Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

5 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Not sure why this is such a surprise. Really creative people are kinda unstable. It's what gets them to go outside the current norms. 

Listening to it now and it's decent. Not garbage. So far.

Any true music fan knows about the 27 club and shouldn't be suprised, I agree.

5 minutes ago, China said:

There's a difference between superstition and pretty weird coincidence.  27 to me is an age where you've grown to a point you can do what you want and typically in your prime but still learning if you should still do it and why or why not.  You can point out that it wasn't meant to be taken literally, think that misses the point.

As for Art, I think that's in eye of the beholder.  Stuff like Pollock is hanging in museums right now.  I say if you give a **** about what you're doing, it counts, whether its good or not is a different conversation rooted in who's having it.

22 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

NBA - Jordan 

NFL - Favre (saw Sin picked him too - loved watching him play with a **** it attitude)

NCAAF - Charlie Ward (with my boy Neon Deion close second)

NCAAB - Jordan

MLB - Dale Murphy - was the only ray of light when the Braves were stuck in the abyss back in the 80s.  Then Greg Maddux.

NHL - The Great One

Golf - Lefty

Tennis - Aggasi

WWF - The Rock

WCW - Chris Jerrico 

Boxing - Angel Manfreddy, for heavyweights Iron Mike before it all went to ****

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

As for Art, I think that's in eye of the beholder.  Stuff like Pollock is hanging in museums right now.  I say if you give a **** about what you're doing, it counts, whether its good or not is a different conversation rooted in who's having it.

Lots of people create. A musician friend puts it well: Is it honest? Are you trying to say something with your song (Nina Simone) or just making stuff to earn a buck (Britney Spears)? Jackson Pollock's earlier paintings weren't abstract. He could paint figuratively and he did work that looked like Picasso's before going further and deconstructing the **** out of it completely.

I think whether a piece of art is good isn't really debateable and it's different than whether the viewer/listener likes it or not. 

13 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Lots of people create. A musician friend puts it well: Is it honest? Are you trying to say something with your song (Nina Simone) or just making stuff to earn a buck (Britney Spears)? Jackson Pollock's earlier paintings weren't abstract. He could paint figuratively and he did work that looked like Picasso's before going further and deconstructing the **** out of it completely.

I think whether a piece of art is good isn't really debateable and it's different than whether the viewer/listener likes it or not. 

Agreed.  My adding Pollock to the conversation wasn't meant to be a shot towards him, just a response to the finger paint comment someone else made.  I remember when my sister couldn't draw faces.  She got a book to teach her how to do it in middle school, next thing I know she's doing tattoos.  She can do stuff I can't, whether I like every piece she does is a completely different conversation.  I do believe people confuse whether they like something with whether its good or not all the time.

Archived