Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Colts Prediction Thread: Will the Redskins "Luck" Out?

skins island connection

Shouldve mustered enough conviction to predict the outright ass whooping, instead of a simple L. Not like it was any less predictable 

But this was the team I am more used to seeing. Not the one from last week (I say this while AZ  is currently catching a 3rd world beating from the Rams, down 19-zip in the 3rd)

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I predict Luck doesn't play the whole game.  I'm not wishing injury but I think he gets knocked around and the Colts decide it isn't worth the risk.  With their O-line, our D-line will be racking up stats.

I'm tempted to go back and delete this because I could not have been more wrong.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm tempted to go back and delete this because I could not have been more wrong.

I don't know that I'll watch the replay again, and I love doing that most of the time. Might have to take up smoking again. 

Being wrong is the easy part. Suffering all week long is the part that eats the butt. 

Well, I was way off in my prediction as well. I'm gonna live with it. I hope the 'Skins figure out they are going to have to bring their A game every week. And this is why I didn't not predict this as a playoff team. This IMO was one of the easiest games we have on our schedule this year. And we came out and stunk it up.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, I was way off in my prediction as well. I'm gonna live with it. I hope the 'Skins figure out they are going to have to bring their A game every week. And this is why I didn't not predict this as a playoff team. This IMO was one of the easiest games we have on our schedule this year. And we came out and stunk it up.

Same. It felt wrong to predict such a sure win, but there was no way to imagine getting so dominated in the trenches on either side. 

Happened though. I wish we'd have lost some other way, because getting beat this way is very distressing to me about what this team is. 

Just now, Sandy Monk said:

Same. It felt wrong to predict such a sure win, but there was no way to imagine getting so dominated in the trenches on either side. 

Happened though. I wish we'd have lost some other way, because getting beat this way is very distressing to me about what this team is. 

Well, to me it did a couple of things.

It re-enforced where I thought we had issues, such as WR.

It pointed out that unless the whole team is playing well, it's going to be a tough road. I didn't think we have a great roster, and are too predicable in play calling.

Expecting the 2017 version of Alex Smith is not really reasonable.

Run blocking is not something we do real well as a OL. I don't know why, I think we have a pretty good group, and it doesn't seem like we get much movement. Even last week, a lot of that was Peterson.

I wish the league had a 'pay-for-play system, where if you sucked and blew chunks you would be paid less than if you won.

Every year I keep hoping that the present year would be the year they really turned things around. So much for that.

As many have already stated, the WR position is lacking. Doctson has been a super disappointment, showing up sparingly, and outside of Crowder there's no one to have faith that they will get open.

But then you look at the flipside and at some point you have to point the finger at Gruden.  Just as last week where it appeared the coaching staff had an idea of how to handle the Cards, the Colts had their way with Gruden. This is what game preparation is for. No, instead, its lining up the same ol' formations in situations and expecting opponents to have no idea whats coming or how to stop it..  It seems the Colts coaching staff watched game film and Gruden and the others watched The Waterboy.

So when is the official call for Gordon starting?

A few things that confuse/baffle me.  

Why we didn’t seemingly have a plan to attack soft zone and cover 2. 

Why we (still) struggle so much with stunts.  

How did we have so many negative plays?

How are we giving Thompson such a heavy workload (he’s been taking all sorts of nasty hits, hasn’t he?) yet we don’t have a capable backup for him?

Why didn’t we see rollouts and bootlegs... something to move the pocket?

At the end of the day, I’m willing to say this was just a really bad matchup for us - cover 2 with fast linebackers and a dline adept at stunting.  A good/elite qb that can get rid of the ball quickly.  

Overall, I’m concerned about our run D, but I thought the D as a whole played pretty well.  Lots to cleanup, but they were put in a tough spot by our O.  The offense just looked pathetic... and a good part of that seemed to be coaching.  

On 9/13/2018 at 5:11 PM, Chachie said:

Until the Skins prove that "ye olde tradition of losing winnable games after a big win" is dead, I can't give them the nod for this game. It would be a classic Washington Redskins move to blow this one. 

?

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Shouldve mustered enough conviction to predict the outright ass whooping, instead of a simple L. Not like it was any less predictable 

But this was the team I am more used to seeing. Not the one from last week (I say this while AZ  is currently catching a 3rd world beating from the Rams, down 19-zip in the 3rd)

Maaaaan, you have any idea how ill I feel right now knowing Cardinals just got curbstopped 34-0 today?

@skins island connection  Special Request:  Can you please start putting "Will we win, yes or no" Polls in your prediction threads?  I'd like to see at least for the packers game how many of us think we're going to rebound or not without starting own thread (nice little addition to this tradition, see if the board is right from week to week).

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Stay vigilant, for the night is dark and full of terrors

Idea of losing that Packers game and having two weeks watching the Stadium fall into full on dystopia sounds as Redskins as the Name Change controversy.  We're fighting nature right now, not changing nature, there's a difference, and why we're still mediocre at best until we can prove otherwise. 

NFC is not playing around, cannot be losing tie-breaker games at home, if they want it, they get it next Sunday.  That's a must win-game, I don't want to see Jay on the hot seat for 2 weeks walking into an away game against a team that won its Division last year.  I've seen that movie before.

Image result for deja vu matrix gif

That's Saints game is Primetime, btw, so it could very well be an early public execution of our playoff hopes if we lose the Packers game.

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Maaaaan, you have any idea how ill I feel right now knowing Cardinals just got curbstopped 34-0 today?

