Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: FBI probe into NCAA corruption identifies possible violations by basketball powers

The Evil Genius

It's exactly who I thought was cheating.

Duke. UNC. Kentucky. Kansas. Michigan State. Etc.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22553502/fbi-probe-corruption-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

Atleast 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles BridgesAlabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter.

You think it's just those schools.  It's probably all of them and not just in Basketball.  You think football is so innocent. Heck, they are probably more violations in football; that will dwarf whatever they find in basketball.

College athletics is not an amateur league.  It's professional and it's time they just set it up as that.

Create a professional college league for men's football and basketball. Split the profits, 50-50. 50% goes to the league and 50% goes to the colleges, to fund their athletic departments for all the other collegiate sports.   Contracts are for 4 years for football players. After that, they can make the switch to the NFL.  For basketball, you just go year by year. Those not good enough for the NBA, keep on playing college.    

You get rid of the notion of collegiate athletes for men's football and basketball.  They are just employees and nothing more, and when they are able to; they move on to the NFL/NBA. 

The NCAA system isn't the best way to produce elite athletes.  It's obviously filled with corruption and it doesn't serve the interests of the best players.  In major sports like basketball and football, pro teams should be involved in developing the best prospects from a young age.  As a reward system, attach a price tag to draft picks.  That money would provide these development programs with a financial interest in the success and health of their young players.  A goal greater than simply winning at all costs . 

When Princeton wins the 2021 National Title, I am going to lord it over all of you jags so badly.

You think I'm exhausting now. You have no idea.

But, seriously, anyone trying to score points off of this is a moron.

Do you cheer for a college basketball team in a power conference?

Well, guess what? They are cheating.

All of them.

Primarily, because the rules are impossible to follow, and there is too much incentive to break them. Also, there is no good reason for the players to not break them. These are unfair to the players and - until now I guess - carry very little punishment for the players. Why wouldn't you break them?

There is almost a moral imperative for the players to break them.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

How is this not a waste of the FBI's time? 

And they need to just go ahead and pay these kids. 

Pretty much. 

It is mind bogglingly stupid that we’ve turned academia into a development league for major sports leagues. 

Every basketball student I taught needed so much additional support just to pass, that it didn’t even make sense for them to come to class. They learned nothing.

Of course they all cheat.  

I've long had a theory that the powers that be don't want to blow a whistle on some of the larger programs because everyone will go down.  No way Duke could run a totally clean program.  Hell UCLA didn't have a clean one back in the day.

**** the NCAA, let these kids make some money and move on.  The NCAA is a joke.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

How is this not a waste of the FBI's time? 

And they need to just go ahead and pay these kids. 

The kids know the deal. You get a few bucks and perks from pretty much all programs. However, if you want to really get paid, you’ve gotta play Confederate Conference, ‘er SEC football. 

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Pay them. Then eliminate athletic scholarships. Let them walk away from UNC or Duke 50k in debt after 2 years.

WOOOO! They’re totally scared of this.? You honestly think the players would accept a deal that wouldn’t cover their tuition? A 50/50 revenue split seems fair and would probably cover tuition for them in addition to salary. I don’t know how many major sports players there are to have a denominator, but I’d have a hard time believing it couldn’t be accomplished with ~$4.5B a year.

6 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

WOOOO! They’re totally scared of this.? You honestly think the players would accept a deal that wouldn’t cover their tuition? A 50/50 revenue split seems fair and would probably cover tuition for them in addition to salary. I don’t know how many major sports players there are to have a denominator, but I’d have a hard time believing it couldn’t be accomplished with ~$4.5B a year.

That's why that unionization attempt at Northwestern had to fail. All it takes is for one team to seek collective bargaining, and the entire system will collapse.

Northwestern is a team where most of the players stay 4 or 5 years and then go to, like, law school. They would have had the time and resources to really see it through to the end unlike the one and doners in the big programs who are literally only enrolled in class until January and are no longer on campus in March.

In a way, the one and dones are the best thing that ever happened to the NCAA, because no one who really should get pissed is around long enough to get pissed off. Jalen Rose had three years of watching his jersey get sold.

9 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

The kids know the deal. You get a few bucks and perks from pretty much all programs. However, if you want to really get paid, you’ve gotta play Confederate Conference, ‘er SEC football. 

