Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Time to talk UFC 128 which frankly I'm a little too excited to see. Jon Jones is one of my top three favorite fighters. The guy is just a athletic freak that seems to be built for MMA and the type of athlete I think Americans are used to seeing in their sports representing them. Something I think we'll see more of as MMA continues to overshadow boxing and steals their athletes via the continued expansion of MMA gyms into more areas of the country. Having said that I'm not confident he can beat Rua and I don't think he's fought anyone that is comparable to Shogun. Shogun is a striking MONSTER of which there just aren't many in the UFC. He's beaten a list of fighters that is almost unbelievable.

I want Jones to win and if he does it will be in the later rounds and much of the fight will take place on the ground. I don't think Rua has the cardio to fight off his back and still strike as effectively in the championship rounds.

What I think will happen though is Jones will get finished in the 2nd.

seems like the UFC is putting the full machine behind Jones. The 128 Countdown is tonight on Spike at 11pm(est), then on Thursday, Jones has his own 30min special program.

Jones' reach might give Shogun some issues standing, but I fully expect Shogun to have a comfortable advantage striking. Unfortunately for Shogun, I don't think this fight will be fought standing for very long. For all of Shogun's talents, his takedown defense is abysmal at best. I read on a website that his UFC opponents have converted 12 of 14 takedowns attempted against him

This fight will be decided by how well Jones handles Shogun's sweep attempts after Bones takes him down. Fortunately, by training at Jackson's, Jones has access to some jiu-jitsu super freaks (i.e. Braulio Estima) to get him prepared.

I'm still not sure who i'm picking to win this fight, but I will be shocked if it goes to a decision. Part of me feels this is still too much, too soon for Jones, Shogun is a completely different fighter stylistically than any Jones has faced so far. GSP & Penn both lost their first title shots around the same age of Jones, but then again Shogun won the Grand Prix at the same age

I gotta give this fight some more thought before I pick the winner (it doesn't help that I'm a huge fan of both fighters)

Edited by StillUnknown

I anticipate Jones trying to find the slightest opportunities to clinch up. Turn the fight in to a struggle against the fence, finding a big-time slam on the rather wrestling-free champion. Obviously, those elbows from top position are devastating, look for them...all while attacking Shogun's very iffy gas tank.

Jones' athleticism will only become more of a factor if Shogun starts to overheat. Take the edge off that Muay Thai as soon as you possibly can.

I think Jones has this.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think Shogun will win, but I am not convinced. Bones Jones is such a wildcard for any opponent at this point, because he seems to improve and pull out new tricks in every fight.

I like what I see from that girl in that video above. I think it is time for Strikeforce to go out and get some real competition for Cyborg. Ever since she won the title, it seems like all her fights have been with women from smaller weight division, just trying to add on some weight for the fight. There have been questions about how good she really is, and that most of her wins being because she is simply bigger and stronger than her opponents, while lacking the elite skills her camp claims she has. If you re-watch her fight with Gina Carano. Carano had her mounted, I believe twice, but seemingly was willing to give up the position for what reason, nobody knows, could be her own inexperience!?!

I think Shogun will win, but I am not convinced. Bones Jones is such a wildcard for any opponent at this point, because he seems to improve and pull out new tricks in every fight.

Yep, this is pretty much how I feel about it too. I'm leaning toward Shogun winning but you're right Jones is a wildcard right now and he could definitely pull this off. I'm going to have to wait until Saturday to make a final prediction.

Hey guys what time does the main event usually hit? I have a 9:30pm playoff hockey game, should be able to get to the bar to watch the fights at 11:30pm. The main event is usually after midnight right? I love Jones and don't want to miss this fight, also really want to see Faber fight. Also, are there any websites that you can watch a replay of the event later that night or the next day. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hey guys what time does the main event usually hit? I have a 9:30pm playoff hockey game, should be able to get to the bar to watch the fights at 11:30pm. The main event is usually after midnight right? I love Jones and don't want to miss this fight, also really want to see Faber fight. Also, are there any websites that you can watch a replay of the event later that night or the next day. Thanks for any help you can give me.

You might catch the main event at 11:30. The times vary. I'm in a worse situation than you... I have to go to a "party" at my sister-in-laws and need to escape in time to see the fight. Rather be at a hockey game lol.

My only fear is that Shogun comes out and just beats the living hell out of Bones, due to him not being ready for this type of competition yet, and it leaves a mental scar on his brain that he can't ever get over. He wouldn't be the first athlete that got pushed to the moon too soon (not his fault) and then kind of got put out there for "the good of the company" before they were ready and WHAM.......

In the big picture, Bones Jones losing SHOULDN'T mean much in the long term of his career, but with a fighter so young, and so much hype and building around him you can never truly tell how much of it has gone to their head, and this is regardless of what the personify in public.

However we the public have no idea what the negotiations where backstage or anything. I mean according to most sources, Rampage was offered the title shot first, but turned it down because it wasn't enough time to prepare for it, and then Bones is kind of put on the spot right after his match, I mean he just came off a big win, is live in front of a live crowd and in front of millions on PPV, what is he going to say right then and there "Wow....umm no thanks guys" It comes off as an exciting moment, no doubt, but it also seems like kind of a sly business-like way to try and force the fighter's hand. If in fact that was really the first time Bones heard about it. The fact that he trains with 'Shad makes me think he already knew something, or at least knew about the injury going into the fight.

Edited by NoCalMike

OMG, Helwani's face as he watches. Kill me, that is too funny.

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 12:54 PM ----------

My only fear is that Shogun comes out and just beats the living hell out of Bones, due to him not being ready for this type of competition yet, and it leaves a mental scar on his brain that he can't ever get over. He wouldn't be the first athlete that got pushed to the moon too soon (not his fault) and then kind of got put out there for "the good of the company" before they were ready and WHAM.......

In the big picture, Bones Jones losing SHOULDN'T mean much in the long term of his career, but with a fighter so young, and so much hype and building around him you can never truly tell how much of it has gone to their head, and this is regardless of what the personify in public.

However we the public have no idea what the negotiations where backstage or anything. I mean according to most sources, Rampage was offered the title shot first, but turned it down because it wasn't enough time to prepare for it, and then Bones is kind of put on the spot right after his match, I mean he just came off a big win, is live in front of a live crowd and in front of millions on PPV, what is he going to say right then and there "Wow....umm no thanks guys" It comes off as an exciting moment, no doubt, but it also seems like kind of a sly business-like way to try and force the fighter's hand. If in fact that was really the first time Bones heard about it. The fact that he trains with 'Shad makes me think he already knew something, or at least knew about the injury going into the fight.

Yeah, you don't want Shogun getting you hurt, guy is one of the best finishers ever. He's put together some seriously beautiful finishes. You're in deep **** if you're hurt against that guy. Anyone remember a fight where he got someone hurt and didn't finish?

A young guy like Bones, flashy, but perhaps raw in the technical aspect of striking. Yeah, he might do a spinning elbow or something, but how's his base kickboxing doing? Still up in the air to me. If he wants to trade combos with Shogun at any point, I'll be nervous for the kid. This is a great fight for me to watch, because I'll be happy no matter who wins.

Interesting matchup too in the sense that when Shogun first arrived on the Pride scene, he blasted through some big names with big games and made them all look silly. Bones has done the same thing in the UFC, although to a lesser degree as far as strength of opponents.

Edited by Chachie

While all the news is on the Strikeforce deal, did anyone catch this nugget from MMA junkie?

Anderson Silva documentary, "Like Water," debuts at Tribeca Film Festival

"Like Water," a documentary focused on Anderson Silva's life leading up to his UFC 117 win over Chael Sonnen, debuts at next month's Tribeca Film Festival.

