Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I only hate him because he's wasted so much of my money on easy victories. I started hating him after the Maia fight because he was being a douche. Then the Sonnen fight ticked me off because I didn't see it live and it was the only fight where Silva was even threatened. The Belfort fight solidified my hate because I spent the $50 thinking I'd see a brawl and got punked!

But the main point I want to make is that I wasn't being angry at you. I thought you'd see the humor in my rant. Definitely did NOT mean to come off like that. It was pure mock rage. :)

It's all good Chachie. :cheers:

I was going to respond yesterday but I thought I was banned from ES :silly: Turns out they were just working on it.

BTW, I do agree about the money thing. I was kind of pissed after the Maia fight too and I was definitely expecting a better fight w/ Vitor.

UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said on a conference call announcing the purchase Monday that Strikeforce will implement all of the unified rules of mixed martial arts that the UFC uses, and that includes allowing elbows to the head on the ground. The banning of those elbows has been the one significant difference between Strikeforce fights and UFC fights, and that difference will go away.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/14/elbows-to-the-head-on-the-ground-now-allowed-in-strikeforce/

This was announced earlier in the week but I didn't see it posted on here.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/17/2055707/ufc-132-fight-card-bj-penn-vs-jon-fitch-2-and-evan-dunham-vs-george

B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch has just fought to a draw on UFC 127, and it looks like we are going to see a definite conclusion soon. The UFC has announced that the pair is set for an immediate rematch on UFC 132, happening on July 2nd. From UFC.com:

Reports of The Prodigy's retirement have been greatly exaggerated: Dana White confirmed today that BJ Penn and Jon Fitch have verbally agreed to rematch at UFC 132.

The welterweights first met in the main event of UFC 127, a number-one contender bout that ended in a draw. "Both fighters look to keep it out of the hands of the judges this time," said White.

Also announced for the card, Evan Dunham vs. George Sotiropoulos, two exciting lightweights that are both looking to get back on track for contention.

Simply looking who bags the W's is fine, and those people have their opinions, but recently GSP has just shut down any hope in his division. There's never a piece of **** performance or a miracle finish, he absolutely decimates his opposition. After the fight, you get to thinking, and realize that his opponent never had a chance. Not Alves, not Fitch, not Penn, not anyone. Virtually all of the ass-whooping in UFC Welterweight title fights in the past 2 years has been done by GSP, and not his opposition.

I've been known to say this at the bar many times: I'd rather fight The Spider than GSP. With the spider you're either going to get finished fast (in my case that would be a certainty) or maybe have a decent chance (like those fighters mentioned earlier that won rounds). With GSP you are going to get beat (literally) for 5 five minute rounds and end up exhausted, humiliated, busted up, and needing an MRI because you just took so much damage past the point of exhaustion.

What he does to people is just plain cruel. :ols:

Edited by Destino

I watched MMA Live on ESPN and Rashad Evans is an analyst and they had Jon Jones on. Rashad asked him questions and it was pretty weird and awkward at first (Rashad having the next title shot), but it was actually entertaining.

Then their Sports Science segment did Shogun's power. He had over 1100 pounds of force in his fists and they went I think 24mph. His kick had the highest single strike they have ever measured with over 2700 pounds of force and going 39mph. That's a powerful kick...

Edited by styx491

If Bones Jones upsets Shogun, and Anderson Silva beats GSP, I wouldn't mind seeing Silva movie up to take on Bones Jones. Hell, even Anderson Silva vs. Shogun is an attractive matchup to me.

Same here. At this point Anderson Silva and GSP have cleaned out their weight divisions so well that the UFC needs to start thinking about shuffling them around into other weight classes for super fights. The acquisition of Strikeforce adds a few more names to their weight classes but how long before they can start actually merging the two groups of fighters?

Super fights between The Spider and light heavyweights make more sense than him fighting GSP. Just think of how many interesting fights there are:

- Rampage

- Shogun

- Jon Jones

- Rashad Evans

Those are all better fighters than the guys he's been fighting.

You're underrating the level of Anderson's competition. They are every bit as good as the LHW division, he's just that much better that it makes the division look weak. I still would like to see him fight Jacare Souza or Rousimar Palhares before he moves on. He hasn't really fought a submission grappler who looks for the takedown in the form of a strong double leg or throw instead of pulling guard or looking for a trip (Maia, Leites). I think that's the blue print to TRY and beat Silva.

Silva vs. Shogun would be a cool fight between the best of the old guard. I see it as being a better matchup than Silva-GSP would be.
Super fights between The Spider and light heavyweights make more sense than him fighting GSP. Just think of how many interesting fights there are:

- Rampage

- Shogun

- Jon Jones

- Rashad Evans

Those are all better fighters than the guys he's been fighting.

Absolutely agree.

I would personally like to eventually see Anderson Silva vs Gegard Mousasi at 205. They both have excellent striking and both have a weakness in wrestling. Anderson has the better BJJ but Mousasi is no slouch on the ground either. I can't see Silva taking down Mousasi so it would more than likely stay on the feet which I think Mousasi could give him a run for his money.

You're underrating the level of Anderson's competition. They are every bit as good as the LHW division, he's just that much better that it makes the division look weak. I still would like to see him fight Jacare Souza or Rousimar Palhares before he moves on. He hasn't really fought a submission grappler who looks for the takedown in the form of a strong double leg or throw instead of pulling guard or looking for a trip (Maia, Leites). I think that's the blue print to TRY and beat Silva.

he trains with Jacare so that fight wouldn't happen. Before Paul Harris can get to Silva, he would have to fight some contenders with better wrestling than him. His striking is still rudimentary at best, so i'm not sure he'll ever get to challenge Anderson.

on a side note, I'm almost convinced Palhares' opponents should be allowed to grease their legs. I get nervous for his opponents when he grabs a leg or ankle lol

Edited by StillUnknown

on a side note, I'm almost convinced Palhares' opponents should be allowed to grease their legs. I get nervous for his opponents when he grabs a leg or ankle lol

Seriously....do you really want this guy locking a heel hook on you?

f5291b81.gif

I can't find the vid of his fight against Dave Branch but here's a pic of the finish:

d497b661.jpg

:handicap: