Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Seems that north American wrestling is starting to heavily push back against the Brazilian dominance. Cain, Jon Jones, Frankie Edgar, and of course GSP are all fighters that have built on a wrestling foundation to great success. I find the shifting undercurrents swirling beneath the "MMA" heading fascinating.

if he lands that against Brock, JDS will eternally be my favorite fighter :ols:

I like how he jumps off the pole and not the actual cage like Pettis did, because JDS would probably go right through the cage if he tried jumping off it :ols: It would be ridiculous if Cain catches his leg and then slams him to the ground. Those heavyweights can sure fly

pretty cool story:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201103/one-legged-wrestler-wins-ncaa-title

The most memorable performance in March may belong to a basketball player such as BYU's Jimmer Fredette, but the most important performance this month goes to Arizona State's Anthony Robles.

The Sun Devils wrestler was born without a right leg, and yet he still won the 125-lb. class Saturday at the Division I NCAA championships in Philadelphia. After clinching the title against Iowa junior Matt McDonough, Robles received a standing ovation and then stood on the winner's podium with his crutches, which sat and waited for him by the mat while he wrestled.

He finished 36-0 as a senior.

Robles' story is even more remarkable considering how difficult it was for him to even get a scholarship. He didn't start wrestling until age 14, and his weight class, 125-lbs., is the lightest in the NCAA. Because of his missing leg, he had to compete at weights even lower than that, and ASU offered a partial scholarship to the Mesa native only after he won a national title as a senior.

Now Robles is going out on top of the wrestling world, and he plans to hang up his singlet and become a motivational speaker.

To be successful at that, he doesn't have to say a word.

Taking nothing away from Bones Jones, that was an amazing performance, one for the books, at 23 to dominate a title fight like that, however is it me or did Shogun not look right from the very beginning?

I think Bones' flying knee in the first five seconds landed enough to throw Shogun completely off his gameplan.

Seems that north American wrestling is starting to heavily push back against the Brazilian dominance. Cain, Jon Jones, Frankie Edgar, and of course GSP are all fighters that have built on a wrestling foundation to great success. I find the shifting undercurrents swirling beneath the "MMA" heading fascinating.

Yep. You could make a case that the last decade has been heading in that direction. The thing is, guys with a strong wrestling base, are simply bring in BJJ guys to learn how to defend submission attempts. They aren't worried so much in being on offense from a BJJ standpoint, they just want to learn how to avoid being subbed on the ground, especially being in the top position.

15-20 years ago, a BJJ being on the bottom position was really no big deal, because as soon as the fight hit the ground, BJJ guys always had the upperhand.

The sport is now changing so that no matter what your background discipline is being on the bottom spot is bad. Just look at how much tougher it is now a days for a BJJ to try and go from full guard to try and slip his legs up over the guy's head/neck. Wrestlers are specifically training how to rise up and make sure their legs never make it up that far.

Also the wrestlers tend to be stronger overall, so it is a touch matchup to keep with that pace having a bigger stronger dude on top of you.

If Machida can get back in position for a title shot, I think that it is an intriguing fight for Bones. Machida works well going backwards, is known for being tough to hit. If Jones tries some of those flying maneuvers against him, I could see Machida avoiding some of them and countering with hard shots to the body, which could weaken Bones throughout the fight. I'd still give the edge to Bones because, well....I just witnessed greatness last night....but I still think it is a good matchup.

Also, a motivated and in shape Rampage could probably match his strength. Of course reports are Rampage is walking around at 240 these days....so yeah umm....probably not.

---------- Post added March-20th-2011 at 10:48 PM ----------

How do current Strikeforce contracts now work for guys like Overeem, Moussassi, King Mo, Mayhem Miller, Aoki, Melendez and the various other guys who often go overseas to Japan to fight in DREAM or K1 and the Tourneys/Grand Prix?

Will they be allowed to still do that until their Strikeforce contract runs out, or will Dana try to "suggest" to them that they better not do those fights anymore?

Edited by NoCalMike

Yep. You could make a case that the last decade has been heading in that direction. The thing is, guys with a strong wrestling base, are simply bring in BJJ guys to learn how to defend submission attempts. They aren't worried so much in being on offense from a BJJ standpoint, they just want to learn how to avoid being subbed on the ground, especially being in the top position.

15-20 years ago, a BJJ being on the bottom position was really no big deal, because as soon as the fight hit the ground, BJJ guys always had the upperhand.

The sport is now changing so that no matter what your background discipline is being on the bottom spot is bad. Just look at how much tougher it is now a days for a BJJ to try and go from full guard to try and slip his legs up over the guy's head/neck. Wrestlers are specifically training how to rise up and make sure their legs never make it up that far.

Also the wrestlers tend to be stronger overall, so it is a touch matchup to keep with that pace having a bigger stronger dude on top of you.

The North American unified MMA rules have a lot to do with the guard not being as strong of a position in MMA.

The fact that you can't knee or kick the head of a downed opponent favors wrestlers and other top position players. The guy on top can reign down elbows but the guy on bottom can't use knees or upkicks to defend himself which limits the effectiveness of the guard. It also favors wrestlers because they can shoot singles and doubles without fear of being caught in the head by knees.

The guard has always been very effective in Japanese MMA. Look at how many fights Nog won by triangle and armbar during Pride's heyday (even against good wrestlers like Hendo and Mark Coleman, and against giants like Bob Sapp). And look at the success Aoki has pulling guard and working off of his back in Japan now.

