Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

It's a bartender job, move on. Find a job you do like and doesn't have drama. If you have regulars, they'll follow you. If not, maybe you are the problem.

2 complaints in 5 years? You're not trying hard enough.

What kinda joint?

Don't run to the owner to tell on the chef for picking on you, he's the chef, you're just a bartender.

Funny thing about the biz. You get so emotionally invested in your job, but 5 minutes after you leave, you're forgotten.

so.. work related question. advice on how to handle it is appreciated.

if you have a job where your employers appreciate what you do, be thankful and continue to work hard.

I guess you know by now I've been in restaurants & bars since I got out of the Navy 30 years ago.

I was the first server hired (as head wait with a teensy hourly upgrade from $2.13), and I'm the last one standing where I am right now...the only server at lunch. And it's a big restaurant. When my nutbag owner lets people seat themselves, and I've got more ground to cover, it slows me down...and I'm still the fastest person in that entire place...I just turned 50.

1) You're covered under the Family Leave Act, I believe, for your missed time. Back in the 90s, I had to do 17 days in jail (don't ask), and my job was held for me with no repercussions with a very large corporation.

2) Everyone makes mistakes. My kitchen is comprised of people half my age, but a couple totally get the "listen to your elders" thing. They know nothing about the service end of things. Because I'm the only person they really have to "listen to", they can remember special instructions (I have to say, these guys are rare, and we're all sports buddies, so we have a "gel".)

3) Keep in mind, we haven't been open a year. I was a bartender/general manager in that same location for almost 10 years when it was a Mexican restaurant. I was told by one of my current owners, at the bar, in front of a guest, that if we've seen my clientele, we're up **** creek without a paddle (that was verbatim).

I cannot force my former clients & friends to eat there. Everyone knows where I am, and it's not that "no one comes to see me & help pay my bills".

I totally understand where you're coming from. Being close in the same boat, I'm at a loss myself. If it weren't for the fact that both of my owners will take direction:

"I just sat 2 tables, gotta get them going...can someone seat the folks at the door, please?"

"I've got a large pepperoni coming up, and 4 separate checks to clear, can you run it please?"

So, long story long, I can at least offer condolences, and thanks for what you do. Somebody's gotta feed the world. If we don't do it, who will?

I left the scene of an accident that I did not cause, and no one was hurt.  After the judge made sure that everyone with charges in the courtroom had their proper language interpreter, I was the first case called, and I think he was making a statement...even to homeowners with a job like me.

Funny thing was, it was a chain reaction accident, so the guy in front of me hit someone, I hit him, some guy hit me, etc etc...

And the guy who hit me in the rear tried to sue me (well, his insurance did) just because I left.  Judge told him he was an idiot, more or less...so justice did prevail on some level.

I knew I was gonna have to pay for the dude I hit.  But 17 days?  I thought that a little extreme, especially after explaining that I was a tax-paying single homeowner with a job...(you know, that nasty "contributing member of society").  I followed every answer with a "your honor".   :huh:    

Don't tell anyone else (I'd say for at least a year). Keeps the pressure off and helps you just focus on what's best for you. (my experience, after smoking for 10 years)

**** your pressure. I'm done.

I highly suggest Allen Carr the easy way to quit smoking. Really puts things in perspective.

I highly suggest Allen Carr the easy way to quit smoking. Really puts things in perspective.

I read the Allen Carr women's book.  There's no "how".  It's all "U Can Do It". 

I don't have 18 puppies.  If I did, quitting would be smokin' easy!

: ) Good luck.

Found his website, interesting indeed. I just started smoking less (was doing pack a day, then took only certain number of cigs to work with me, then stopped smoking around people that didn't smoke, stuff like that). Took a little under a year, I've been stopped for a couple years now.

I read the Allen Carr women's book. There's no "how". It's all "U Can Do It".

I don't have 18 puppies. If I did, quitting would be smokin' easy!

15 puppies, 3 dogs, 2 cats.

: ) Good luck.

Found his website, interesting indeed. I just started smoking less (was doing pack a day, then took only certain number of cigs to work with me, then stopped smoking around people that didn't smoke, stuff like that). Took a little under a year, I've been stopped for a couple now.

whateverworks right

Good luck, KB. dat nicotine pull is real. But you seem determined, and willpower conquers all.

no will power, just done being a smoker.

It's interesting. I'm over it.

Archived