Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

You never saw Hulk Hogan wrestle a jobber. That dude was house shows and PPVs only (maybe a Saturday Night's Main Event every couple of months).

Okay, first off, I meant Superstars (yes, he was on Superstars). Secondly, that's seriously what you came away from my post with?

Okay, first off, I meant Superstars (yes, he was on Superstars). Secondly, that's seriously what you came away from my post with?

It's kind of hard to compare the two eras. Their main show was one-hour a week at that point.

And - for a lot of years - there would be monthly cards from either MSG or Maple Leaf Gardens broadcast on USA. Hogan was on a lot of those shows.

PPV was really even a thing until about 6 years into the Hogan Era.

It's kind of hard to compare the two eras. Their main show was one-hour a week at that point.

And - for a lot of years - there would be monthly cards from either MSG or Maple Leaf Gardens broadcast on USA. Hogan was on a lot of those shows.

PPV was really even a thing until about 6 years into the Hogan Era.

The point remains, though. Is overexposure killing the product?

Just saw over on cagesideseats.com:

This was Bray Wyatt's promo from Smackdown:

"They say a man is defined by his actions but I am no man. I am everywhere. I am everything. I am the spirit of perpetual negation. I am the reaper. What is it that makes you think that you are immune to me and that there would be no repercussions to your actions? Maybe you think that your sins just don't count. But the eyes of a fool are blinded by pride and now the devil is knocking on your door. Knock. Knock. Knock. He just wants you to come home. Just let him in. Let him in. Let me in."

He's hinting at a new feud. And really, it's pretty obvious who he's gearing it towards: The Undertaker.

Having said that, it could be possible that he is going to take on Sting at Mania, and Hunter will go one on one with the Great One. But, I'm going to guess it's Taker all the way.

After all these sad looking pics of Taker that I've seen, why does anyone want to see him wrestle again??

Dude may legit die in the ring. He has nothing to prove with the streak gone. I mean he can't come in and beat Bray because that completely kills the Wyatt character but then that'll be two in a row lost for Taker.

Just sit it out or have an in ring segment

Among many things.

Look, WWE will be around forever in one form or another as a sports entertainment company. They are like Disney on Ice at this point.

Pro wrestling itself is dead. Dead and gone and never coming back. WWE is not pro wrestling any longer.

I like these discussions because it's fun to think like a booker. But no booker can fix the WWE's problems which is this:

It has two audiences that have nothing to do with each other. WWE fans are kids who like John Cena and his poop-joke based promos. And smarky smarks who like Daniel Bryan - right up to the point that he becomes the heavyweight champion and goes on a winning streak, at which point they will sure as **** turn on Daniel Bryan and demand something else.

Fundamentally, I don't know how you book in a world without kayfabe, in a world where the fans are not there to be surprised but there to be given what they want to see. I don't know how you please these two audiences simultanously and I don't know how a publicy traded company does it.

I liked pro wrestling because I liked seeing colorful characters settle issues violently. I don't understand the Cena kids or MOVEZ-loving smarks.

We tease Gallen here, but there used to be hundreds of thousands of him all across the country. People who cared about titles, #1 contenders, and rematch clauses. And those folks supported 25 large promotions and literally thousands of pro wrestlers. Those folks have all either died or moved onto MMA, I guess.

This is the bet WWE is making, and they are probably going to be right. Roman Reigns is going to be champ and will be champ - off and on - for the next five years at least. People will complain about him, but they will keep watching because they are addicted to WWE. And new kids will come along and take the place of the kids who have out-grown it. I told you: last month, my six year old watch his first ever match and was hooked. I'll be buying replica title belts for him within a year probably.

As long as they can maintain the 3 to 4 million fans who watch weekly, the million who buy the network, and as long as Europe remains a piggybank for them, WWE is never going to change.

I just watched the last three NXTs. It's ridiculous how much of a better product it is than the main shows. I honestly think it's the time. Hell would freeze before you see me watch three RAW in one day.

Can't wait until the 11th to see this special.

It's definitely the time. Between Main Event, Superstars (do people watch these, though?) at one hour each, plus two hours of Smackdown, plus 3 hours and 5-15 minutes of RAW... You've got a lot of exposure on your hands.

I watched the Paul Heyman DVD last night, and he certainly made his fair share of mistakes... But I had forgotten just how good Smackdown was when he was the head writer. He made stars of guys who probably wouldn't have gotten that shot. And it crushed RAW in the ratings, merch and attendance at house shows during his tenure.

Hitting rewind, and using hindsight, I wouldn't have made the brand extension between RAW and Smackdown, although they certainly did it to prove that their brand was superior instead of using Nitro.

If they would have kept WCW and WWE as separate entities they could have done even more with it. But that's neither here nor there.