Also, the guy on bottom can't throw 12-6 elbows (like the ones Jones got DQ'd for against Hamill). If you watch some of the old school Brazilian Vale Tudo fights, guys that shoot takedowns and don't start working immediately get busted up by elbows from the bottom.

I can understand not allowing soccer kicks and stomps (although I prefer allowing both along with elbows) but the unified rules should be rewritten to allow the use of upkicks and knees from the back. It would open up the bottom game and speed up the action on the ground, making the fight more interesting and more representative of a real life situation.

I would also prefer to see the rules not give points for takedowns where the guy that's been taken down pops right back up and also give more credit to submissions attempts that threaten to end the fight.

I agree with the above, but it also rests on the shoulders of Brazilian and Japanese camps to figure out that they need to dedicate themselves to, at the very least, learning takedown defense in the same manner that American camps have taught submission defense.

I agree with the above, but it also rests on the shoulders of Brazilian and Japanese camps to figure out that they need to dedicate themselves to, at the very least, learning takedown defense in the same manner that American camps have taught submission defense.

I agree to a certain extent but it seems like takedown defense in itself is overlooked a lot by judges. A fighter can stuff 4/5 takedown attempts, but if he gets taken down on the 5th attempt, it is looked at as something that can steal a round.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 03:15 AM ----------

I agree to a certain extent but it seems like takedown defense in itself is overlooked a lot by judges. A fighter can stuff 4/5 takedown attempts, but if he gets taken down on the 5th attempt, it is looked at as something that can steal a round.

Nick's wrestling sucks. He's either going to have to sweep/trip Kelly up and go to work on the ground or he'll probably get KO'd at some point.

Yeah I basically meant get the fight to the mat however he can. Not only does his wrestling suck but his boxing defense isn't top notch. I really don't like this matchup for Diaz.

The fact that you can't knee or kick the head of a downed opponent favors wrestlers and other top position players. The guy on top can reign down elbows but the guy on bottom can't use knees or upkicks to defend himself which limits the effectiveness of the guard. It also favors wrestlers because they can shoot singles and doubles without fear of being caught in the head by knees.

Help me out here, I see upkicks in the UFC all the time but you seem to be saying they are illegal. How would knees from the bottom really make a difference? I watched pride and never saw knees from the bottom make any difference though I might have missed a few fights where it did.

Also, the guy on bottom can't throw 12-6 elbows (like the ones Jones got DQ'd for against Hamill). If you watch some of the old school Brazilian Vale Tudo fights, guys that shoot takedowns and don't start working immediately get busted up by elbows from the bottom.

You've lost me again. I see the guys on the bottom throw elbows ALL THE TIME. Spider Silva defeated Lutter with elbow strikes to the top of Lutters head while holding him in a loose triangle from the bottom. Also Jon Jones didn't get a DQ for elbow strikes from the bottom, he got DQ'd for illegal downward elbows from the top position.

you must really be high on Barboza if he replaced Leben in your sig :ols:

Haven't you noticed my mancrush on him over the last few months? :silly:

I really don't like this matchup for Diaz.

Me either :(

Leben is still in my sig because...well, I'm lazy. And that I am usually on here at work and sigs do not show up.

Lol, I'd say 90 percent of my reason for not changing mine was laziness too...plus that was an awesome triangle to finish an awesome fight. I like your sig too though, that was going into the 3rd round right? I just remember Leebs getting the crowd all pumped up.

Help me out here, I see upkicks in the UFC all the time but you seem to be saying they are illegal. How would knees from the bottom really make a difference? I watched pride and never saw knees from the bottom make any difference though I might have missed a few fights where it did.

If an opponent is on top of you in your guard and they have at least one knee touching the ground, they are considered a "downed opponent" meaning that upkicking and kneeing to the head is illegal, even from your back. If you remember the Bisping fight with Jorge Rivera, he caught Rivera with a knee to the head while Rivera had one knee down, doing that from your back while your opponent has one knee down counts as a foul too, which is stupid IMO.

Also Anderson Silva got DQ'd against Okami at Rumble on the Rock because he knocked him out with an upkick while he was in Anderson's guard:

In Pride that would've been a KO victory for Anderson. Mousasi KO'd Jacare with an upkick to win the MW title in Dream a few years ago because in Japan it's not illegal. Although, I can't remember if Jacare was standing or on one knee when it happened.

Being able to throw knees from the bottom threatens the guy shooting for the takedown. Under the unified rules, if a guy shoots for a single or double you can knee him in the head before his knee touches the ground. In Pride (and in Dream now) wrestlers couldn't just take a guy down over and over again and win the round that way because he had to worry about getting KO'd by a knee to the face. It made the fight more realistic and opened up the ground game.

You've lost me again. I see the guys on the bottom throw elbows ALL THE TIME. Spider Silva defeated Lutter with elbow strikes to the top of Lutters head while holding him in a loose triangle from the bottom. Also Jon Jones didn't get a DQ for elbow strikes from the bottom, he got DQ'd for illegal downward elbows from the top position.

You can't throw vertical elbows from the top or bottom position which is a dumb rule. You can only throw elbows laterally which is much more difficult when you're on the bottom and your opponent has your hips pinned to the mat. IMO, vertical elbows aren't any more dangerous than lateral elbows. And this is another rule that favors wrestlers and weakens the guard in MMA.

Edited by #98QBKiller