Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - LaVar's last stand? (Discusses Possible Retirement)

JimmiJo

I will speak no more of this, other than to remind you that this interview took place in LA's house, this week. Again, if any writer gets an offer to go to the nedia darling's house for an exclusive interview, he is going.

The reason he's the media darling is because the local press knows he's dumb enough to let soundbytes like these slip out when the spotlight stops focusing on him for more than five minutes.

For a while, the focus got off LaVar and got onto the 'Skins as a whole team. That must have been killing him inside. He went from being the face of a losing team to a "mere" part of a winning team.

Same with this writer. Why write this now? Why not focus on any of the dozen other issues facing the team this week that actually affect the team and it's playoff hopes? I'm a writer - I know this person has a job to do. But I'm just questioning the timing on this article and the intentions of the writer.

He went after a feeble-minded, egotistical player who had the spotlight pointed away from him and wanted to get it back. It was like dangling a carrot in front of a rabbit.

If LaVar had just a fraction of that ego, he'd have done what was best for the team and his brothers on-the-field.

The local media loves stirring up trouble with this team. LaVar isn't smart or humble enough to ignore the bait.

And just like clockwork...

You can always count on Lavar to be Lavar. Who says the man is inconsistent?

I've repeatedly forecasted these events for almost a year now. And I got labeled a "hater." Why? For telling it like it is? There are no Lavar haters. There are only suckers who have bought his tripe hook, line, and sinker.

Even the most ardent Lavar supporter can't justify the timing of this latest outburst. Even if you believe that he's 100% right about what he's saying and can prove it all beyond a reasonable doubt, you can't ever, ever justify the timing here. All of this crap could be hashed out the day after the season ends. Unless of course, you have a mental illness. :)

I am so tired of hearing this ******* and moaning out of Lavar. I will be glad to see him go as long as we get something in return. We obviously proved last year with our defense that we don't need him at all to be successful. We finished last year with the 3rd ranked D and Lavar barely played a snap last year. The Redskins don't have time to deal with his crying and moaning about $6.5 million while he sits in his "palace." Shut up and don't let the door hit you on the way out Lavar.

:mad:

I think Lavar's role will increase now that Clemon's has been placed on IR. I never understood rushing Clemons instead of Arrington anyhow. You guys realize he gets goaded into these interviews, don't you? He is still a realatively young guy. Young people, like old, make mistakes. He could've been misquoted too.

Everybody knew the writing was on the wall....by trading Latoe for Moss they couldn't cut Lavar this past offseason....if we didn't get Moss... Lavar would have been gone simple.....Lavar was dogged by management that is clear....if he retires he will always be one of the best Redskins.....but who could turn down the money...Barry Sanders did it so who knows maybe.... I can't be mad at him....the timing is off for the article....but who knows when the writer showed up for the interview...

Every single local news writer and reporter would have run this story. This is big news around here and there is no way this would have been shelved. Any thoughts to the contrary are fantasy.

LaVar knows what comments such as these will bring, please stop blaming the writer. This took place in LaVar's house! Who do think arranged that?

I totally disagree ... and I blame the writer because there has to be some kind of ethical responsibility when reporting....UNLESS, you write for tabloid or magazine ...

Furtherrmore, I would not be complaining about the timing and motives of this article if it was coming from the USA Today, or ESPN magazine ...but a local paper? He has to be more sensitive about the team and city he writes for.

I don't buy that "they are just trying to make money argumment." The fur coat industry is a busniess and they are just trying to make money, does it make it right for them to do what they do? should we not have a reason to complain about it because it is "business" I don't think so.

I blame the writer and not so much Lavar because in the end I would say Lavar cares about his fans and the Skins more than this guy who wrote this thing up ... so in other words until I'm told different I believe this was written some what out of context and I believe that Lavar, if he had a say, would not have want this to come out now ...

Here's a conspiracy for everyone to try on for size.

Daniel Snyder asks the Washinton Times (the newspaper he is closer with) to run a piece like this to rally support among the fan base so that we'll feel better about things when he is cut in the offseason.

:paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

Same with this writer. Why write this now? Why not focus on any of the dozen other issues facing the team this week that actually affect the team and it's playoff hopes? I'm a writer - I know this person has a job to do. But I'm just questioning the timing on this article and the intentions of the writer.

Are you kidding me? With the way that Lavar loves to speak his mind, do you really think any writer in their right mind would risk someone else breaking this story? Fine, maybe you have a point about the offensive name, but with this you don't have a leg to stand on.

As for Lavar....Just when I thought he got it, and finally figured out how to JUST SHUT UP, his gums go a'flappin' again. What the hell is wrong with him? Why can't he just shut it until the end of the season. :mad:

There is something of a dated feel to it. But, I can't believe Elfin would write a canned piece like this now either. It'd destroy him in the locker room with guys if they thought he'd write something like this in the middle of a playoff run.

I hope it was Elfin being a tool not Lavar making these comments recently.

He wrote that piece last week about how the "Giants aim to honor owners"

right before our game with them. So I wouldn't put it past him. I'm thinking he's a elfin trouble maker!! :D

What is David Elfin (WT)trying to do, revive the emotions they had in week 8.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/spor...21230-4013r.htm

I'm sorry their owners passed away, really I am.

But why that article NOW!!!

It's going to be too loud to pull that emotional trump card.

I think the Times article is old information. I watch all of the CSN interviews and Lavar has been positive about the team for more than a month. Even while he was missing the past two games, his interviews were still positive. It's the time of year when stories are minimal. Gibbs has said time and time again, that the team is focused and they don't say much at practice because they are all focused on the task at hand. I can't see how the guys would suddenly open up to the media and break their concentration. The interviews of late with Lavar have been brief and contain positive messages. This looks to me to be remaining sound bites from earlier in the season. The "I don't know why I'm not playing" era.

