Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HUffPost.com: When Your iPhone Reinforces Sexism

Destino

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I just want automated cars because..........

because my complete hatred for drunk drivers is the only thing keeping from being a daily social drinker instead of a closet alcoholic.  I hate having to Uber whenever I want to go have drinks with people. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We're closer then you think on that one:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/30/us/amazon-echo-arkansas-murder-case-dismissed/index.html

This isn't paranoia anymore, these tech companies have shown they cannot be trusted.  There's no way with a straight face I can have an honest cost / benefit analysis on having one in my house.  The thing is always on, has to be, otherwise it won't be able to hear the trigger words.  You basically have to trust Amazon that its not listening to everything and sending it remotely, the ring lighting up is just the device getting in a mode to respond to you.

Hate to tell ya...but your cell phone tracks where you are and listens to you...if you think it's just the Echo, or google home, you're naive. 

As for being used against you. There was a guy who got busted for arson, and the data from his pace maker was used against him...

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/02/07/pacemaker-arson-charges

Sorry..the days of privacy ended A LONG time ago.

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Hate to tell ya...but your cell phone tracks where you are and listens to you...if you think it's just the Echo, or google home, you're naive. 

As for being used against you. There was a guy who got busted for arson, and the data from his pace maker was used against him...

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/02/07/pacemaker-arson-charges

I never said that was the only thing, said I wasn't going to add to it.  I do IT for a living, so don't call me naive. 

Unless your GPS is always on, tracking is done by seeing what cell phone tower you are closest to.  SMS, FB Messengar, WhatsApp, and Shazam are only apps on my phone that have access to my microphone, is that enough, who knows, that doesn't mean I have to make it easy for them (after debating, I only have Shazam having access to microphone, but that's just what the phone says).  I don't have Google Assistant installed, but I need to go ahead and root it again. 

Privacy is Dead, I find myself losing all the time, but I'm not going to just give in to putting as many microphones in my life as available like it doesn't matter to me, because it still does.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I never said that was the only thing, said I wasn't going to add to it.  I do IT for a living, so don't call me naive. 

Unless your GPS is always on, tracking is done by seeing what cell phone tower you are closest to.  SMS, FB Messengar, WhatsApp, and Shazam are only apps on my phone that have access to my microphone, is that enough, who knows, that doesn't mean I have to make it easy for them (after debating, I only have Shazam having access to microphone, but that's just what the phone says).  I don't have Google Assistant installed, but I need to go ahead and root it again. 

Privacy is Dead, I find myself losing all the time, but I'm not going to just give in to putting as many microphones in my life as available like it doesn't matter to me, because it still does.

I dont care if you are in IT. The thought that your own cell phone, smart TV, XBox camera, PS4 camera isn't able to hear you, track you or see you without you knowing is...naive.

Samsung already admitted to it, Microsoft admitted to it...and right cell tower tracking is always occurring so yeah...your phone always knows where you are.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/amp13819012/google-android-phone-cell-tower-tracking/

22 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I dont care if you are in IT. The thought that your own cell phone, smart TV, XBox camera, PS4 camera isn't able to hear you, track you or see you without you knowing is...naive.

Samsung already admitted to it, Microsoft admitted to it...and right cell tower tracking is always occurring so yeah...your phone always knows where you are.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/amp13819012/google-android-phone-cell-tower-tracking/

I can't tell if your still calling me naive or not, so I'm jus going to let it go because I know it's not true.  The only thing in your post I have is an andorid, I haven't had a Microsoft anything in my house in 8 years, been using linux. I already know it's an uphill battle, Gmail said they stopped reading our emails for ads like they were being nice, but its because they didn't need it anymore. Knowing what I know makes it worse then not knowing at all, I know how bad it is on a technical level, it's not black magic to me.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We're closer then you think on that one:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/30/us/amazon-echo-arkansas-murder-case-dismissed/index.html

This isn't paranoia anymore, these tech companies have shown they cannot be trusted.  There's no way with a straight face I can have an honest cost / benefit analysis on having one in my house.  The thing is always on, has to be, otherwise it won't be able to hear the trigger words.  You basically have to trust Amazon that its not listening to everything and sending it remotely, the ring lighting up is just the device getting in a mode to respond to you.

Im not really sure why people don’t get it. 

What magic technology works after after you give it a keyword without it listening all of the time?

none of my voice recognition stuff is on. Not my laptops, phones, tablet, Xbox, tv and the google home I got for free hasn’t been pulled for the box it came it. In fact, the packing tape is still on it. 

It’s like the surprise people had they connected the gsk guy using a genealogy site. Me and my coworkers were talking about those things at lunch the a few weeks before. We all said no way we’d give our dna over to someone to keep and do whatever they want with. 

I wish we could trust these companies but time and time we’re  shown we can’t 

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

So? That means you should just add to the list?

almost all nlp systems stream what they hear home. It’s just way easier for them. They don’t have to push changes to every device, processing power is centralized and within their control, same with data storage. 

Theres a difference between a Kinect system that lets you move around the screen with your hand or a system that takes a few key words, and a system the tries to dicipher any sentence in and language and various dialects and respond intelligently. 

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Research shows people respond better to female voices for interaction with electronics . That’s why it’s the default. Whether it’s directions or an answer to the question. 

I believe every program/device I’ve worked with has the option to change it. 

The article mentions it if you read far enough down. 

People do dumb **** with any automated response - in video games, programs, web searches, “AI” (the only term used incorrectly more often is probably the term “literally”)

if siri was a dude dumb guys would be asking it how big its **** is. 

This article is dumb. 

(Edit: surprised that’s not on the filter list... self censoring)

Literally nobody uses the word literally correctly anymore. 

4 hours ago, Xameil said:

Yep, but at least with my phone I can kinda control location services.  I can configure which apps have access to the mic.  I can turn it off.  I can chuck it off a bridge into a river if the bad guys are after me.  

Correct, days of privacy ended awhile ago.  But in this day in age, I kinda have to have a cell phone.  I could have a ****ty flip phone that I can get at 7-11 but I think most people need a smartphone.  I do, I need to get access to work email and stuff if I'm not at my computer.  

But I don't NEED an Alexa.  Don't need something else in my house listening to my every move and conversations.  If I was REALLY paranoid about that stuff with my phone I could just leave my phone in the car.  Or put it under a seat cushion or something.  But Alexa seems like another beast I don't feel like having around.  

Archived