Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Kind of an odd/stupid question, but back in the day a lot of the shows (even on TV) consisted of the names matched up against no name jobbers. 

Do those matches still exist? Are they even shown?  It seems like even the jobbers these days have gimmicks and finishing moves. Whatever happened to the total squash matches?

Kind of an odd/stupid question, but back in the day a lot of the shows (even on TV) consisted of the names matched up against no name jobbers. 

Do those matches still exist? Are they even shown?  It seems like even the jobbers these days have gimmicks and finishing moves. Whatever happened to the total squash matches?

Every once in a while they will come back from a break and there will be a smallish guy in the ring with a normal name.  Then out comes whoever to whoop him in 30 seconds.....grab the mic...and call out somebody else.

When I see limited in ring work - Nash, Hall, Austin, Rock, Reigns - It only seems to work if they can speak as well, like Kane. Limited work rate, same matches every single time, boring on the stick so you couldn't ever push him to carry the company. Now when those guys can coverup the in ring work with outstanding charisma you have magic. We all have different tastes, just sharing my opinion

You think Hall, Austin, and the Rock were limited?

I don't agree at all - especially with Austin. Austin was an incredible worker until he broke his neck. He lost a little after that but was still really good.

I'm confused as to why Barry Windham would be considered a big guy? He was never 300+ lbs...which I think everyone we have discussed is. 

He would be an average size wrestler today.

6'5", 275 (at his heaviest). 

Yea....Windham was just this side of a white meat babyface for most of his career. He is certainly not in the Kamala category.

I've always wondered if he and his Dad hadn't gotten in trouble with the law how high is ceiling in the business could have been

Kendall got in trouble, not Barry.

Dusty Rhodes has a shoot interview where he says that he was grooming Barry to be his top star and future booker, but Barry just didn't want it. He liked staying home, drinking beer, and chasing women.

I've heard that about a few dudes over the years. Like I said, Sid would quit for months at a time to play softball. Austin Idol would make enough money to stay at home for months as well. (I don't know why Idol never ended up as Hogan's opponent of the month in 80s WWF. Dude looked great and could talk).

Did you see the start of the Acension? The new tag team that debuted on Raw recently? They have been using squash matches like this lately

You think Hall, Austin, and the Rock were limited?

I don't agree at all - especially with Austin. Austin was an incredible worker until he broke his neck. He lost a little after that but was still really good.

Yea I do. Just my opinion but I would never talk about Scott Hall, Steve Austin, or the Rock and mention there ability to wrestle catch as catch can. Early on in the AWA Scott Hall was a better technical wrestler then he was as Razor Ramone, Stunning Steve Austin was a better Technical wrestler then the WWF's Stone Cold Steve Austin, and well the Rock I don't have a time when he was ever a mat wrestler persay.

That's not me saying that I didn't enjoy the matches, I did. And I'm not saying that there matches were boring they went. Those guys could have had 20 minute matches with a stuffed animal and made it entertaining. But that's because they were charismatic and entertainers. I personally wouldn't compare them to the likes of Ricky Steamboat as far as wrestling ability goes

Kendall got in trouble, not Barry.

Dusty Rhodes has a shoot interview where he says that he was grooming Barry to be his top star and future booker, but Barry just didn't want it. He liked staying home, drinking beer, and chasing women.

I've heard that about a few dudes over the years. Like I said, Sid would quit for months at a time to play softball. Austin Idol would make enough money to stay at home for months as well. (I don't know why Idol never ended up as Hogan's opponent of the month in 80s WWF. Dude looked great and could talk).

Interesting stuff man. I could have sworn Barry was affected by that arrest...memories of old times just aren't what they used to be.

Austin Idol was a made for Memphis wrestling legend. Along the lines of Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee. Guys that in a smaller environment who they could trust back then (Trust was everything back then) and would run the place. In that area they were Gods, somewhere else they wouldn't have worked as well. He did have the look and the talking ability down.

I think they never fed him to Hogan because I believe he was involved in a run with Lawler at the time. and it's because Hogan only wrestled these matches in Memphis

5/14/1979

DQ win over the Mongolian Stomper

5/21/1979

w/ Jerry Lawler defeated The Mongolian Stomper and Georgous George Jr.

