Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - LaVar's last stand? (Discusses Possible Retirement)

JimmiJo

"I found myself for the first time this season on Saturday. I was like, 'I could care less what people think about me or what they say. I'm just going to be me.' And I think it showed."

It's the "Saturday" comment that makes me feel it's a recent interview...yet bringing up how he didn't play in a game on October 9th makes it sound like it was an interview given in the past.

actually in rereading it, that sounds like the case. what a ****ty time to release an article like this. why would the times want to do anything to mess with the teams' mindstate right now? this is crap.

We'll know tomorrow because of the exquisite timing of the article - on the eve of the Joe Gibbs Wednesday news conference.

However, as a writer, I can tell you that I cannot believe ayone would sit on something this explosive. It's not like he has to check a source. If anything he would have asked the team for comment, and stated as such if they denied one.

I find it funny he says all of this after saying the following.

"I just think that everybody believes now," linebacker LaVar Arrington said. "And when you get a situation where everybody believes in the same thing, and you get the momentum going in one direction, I've said it all along: We've got a special group of guys. This is a special mix we have, and to not take advantage of that is a crime. And I think guys really focused in that we were letting the season slip away."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/27/AR2005122700960.html

Make up your mind Lavar.

This guy is smart to persue the 6.5 million because he knows that he sucks and is not worth the big bucks anymore. If he was that special, the redskins would have given him the money anyways, but he's not, and hes too stupid to understand that he signed a contract negating the bonus he always brings up after he's feeling down on himself.

The second paragraph, which reads:

"It's not a given that I'll continue playing if the Redskins get rid of me," the 27-year-old linebacker says, sitting in the dining room of his majestic, 20,000-square-foot mansion east of Annapolis. "I don't really want to play for anyone else. I don't feel bad about it. I've had my time. I'm capable of doing other things besides football."

Implies that this was a private interview at Arrington's home. For whatever reason, Arrington wanted to get this story out, and at this time.

There is something of a dated feel to it. But, I can't believe Elfin would write a canned piece like this now either. It'd destroy him in the locker room with guys if they thought he'd write something like this in the middle of a playoff run.

I hope it was Elfin being a tool not Lavar making these comments recently.

I see your point with it also. It just could be Lavar being well Lavar, nothing has ever been easy with him since the Redskins drafted him

Most likely, it is something in the middle

There is something of a dated feel to it. But, I can't believe Elfin would write a canned piece like this now either. It'd destroy him in the locker room with guys if they thought he'd write something like this in the middle of a playoff run.

I hope it was Elfin being a tool not Lavar making these comments recently.

Either some of the quotes are dated or Elfin's a bigger tool then I ever thought he could be. No matter how bad you want to sell newspapers, this isn't what you publish when a team is about embark on a playoff run for the first time in forever.

That said, here's a few quotes that make it seem fresh & new.

"It's not a given that I'll continue playing if the Redskins get rid of me," the 27-year-old linebacker says, sitting in the dining room of his majestic, 20,000-square-foot mansion east of Annapolis.
There also is an all-pink baby room: Arrington and his wife, Trishia, are awaiting the birth of their first child, Marlee, around Jan. 15.

Also notice that there are no quotes from Lavar on the playing for the Chargers. Elfin writes it as though Lavar said it, but there are no direct quotes from Lavar to back it up.

But Arrington says nothing necessarily will keep him in pads and cleats next season. Not the prospect of playing in San Diego for his favorite coaches, ex-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer and assistant Greg Manusky. Not the prospect of playing for the Chargers alongside former Maryland linebacker Shawne Merriman, the protege Arrington calls "my baby boy."

Arrington might have few good options: Two NFL scouts agree he is damaged goods since he hasn't been a healthy, full-time starter since 2003.

"No team is going to take on that contract," one said. "LaVar's going to have to sign the best one-year deal he can get and show everybody that he's back to his old self to get another big contract."

