Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

34 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Austin's crippled ass come and out kick Lesnar's. But that's just me.

They need a full time champ with heat. What happened to Braun Strowman?

Strowman is a babyface teaming with kids now. 

Trying to get somebody over as a heel in a feud with Roman Reigns was never gonna work, cuz people enjoy seeing Reigns get beat up.  It just made him more popular as a face.

14 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Missed the Bruno Sammartino thread. RIP to a legend :( .

**** Brock Lesnar. Really sick of him being a Part-Time champion. Let’s try something else WWE.

Here is a brand new never done before idea that is 100% guaranteed to work.

A super fun party guy wrestler who comes out with a posse and dances a bunch. Then he wrestles....and then dances some more. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Here is a brand new never done before idea that is 100% guaranteed to work.

A super fun party guy wrestler who comes out with a posse and dances a bunch. Then he wrestles....and then dances some more. 

No way Jose. That won’t work.

36 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

No way Jose. That won’t work.

32 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It's so beyond stupid. Feel for the guy to get that gimmick. He probably is dying on the inside knowing his time will be short.

Man... I thought he was talking about Adam Rose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Austin's crippled ass come and out kick Lesnar's. But that's just me.

They need a full time champ with heat. What happened to Braun Strowman?

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

Strowman is a babyface teaming with kids now. 

Trying to get somebody over as a heel in a feud with Roman Reigns was never gonna work, cuz people enjoy seeing Reigns get beat up.  It just made him more popular as a face.

No, Stone Cold should only make special appearances, hand out a few stunners and drink beer from time to time.  Plus, Stone Colds neck most likely wouldn't hold up getting F5'd or taken to suplex city, making it as horrible of a match as when Goldberg beat him.  No more of that ****, imo.

As for Braun, I read an article that said Vince was pushing him big and is 100% involved in every gimmick they work with him, to the point of where they have had to go back and edit him out some of the taped promos because he would stick his head out, etc. to watch.  But with Vince behind him 100%, he will eventually get the strap.  The problem is, it will probably be later than sooner, since he is the tag team champs.  

There is no way they let Reigns beat Lesnar at The Greatest Royal Rumble this Friday.  Unless by interference.  Which they seem to get away from in title matches now, which also ticks me off.  I liked the good ole days of screw jobs, heal/face turns, etc., especially at the PPVs.  The only thing we can hope for is a short tag team title run and pushing Braun back into the title hunt and him beating Lesnar and starting a feud with him.  

I wouldn't mind seeing him hold both the tag team titles and universal championship, which won't happen.  

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It's so beyond stupid. Feel for the guy to get that gimmick. He probably is dying on the inside knowing his time will be short.

Adam Rose part 2.

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

Man... I thought he was talking about Adam Rose.

Yep.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He was always a smart guy. Shame they couldn't just let him speak from the beginning. He would be remembered a lot more fondly, I think, not that he isn't.

I think his speaking ultimately hurt him. He was so good as the mute monster.

If you think about it, he had the toughest job in wrestling history. There's been a zillion brother tag teams and ultimately, the brother who is the star can bring in a "new" brother and get them over eventually. But Kane had to:

1. Be the brother of a 7-foot iconic monster,

2. Come off as a threat to someone who was booked as damn near indestructible, and

3. Had to carry his load in a main event level match - not play a role in a tag match.

And he did it so well he lasted 20 years.

Fun fact: Dutch Mantel "discovered" both Undertaker and Kane and pretty much taught Steve Austin how to be a wrestler. In some ways, that dumb Zeb Coulter character was a well-deserved retirement gift from Vince.

49 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think his speaking ultimately hurt him. He was so good as the mute monster.

If you think about it, he had the toughest job in wrestling history. There's been a zillion brother tag teams and ultimately, the brother who is the star can bring in a "new" brother and get them over eventually. But Kane had to:

1. Be the brother of a 7-foot iconic monster,

2. Come off as a threat to someone who was booked as damn near indestructible, and

3. Had to carry his load in a main event level match - not play a role in a tag match.

And he did it so well he lasted 20 years.