7/16/1979

w/ Ed Bolder (Brutus Beefcake) defeated Ron Bass and Pete Austin

7/23/1979

w/ Ed Bolder defeated Ron Bass and Pete Austin

7/30/1979

lost to Ron Bass

8/06/1979

w/ Jackie Fargo won over Ron Bass and Sonny King

8/13/1979

no contest with Ron Bass

8/20/1979

pinned Sonny King

02/09/1981

lost to Lawler by DQ

In late 79 Vince Senior decided that he was to turn heel. For him to face Austin Idol they had to wrap up the Lawler fued and it was grossing too much to do that and that was the backbone to that promotion. As long as they had those three they could afford to see these legends come in and out of the territory and still keep the lights on. If they fed Hogan they would have lost. Hogan would have left and then what do they do with a tarnished star in Austin then? So they protected him with Lawler, and protected Lawler with Austin and kept the lights on
Edited by hankersonfan

After seeing the Reigns/Lesnar Heyman promo on Monday Night. I think this match can have some legs.

I don't care what anybody says, that promo was Heyman's idea and I liked it. I really hope that they don't have Lesnar and Reigns fight each other at all until Mania. No press conference brawls. Nothing! The best thing would to be, the Monday before Mania, to do the same thing they just did at the Rumble with Rusev and Cena. Have them get in each other face and have everybody come and break it up.

Pretty good Grantland article: Suspension of Disbelief: WWE Thinks Roman Reigns Is Its Next Big Star, No Matter What Fans Say

The mystery isn’t whether WWE actively despises these fans, but rather why it hasn’t figured out how to tell stories in a way that harnesses modern-day fan reactions and uses them to further WWE’s plans. The events at Sunday’s Rumble dispel the notion that last year’s Bryan story line was deliberate, because WWE still doesn’t seem to know what it’s doing. If WWE had learned something from the Bryan episode, then Reigns never would have won the Rumble at least not the way he won. The fans would have been incorporated into the outcome. They wouldn’t have needed to openly revolt against it.

Instead, we have Brock Lesnar versus Roman Reigns at WrestleMania. Whether we like it or not.

Edited by MattFancy
  • Like 1

Random stream of Royal Rumble watching

First entry was the Miz. Why? R Truth #2? I would have crapped on that too. Made more sense after Bubba Ray came out next. Huge pop for Bubba Ray Dudley...awesome to see him back in Philly. That was awesome

Seeing the return of the Wyatt Family was awesome.

7 the boogyman? the ****....stupid. Didn't like him the first time around and got a check for about 1 min of work. Only if you can get it

8 Cincara....excited. nice entrance, very disappointing showing didn't stay long enough maybe 2 minutes. Why wont the E realize that we want to root for masked mexican wrestler?

Bray calls out the back, says its his year and the payoff

9 Zac Ryder....wow, perfect time for an old timer to come out. Lasted 1 minute. Boring and stupid

10 Daniel Bryan! Okay now we can see if he still has it to the writers or not. Crowd reaction to the goat running kicks is awesome, loudest all night. Glad to see Bryan back

11 Fandango....I hate this guy, boring and no heat from me. He can wrestle but why would he get stuck with this ****ty character? The chic's hes with are hot though. No believability he can even hang with Bryan. And to think Chris Jericho put him over at Mania in one of the most selfless moves I've ever seen a heavyweight champion ever do just disappoints me

12 Tyson Kidd...looks really really really small against Fandango. Height kills his career, why didn't they go with a spike dudley character thing rooting the little guy on with him instead of the boring ****y guy he has always been? Type cast by McMahon? True character? Either way can't see many interesting programs with him like that

13 Stardust....wake me when this gets good. The ring is currently full with Bray Wyatt, Daniel Bryan, Fandango, Stardust, and Tyson Kidd...starting to see why the fans weren't into this.

14 Diamond Dallas Page? WHAT!!! AWESOME!! And the good feeling lasted 3 seconds when Stardust puts the boots to him immediately and he lasts 2 minutes between beat down come back beat down some more tossed out. DDP wasn't the greatest but he is a legend and deserved better. And the crowd noise responds with a loud long drawn out boooo.....which lasts a least 3 minutes long. Who thought this was how to use DDP in the Royal Rumble...

15 Rusev!! I liked this character a lot. top 5 young stars budding. Why didn't they give him the Rumble?He eliminates Daniel Bryan here and everyone else except Bray Wyatt. Completely cleaned out and very dominate. He has a great rumble, lasting until the very end. Why not him vs Lesner? Too soon? Or do they not want to get into the same problem they have with Lesner and that is competition that isn't Cena? Glass ceiling might be low with him but he's awesome, Iron Shiek like. Totally unlikable, true heat. It may be the worst time for this man to enter wrestling. Not enough big men in the business to work with. Top wrestling performance at the Rumble right here.

16 Golddust...Crowds pissed, booing loudly.....not used to this at the Rumble....which leads us to Golddust being almost eliminated by Stardust who was already eliminated I thought in a lame no one understands comedy moment that missed, then we see them fight, Personally never been a fan of real blood wresting matches....loud chants for Daniel Bryan start and come back throughout the show. If the plan was to have Bryan leave early in the Rumble why not let him come out later then 25th? The people writing this are morons with a lot of this and brought the heat on themselves...

