Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Random observations:

--If someone told me 15 years ago that Mark Henry (and Big Show for that matter) would still be employed by WWE in 2015 I'd have been floored. Those two lived in the doghouse and the company was stuck with them thanks to their contracts.

--While we're talking about fifteen years ago, I thought Ron Killings (R-Truth) had superstar potential. As in, putting him in the Steve Austin / The Rock / Triple-H / Mick Foley main event mix.

--I really like Sheamus' current persona.

--I really hate Ziggler's current candy-ass babyface persona.

--Did Wade Barrett stop lifting?

....but the announcing is so ****ing bad. Lawler doesn't even give a **** anymore

Last night, during the tag team match, Cole said Xavier Woods was claustrophobic. This bamma King had the nerve to say he thought claustrophobia was when you were scared of Santa Claus. They lost me right then and there. I was done...

But yes, the match was sooo good. So glad Owens won and Cena always has props from me. It's the people that write for him that get on my nerves. But yeah, out of all the Megastars, Cena seems to be the one that puts people over the most late in his career. He seems to get it.

Edited by MLSKINS

Last night, during the tag team match, Cole said Xavier Woods was claustrophobic. This bamma King had the nerve to say he thought claustrophobia was when you were scared of Santa Claus. They lost me right then and there. I was done...

But yes, the match was sooo good. So glad Owens won and Cena always has props from me. It's the people that write for him that get on my nerves. But yeah, out of all the Megastars, Cena seems to be the one that puts people over the most late in his career. He seems to get it.

Lol, yeah, I never liked Cena, but he deserves some major major props. Someone like Austin would've just left the company.

At the end of the day, Cena goes home to Nikki Bella. I'm sure there is some consolation in that. 

Plus...I'm trying to remember another superstar ever putting so many "new" wrestlers over in a 1 or 2 year span. 

Flair maybe back in his day?

Edited by The Evil Genius

I tweeted out last night that Cena and Trips probably had to drug Vince into allowing that.

I respect the hell outta Cena the man/performer. His character on screen is the issue.

He's like the Rock. He has no issue putting guys over, but unfortunately he's not the Booker

I think that line was what made me post that. I spent the hours prior to the PPV watching old Raws and the difference in Lawler's commentary is light years apart. Even tho, he took the old pervert gimmick too far at times, he was solid most of the time. Now he is awful.

Cole did a good job adding a nice element to the match in announcing Woods' phobia and Lawler completely sandbagged him

• Like 1

Was the seemingly out of nowhere build to Austin-Lesnar on that podcast the most meta moment in WWE history?

Talking about promos and Dusty's question of "Where is the money?" and a few moments later....Fat retired Steve Austin transforms in a millisecond to Stone Cold Steve Austin and is talking about how he would whoop Brock Lesnar's ass in front of a 100,000 Texans, and it dawns on me that I'm a 3.5 drive from Dallas.

God, I wish there were more carnies in wrestling these days. John Cena is fantastic in the ring. John Cena is a team player and will literally do anything for the company. John Cena will do anything in the community. But John Cena does not want all the money in my wallet.

Paul Heyman and Steve Austin want all the money in my wallet. And I kinda want to give it to them.

If you haven't seen what I'm taking about, you need to find it. It's amazing, and I'm pretty convinced it was off the cuff. Heyman brings it up. Austin makes a comment. Heyman pushes. Austin figures out that Heyman is actually being kind of serious and that they may be booking the WrestleMania main event right here and now and just ****ing goes with it. Austin then realizes that he may volunteering to get suplexed fifty six times and says "**** that!" and immediately books a Texas Death Match for them so they can just do garbage wrestling all over the building. Heyman realizes that he has a phone in his hand and uses that. Austin realizes that Heyman has a phone in his hand and "Yes ands" the hell out of the prop like he was trained in Second City.

This was like watching a heist movie happen in real time.

• Like 1

About 95% of that podcast I'd already heard either on Austins podcast on the Paul Heyman DVD.

The Sting/Steiner vs SST/Heyman road warriors story was new & I'm not so sure the booking for WM's main event hadn't had a little bit of planning before hand. Austin has said several times on his podcast that the stars would have to align for him to do it. I think he had already figured out the Texas Death Match angle due to his neck & knee issues. I figure it really comes down to his schedule with Redneck Island & Broken Skull Challenge shooting. I'm know BSC shooting is about to start but not sure when he shoots RI again.

But yeah, the last few minutes, they took my wallet. Austin's switch to promo mode was amazing. Like LBK said, if you haven't seen it, go watch it. It's MONEY. :)

About 95% of that podcast I'd already heard either on Austins podcast on the Paul Heyman DVD.

The Sting/Steiner vs SST/Heyman road warriors story was new & I'm not so sure the booking for WM's main event hadn't had a little bit of planning before hand. Austin has said several times on his podcast that the stars would have to align for him to do it. I think he had already figured out the Texas Death Match angle due to his neck & knee issues. I figure it really comes down to his schedule with Redneck Island & Broken Skull Challenge shooting. I'm know BSC shooting is about to start but not sure when he shoots RI again.

But yeah, the last few minutes, they took my wallet. Austin's switch to promo mode was amazing. Like LBK said, if you haven't seen it, go watch it. It's MONEY. :)

Yea....I've heard these two talk so much that nothing was really new. (Cornette's podcasts are now reaching that point. I know more about the history of Memphis wrestling now than Jeff Jarrett. I don't need to know this much about gate receipts in the 50s).

