Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I've grown to hate children's books! I've read a lot of the same one's over and over for the past seven years. 

Get one that is fun to read for the parents too. Like Skippy Jon Jones—it's got fun rhyme and meter. 

The thing I hate about children's books is that they are written for "imaginary kids". Most don't use a normal syntax and pronouns. To make it clear for the "imaginary kid" they repeat the names to make sure it's clear who is speaking or who is doing the action. Makes sense. But it makes for an awful aloud read. 

I'd avoid all books based on tv characters (like Dora, or Diego). If it's for a girl, try to find one with a girl protagonist as there are not enough of those. 

My favorites are the Elephant and Pig Books and Rosie Revere Engineer series.

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

And his daughter will take the other half over time.  Trust me. I used to check his twitter all the time till he cheated on his wife.  I just don't have the same respect for him anymore. 

I admit that in the beginning i thought it was pretty low, but honestly, there were rumours going around about both of them at one point. Could easily be that she was getting around, letting dudes hydro thunder her, and he sought revenge. Or vice versa. She always seemed kinda strange, anyway.

At any rate, I feel bad for the kid. Growing up with your parents split up really sucks.

22 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

One of you have a suggestion for a book for a newborn ? Ugh...they don't want a card, they want books. Pretty cool, at the same time...how do I pick out a book for a kid ? ( Wife is going to a baby shower ) 

"How To Eat Fried Worms" and "The Wednesday Witch" are personal favorites.

5 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

He had a divorce, right? He probably lost 50% of his money. Unless he got a prenup, but even then he had to have paid out something. 

He should still have enough to live comfortably, he ain't starving. 

Reading on a tablet or kindle is a life saver. instead of lugging 4 different textbooks, just carry a tablet. 

26 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

He should still have enough to live comfortably, he ain't starving. 

Reading on a tablet or kindle is a life saver. instead of lugging 4 different textbooks, just carry a tablet. 

Textbooks too heavy, Muscles?

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why were almost all of the ships in star trek designed aerodynamically?

You're calling the Borg cube aerodynamic?!?

Lol nvrmind you said almost all...

Because they look cooler that way

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

You're calling the Borg cube aerodynamic?!?

Lol morning you said almost all...

Because they look cooler that way

That's why i said almost all, lol.

Yeah i know they'd look pretty stupid flying through space in a winnebago (unless you're name is lonestar) but it is pretty unnecessary. 

I don't even remember all the books i read as a kid. Read a bit of Curious George, but overall wasnt real big on the kiddy stuff. I read books on science/space exploration and comics. Then there was sports related stuff, and by 10/11 I started reading wrestling mags, then by 12/13, titty mags

21 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why were almost all of the ships in star trek designed aerodynamically?

Because space is not empty. There are lots of chunkss of rocks and ice floating around there. The "aerodynamic" shape isn't exactly for fluid dynamics but to allow space debris to only strike glancing blows to the bodies of the ships. This is also why fortifications, at some point, were created with angled sides—like the basis for the pentagon. This is important because they don't fly with shields up. 

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If it's ok to ask this question here, for anyone who ever visits the other site, BGO, do you know what its current status is, because the site seems to have been down for a while, and there's even indications it may be hacked.

I have an acct over there but don't post with any consistency. Not surprising. No disrespect to some of the ES og's over there, but the site doesn't seem to be well maintained

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If it's ok to ask this question here, for anyone who ever visits the other site, BGO, do you know what its current status is, because the site seems to have been down for a while, and there's even indications it may be hacked.

I've heard through the grapevine that VBulletin (their server support) is extremely loose, ES left it years ago (along with our black screen:angry:, LOL). 

36 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I have an acct over there but don't post with any consistency. Not surprising. No disrespect to some of the ES og's over there, but the site doesn't seem to be well maintained

32 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I've heard through the grapevine that VBulletin (their server support) is extremely loose, ES left it years ago (along with our black screen:angry:, LOL). 

Thanks, I appreciate both of your helpful insights

3 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Lil Enforcette watches those too...

Peppa Pig - I can work with.

I second Peppa Pig.  Took me a second to realize it was British, then they started talking about pounds for candy.  Honorable mention to Word Girl and Lab Rats.

Archived