Directed by Pablo Croce, the film is one of six documentaries in the New York gathering's fifth edition of the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival.

This year's Tribeca Film Festival takes begins April 20 in New York City.

"Five years ago, Tribeca and ESPN started the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival with a modest goal: We wanted to shine a light on sports stories and broaden the audience for independent film," Tribeca Film Festival's executive director Nancy Schafer stated in an official release. "It has become one of the signature programs of the Tribeca Film Festival, and I know that the audience will be thrilled with this year's films, just as I was."

"Like Water" promises an intimate and revealing look at Silva's training and personal life during his preparation for this past August's thrilling five-round victory over Sonnen. The win was the UFC middleweight champion's 12th-straight win in the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22839/anderson-silva-documentary-like-water-debuts-at-tribeca-film-festival.mma

I can't wait for this to come out, as most of you know on here I am a huge Anderson Silva fan, and hopefully this sheds some light on how serious his rib injury was. I think he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world right now hands down and it is not even close IMO. A lot of people rank GSP ahead of Anderson, and while GSP is a great fighter, he has to grind out his wins, more of a hard worker than a natural. Anderson, on the other hand is so relaxed when he fights he makes it look easy, and IMO that is a sign that you are watching greatness, when the guy makes it look easy.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

I can't wait for this to come out, as most of you know on here I am a huge Anderson Silva fan, and hopefully this sheds some light on how serious his rib injury was. I think he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world right now hands down and it is not even close IMO. A lot of people rank GSP ahead of Anderson, and while GSP is a great fighter, he has to grind out his wins, more of a hard worker than a natural. Anderson, on the other hand is so relaxed when he fights he makes it look easy, and IMO that is a sign that you are watching greatness, when the guy makes it look easy.

I can't wait to see the documentary either. Should be awesome. Anderson is apparently a character when he's not in front of the UFC cameras. I'm sure you guys have seen some of the funny behind-the-scenes videos of him before.

As far as the Anderson/GSP debate, it's up in the air as far as I'm concerned. There are good arguments for both fighters being the top P4P in the world. I don't think there is a definitive answer at this point.

I'm not a fan, but not because he doesn't deserve my respect. I don't like him because I've wasted so much money on his fights. It's just not compelling to watch him any more. After he disposed of Vitor Belfort I decided not to pay for Silva events anymore. He's just so far above the rest of the competition that I can't get get excited for his fights. It's almost not fair. :)

I am in awe of his skills and his dominance. I just think he's so good he's bad for the sport in a way. He makes awesome fighters look like vegetables. I've already declared here in this thread that he'll never lose again. Ever.

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

As far as the Anderson/GSP debate, it's up in the air as far as I'm concerned. There are good arguments for both fighters being the top P4P in the world. I don't think there is a definitive answer at this point.

GSP has to actually work for his victories. Spider just walks in, destroys without breaking a sweat, and walks out. Hands down the best P4P fighter on Earth.

Apparently he was pretty badly injured when he climbed into the cage for that fight.

Edit- and apparently Sonnen was on steroids. :)

Lol, I knew that was coming.

Didn't Sonnen win his appeal on the steroid issue because he has to take a certain amount of testosterone because of a medical issue? And didn't Silva also break a sweat against Dan Henderson? Travis Lutter? He's been the distance a few times too. I just don't think the distinction of P4P best is as clear-cut as you're making it out to be.

Lol, I knew that was coming.

Didn't Sonnen win his appeal on the steroid issue because he has to take a certain amount of testosterone because of a medical issue? And didn't Silva also break a sweat against Dan Henderson? Travis Lutter? He's been the distance a few times too. I just don't think the distinction of P4P best is as clear-cut as you're making it out to be.

Oh for the love of GOD, 98! You're gonna throw Dan Freaking Henderson in my face? The man's a living legend and Silva still made him tap. So what if it took more than one round. It was Hendo for pete's sake. Lutter gassed like an old balloon just from the sheer stress of being in the octagon with Silva. Take a look at his UFC record...