@skins island connection  Special Request:  Can you please start putting "Will we win, yes or no" Polls in your prediction threads?  I'd like to see at least for the packers game how many of us think we're going to rebound or not without starting own thread (nice little addition to this tradition, see if the board is right from week to week).

Yea, I had originally planned to do that this year but oldtimers disease got to me, but i'll try to get it up this week.

BTW, I think we all know what the poll answer for this coming week will be, well, with the exception of Dan T.  [ although it may be correct score just wrong team ]  :ph34r:

I posted on this thread I thought they'd win but if they were the same old same old Redskins they'd lose -- they tend to come off flat too often after big wins and media hype.  Well, all I can say was here we go again.  Hopefully its a lesson to them. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/sep/16/redskins-blame-low-energy-colts-loss/

As the Redskins struggled to explain why the team looked so flat compared to a week ago, multiple players kept circling back to the same reason: they had “low energy.”

“I couldn’t put my finger on [why], but I felt it,” Peterson said.

“I just felt the energy level was low,” guard Brandon Scherff said.

Peterson pointed out when the Redskins trailed by more than 10 points, it made it harder for the team to stick with the run. By contrast, Washington controlled the clock against Arizona and was able to keep running to advance the clock.

And with the run game kept in check, the Colts eliminated the Redskins’ deep threat.

“They were playing pretty soft and weren’t going to give up big plays, make you check it down, they were going to rally and tackle, be disruptive up front,” quarterback Alex Smith said, “and I think they did a great job with all of those things.”

The Redskins defense, though, prevented the game from spiraling out of control. They forced two turnovers — both interceptions by safety D.J. Swearinger — but only managed to score six points.

Peterson said the offense left the defense on the field for far too long.

As for the low energy, Peterson said he tried to hype his teammates up on the sidelines during the game. But he remained perplexed since ultimately, the Redskins, he said, are ones who control their energy and focus.

“I promise you this — it’ll change next week,” Peterson said.

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Yea, I had originally planned to do that this year but oldtimers disease got to me, but i'll try to get it up this week.

BTW, I think we all know what the poll answer for this coming week will be, well, with the exception of Dan T.  [ although it may be correct score just wrong team ]  :ph34r:

Think you should make it private, agree based on the people that post, but I've noticed a lot of people that vote dont post that much, that's how you get 100+ votes, id love to see more then that and see how right we are from one week to the next 

I'm picking Redskins : ) now or never. 

13 hours ago, skinny21 said:

A few things that confuse/baffle me.  

Why we didn’t seemingly have a plan to attack soft zone and cover 2. 

Why we (still) struggle so much with stunts.  

How did we have so many negative plays?

How are we giving Thompson such a heavy workload (he’s been taking all sorts of nasty hits, hasn’t he?) yet we don’t have a capable backup for him?

Why didn’t we see rollouts and bootlegs... something to move the pocket?

Questions that need answering.

I would think a cover 2 would be an ideal match up for us, we dont go deep anyway (it seems so far) and want to take the underneath stuff anyway and we should be able to run against a cover 2.

Stunts. I have no answer. I have to assume they practiced hard on it this week. Callahan ... his name should be mentioned a lot more imo. His "no fullback, use TEs at point of attack" rule he had Jay adopt for run plays I think put us back years bc we could never find a good blocking TE. Weve had guys like Reed and Davis and it hurt our run game. Either Trent-Scherff-Moses are highly over rated or Callahan is. 

Rollouts/move the pocket -- no idea. maybe that part of the playbook isnt fully integrated yet with a new QB?

On 9/13/2018 at 5:22 PM, JSSkinz said:

I'm a bit superstitious and I picked us to lay an egg in AZ due to the minimal reps in preseason.

So I'm staying the course, the team will take the Colts lightly, Luck will put up 300 yards and they will run the ball effectively because they are able to move the chains and keep our defense on the field.

I figured something like this would happen but thought it would be one of those huge passing days for Luck with 3 or 4 TD's, it's hard to understand how we lose when we hold Luck to under 200 yards passing.

If you asked me do I think we win if we hold the Colts to under 300 yards of total offense and win the turnover battle I say yes, but you have to convert on 3rd down and we didn't.

Its seems likely we were just outcoached by the Colts.

3 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Questions that need answering.

I would think a cover 2 would be an ideal match up for us, we dont go deep anyway (it seems so far) and want to take the underneath stuff anyway and we should be able to run against a cover 2.

I mentioned before that I wonder if this was just a bad matchup for us, and this is one example.  I believe the speed of their backers really hurt us - they got to the gaps quickly, got out to the flats to limit YAC from the underneath stuff, etc.  

Colts had a good plan to protect their corners and cause major problems for our oline.  I’m guessing that, with hindsight, this would have been a good game to employ a fullback.  

I’m not sure why Gruden didn’t change from his original plan to more slants/drags/crossers.  Thompson (or Sprinkle) should have been used more in pass pro, IMO, and we should have challenged their young line backing corp with the TEs and wrs.  I can understand this wasn’t the original plan, but the adjustment should have been on the table.  

I don't have the same disdain for Doctson that many seem to, but I don’t think he fits with Smith (and didn’t with Kirk either)... particularly against a D focused on stopping the deep passes.  

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted on this thread I thought they'd win but if they were the same old same old Redskins they'd lose -- they tend to come off flat too often after big wins and media hype.  Well, all I can say was here we go again.  Hopefully its a lesson to them. .

If they haven't learned yet, I doubt they'll learn after this one

Archived