Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Good article on the decline of SportsCenter. 

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/july/shaking-my-head-at-sportscenter.html

At first I accepted the LeBron segments. The Heat had won. They deserved some features and commentary and fine why not have these stupid panels of NBA analysts rehashing all things LeBron. That said, If the Spurs had closed out Game 6, you think the same craptastic panels would have been utilized to wax poetic about the Spurs? No way.

I thought maybe this could go on at most for a week, but it appears we'll have to endure at least three more days as SportsCenter is doing a 6 day "LeBron In Chapters" series that is only half way done.

Read that today too ix. And I agree with the whole article.

I watch SC out of habit. If there is nothing on that I really want to watch Saturday/Sunday mornings/week nights, I'll turn on SC.

It really has gone down hill as of late. I think the whole LeBron lovefest is annoying. Like the article mentions, do we really need to keep talking about LeBron 2 weeks after The Finals ended?

We're witnessing 2 great 1st half performances out of Cabrera and Davis, and you would never know from watching SC. For anything baseball related anymore, I just watch MLB Network. MLB Tonight is probably my favorite sports program to watch outside of the Redzone Channel. They just show constant baseball highlights and live look-ins all night. Plus they keep you up on all the latest news and provide pretty good analysis as well.

During the NFL season is probably when I watch the most ESPN because NFL Network is pretty bad. I really want to like Gameday Morning, but Sapp and Irvin annoy me to no end.

I talked about maricle fruit before. Everything you eat after it tastes sweet. There is a group having a hot sace competition that I have a beef with. If I made one with that fruit in it, everything after would be busted. Seriously considering it.

Ruben Studdard Will Compete On The Biggest Loser

Ruben Studdard has already won the title of American Idol. Now he may become The Biggest Loser. The "Velvet Teddy Bear," who won season 2 of the Fox singing competition in 2003, will compete on the NBC weight loss show as he attempts to battle his obesity - a task he has attempted previously with limited success. "I was losing weight, but I was exhausted. It was making me sick," the 35-year-old told People in 2006 after attempting an intense workout regimen on about 1,200 calories a day with trainer Gunnar Peterson. "I'm a big man. There was no way to do those workouts on that amount of food,

Good luck to the guy, but there is a reason why he was tired, and getting sick. Dude was destroying his immune system. It's not surprising to me that once again, a trainer shows that they know jack **** about weight loss. What is shocking is that he allowed Studdard to go off of so few calories, allowing him to slowly kill himself, while he exercised vigorously on top of it. Guy was legit starving himself, and any weight he did lose probably wasn't the right kind. 

No person should ever consume that few calories when trying to lose large amounts weight, unless they want to look like Christian Bale in The Machinist, or fit into a nice, slim coffin. No wonder he gave up hope. Going from one extreme to the other, basically overnight, can wreak havoc on your physical and mental health.

I just got a phishing PHONE CALL. 

Now, this is something new. 

Just got a phone call, on my cell phone.  It's a recording: 

"This is Community Bank and Trust.  Your debit card has been deactivated for possible fraud.  Press 1 to be connected to our reactivation center." 

I press 1.  (Probably a big mistake.) 

"This is the activation center.  To reactivate your debit card, please enter your full 16 digit card number, followed by the pound sign." 

----------

Now, I've never heard of Community Bank and Trust.  BUT, I just recently activated a debit card, at my credit union.  And I sent the card to my brother, in Canada, so that I could send him money.  So the idea that my weeks-old debit card might get deactivated because somebody's been withdrawing a lot of miney at ATMs in Canada is certainly possible. 

And it's certainly possible that my credit union's debit cards are actually processed via some other institution. 

But I ain't buying that the people who issued me my card, need me to give them the full 16 digits. 

I hang up.  Google the phone number.  Find a warning from some local police department in Illinois, announcing that it's a scam.  (No foolin.)

----------

Remember my Dad once telling me a story, about the days when he was an Instructor Pilot on B-25s. 

Dad explains that the B-25 (like many aircraft) has an intercom system.  All of the crew wear headsets, with microphones.  Puss a button, and you can talk to everybody else in the aircraft.  The aircraft radio system also feeds into the intercom system.  Incoming radio signals also feed the same system, and are heard by all of the crew. 

He also explains that, on the B-25, they've tried to keep the pilot's hands on the control yoke, by placing frequently-used controls on the control yoke.  For instance, if the pilot wants to talk on the intercom to the crew, he pushes a button that's on the yoke.  If he wants to talk on the radio, he pushes the button next to it, on the yoke.  (For convenience, whenever the pilot of copilot transmits on the radio, his voice also goes to the intercom.  If the pilot is talking to the control tower, then the copilot (and all of the crew) hears both sides of the conversation.) 

