Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Forgot how good Cheerios are. Cold skim milk. Nice little dinner for me.

I'm such a horrible procrastinator (or good procrastinator). Taking the GRE on 5/13 and haven't studied in the least. I feel pretty confident about the verbal/written part, math/quantitative not so much. I'll take a practice test tonight...or tomorrow. 

It's because crimes against women and children of either sex is extremely discounted and not taken seriously. Because we aren't men. And it's just sex, to which men are entitled even if taken by force.

Until this rape culture attitude changes and real penalties are enforced, it will continue.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore.

I sit down too much and it results in me being super stiff. I have to stretch for like 20 minutes to get loose before any sort of physical activity. Would like to be on my feet a little more. Not all day but at least for small periods of time.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I sit down too much and it results in me being super stiff. I have to stretch for like 20 minutes to get loose before any sort of physical activity. Would like to be on my feet a little more. Not all day but at least for small periods of time.

Not what I expected from someone who plays volleyball much as you.  Are you barely actively except when you go play?  @Mr. Sinister right and I'd recommend regular close to daily activity or exercise if you arent already.  Good and bad, think about it, can tell you first person I installed one for their doctor basically prescribed it, you dont sound at that point.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Meh, if you get it in at the gym, I don't see the need.

Sitting for extended periods might just be the worst thing you can do for your body. More power to you. I’d get one too if it were t so expensive.

4 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Sitting for extended periods might just be the worst thing you can do for your body. More power to you. I’d get one too if it were t so expensive.

No offense, buy I think not exercising and not eating right, and leading a largely sedentary lifestyle is the worst thing you can do to your body, which is why I said that if he isn't doing that, then I get it.

The amount of exercise you need if you're working in a chair is trivial by comparison to someone who does little to no exercise at all, and then sits in a chair. That's why, for the most part, people recommend just taking the stairs, or getting up and stretching and walking around.

I think the reason this is becoming a problem, directly correlates with obesity in America. People, in general, are not exercising and eating right. When you then sit down all day, I believe that is when things get dangerous.

So again, if one is getting a good daily workout, etc, and isn't disabled to some capacity (or a lot older, where maybe you can't get around like you used to, it just doesn't seem necessary.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I stood in line 45 minutes at the DMV yesterday morning.  Not once did I think to myself "Damn, I wish I had a desk here so I could do work."

I understand where you're coming from in regards to being stiff, etc but I just can't relate on the standing desk thing.

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

No offense, buy I think not exercising and not eating right, and leading a largely sedentary lifestyle is the worst thing you can do to your body, which is why I said that if he isn't doing that, then I get it.

The amount of exercise you need if you're working in a chair is trivial by comparison to someone who does little to no exercise at all, and then sits in a chair. That's why, for the most part, people recommend just taking the stairs, or getting up and stretching and walking around.

I think the reason this is becoming a problem, directly correlates with obesity in America. People, in general, are not exercising and eating right. When you then sit down all day, I believe that is when things get dangerous.

So again, if one is getting a good daily workout, etc, and isn't disabled to some capacity (or a lot older, where maybe you can't get around like you used to, it just doesn't seem necessary.

Preach.  And smoking, too.  

I’m sure you believe that but the new studies suggest otherwise. Some studies agree, in part, with what you say: sitting for hours can be offset by intense, vigorous exercise daily. 

But other studies show that in workers who have similar diet and lifestyle, whether they sit for extended periods (drivers, etc) vs people on their feet-the sitter’s are 2x more likely to die of heart disease early. 

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I’m sure you believe that but the new studies suggest otherwise. Some studies agree, in part, with what you say: sitting for hours can be offset by intense, vigorous exercise daily. 

But other studies show that in workers who have similar diet and lifestyle, whether they sit for extended periods (drivers, etc) vs people on their feet-the sitter’s are 2x more likely to die of heart disease early. 

I know people eho drive for work, and the majority of them are in shape.

Sounds fairly subjective. "Similar diet and lifestyle" doesn't sound like "Comparing 2 people who both eat right and exercise."

I mean, sure, if you compare them then, the one that sits less may come out ahead somewhere, but I seriously doubt it's that substantial.

People come out with all kinds of one sided/incomplete studies all the time. Not sauing its a hundred percent false, but it just doesn't seem to be accounting for all of the horrible things people do to their bodies in 2019 America.

Eating right, exercising, getting appropriate sleep, etc (and getting up and stretching) should be enough. 

Archived