17 Kofi Kingston...mildly excited about the one time a year Kofi is interesting...Stardust is still in the ring. 

18 Adam Rose....coming out with the village idiots. This guy sucks, kill this character already. It like the Acension shows the writers are completely out of touch with what people want to see and they don't want to see this...Absolutely best moment in Adam Rose career happens here, Kofi's Rumble moment spot was awesome, they throw him over the rope way far out there and he lands on the village idiots who catch him, dance around the ring and throw him back in. Well done.

19 Roman Reigns...crowd boos loudly against him entering the match. Loudly booing him throughout the match....they do not like Reigns. I've been to WWE in Dallas recently and he was not given this reaction. Its surprising how much they are ****ting on Reigns in this match. I know it's Philly and I know him winning was lame at the very end but they were booing him out of the building when he was walking down the ramp in the crowd.

20 Big E....crowd ****s on him too. I would have too. Back in the day guys like Big E would be used as feeders to a champion and move on to the next league, guys like Big E could have a career for a long run but leave them in one territory for too long and they start to stink like rotting food, If he had an ounce of a personality he would get over but he doesn't. The heat he's drawing is not the right kind....WTF was that rolling bowling ball move autovance move thing from Rusev? Pretty bad ass and first time I seen it

21 Mizdow....funny skit that lasts two minutes with him and the Miz and that was perfect for him. Comedy in wrestling needs to come in short spurts like that not drag out.

22 Jack Swagger....ring is filling up. Recap...Rusev, Swagger, Big E, Reigns, Wyatt

23 Ryback....

And then I lost track. In the end it was a terrible ending and worst Rumble I've seen in a long time.

Smackdown had an interesting start.

Trips with a good line about the Patriot's balls.

Then makes an announcement that on Monday he's going to make an announcement regarding the controversy about the Rumble that will "likely shake the WWE Universe to its core"

I'm intrigued.

I hope they don't pull Reigns though.

• Like 1

I never saw much from Austin.  I saw Stunning Steve in WCW and it seemed like he had nothing

I think in kayfabe they generally called Barry like 6' 7'' so  he was supposed to be a big guy.  I remember when he teamed with Dustin they were frequently referred to as the Two Tall Texans

Here's how I'd "fix" the controversy... And this would mean tying up loose ends.

1) HHH's announcement: Curtis Axel was never eliminated. First, I'd tell Reigns that by no means at any time on a house show, TV, or PPV between now and when that's dealt with do you go over the top rope. No spots that you get clotheslined over. Nothing. DO NOT GO OVER THE TOP ROPE OR AXEL WINS THE ROYAL RUMBLE.

2) Put Reigns and Axel in the ring together. Make them wrestle as the last two guys in the Rumble. Obviously, Reigns wins rather quickly and is the official Royal Rumble winner.

3) HHH's music hits and he comes out and says congrats to Reigns and he's now officially the winner of the Rumble and headed to WrestleMania. "Voices" hits and out comes Randy Orton. He says he has a rematch clause and he's going to use it at Mania. Bryan's music hits and he comes out and says, "I've never even lost the title, so I demand my shot at Mania!" and right after Rollins music hits. Rollins says that he's decided that he's going to cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase and put himself in the main event at Mania. Then a brawl between the four of them breaks out and nothing is confirmed or settled.

4) On RAW, Triple H comes out and says that only Rollins' request will be granted. He can't deny it, it's his right as briefcase holder and because he showed he was the future at Royal Rumble, he's earned that shot. So it'll be Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins at WrestleMania. Orton comes out yelling at HHH off mic. Bryan follows suit. No music. They just walk out incredibly frustrated. After 30 seconds of arguing, Triple H gets on the mic and says, "Sorry, but that's just the way it's going to be. You're owed a title shot, but no one said it has to be at WrestleMania and it won't be at WrestleMania." He goes to leave and "No Chance" hits.

Vince says that he said on the Stone Cold podcast that he listens to the people, and since the people want it, they're going to get it. Bryan and Orton's rematch clauses have been evoked and they will be added to the main event at WrestleMania. But that's not all. He wasn't thrilled with the way that the Andre the Giant battle royal winner didn't seem to grab the brass ring last year, so this year the winner of the battle royal will also be added to the main event, making it a six man match for the WWE Title in a Ladder match! (Chamber match would be great, but I'm not sure they can support the structure in an outdoor arena).