The squadron is on a cross country training mission.  They're flying across country, practicing flying formation and navigation and so forth.  And they're cruising along, conducting a simulated bombing run on Albuquerque, or some such. 

And a voice comes through my dad's headphones. 

"Yeah, I ****ed up that inspection, this morning.  And I ****ed up the paperwork on that maintenance problem.  And I ****ed up that exam on navigation, last week.  And I ****ed up with my girl, the other night." 

Somewhere in the squadron, some pilot (or copilot) is venting to the rest of the crew.  And he's pushing the wrong button on his yoke.  He thinks he's talking on the intercom, but he's actually transmitting on the radio.  And he doesn't know it, because everybody in the aircraft is hearing him, just like he was pushing the right button. 

My Dad is thinking "Yeah, and you're ****ing up now, too." 

And, nobody in the squadron can tell the guy that he's pushing the wrong button.  They're supposed to be practicing radio silence. 

So, Dad is trying to figure out how he can let the guy know what he's doing. 

When the voice of the tower comes in on his headset. 

"Unidentified aircraft.  Please repeat your identification." 

There's silence on the radio for several seconds. 

"I'm not THAT ****ed up." 

One of those days. I don't know what to do.

If it's something that you ****ed up, just learn from it and move on. Don't beat yourself up. If its something 100% completely out of your control... Then **** it. Not your problem. I don't drink anymore, so I personally can't say that. Maybe call up the gf/holla at one of those beautiful SoCal chicas, play some violent video games (the type where you cause apocalyptic mayhem, blowing **** up, and not feel guilty afterward), or watch a really good movie/tv show, or even call someone up and vent.

You could also work out (which tends to help me a lot) either in the morning or at the end of the day, if you have the energy. I find that I feel a little better (no matter how good or bad my day is) if I start my day with a good ass workout, or end it with one, releasing those lovely endorphins. Don't you train at an MMA gym? (maybe that was someone else). I'd head there to relieve some stress.

It's always good to have an outlet though. You don't want that stuff to build up and fester.

watching this 5 minute segment on the BET awards about dwyane wade's chariy work....i look at him totally different now. i respect the hell out of em for what he does for kids in the hood in chicago and south florida.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/07/01/Media/Sports-Media.aspx

Good article on the decline of highlight shows. No wonder ESPN resorts to putting analysis on Sportscenter instead of actual highlights. The Highlight show is largely dead. I guess I give credit to ESPN for evolving their show, although I'm not going to watch it. 

I think people like a little bit of analysis here and there. But for example, when ESPN breaks down an NFL game, I don't need to hear from 10 different people. Show me the highlights and then a quick break down. I don't need a 10 minute debate about it.

To me, ESPN has turned more into a Sports Bar than a Sports Network. If I want to debate someone about sports, I'll call one of my buddies or I'll log on here. I want to know what happened the night before and throw in some news.

A lot of shows today exist mainly to get a strong reaction from the audience, whether it be a good one or a bad one. They exist to take advantage of dumb, emotional people. Sports/sports talk is at the top of that list. People allow themselves to essentially be puppets on strings (getting worked up by people who know how to piss them off) whenever clips/segments are dedicated to someone they don't like. Nevermind what the person actually did, it's basically "They talk about them too much! **** [insert person' name]!"

Hatred is the strongest emotion there is. People will get caught up in it so much that instead of simply ignoring it, they want to see it fail. You see it with the Heat, you see it with guys like Floyd Mayweather, Tebow, RGIII, Tiger Woods, etc. People talk until they're blue in the face about how they hate this or that, but you bet your ass that they'll either watch, or try to find the latest news on it if they miss an episode, or a game. I remember some dude a couple years ago on here, starting a thread called "This Is Why I Hate First Take," and kept bumping the damn thing, every week. What they fail to understand is that their hatred is making people money.

The most damaging thing they could ever do is simply not care, and change the channel.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/07/01/Media/Sports-Media.aspx

Good article on the decline of highlight shows. No wonder ESPN resorts to putting analysis on Sportscenter instead of actual highlights. The Highlight show is largely dead. I guess I give credit to ESPN for evolving their show, although I'm not going to watch it. 

I think people like a little bit of analysis here and there. But for example, when ESPN breaks down an NFL game, I don't need to hear from 10 different people. Show me the highlights and then a quick break down. I don't need a 10 minute debate about it.

To me, ESPN has turned more into a Sports Bar than a Sports Network. If I want to debate someone about sports, I'll call one of my buddies or I'll log on here. I want to know what happened the night before and throw in some news.

Although I do enjoy the shows such as NFL matchup with Jaws and others breaking down some of the games. That said, it should be relegated to those shows and SC should just show the damn highlights.

That's why, I choose ESPN News 99 out of 100 times over SC.

Archived