011 economy, but there's got to be a better option than that of Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson, who continues to suggest he'd be willing to face UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva in the octagon.

Now, before we get too serious about the admittedly unlikely proposition, let's keep in mind that Johnson routinely name-dropping the man who is arguably the sport's pound-for-pound king isn't exactly a bad thing.

Johnson spoke about Silva again on Sunday, while in Orlando for an ESPN event.

"I'll whoop his ass," Johnson said. "I'll whip Anderson's ass."

Johnson -- formerly known as Chad Ochocinco -- has tweeted about fighting Silva at least nine times over the past year or so, including a recent tweet to UFC president Dana White, which read, "Dana tell Anderson once the CBA expires tomorrow I'm free to beat his ***** any time any where!! Set it up."

White responded back, "If that CBA doesn't get resolved, @ochocino ur (sic) gonna have to fight anderson! I'm ready whenever u (sic) are. Let's do it!"

In a Sunday interview, Johnson was asked about what would happen if he got hurt, since he won't be covered under the NFL health insurance policy during a lockout.

"I won't [get hurt], because I'm not going to go to the ground," Johnson said. "I know if I fight Anderson, I have to fight him standing up. I'm quicker than him. I know he's very good at what he does, but don't be fooled. I'm one of the elite athletes in the NFL. I'm very fast, very quick. I just can't go to the ground. And I can't be within his reach, either. So maybe I'll just run around the ring the whole damn time."

With his last words, Johnson finally broke character with a laugh. But when asked if he would actually consider that fight if offered, Johnson left the door open, showing that maybe he's half-serious about the wild proposition.

"Man, I'm crazy enough to get in there, too," he said. "That's the funny thing. I'm crazy enough to get in there."

The 32-year-old Johnson has reportedly trained boxing for a few years, but makes big money as a big play receiver for the Bengals. The six-time Pro Bowl selection is in the top 10 among active players for career receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. He is scheduled to make $6 million in salary for the 2011 season.

Silva is coming off a first-round knockout of Vitor Belfort at UFC 126 in February. He is expected to next face Georges St. Pierre in a superfight if GSP can get past Jake Shields in April.

"I know if I fight Anderson, I have to fight him standing up. I'm quicker than him. I know he's very good at what he does, but don't be fooled. I'm one of the elite athletes in the NFL. I'm very fast, very quick. I just can't go to the ground. And I can't be within his reach, either. So maybe I'll just run around the ring the whole damn time."

Damian Maia & Thales Leites each tried that before. Didn't work then, probably won't work now. I'd like to see that fight, even thought there is not a snowflakes chance in hell it happens,for probably the same reason everyone else wants, just to see Chad get KTFO,

It's hilarious that he thinks his best chance against Anderson is standing up. Even with zero BJJ experience, he's still probably safer on the ground than he is standing with Anderson.

He's not safe in the same building with the Spider. :)

One thing I'll respond to from your post, Destino (because I'm sick of discussing judging), is that I don't think judges should take fighters unique skill-sets in to account during a fight. In other words, it should be Fighter A vs. Fighter B, all things on an even keel. Whether BJ is a jiu jitsu champion or not shouldn't be taken in to account when judging a fight where he ends up on the mat.

It's an approach where BJ gets penalized more because he's expected to have great jiu jitsu. So if his guard is passed it's more significant in a judges eyes than, say, if Melvin Manhoef's guard is passed. BJ worked all those years to become great at something, only to be penalized more than a fighter who hasn't put the same amount of work in to that area of his game.

When judging a fight, I believe there should be no secondary thought of what certain fighters have accomplished what so ever. Former UFC champion, former kickboxing champion, former whatever, it doesn't matter. The fight is here and now, and that's all they should be focusing on - with tunnel vision.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Someone posted this interview on another forum:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/12-Questions-for-Jon-Jones-21220

Sherdog.com: What career track were you on before MMA?

Jones: I was studying criminal justice and I wanted to be a law enforcement officer in my hometown. Endicott, New York, man. I thought it would be so cool to be a hometown police officer.

I've always been a person who tries to do the right thing in life, for the most part. I'm no angel, but I was always the kid who snitched on the kids who had pot. I don't want to offend the pot smokers out there, but I was kind of just a snitch. I was just down for people doing the right thing. My parents kind of raised me to be a good guy. I've always been down for the good side, I guess.

:ols:

I hope he never befriends Nick Diaz.

According to Fighters Only, Emelianenko is actually reconsidering life as a heavyweight.

Representatives from M-1 Global informed the UK-based magazine over the weekend that Strikeforce has offered them a title bout with the promotion’s newly-crowned light heavyweight champ Dan Henderson later this year and that Fedor is strongly considering taking the fight and moving down to light heavyweight permanently.

http://www.cagepotato.com/fedor-considering-permanent-move-down-to-light-heavyweight-may-challenge-hendo/

LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS -- In a transaction that will forever change the mixed martial arts world, Zuffa, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has purchased its top competitor, Strikeforce.

UFC president Dana White spoke to MMA Fighting exclusively about why the historic purchase happened, the terms of the deal, what this means for the Strikeforce brand and fighters and much more.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/12/zuffa-purchases-strikeforce/

:wtf: :excited:

Edited by Patrick86L