Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Very good interview. I think Dana is saying "business as usual" because there are so many contracts currently in place. He has no choice. IMO Strikeforce is going to be become UFC minor leagues. We'll see what happens after 2 years when the contracts all expire.

I'm thinking the same. He said similar things about Pride when they acquired them.

i'm kind of surprised they were able to keep this under wraps

Edited by StillUnknown

I am stunned. I honestly thought Strikeforce would be going under at some point in the near future, but it is still surprising. They spent too much money too fast, did not market themselves at all and the last straw might have been not being able to have a Fedor-Overeem PPV. As a fan though, it kinda sucks because competition makes everyone better.

Oh man, I am salivating at the thought of fighters like overeem and uh overeem fighting in the ufc :)

if Dana is to believed, it won't happen until their current contracts with Strikeforce expire

he stated several times that there would be no Strikeforce fighters going to the UFC, at least in the immediate future.

fighters that are cut from the UFC, will most likely end up in strikeforce though

Dude come on, thats the same thing he said with pride and the wec.

Strikeforce has a deal with Showtime, they won't completely dissolve Strikeforce until that deal is up. They were able to work around the WEC tv deal with Versus by agreeing to host a number of UFC events on Versus. Dana doesn't really like the people at showtime, so that isn't going to happen.

Whats most likely to happen is that when a fighter's contract with Strikeforce is over, they will go to the UFC if the UFC wants them. Once Strikeforce's deal with Showtime is up, Strikeforce will be folded into UFC.

looks like Zuffa literally has every top fighter, with the exception of Eddie Alvarez, under their umbrella

Strikeforce has a deal with Showtime, they won't completely dissolve Strikeforce until that deal is up. They were able to work around the WEC tv deal with Versus by agreeing to host a number of UFC events on Versus. Dana doesn't really like the people at showtime, so that isn't going to happen.

Whats most likely to happen is that when a fighter's contract with Strikeforce is over, they will go to the UFC if the UFC wants them. Once Strikeforce's deal with Showtime is up, Strikeforce will be folded into UFC.

looks like Zuffa literally has every top fighter, with the exception of Eddie Alvarez, under their umbrella

My biggest question is what is going to happen to the women's divisions as contracts expire? Dana White has said in the past that the UFC will never have women's divisions, but he's also said that they would never merge the WEC's lighter weight classes into the UFC...

---------- Post added March-12th-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

8251a139.png

Nick Diaz vs. GSP is a fight I would like to see. Nick Diaz is banned in Vegas for prior positive weed tests (lame) so Canada would be the likely choice.

Honestly, Dana lucked out here, cause if by some tiny chance Jake Shields beats GSP...and holds onto the title for any significant time, then Diaz vs. Shields is a compelling match as well cause Diaz can play up the whole "you ran from me to the UFC" stuff hahahaha.

Nick Diaz vs. GSP is a fight I would like to see. Nick Diaz is banned in Vegas for prior positive weed tests (lame) so Canada would be the likely choice.

Honestly, Dana lucked out here, cause if by some tiny chance Jake Shields beats GSP...and holds onto the title for any significant time, then Diaz vs. Shields is a compelling match as well cause Diaz can play up the whole "you ran from me to the UFC" stuff hahahaha.

I doubt Diaz & Shields would fight, they fight under Cesar Gracie's group

Diaz vs. Shields is a compelling match as well cause Diaz can play up the whole "you ran from me to the UFC" stuff hahahaha.
I doubt Diaz & Shields would fight, they fight under Cesar Gracie's group

Yes, they are both Gracie fighters and friends, and i don't think they have any interest in fighting each other. The mess with Mayhem Miller and the Diaz brothers was after the Shields-Hendo fight. I still can't believe Jake beat Hendo like that.

Check out this woman named Ronda Rousey. she's a 4th degree black belt Judoka under Jimmy Pedro (one of the best American Judokas of all time). She won bronze in Bejing in 2008.

She's fighting MMA now and has won her first three matches via submission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96bjS37PEU&feature=player_embedded#at=127

Hopefully we'll see her in Strikeforce/UFC in the future

Time to talk UFC 128 which frankly I'm a little too excited to see. Jon Jones is one of my top three favorite fighters. The guy is just a athletic freak that seems to be built for MMA and the type of athlete I think Americans are used to seeing in their sports representing them. Something I think we'll see more of as MMA continues to overshadow boxing and steals their athletes via the continued expansion of MMA gyms into more areas of the country. Having said that I'm not confident he can beat Rua and I don't think he's fought anyone that is comparable to Shogun. Shogun is a striking MONSTER of which there just aren't many in the UFC. He's beaten a list of fighters that is almost unbelievable.

I want Jones to win and if he does it will be in the later rounds and much of the fight will take place on the ground. I don't think Rua has the cardio to fight off his back and still strike as effectively in the championship rounds.

What I think will happen though is Jones will get finished in the 2nd.

Time to talk UFC 128 which frankly I'm a little too excited to see. Jon Jones is one of my top three favorite fighters. The guy is just a athletic freak that seems to be built for MMA and the type of athlete I think Americans are used to seeing in their sports representing them. Something I think we'll see more of as MMA continues to overshadow boxing and steals their athletes via the continued expansion of MMA gyms into more areas of the country. Having said that I'm not confident he can beat Rua and I don't think he's fought anyone that is comparable to Shogun. Shogun is a striking MONSTER of which there just aren't many in the UFC. He's beaten a list of fighters that is almost unbelievable.

I want Jones to win and if he does it will be in the later rounds and much of the fight will take place on the ground. I don't think Rua has the cardio to fight off his back and still strike as effectively in the championship rounds.

What I think will happen though is Jones will get finished in the 2nd.

Shogun is one of my top 5 fave fighters. The only problem with him is that he seems to get injured every time he fights. Most times he wins anyway but if he's not 100% for every second of this upcoming fight he will get beat severely by Bones.

I remember being absolutely stunned that Forrest Griffin subbed Rua. Apparently he took that fight with both a bad knee and a bad back. Since he healed up he's been unbeatable against top-notch competition but I see Bones as the future of MMA so Shogun's reign might be coming to an end as soon as it started. We'll see but I'm in Shogun's corner.