After that, on subsequent shows, have Cesaro come out and say that he didn't grab the brass ring because he was never given the opportunity to grab it. Have Heyman come out and tell him that's because he doesn't have what it takes to be a top guy in the company. Then have Cesaro go on a roll. Before Mania, Vince runs into Cesaro backstage. Cesaro says he's done nothing but grab brass rings. Vince tells him that may be the case now, but it wasn't last year when he embarrassed him. And because of that embarrassment, Vince has made the decision that Cesaro won't be given an opportunity to defend his battle royal crown.

Right before Mania, though, Cesaro talks to Kidd in the back and says that it's time that they stop twiddling their thumbs and take control. They find a way to make themselves the #1 contender's for the tag titles.

Have Ziggler, Ryback, Barrett and Ambrose all do the same. All get intertwined with the storyline. Ziggler because he's the show stealer, Ryback because... well I don't know why. But because. Barrett because the IC Title is the "stepping stone" and Ambrose because he's not going to be the only former Shield member not involved in the dance.

That sets up the Mania card as:

Andre the Giant Battle Royal

Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, Ryback, Ambrose, Kane, Big Show, Rowan, Sin Cara, Adam Rose, Alex Riley, Big E, Kofi Kingston, Sheamus, Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel, Fandango, Heath Slater, Swagger, Luke Harper, Mark Henry

Nikki Bella vs. Paige vs. Nattie

Rusev vs. John Cena

The Uso's vs. Cesaro/Kidd

Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes

Miz vs. Sandow

Sting vs. HHH

Bray Wyatt vs. The Undertaker

Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns vs. Dolph Ziggler

Interesting stuff man. I could have sworn Barry was affected by that arrest...memories of old times just aren't what they used to be.

Austin Idol was a made for Memphis wrestling legend. Along the lines of Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee. Guys that in a smaller environment who they could trust back then (Trust was everything back then) and would run the place. In that area they were Gods, somewhere else they wouldn't have worked as well. He did have the look and the talking ability down.

Idol had a pretty strong run in Georgia on the early national TBS shows - and not a lot of Memphis folks translated in Georgia. The "four slashed tires" angle is pretty cool.

And the big thing that hurt Lawler and Dundee (especially Dundee) was their size. Dundee was barely this side of Sky Low Low. Idol was around 6'1, 240 and was pretty cut. I think he was actually bigger than Orndorff - though not as muscular.

(By the way, on his podcast yesterday, Cornette did some fantasy booking that I thought was decent. Basically, it involved teaming up Bryan and Reigns in a Rocky III scenario. Bryan helps the youngster get ready for Lesnar with the promise of the first title shot. Granted, he went back a month and never had Bryan in the Rumble in the first place, but I think it made some sense.

His usually annoying co-host made a rare good point in saying that all the babyfaces in the WWE are lone wolves. If a babyface is getting beat up, the locker room never empties. No one on either side seems to be friends or have alliances. And it may just not occur to them that pairing Bryan and Reigns might actually get some of Bryan's popularity to leak onto Reigns.

She actually has a good point. The classic wrestling angle is two babyfaces take on the baddies for a year. And then one babyface turns on the other, creating an instant blood feud that lasts six months. And at the end, you elevate one to the main event and send the other to the mid-card where you can actually have him team up with someone for a year before you split them creating a blood feud.....)

KDawg interesting story plot but mentioning Curtis Axel to me is like the boring skit with Stardust and Golddust in the rumble. When that occured no one knew why it happened, then in a dream it was over and no one cared. It would be the same with Axel, I would imagine no one knows that or cares about it. Unless you were to go full on with Axel attacking Reigns squashing him with Reigns putting him over and then throw Reigns over the top rope and give him Mania then it doesn't make sense to do it. 

As for the card couple of them are head scratchers to me. 

Rusev vs. John Cena - Why? Who goes over? Squashing Rusev to Cena makes no sense without the belt right now to me. Squashing Cena after the last few months he has had isn't going to help him either. I would rather see Cena in a match with Triple H with Sting in his corner for control over the company storyline then to see that match or the match with Sting vs Triple H. 

Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes - Not a fan of this one either, only because I don't want to see a program between brothers. 

Miz vs. Sandow - This is gold right now. Why split it up and who gains here? 

Sting vs. HHH - 10 years ago when Hogan was against Shawn Michaels is when this should have happened. I don't want it to happen now

Bray Wyatt vs. The Undertaker - I thought the Undertaker was retired, is he contracted for Wrestlmania? If so whats his motivation for coming back? I could see it if he was to go against Lesner maybe to get revenge for ending the streak but not sure why he would come out of retirement for  this match. 

Great post, just because I didn't like somethings it showed originality and I like that. Sorry if you read this and think I'm being a jerk, not trying to do that at all just discuss and learn more