But....holy crap that last segment. The idea of SCSA and Paul E trading promos for two months before a match in JerryWorld...

And you could garbage that match up to a ridiculous degree. Steve wouldn't have to take a bump bigger than the one he takes on his ass for the stunner.......It's not like you want a 30 minute marathon out of Brock anyway.

I would keep the rest of the card squeaky clean of run ins and garbage wrestling and have the two of them work the most ridiculous ECW style garbage brawl in wrestling history. Paul E could book this in his sleep.

Dying in the ring is like an honorable act to those dudes.

But I do fear that these days, just one F-5 might just rip whats left of his spine to shreds

No one wants him taking a big bump. You don't put Austin in the ring at this point for him to actually wrestle. It's for the spectacle of it.

You can turn this into a garbage brawl and everyone will be happy because Steve has legitimately not wrestled in ten years. Just seeing him in trunks is the payoff.

(This isn't Flair or Hogan who have retired 50 times and actually have to do something in the ring to get a reaction now).

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

LBK- knowing Paul, I'd bet he's probably already booked it. :)

I don't know why you guys are thinking Austin would have to be taking F5's from Brock. It's why Austin called for it to be a Texas Death Match. You can do everything in that match without having to do an F5. And there is NO ONE that hides a guy's weakness when booking like Heyman.

This match is SO money they need to not give the network away to new subscribers that month. GET everyone's $9.99 for Mania because they'd be stupid to give that match away for free.

Alright alright, i get it now. Wouldn't mind seeing Austin come out for something like that. Vest, but no trunks. Then again, Austin is still doing movies, and last time i saw him in WWE was when he was making a run in on Miz and Alex Riley a few years back, andhe  looked in pretty damn good shape. No sign of roid overload like the Rock.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

LBK- knowing Paul, I'd bet he's probably already booked it. :)

I don't know why you guys are thinking Austin would have to be taking F5's from Brock. It's why Austin called for it to be a Texas Death Match. You can do everything in that match without having to do an F5. And there is NO ONE that hides a guy's weakness when booking like Heyman.

This match is SO money they need to not give the network away to new subscribers that month. GET everyone's $9.99 for Mania because they'd be stupid to give that match away for free.

I just want to keep talking about this.

Austin, Cornette, and JR have all quoted Terry Funk's line "They can think all this is bull****, but they're going to think I'm real" but this was the best example of it I've seen in years.

That whole podcast is built around breaking kayfabe. Talking about money promos and road stories and what have you. But the second Steve saw dollar signs, he started talking about how he would kick Lesnar's ass in the ring.

There was no talk of putting on a show for the fans.

No talk of creating a WrestleMania moment.

No talk of "performing."

Direct quotes.

"I'd beat his ass. If I was going to fight Brock Lesnar, I'd beat his ass."

"I'd have to think about it, but I think the person who'd really have to think about it is Brock Lesnar. To take all that momentum....and roll into Cowboys Stadium in front of 105,000 people and get his ass smoked....."

The best part of that being a video podcast was you see it in Austin's face. You could see his entire demeanor change. Body language changed. Tone changed. Personally changed. It was money. And it was a lesson to the new kids of they bothered to pay attention to it.

Alright alright, i get it now. Wouldn't mind seeing Austin come out for something like that. Vest, but no trunks. Then again, Austin is still doing movies, and last time i saw him in WWE was when he was making a run in on Miz and Alex Riley a few years back, andhe  looked in pretty damn good shape. No sign of roid overload like the Rock.

The problem the Rock has run into is that when he comes back, he actually tries to wrestle like the Rock used to wrestle. And he's dangerously out of ring shape.

Steve wouldn't try that.

The storyline is really simple: One suplex or F-5 from Brock could kill Steve. So the whole match is Brock trying to get that one suplex on Steve....and Steve using every weapon in the state of Texas to prevent it from happening. And you just have Brock walk through every weapons shot like Superman. It's the last 15 minutes of Terminator in a ring.

The best part of that being a video podcast was you see it in Austin's face. You could see his entire demeanor change. Body language changed. Tone changed. Personally changed. It was money. And it was a lesson to the new kids of they bothered to pay attention to it.

I honestly think the last time I saw anything like that was Hogan at WrestleMania 18. He picked up the vibe of those fans immediately and did the first ever in match, on the fly face turn in wrestling history. And to his credit, the Rock (who let's not forget was born into wrestling) immediately picked up on the vibe and went with it.

As talented as so many of the young dudes in WWE are, I can't see but two or three of them figuring that out. Even Cena has sometimes been rattled by fan reaction.

Yeah Hogan/Rock double turn was magic. Hogan came in as the heel & the crowd cheers him & boos Rock's babyface & they both almost immediately went with the double turn.

Back to Austin who's said that the double turn in a match is damn near impossible to pull off but he & Brett Hart did it when Austin passed out in the Sharp Shooter for the finish. After the match Brett, even with the win, starts beating the hell out of Austin to put the exclamation point on the double turn.

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to see Austin again

As a kid, I start watching regularly towards the end of 99 so at that point, he was really breaking down physically and off tv

When he came back, he went against Rock so I hated him lol

Now that I'm older, I really appreciate his work more

As long as he doesn't take a bump and still gets to do his real podcasts every Thursday, I'm good