Fun fact: Dutch Mantel "discovered" both Undertaker and Kane and pretty much taught Steve Austin how to be a wrestler. In some ways, that dumb Zeb Coulter character was a well-deserved retirement gift from Vince.

I think its understandeable that the speaking ultimately hurt him. We were so used to Kane the mute, that by the time that epic swerve happened, many people were going through Kane burnout (so much so that they reinvented him... I remember all those "The fire still burns " vignettes), and his character sort of stagnated. I think many people probably viewed that as a desperate attempt, and when it succeeded, it had a short shelf life. I remember him being thrown to mid card status after that angle with Taker concluded at WrestleMania XX. Not sure what else bappened as I stopped watching wrestling later that year (I think he got drafted to Raw),  but I think if they allowed to go more intellectual Sling Blade/Texas Chainsaw kind  of split between both worlds, he could have been even better.

Or they could have introduced his own creepy manager, who "unlocks" him after the psychological torment he endured at the hands of Taker, and he does the mute stuff for a bit, only to break, and go crazily sane.

Either way, I enjoyed him immensely. You touched on it, but  I think it often goes unappreciated, just how rare it is to see two monsters, basically wrestling like 240 lb all around wrestlers, diving off the top rope, suicide diving into crowds, dropkicking, etc.

Back in those days, iit seemed like f you were a giant, you were either too roided to move without one of them muscle smoke stacks springing a leak, or you were so beaten down from wrestling in the territories that when you got to the big time, you were very limited in what you could do, and even if you weren't, you couldn't make it look as smooth as those two.

Here's a question: ECW gets all the credit as the revolutionary 90s promotion. And I guess, in terms of presentation and memorable angles and nostalgia, it still feels that way. But the legacy of that company is probably drugs and early deaths.

On the other hand, Smoky Mountain Wrestling - which felt dated already in 1993 - feels like the one with the longer legacy that is simply never talked about. It introduced people who deeply impacted the industry for literally decades - Jericho, Kane, Storm, Candido, Sunny, Road Dogg, D-Lo Brown, Al Snow.

Aside from Chris and Tammy - who should have been huge WWE stars for decades - all those guys are still playing a role in either carrying promotions, booking, training, etc.

And I think I've said this before, but New Jack was never better than he was in SMW. His heat was scary heat, but at least he was trying to be a wrestler. In ECW, he realized that he could have an impact just by being a coked out dude who legit tried to hurt people.

Google his promo with Jim Ross from a live show in Knoxville where Ross looks legitimately disgusted and somewhat terrified.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 3:32 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here's a question: ECW gets all the credit as the revolutionary 90s promotion. And I guess, in terms of presentation and memorable angles and nostalgia, it still feels that way. But the legacy of that company is probably drugs and early deaths.

On the other hand, Smoky Mountain Wrestling - which felt dated already in 1993 - feels like the one with the longer legacy that is simply never talked about. It introduced people who deeply impacted the industry for literally decades - Jericho, Kane, Storm, Candido, Sunny, Road Dogg, D-Lo Brown, Al Snow.

Aside from Chris and Tammy - who should have been huge WWE stars for decades - all those guys are still playing a role in either carrying promotions, booking, training, etc.

And I think I've said this before, but New Jack was never better than he was in SMW. His heat was scary heat, but at least he was trying to be a wrestler. In ECW, he realized that he could have an impact just by being a coked out dude who legit tried to hurt people.

Google his promo with Jim Ross from a live show in Knoxville where Ross looks legitimately disgusted and somewhat terrified.

I still think ECW is the more impactful 90s promotion. 

SMW gave us a few wrestlers.  ECW changed the business.

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't making up that number:

1. He was involved in that Mass Transit incident that got them kicked off PPV. He damn near scalped that kid and he could have bled out.

2. To this day, I don't know how Vic Grimes didn't die from that scaffold fall. Jack freaking tazed him before that.

3. I don't know the guys name, but that indie dude who he legit stabbed 17 times in one match. That is genuinely uncomfortable to watch.

4. The Gypsy Joe match where neither guy is pulling back anything, except Jack is in his 40s and Joe is, like, 85.