Win Vitor Belfort KO (Front Kick and Punches) UFC 126 - Silva vs. Belfort 2/5/2011 1 3:25

Win Chael Sonnen Submission (Triangle Armbar) UFC 117 - Silva vs. Sonnen 8/7/2010 5 3:10

Win Demian Maia Decision (Unanimous) UFC 112 - Invincible 4/10/2010 5 5:00

Win Forrest Griffin KO (Punch) UFC 101 - Declaration 8/8/2009 1 3:23

Win Thales Leites Decision (Unanimous) UFC 97 - Redemption 4/18/2009 5 5:00

Win Patrick Cote TKO (Knee Injury) UFC 90 - Silva vs. Cote 10/25/2008 3 0:39

Win James Irvin KO (Punches) UFC - Fight Night 14 7/19/2008 1 1:01

Win Dan Henderson Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) UFC 82 - Pride of a Champion 3/1/2008 2 4:52

Win Rich Franklin TKO (Knees) UFC 77 - Hostile Territory 10/20/2007 2 1:07

Win Nate Marquardt TKO (Punches) UFC 73 - Stacked 7/7/2007 1 4:50

Win Travis Lutter Submission (Elbows) UFC 67 - All or Nothing 2/3/2007 2 2:11

Win Rich Franklin KO (Knee) UFC 64 - Unstoppable 10/14/2006 1 2:59

Win Chris Leben KO (Knee) UFC - Ultimate Fight Night 5 6/28/2006 1 0:49

Anderson Silva crushes all comers with minimal effort. he's been the distance twice. Twice. Even those two fights had odd circumstances. Thales Leites went the distance by laying on his back with his feet in the air. Demian Maia made it that far because Silva lost his mind and decided to humiliate instead of finish. Other than that, nobody has come close to even threatening to come close. (Except for Sonnen when Silva was hurt and he didn't even make it through 5 rounds. He got subbed.) People toss GSP into the mix with Silva because they hate Silva. Heck, I hate Silva but I'm not under any false impressions here. The guy is making the UFC and maybe the entire MMA world look silly. He's a frigging alien with super powers.

Oh for the love of GOD, 98! You're gonna throw Dan Freaking Henderson in my face? The man's a living legend and Silva still made him tap. So what if it took more than one round. It was Hendo for pete's sake. Lutter gassed like an old balloon just from the sheer stress of being in the octagon with Silva. Take a look at his UFC record...

Win Vitor Belfort KO (Front Kick and Punches) UFC 126 - Silva vs. Belfort 2/5/2011 1 3:25

Win Chael Sonnen Submission (Triangle Armbar) UFC 117 - Silva vs. Sonnen 8/7/2010 5 3:10

Win Demian Maia Decision (Unanimous) UFC 112 - Invincible 4/10/2010 5 5:00

Win Forrest Griffin KO (Punch) UFC 101 - Declaration 8/8/2009 1 3:23

Win Thales Leites Decision (Unanimous) UFC 97 - Redemption 4/18/2009 5 5:00

Win Patrick Cote TKO (Knee Injury) UFC 90 - Silva vs. Cote 10/25/2008 3 0:39

Win James Irvin KO (Punches) UFC - Fight Night 14 7/19/2008 1 1:01

Win Dan Henderson Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) UFC 82 - Pride of a Champion 3/1/2008 2 4:52