Jay Bilas made an interesting point this week. In the old days, the players got a few hundred - or in some cases - a few thousands bucks.

The difference today is that entire families are getting paid off.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The NCAA system isn't the best way to produce elite athletes.  It's obviously filled with corruption and it doesn't serve the interests of the best players.  In major sports like basketball and football, pro teams should be involved in developing the best prospects from a young age.  As a reward system, attach a price tag to draft picks.  That money would provide these development programs with a financial interest in the success and health of their young players.  A goal greater than simply winning at all costs . 

Was just talking about this on twitter.  I think their going to be gone within the next 20 years.  If we had any ambition or organization we'd be halfway there by now.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure anything illegal happened here.

The way it was explained to me is this: the underlying crime is essentially inducement fraud. Follow how this works:

1. The players, agents, coaches, etc know that taking or offering an illegal benefit is putting the university at risk for sanctions, etc that cost money. You are essentially defrauding the college of money in that instance.

2. Going to a player and offering or a player seeking an illegal benefit is the inducement.

3. Therefore, everyone involved is hurting a third party here - namely the institution, which should be aware of what is happening.

This strikes me as a real stretch.

Here is my suggestion:

1. Create a committee that ranks the top 50 pro prospects in each grade in NCAA basketball.

2. Allow the same for NCAA football, but make the number 150 or something reasonable.

3. Create a three month window where those players can sign with a sports agent, vetted and approved by the NCAA.

4. Allow those sports agents to advance a set figure to each player, maybe based on where they are in the rankings. 1-10 $10K. 11-20 $15K

5. Make that money refundable upon signing the first pro contract - even if it's in a European league or CFL or whatever.

6. If the player does not sign a pro contract, allow the agent to be reimbursed at say 50 percent from a general fund created by the NCAA.

Under this scheme, the players have some form of legal representation and some form of payment. The schools are not paying players directly. The incentive for a top recruit to accept some sort of illegal benefit is largely gone, because he's going to get paid something no matter where he goes. There is an incentive built in here for marginal talents to stay in school an extra year, because presumably, that top 50 list gets openings each season. If you were 55 as a Freshman, you are going to be in the 30s as a sophomore and maybe the top 10 as a senior. Agents are locking up top talents early at relatively little risk. Everything is transparent.

I'm actually glad this happened, regardless of me being a UNC fan.  Mainly because I am so sick and tired of hearing the bull**** from Duke and NC State fans about how they run clean programs, when everyone with half a brain knows that some form of corruption is going on in both football and basketball at every major college.  

Hopefully this will change the landscape for basketball and football in a better way.  

Even UVA is showing up in this as it they are saying that they took Brogdon's mom to the Ritz-Carlton.  It does not say what they ate, but if was soup, then (as noted in a Seinfeld episode) it might not count as a meal.  The tab was under $65, so maybe it was just soup.

Perhaps the most in-depth discussion of soup came in the appropriately titled episode "The Soup." Annoying Ovaltine-based comic Kenny Bania insists upon giving Jerry an Armani suit that no longer fits him because he's been working out (he's HUGE!), and suggests that he pay him back by buying him a meal. Jerry reluctantly agrees, and takes Bania to Mendy's. Bania orders the consommé, then informs Jerry that this doesn't count as payback for the suit because "soup's not a meal."

Jerry complains to Elaine that he has to take Bania out again because he just ordered soup. Elaine sides with Bania, arguing that heartier soups like mushroom barley, chicken gumbo, or matzoh ball might count as a meal, but consommé does not. Later, Bania joins them at Monk's and orders soup and a sandwich, which ultimately completes the transaction.

5 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Do you cheer for a college basketball team in a power conference?

Well, guess what? They are cheating.

All of them.

"College basketball has a reputation for shady business dealings that would be frowned upon by the NCAA.

Michigan head coach John Beilein is an example of the opposite. Someone who runs a completely clean program and follows NCAA rules and procedures to the single letter. It appears that his colleagues feel the same way about him as well.

According to a CBS survey, 100 anonymous high-major coaches were asked about who they thought were the cleanest coaches in all high-major basketball. U-M's Beilein was mentioned most often and it wasn't even close."

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/John-Beilein-voted-college-basketballs-cleanest-coach-by-peers-106469158

(of course now he's going to turn out to be a huge cheater, just because I posted this...)

Archived