Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - LaVar's last stand? (Discusses Possible Retirement)

JimmiJo

busted, LaVar has said repeatedly, in recent weeks, he was wrong, that he wasn't fully healthy like thought, and the coach bringing him in slowly was the right thing to do

True...Very confusing. Oh well, Lavar's real freelancing problem seems to be saying every thought that runs through his head without the discipline of reflection.

Boy, like everyone said, great timing. We have been lucky enough to have players that dont seem to cause much lockerroom trouble, or we have dealt with it (coles and gardner). Why this? Why now?

I believe what he is saying, the fact that he wants to be a skin but doesnt think its going to happen. Looking at some post game interviews of the giants game, he had a very lackluster enthusiasm for the skins situation regarding playoffs.

Can someone tell me the problem lavar is having? I know the whole benching and his part in the D, and there was some other contract stuff.. but can i get a thorough explanation of this?

There is something of a dated feel to it. But, I can't believe Elfin would write a canned piece like this now either. It'd destroy him in the locker room with guys if they thought he'd write something like this in the middle of a playoff run.

I hope it was Elfin being a tool not Lavar making these comments recently.

You might be right but LA mentions Saturday in the middle of his quote....

i dont honestly care.....with or without Lavar we Need to focus and we will win without him or with him....if this interview was recent and this is how he feels then send him off to hang out with TO this wweekend and get his poisen ass out of the locker room......he gets paid weather he plays or sits....weather he is hurt or healthy.....if you play this game because you "love it" and its still a "game" to you then why piss and moan about the 6 mill...we dont need me or I players.....win or lose if this is how he feels then I have two word for you lavar.....good-bye!

Lets see how it reads with just the quotes.

"It's not a given that I'll continue playing if the Redskins get rid of me," the 27-year-old linebacker says, sitting in the dining room of his majestic, 20,000-square-foot mansion east of Annapolis. "I don't really want to play for anyone else. I don't feel bad about it. I've had my time. I'm capable of doing other things besides football."
"It's crazy and unfair that something I had very little to do with derailed my relationship with management," Arrington says. "You see they're not marketing you anymore. You see people interacting with other people the way they used to interact with you. I watched how things were with Stephen Davis. I watched how things were with Champ [bailey]. I saw the same things happening to me.

"I restructured my contract to help the Redskins. Do you think I'm going to do that now? Of course not."

The part in red is dated back to the contract dispute. The mention on Davis & Bailey may be new. Perhaps as he was reflecting on the earlier comment. Or it may be just as old as the rest of the quote. Anyone know for sure?

"Obviously, using me sparingly or not at all is a very clear message," says Arrington, who did not play despite suiting up for an Oct. 9 loss to the Denver Broncos. "I'm not wanted here. I believe in my heart that the Redskins faithful love me as Ravens fans love Ray Lewis or Packers fans love Brett Favre. Some individuals hate it that there are more of my jerseys in the stands than anyone else's."

Elfin throws in the Oct 9 line & the rest of this is dated back to that time period.

"I didn't plan to move this far from Redskin Park," Arrington says. "I looked all over Virginia and Maryland for this type of setup. But I wanted to be near the water."
"At some point during that six-game drought when I wasn't playing much, I lost my mojo," Arrington says. "I accepted being on the bench for the good of the team. But I shouldn't have. I was like, 'Is this the way my career is going to end?'

The mojo part, I've heard him mention on the John Thompson show when he was starting to get more & more worked into his starting position.

"I found myself for the first time this season on Saturday. I was like, 'I could care less what people think about me or what they say. I'm just going to be me.' And I think it showed."
"Joe Paterno started the whole thing of me being a freelancer and it has continued through my whole career unwarranted," Arrington says of his coach at Penn State. "I've been called a freelancer doing what I was asked to do. If I ran into any gap I wanted, how long would you keep me in the game?

"[Former defensive coordinator] Marvin Lewis said, 'LaVar ran around like a chicken with his head cut off until I got here.' But I made a Pro Bowl before he got here."

Another quote from early in the season as heard on the John Thompson show.

Arrington says his refusal to give his entire life to football also hurt his standing with coaches.

"Causing a fumble to win a game or getting an interception to change a season, that's not the extent of my life," he says. "It never has been. I always see myself as a person first. Maybe coaches get upset that I don't take myself or this game too seriously and they do. Maybe they get upset because I see it as a game and nothing more than a game."

"The Redskins will try and trade me, but if no one wants to take the trade, they're going to have to cut me," Arrington says. "If they string me into July, that's not debilitating to me. If that means the end, that means the end. I can always look back at everything I've been through and say for the most part that I've handled things the right way. I haven't embarrassed my name in any way. I've always been a cool guy.

"I'm happy in my skin. My parents instilled in us that you can't take anything for granted. I've been preparing for my post-football career since I started playing. If I went no further than being Parade's National High School Player of the Year, it was one heck of a ride."

"I'm still a part of this team, and we're having a winning season," he said. "If I get a Super Bowl ring, I could really feel good about leaving this game."

I re-read it for just his quotes too TK. It looks like it was quite recent topically. I had hoped Lavar had outgrown the un-needed and poorly-advised team-damaging press outings.

I am still going to wait and see what tomorrow brings as I have avoided getting too deeply into any further Lavar quagmires after my inital statements last year, and ealrier this year. I have been on a wait-watch-and-see plan, keeping an open mind and as usual hoping for the best. As usual, I love 50% of the things he says and does. I still want to wait at least until tomorrows news before buying 100% into this latest...stuff.

I’m not sure what year we started giving a crap about what the Times had to say, but I for one still could care less what they have to say.

This looks like it was written to get some exposure.

Yeah Times we saw it, and still think your sports section blows.

Guest amaprius
Why are we worrying about LA right now? We need to focus on the playoffs. Not worry about what is going to happen after the season. If we don't focus now the off season will be here sooner than most fans including me, would like! Let's move on shall we?

I agree completely!

The team isnt focusing on LA being whiny.

The coaches might but the players arent.

The players dont care about next season.

They care about beating Philly.

Like you said, "Let's move on, shall we?"

Archived