Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Ok..this is pretty cool if you go through all the pictures and read the captions.

I wonder if people will go through pics of 2014 in a hundred years and think how backwards people lived???

http://www.sfgate.com/life/article/American-life-in-1914-How-we-lived-a-century-ago-5075997.php#photo-4449728

American life in 1914: How we lived a century ago

Ok..this is pretty cool if you go through all the pictures and read the captions.

I wonder if people will go through pics of 2014 in a hundred years and think how backwards people lived???

http://www.sfgate.com/life/article/American-life-in-1914-How-we-lived-a-century-ago-5075997.php#photo-4449728

American life in 1914: How we lived a century ago

Pretty cool stuff. Crazy how simple yet dangerous the times were then. Think about all those people that had to work in factories. We complain about work now, but I can't even imagine what they had to go through.

Pretty cool stuff. Crazy how simple yet dangerous the times were then. Think about all those people that had to work in factories. We complain about work now, but I can't even imagine what they had to go through.

Yeah, I still don't understand the reason for doing this...

628x471.jpg

Bert Dingley drives a car along a section of the immense aqueduct at Los Angeles, Calif. Photo: Topical Press Agency, Getty Images

I got Saints, Niners, Bengals, Chiefs...

Nah,  I want the Eagles to win.  I loathe them, so it would be fitting if they made it to Seattle and SMOKED them at home.

Then lose to the Niners in the NFC Championship game. 

To lose to Peyton.

I'd love to see him win another, just to cast another shadow on little brother.

Happy New Year fellow tailgaiters.

HTTR!

628x471.jpg

"A fifteen-year-old boy in Denison, Texas operating a dangerous boring machine at which he said a boy recently bored half his hand off. To operate this machine (which bores a large hole in the spade handle) the boy has to throw his whole weight onto the lever which pushes the handle (and himself) up against the unprotected borer. A slip might easily prove fatal."

And my neighbor caught an attitude with his mother because she asked him to take out the trash last night. I can hear the little bamma outside whining about it lol. We are so soft nowadays...

Just met Henry Conway, offensive lineman for Michigan State.  He and his family were walking around downtown LA, he asked me where the Radio Shack was.  I said I didn't know.  I asked him what his name was, he said Henry, and I said congratulations on winning the Rose Bowl.  True story.

And my neighbor caught an attitude with his mother because she asked him to take out the trash last night. I can hear the little bamma outside whining about it lol. We are so soft nowadays...

It's mostly because of options. People back in those days (and the days before) had very little choice. You had to be tough, or you'd die.

Thats what I tell people nowadays whenever the topic of "Today's ___" is brought up. Thousands of years of survivalist instinct hasn't gone anywhere. Things just have to get bad enough for today's people, and you'll see that same toughness come back. Having it easy isn't the same as being soft. But yeah, there are plenty of soft people out there, who have crutches that ensure that they'l be soft for their entire lives.

The world is much more forgiving nowadays than it used to be, where only the strong survived. You can learn to be tough... Sure. It's a lot easier when you are forced to though.

Yeah...my grandfather lost his left arm right below the shoulder in a machine in the early 1900's. He was left handed which obviously made it worse.

It's mostly because of options. People back in those days (and the days before) had very little choice. You had to be tough, or you'd die.

Thats what I tell people nowadays whenever the topic of "Today's ___" is brought up. Thousands of years of survivalist instinct hasn't gone anywhere. Things just have to get bad enough for today's people, and you'll see that same toughness come back. Having it easy isn't the same as being soft. But yeah, there are plenty of soft people out there, who have crutches that ensure that they'l be soft for their entire lives.

The world is much more forgiving nowadays than it used to be, where only the strong survived. You can learn to be tough... Sure. It's a lot easier when you are forced to though.

I feel the same way.

People are soft because they can be.  Mental toughness is forged and physical toughness is a grueling build up, not taken or bought.  Today, if you can't pay for it - most likely a majority of people won't have it.

And that's ok, until a global crisis hits and then only the strong survive.  Then only tough people left to breed....

I kid, I kid.

Thats why the toughest people come from the roughest neighborhoods. They developed that instinct, that ability to fight, every step of the way.

Kinda hard asking a kid that grows up with a trust fund in Beverly Hills (or a kid that grew up in the suburbs) to be tough like that. Apart form that, you learn from personal tragedy/hardship over the course of your life. Either that or you can be very book smart. Then you can avoid getting into situations where physical/mental toughness is truly necessary.

You can raise your kids to be tough as well. Thats what happened with me. You can coddle to a point, but by 10-11, it's man/woman time.

Crossing my fingers for a huge job interview / promotion coming up.

I'm just waiting for the word whether or not I get an interview.

Years of hard work, overtime, deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, CONUS all over the place all in support of corporate needs.

Now I want to become corporate, the last hurdle is this interview.  Potentially the last chance I will have for several years.

If I get the interview, I'm going to bust that door down and let all of them know that it is MY job. 

Just hope I get that call.....

Sometimes I wish I could be more positive.  My life is pretty good.  But I have so many things that I dwell on.  A couple really bad things that I can't even tell you guys.  Honestly I think I'm depressed.  But I will stay determined.  If there's one thing my grandfather taught me, it is to never give up.  Love you grandpa.

Find a therapist/medication, or talk  more with friends/family members.

Can't dwell on the past. Gotta live in the present. That's the only way to move forward. Everybody's got doubts, horrific memories, etc. The only thing that separates you from people is how you deal with them. 

Sometimes I wish I could be more positive. My life is pretty good. But I have so many things that I dwell on. A couple really bad things that I can't even tell you guys. Honestly I think I'm depressed. But I will stay determined. If there's one thing my grandfather taught me, it is to never give up. Love you grandpa.

Go to therapy. I started going again after a layoff from it and I forgot how helpful it really is. I honestly believe most people should go to it. All of us could use it, some more than others, but it's nice to have an outside perspective.

Go to therapy. I started going again after a layoff from it and I forgot how helpful it really is. I honestly believe most people should go to it. All of us could use it, some more than others, but it's nice to have an outside perspective.

Yeah, everyone needs it to a degree. One of the things I neglected to mention in my post about how tough things used to be, on the flipside, people with issues outside of their complete control were simply tagged as weak, or stupid. Therapy back then was the bottle for a lot of people. My grandfather was like that. You could tell things affected him but the guy just would show no emotion.

People are allowed to get in touch with their feelings more nowadays, and live  a higher quality of life. The stigma of seeing a shrink, or taking meds, is going away, and people are coming forward, instead of hiding it, or pretending nothing is wrong while they ridicule others.

I said it before in another thread, but once you get help, and are on the recovery road, it becomes easier to spot people who have the same issues. Its like an infection that attacks every part of the body. Can't hide it. It's in their face, their speech, their body language... Everything.

Definitely.  Have done it in the past.  Will do it again once I settle down a bit.  Dealing with some current strife as well- in the midst of trying to buy a house.  Stress is definitely playing a part.

I've had a headache for like 6 weeks, that isn't helping anything.

I was up at 5:13 a.m. when I made that post, couldn't sleep at all.  But at least the weekend is here!  Going to San Diego with my girlfriend, my mom is in town.  Have a good weekend everyone, I will be gone for a while.

Archived