He has to be more sensitive about the team and city he writes for.

Then it would destroy a reporters objectivity, he has to reporte as it happens not what the people want to hear

If Lavar gave this interview in the past week then Lavar is a jerk

If he gave it back in Octoberr then the reporter is the jerk

I don't buy that "they are just trying to make money argumment." The fur coat industry is a busniess and they are just trying to make money, does it make it right for them to do what they do? should we not have a reason to complain about it because it is "business" I don't think so.

Dude, what in sam hill are you talking about?

I'm pretty shocked that so many people are in favor of having a newspaper sit on a news story until it's convenient for the newsmakers.

Reading the article, I agree with JimmiJo and others--significant portions of the article are new. You absolutely cannot blame the Times for writing and releasing the story.

The article sounds like it started as a "what's your future with the Redskins" type story and Arrington, ever so smart, had all the freedom in the world to defer that line of questioning to the offseason. He shoulders the responsibility of keeping this out of the papers and off of the TV. The minute he opens his mouth to speak on the topic, however, it is the responsibility of the journalist to report what he says.

It doesn't matter that they're the local rag. They shouldn't exist to prop up the home team unless they're laying this out on the editorial pages.

And really, given his history (and his shrewd manipulation of fans and media throughout his career), is this really that out of character?

Here's a conspiracy for everyone to try on for size.

Daniel Snyder asks the Washinton Times (the newspaper he is closer with) to run a piece like this to rally support among the fan base so that we'll feel better about things when he is cut in the offseason.

:paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

WOW! That doesn't sound right at all, the 12 million he's slated to get is good enough reason with the cap. :no: :no:

WOW! That doesn't sound right at all, the 12 million he's slated to get is good enough reason with the cap. :no: :no:

I don't REALLY believe it... just throwing it out there to hear thoughts on it. But given the Danny's history of marketing this team I wouldn't rule anything out ;)

On another note, aren't we about the same cap wise if we cut LA or keep him? If we cut him, his original signing bonus is accelerated to all hit next year. If we keep him... although we end up paying him more $$, the cap hit is about the same because the bonus is pro-rated for another year.

Again, I'm no cap expert, but it seems like I've heard this.

Just goes to show you that since the Gibbs regime has come to town they have made numerous bad choices.

Lavarr Arrington

Champ Bailey

James Thrash - Although he is back with us now

Patrick Ramsey

The Redskins have always in my heart been a "CLASS ACT" but since Daniel Snyder has taken over this team, they have lost it all.

We sit here week after week doing what ? Routing for our beloved Redskins. For what ? Oh yeah, $7.50 cup of beer, $7.00 hamburger, $25.00 parking etc......This is what this team is all about and with Mr. Snyder, this is all you will get. I have lost it for the Redskins. ITS ALL ABOUT CHARACTER and Lavarr has the character and heart. I only wish the best for this man and his family. Hopefully if you are reading this Lavarr.......My hat is off to ya. May God bless you and your family. YOU ARE A CLASS ACT. PERIOD

I don't REALLY believe it... just throwing it out there to hear thoughts on it. But given the Danny's history of marketing this team I wouldn't rule anything out ;)

On another note, aren't we about the same cap wise if we cut LA or keep him? If we cut him, his original signing bonus is accelerated to all hit next year. If we keep him... although we end up paying him more $$, the cap hit is about the same because the bonus is pro-rated for another year.

Again, I'm no cap expert, but it seems like I've heard this.

If we cut him after June 1, we defer much of the hit until the following (as of right now uncapped) year.

Just goes to show you that since the Gibbs regime has come to town they have made numerous bad choices.

Lavarr Arrington

Champ Bailey

Patrick Ramsey

The Redskins have always in my heart been a "CLASS ACT" but since Daniel Snyder has taken over this team, they have lost it all.

We sit here week after week doing what ? Routing for our beloved Redskins. For what ? Oh yeah, $7.50 cup of beer, $7.00 hamburger, $25.00 parking etc......This is what this team is all about and with Mr. Snyder, this is all you will get. I have lost it for the Redskins. ITS ALL ABOUT CHARACTER and Lavarr has the character and heart. I only wish the best for this man and his family. Hopefully if you are reading this Lavarr.......My hat is off to ya. May God bless you and your family. YOU ARE A CLASS ACT. PERIOD

Really, well how about a winning record and bonafide shot at the postseason for the first time since 1999? Is that good enough choices for you?

Look at results, and try not to get caught up in the small stuff.

Lavarr Arrington

Champ Bailey

Patrick Ramsey

In the wise words of David Letterman:

"Mom! Is that you?"

Lavarr Arrington

Champ Bailey

Patrick Ramsey

Those were all moves made pre-Gibbs. If you take a look back over the past couple years, Gibbs has been cleaning up those moves. He got Thrash back, too.

It is not Joe Gibbs' fault that Dan Snyder has decided to sink his money and the team's cap future into the wrong positions and even more importantly the wrong players.

Any franchise who would make their 'franchise player' a linebacker is destined to fail. That kind of money should only be spent on the quarterback position... and to a lesser extent the RB position.

Lavarr Arrington

Champ Bailey

Patrick Ramsey

Lavar Arrington is a bipolar player. Just listen to his interviews on the John Thompson Show. Bailey got us Portis a top5 back, and our secondary is one of the best in the league still, James Thrash is a average player, and Gibbs brought him back, and Ramsey is just not the best QB on the roster yet. So what are you talking about?

7 dollar hamburgers ? Have u been to a md college football game? the hambugers are 5 dollars. What do u expect? Its big buisnuss. The only thing i do not like is the parking prices. It makes it hard for me to go to the games

Archived