Arrington says he would seriously consider playing for the Chargers and a few other teams but that he's already looking beyond football.

We'll know tomorrow because of the exquisite timing of the article - on the eve of the Joe Gibbs Wednesday news conference.

However, as a writer, I can tell you that I cannot believe ayone would sit on something this explosive. It's not like he has to check a source. If anything he would have asked the team for comment, and stated as such if they denied one.

But this part doesn't make sense:

""Obviously, using me sparingly or not at all is a very clear message," says Arrington, who did not play despite suiting up for an Oct. 9 loss to the Denver Broncos."

Why in the world would ANY writer feel the need to bring up not playing in a game almost three months ago?? Or is he trying to imply that Arrington brought it up or is still upset about it? If so, why not quote Arrington himself saying so? Not to mention having to go back almost three months to give an example of LaVar being used "sparingly or not at all"...if that were truly Arrington's feelings as of this morning, wouldn't you think some mention of recent playing time would be more appropriate?

Dunno, seems like a mishmash of facts, quotes and interviews from the entire season...Not to mention that the ONLY thing that is even remotely "explosive" about this article is the timing, not the content. Arrington's gripes about not being used and how the team saw him were all over the damn place a few months ago.

I see your point with it also. It just could be Lavar being well Lavar, nothing has ever been easy with him since the Redskins drafted him

Most likely, it is something in the middle

I think Lavar more than any other Redskin save Brunell understands the impact in the media this type of story can have. He knows how the fans feel about him. He knows that he is big news. I am coming to believe that most of this is very recent and that further he knows what impact it could have.

Obviously, using me sparingly or not at all is a very clear message

Wait Lavar has been starting the past 7-8 weeks (except 2 games missed for his thigh) and started Saturday.

His interview with JT monday was all family atmosphere, the WP had positive quotes

"I just think that everybody believes now," linebacker LaVar Arrington said. "And when you get a situation where everybody believes in the same thing, and you get the momentum going in one direction, I've said it all along: We've got a special group of guys. This is a special mix we have, and to not take advantage of that is a crime. And I think guys really focused in that we were letting the season slip away."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/27/AR2005122700960.html

Arrington Is Confident About Where Team Ranks

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 28, 2005; Page E04

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2000024

For an indication of how far the Washington Redskins have come, at least in attitude, consider the words of linebacker LaVar Arrington, who believes the team has earned the right to start thinking big.

Arrington makes a case for the Redskins in a fairly wide-open NFC race, pointing out that they've beaten the conference's top two seeds, Seattle and Chicago, at FedEx Field.

If the Redskins win at Philadelphia and the Giants lose their finale, the Redskins would win the division under the tiebreaker rules.

If the division ends in a three-way tie, the Redskins would win the tiebreakers.

Wild Card

The Redskins, who currently are the sixth seed, hold their playoff hopes in their own hands. If they win their final game, they would secure a postseason berth. The Redskins hold tiebreaker advantages over the Cowboys and Vikings. There are seven teams going after five spots.

"When you think about all the other things we've had to endure through and accomplish, you realize this is a special group," he said. "It is a group that believes in itself, believes in the mission."

ths is an old interview like Art /TK said

Wait Lavar has been starting the past 7-8 weeks (except 2 games missed for his thigh) and started Saturday.

His interview with JT monday was all family atmosphere, the WP had positive quotes

We'll see tomorrow, but I think the body of it is new.

You know, if Elfin wanted to do a private interview with Lavar, the PR guys would've set up a private area for them to talk at the park.

If Lavar wanted to politic through the media, he'd invite a writer over for an exclusive.

Where does it read like this took place at?

"The Redskins are on the verge of their first playoff berth in Arrington's six seasons. He's back in his accustomed spot as the weak-side linebacker, as he has been every week that he's been healthy since Nov. 5 (he missed December wins over Arizona and Dallas because of a bruised thigh).

