Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I actually agree with Larry (in a way)

"95% of the oceans are still waiting to be discovered"

"Discovered" implies found. Found requires the bare minimum of observation. We've discovered/found every ocean on this planet. 

English is one of those languages that you have to be very careful nitpicking the exact definition of.  Checked out a couple non wiki sources, this is what Oxford says:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/discover

Find unexpectedly or during a search.

‘firemen discovered a body in the debris’

‘she discovered her lover in the arms of another woman’

1. 1.1 Become aware of (a fact or situation)
    ‘the courage to discover the truth and possibly be disappointed’

with clause ‘it was a relief to discover that he wasn't in’

2. 1.2 Be the first to find or observe (a place, substance, or scientific phenomenon)
    ‘Fleming discovered penicillin early in the twentieth century’

Yes, a lot of definitions involve finding for the first time, but in the context of the statement and flexibility of the word (that last one sounds a lot like explore in regards to observation), saying there's 95% of the ocean waiting to be directly observed adds up.  It was jus the other day we found what many are calling the 8th continent where New Zeland is, so whatever mapping we thought we did we missed an entire continent.  We also just found a coral reef the size of Deleware off the coast of Charleston.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/08/28/scientists-discovered-coral-reef-almost-long-delaware-hidden-off-coast-charleston/

We may have discovered the oceans, but there's still plenty more to discover about them.  We shouldn't be looking at the statement as not finding all the oceans because that's not what that was meant at all.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

English is one of those languages that you have to be very careful nitpicking the exact definition of.  Checked out a couple non wiki sources, this is what Oxford says:

2. 1.2 Be the first to find or observe (a place, substance, or scientific phenomenon)

Yes, a lot of definitions involve finding for the first time, but in the context of the statement and flexibility of the word (that last one sounds a lot like explore in regards to observation), saying there's 95% of the ocean waiting to be directly observed adds up.  It was jus the other day we found what many are calling the 8th continent where New Zeland is, so whatever mapping we thought we did we missed an entire continent.  We also just found a coral reef the size of Deleware off the coast of Charleston.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/08/28/scientists-discovered-coral-reef-almost-long-delaware-hidden-off-coast-charleston/

We may have discovered the oceans, but there's still plenty more to discover about them.  We shouldn't be looking at the statement as not finding all the oceans because that's not what that was meant at all.

I agree that's not what was meant, and that much should have been obvious.  But it was poorly written.  They should have described it to better state 95% of our oceans are unexplored.

12 minutes ago, China said:

I agree that's not what was meant, and that much should have been obvious.  But it was poorly written.  They should have described it to better state 95% of our oceans are unexplored.

Symantics at that point, I gave this the family test, they all laughed and kept it moving.

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

English is one of those languages that you have to be very careful nitpicking the exact definition of. 

Is this an accusation, or a general statement? It's not clear to me, considering your acknowledgement in the next paragraph pertaining to the many examples that support the definition. 

Checked out a couple non wiki sources, this is what Oxford says:

Yes, a lot of definitions involve finding for the first time, but in the context of the statement and flexibility of the word (that last one sounds a lot like explore in regards to observation), saying there's 95% of the ocean waiting to be directly observed adds up.  

Question:

Can you observe something without exploring it? Let's go back to that Oxford dictionary...

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/observe

Only one of those examples seems to imply anything remotely resembling "Exploration," which would lead me to say "Yes,"  which causes me to render the notion (in your opinion) of the flexibility of the word "Discover" rather inconclusive in my opinion.

saying there's 95% of the ocean waiting to be directly observed adds up.  It was jus the other day we found what many are calling the 8th continent where New Zeland is, so whatever mapping we thought we did we missed an entire continent.  We also just found a coral reef the size of Deleware off the coast of Charleston.

We may have discovered the oceans, but there's still plenty more to discover about them.  We shouldn't be looking at the statement as not finding all the oceans because that's not what that was meant at all.

Problem is that the quote wasn't "95% of the ocean hasnt been directly observed"  (which is your interpretation of their meaning). They said "Discovered." That is where the hang up is. I am not looking at the statement in any way other than exactly what they said.

I enjoy science, space, etc, but I also believe there is a higher standard that had to be set when talking about certain subjects, because the true meaning can easily be lost on people, leaving  us all to assign our own interpretation as to what we think they really meant. That is why I said that "In a way," I get what Larry is saying. I don't believe for a second that their statement is about not discovering all the oceans, but when you literally look at what they've said or written, it doesn't come across that way, and thats when things can get troublesome, especially when terms like discover, explore, etc can be so loosely applied sometimes (as I tried to illustrate in my initial post). I think it's the one realm where as little as possible should be left to interpretation.

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Don't take sand to the beach. 

Damn, that's actually very appropriate and a pretty awesome metaphor "lolol"

But yeah, the dude wasn't even really invited per se, he kinda just overheard we were going and decided to tag along. Hate people like that.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I was a helper once during peak season during my early college days at UPS.

We rolled up to this one driveway, and one of the biggest dogs I'd ever seen was stalking it, waiting for us. Might as well have been a bear. That was a maneater  (watch out boy, she'll chew you up [sax riff])

What'd you do? I mean, that dog probably treats pepper spray as seasoning.

10 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

What'd you do? I mean, that dog probably treats pepper spray as seasoning.

Homeowner met us. Barely had to leave the package car. If it got crazy would've had to take the L and hope  to survive to get a fat paycheck, or find a quick detour.

Talked with a lot of dude's back then, and whether it's delivering to properties with killer dogs, deliveries in the hood (one driver literally witnessed a drug deal gone bad and a guy got shot up), its all part of the game. Part of why those guys carry home a nice paycheck.

Archived