Win Rich Franklin TKO (Knees) UFC 77 - Hostile Territory 10/20/2007 2 1:07

Win Nate Marquardt TKO (Punches) UFC 73 - Stacked 7/7/2007 1 4:50

Win Travis Lutter Submission (Elbows) UFC 67 - All or Nothing 2/3/2007 2 2:11

Win Rich Franklin KO (Knee) UFC 64 - Unstoppable 10/14/2006 1 2:59

Win Chris Leben KO (Knee) UFC - Ultimate Fight Night 5 6/28/2006 1 0:49

Anderson Silva crushes all comers with minimal effort. he's been the distance twice. Twice. Even those two fights had odd circumstances. Thales Leites went the distance by laying on his back with his feet in the air. Demian Maia made it that far because Silva lost his mind and decided to humiliate instead of finish. Other than that, nobody has come close to even threatening to come close. (Except for Sonnen when Silva was hurt and he didn't even make it through 5 rounds. He got subbed.) People toss GSP into the mix with Silva because they hate Silva. Heck, I hate Silva but I'm not under any false impressions here. The guy is making the UFC and maybe the entire MMA world look silly. He's a frigging alien with super powers.

c7d75545.jpg

C'mon man. I'm well aware of what Anderson's record looks like...and why do you hate him BTW? He's one of the best ever and hasn't shown any reason for someone to hate him unless you're fighting @ 185 in the UFC.

Anderson is one of my favorite fighters and so is GSP. I just don't think Anderson is head and shoulders the favorite for best P4P fighter in the world right now. It's closer than you're giving credit for. P4P rankings are so subjective anyway that there isn't a clear cut answer until someone loses or they fight each other. IMO, Fedor was the best P4P fighter until last summer. Some people agree some disagree but there's no definite answer when comparing great fighters from different weight classes. Even Sherdog listed GSP on top of the P4P list back in November.

Anderson has a ton of thrilling victories where he just annihilates his opponents. GSP fights a different style and wins a different way but does it really make him less of a fighter? When is the last time GSP lost a round? The Serra fight? That was nearly four years ago. There has to be something said for that.

And again, I'm not claiming that GSP is the best P4P fighter in the world, I'm just saying it's close. You're telling me that there's a definite answer and it's not close. That's just not the case IMO.

*Edit: and the reason I brought up Hendo and Lutter is because those were the last fights Anderson lost rounds to aside from the Sonnen fight.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Those 4 rounds he badly lost against Sonnen stick in peoples' minds, even after the Segal kick. That, along with the deflating performances against Cote, Leites and Maia, attributes to their argument. I believe we shouldn't summarize those weird performances by giving Anderson a pass. Deem them ****ty outings.

Simply looking who bags the W's is fine, and those people have their opinions, but recently GSP has just shut down any hope in his division. There's never a piece of **** performance or a miracle finish, he absolutely decimates his opposition. After the fight, you get to thinking, and realize that his opponent never had a chance. Not Alves, not Fitch, not Penn, not anyone. Virtually all of the ass-whooping in UFC Welterweight title fights in the past 2 years has been done by GSP, and not his opposition.

Lately, enough for my two cents in the P4P debate at least, I'd have to say GSP is the sharpest fighter out there.

LOL I should have dropped a smiley somewhere in there. :)

C'mon man. I'm well aware of what Anderson's record looks like...and why do you hate him BTW? He's one of the best ever and hasn't shown any reason for someone to hate him unless you're fighting @ 185 in the UFC.

I only hate him because he's wasted so much of my money on easy victories. I started hating him after the Maia fight because he was being a douche. Then the Sonnen fight ticked me off because I didn't see it live and it was the only fight where Silva was even threatened. The Belfort fight solidified my hate because I spent the $50 thinking I'd see a brawl and got punked!

But the main point I want to make is that I wasn't being angry at you. I thought you'd see the humor in my rant. Definitely did NOT mean to come off like that. It was pure mock rage. :)

Simply looking who bags the W's is fine, and those people have their opinions, but recently GSP has just shut down any hope in his division. There's never a piece of **** performance or a miracle finish, he absolutely decimates his opposition.

Silva shuts down hope in 2 weight classes and absolutely decimates his opposition even quicker and with less effort than GSP. If Matt Serra could knock GSP out then Anderson Silva will literally kill him with a girly slap. :)