He has made just 38 tackles. Because he rarely plays on third down, Arrington doesn't have a sack. However, he says he's not unhappy with his role.

"At some point during that six-game drought when I wasn't playing much, I lost my mojo," Arrington says. "I accepted being on the bench for the good of the team. But I shouldn't have. I was like, 'Is this the way my career is going to end?'

"I found myself for the first time this season on Saturday. I was like, 'I could care less what people think about me or what they say. I'm just going to be me.' And I think it showed.""

This is all new copy and NEW quotes.

Sorry, but I am positive that this is mostly new.

Two things:

One: This is the Washington TIMES, people. It's the little-brother newspaper. It's not relevant. And irrelevant newspapers are ALWAYS trying to do something sensational. It would not surprise me if this is from an old interview.

Two: Even if it's a new interview, this means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. LaVar Arrington is not an idiot. His agents may have been in the past, but the man is no fool. It's a cold, hard fact that the Redskins can't afford a large roster bonus against a single-season of the cap. NFL contracts are DELIBERATELY written with those obnoxious bonuses in them after a few years.

Why?

Because players ALWAYS want the option to re-structure their deals. Players (and agents) ALWAYS want an excuse to have another big payday.

LaVar KNOWS his deal needs to be restructured. And this is his way of saying, "OK, Danny-boy... you got one over on my idiot agent with that $6.5 million last year... but you're going to pay me that money now... with interest."

LaVar's deal will be restructured. His roster bonus will be converted to a new (and, likely, larger) signing bonus over a fresh long-term deal. Everyone will shake hands and smile for the cameras. And we'll soon forget there was ever a problem.

Either that, or LaVar is A)Clinically Stupid, or, B)Seriously Bitter, and really DOES want to get cut, and try his luck on the free agent market. Possible, but not likely.

I read all the posts before responding. I had noted the same disjointed and conflicting reactions to the time-frame of Lavar's quotes. I am going to have to wait for further investigation. But I have a suspicion based on history. Somewhere in this mix, the Times or Lavar, or both perhaps, will be guilty of sucking. No matter what, love the timing :doh: .

You know, if Elfin wanted to do a private interview with Lavar, the PR guys would've set up a private area for them to talk at the park.

If Lavar wanted to politic through the media, he'd invite a writer over for an exclusive.

Where does it read like this took place at?

Exactly. Now what does this mean...

Arrington, who is (was) likely to play nearly every snap on Sunday with Clemons out now, decides to advertise his departure from the Redskins in the offseason. To increase interest around the league, he creates a media stir, and thus, creates a stage set up for himself to produce his best game of the season on Sunday, against a severely limited Eagles offense.

It all fits ;)

And I'm off to bed... Hopefully it'll all make some sense in the morning...

One of you guys who keeps screaming to 'Trust Gibbs' clue us new guys in..

How will Coach handle this? What will the impact be on the team? I can't sleep now!

He's going to say that he is a bit surprised to hear that LaVar said these things, that they have not even looked at the contract situation yet, and that he and LaVar have gotten along fine and have had some real good talks.

He may intimate that right now the only thing the TEAM is focused on is this week.

Either that, or he will do something else entirely...

GREAT TIMING LAVAR AND WASHINGTON TIMES!!!

5 days before the biggest most meaningful game for the Redskins in a VERY long time. This really ticks me off. I don't know what to think of Lavar anymore. If he had anything to do with this article coming out NOW...I hope he's canned right after the front office reads the article. I mean CRAP...right now of all times!!! WHY COULDN'T YOU WAIT UNTIL THE SEASON WAS OVER??!! DAMNIT!!!! :mad:

AND SCREW THE WASHINGTON TIMES FOR RUNNING THIS ARTICLE RIGHT BEFORE THIS GAME!! IT'S CLEAR WHAT THEIR INTENTION IS BY DOING THIS!! :mad: :doh:

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Justin

aka UltimateSkinsFan

(proud son of a WWII ETO Vet)

Archived