Where the brand split worked perfectly, though, was they split the writing team and the roster into separate entities and gave life to both shows. There wasn't overexposure of any one, necessarily, because they were only on the air for two or so hours a week. Storylines were different because different people were writing them. There was a freshness about it.

I think they could do it again, to be quite honest. But they'd have to 1) Hire better writers and 2) Get more depth on the roster. They won't go back to it, at least not until a lot of the NXT guys are ready, but they could and it may create better TV and more excitement. Especially with the Network carrying the PPVs.

If they didn't prioritize one show over the other, they could definitely drum up some interest in the product. House shows could be interesting, too, because being from where I am, if they alternated Raw/Smackdown house shows every year/six months they'd be more likely to get more bodies at the shows rather than seeing the same guys each time.

I know it won't happen at this point. But man, it would be interesting!

Writing has been pretty mediocre for a while.

I don't know that it is over-exposure per say.  

They could go back to time limits and make some matches more than one fall.

That could chew up a ton of time in some shows and you wouldn't need as many matches. Thus the wrestlers would perform less frequently.

They can get the best talent in the world...sometimes I simply don't think that they do also.

Writing has been pretty mediocre for a while.

I don't know that it is over-exposure per say.  

They could go back to time limits and make some matches more than one fall.

That could chew up a ton of time in some shows and you wouldn't need as many matches. Thus the wrestlers would perform less frequently.

How much wrestling is actually on Raw at this point? The least of my worries is that these guys are wrestling too much and too long.

How much wrestling is actually on Raw at this point? The least of my worries is that these guys are wrestling too much and too long.

Yeah. Agreed.

I get the need for storyline purposes to have long talking segments once in awhile... But at some point it gets a bit overbearing. They're even going to do one at Fast Lane for Sting/Trips.

They did one at Mania (although, Hogan, Rock and Austin in the same ring was worth it) and they do them entirely too often. I miss the days of Jack Tunney and short promos. LKB has said it many times, but the authority figure thing, as a constant on-screen presence anyways, needs to go the heck away. Have a GM. Fine. Let's keep them out of it unless there's about to be something they need to intervene in.

Shorten the shows a bit.

It's just too much.

I am pretty sure I said this a few years ago. I rarely watch anymore. I catch a show here or there.

It's not the over exposure, it's the quality and content of the shows in my opinion.

Hell, the most popular sport in the country is on at least 3 days a week.

I am pretty sure I said this a few years ago. I rarely watch anymore. I catch a show here or there.

It's not the over exposure, it's the quality and content of the shows in my opinion.

Hell, the most popular sport in the country is on at least 3 days a week.

But it's different every single time in our eyes (crazy football fans).

Wrestling isn't. Same recycled stuff. So overexposure comes into play much more for the casual audience. AND there's NO offseason. So there's no one saying, "OH MY GOD! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL DANIEL BRYAN WRESTLES LESNAR! DID YOU SEE HOW MUCH HE IMPROVED IN TRAINING CAMP!?!?"

Someone who knows what each match is and can really tell the story may find each match unique.

That's not to say I disagree with you about the quality, I don't. I just think overexposure happens a lot easier in wrestling due to a lack of offseason.

Edited by KDawg

Someone who knows what each match is and can really tell the story may find each match unique.

That's difficult to do when you can almost guess the script every time.

I agree about the casual audience losing interest. I was a big fan as a kid. I knew it was scripted then also. It was simply a better product.

They also started to keep some of the big stars seemingly unbeatable for far too long. Perfect example is Undertaker...far too long for the guy not to lose at Wrestlemania. Yes, I know he lost the last time.

Their writing has for lack of a better way to say it...jumped the shark.

They also started to keep some of the big stars seemingly unbeatable for far too long. Perfect example is Undertaker...far too long for the guy not to lose at Wrestlemania. Yes, I know he lost the last time.

In all honesty, all of your complaints are 180 degrees from mine.

I think the 50-50 booking has hurt the product. I know everyone is currently down on Reigns but what purpose did jobbing him out to Big Show serve last week?

The top stars are supposed to be unbeatable....right up to the point they are beaten.

Vince McMahon took over wrestling on the backs of three wrestlers who never ever lost - Hogan, Piper, and Andre.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

The WrestleMania 31 Main Event Has Changed Again And Is Definitely 100% Confirmed, Maybe:

According to Dave Meltzer, Vince McMahon recently changed his mind about the WrestleMania main event, with Daniel Bryan being added as the third person in 3-way match. The feeling after the Royal Rumble was that Vince McMahon would not want to do another triple threat match to headline their biggest show of the year, since they went that route last year. However, Vince McMahon heard the fan backlash to Roman Reigns loud and clear, held a meeting with top WWE officials and decided on Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan.