Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Perspective: One fan's attempt at a trial separation from the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

Trial Seperation  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Does taking a trial separation from your favorite NFL team make you a fake fan?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/04/goodbye-redskins-one-fan-attempts-a-trial-separation-from-his-favorite-nfl-team/?utm_term=.fd53bbca8cff

The Redskins have had a mediocre-but-not-terrible record over the past two seasons. They’ve had a number of impressive wins, and they employ a number of impressive players. There have been seasons when the Redskins were obviously embarrassing; 2017 wasn’t one of them. And yet longtime fans continue to express a perhaps uncommon level of dissatisfaction with the franchise and a perhaps uncommon level of apathy.

After Sunday’s listless finale, I ran across Jay Richardson, a 48-year-old (nearly) lifelong fan who unfollowed the Redskins on Twitter and followed the Steelers instead, and who changed his favorite team on ESPN’s site from Washington to Pittsburgh, and who wrote that “life’s too short” to stick with the Redskins, that “I have to change teams or quit the NFL altogether.”

“Hope my grandfather isn’t rolling over in his grave, but I can’t take anymore Dan Snyder football in my life,” he wrote. “Goodbye, Redskins.”

I'm curious what everyone thinks about this.

Is this guy just a "fake fan" like the homers on the #RedskinsTweetTeam would say? 

Or has he been beaten down so badly by the dysfunction that he's tapping out for his own sanity?

I could never follow another NFL team, nor would I buy the gear of another team. But the idea of a trial separation may seam rather appealing...especially if the team lets Kirk Cousins walk; which unfortunately looks to be a forgone conclusion. 

I'm still a fan and it's obvious I care about the team or else I wouldn't be on this board complaining about not having a football GM;

But sometimes I think to myself: "Why?"

I've done it before. Not so much a separation but just lost interest in the pro game. Skins sucked constantly, Nothing to watch. Back then the Sunday ticket didn't exist. I'd watch some each year if they were on tv, until it was clear it was another suck year. Just lost interest. Was never really mad at the team or anything. This time is different. I've about had it with the FO. They won't get Kirk signed up, and we will fall into the abyss again. If this happens, I'm probably done.  It took Gibbs coming back to suck me back in again. Hard to see something of that magnitude happening to keep us interesting, competitive and fun.

Don't come back Jay Richardson (not that you'll probably ever want to). I can allow "taking a break," but full on changing your allegiance is not part of the deal. Especially to the ****ing Steelers.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to replace the Skins with a lady and review that hypothetical scenario... 

Fandom is not really something you get to select, you're born into it.  I wish it was as easy as selecting a team with a setup you like and automatically garnering the level of passion I have for the team I was born into.  Unfortunately it's just not possible.

You kind of have to get into the league as a whole, and find reasons to like other teams temporarily when playoff time comes.

I voted "NO" to the original poll question, but that was before I read the article. After reading the article, the poll question is misleading.

Are you a fake fan if you simply stop following your team and decide to play golf on Sunday instead? No.

Are you a fake fan if you simply shack up with another team? HELL YES.

Jay Richardson (and anyone else like him) can go suck a pole.

It's odd that he just went and chose a new team. For me, I'd be fine with someone who couldn't take it anymore and just lost interest in pro football or became more of a general fan. But, even though I hate being like this, anyone who could just become a fan of another team doesn't seem like he or she was ever truly a great fan to begin with. 

If you have spent a significant amount of  time, money and effort on the Redskins over the years....

...if you have spent money on tickets to the dull, lifeless stadium experience that is Fed-Ex field

...if you've paid for the overpriced parking that goes along with those overpriced tickets

...if you've bought a jersey, hat, tshirt, hoodie, poster, bumper sticker

...if you ever paid to get into training camp

...if you have dedicated time to watching weeks 1-17 no matter what the odds are

...if you have spent a stupid amount of time on Extremeskins arguing about something as insignificant as a 7th round pick

...if you think Reggie Roby is the greatest punter that has ever lived, and have a Shar Pourdanesh Logo Athletic jersey in your closet

...if you have ever tuned into Sonny, Sam and Frank (or Larry, I guess) on a long car ride

...if you know John Riggins is out of his mind but you love him anyway and still listen to him

...if you spend an inordinate amount of time wondering how this team would have been for the past 10 years if Sean Taylor was alive

...if some of your fondest memories as a kid (for those of us old enough to remember) are watching games in the 80s with your dad 

....if you can remember the feeling and energy that this town has when the Skins are GOOD

...if you still cling to a little bit of hope

You are a true fan.

I've always likened this to an abusive relationship.  Not to make light of something as serious as domestic abuse, but that's really what we, as a fanbase, have endured since Snyder has taken over.  Constant abuse from a myriad of angles, most significantly making everything as expensive as can be with offering little to no substance in return.  Crappy on-field product, average (at best) stadium experience and nothing to get excited about.

Yet, we as fans, are told that we are loved, that we are valued, that we matter.  Bruce trots out the alumni every year.  You can't go anywhere without franchise reminding you HOW GOOD IT USED TO BE in the 80s and early 90s.  Every year, those players look a little older, every year the dust gathers on those Superbowl trophies.  

Every year, there's a little less people in the stadium.  Every year, there's a little less excitement about the team. 

"But hey baby.  Remember when you and I were good together?  Remember those times we used to hang out and stay up all night and get a little wild?  Remember how good that felt?  Remember that time I brought you flowers at your work and surprised you?  Remember that time you introduced me to your parents and they told you after how much they loved me?"

"Baby, I'm sorry I got drunk and hit you.  I'm sorry you had to cover up that black eye.  I won't do it again.  I promise.  I know I said that the last time I got a little rough with you but this time I really, really mean it.  I only get that way because i love you SO MUCH and I just get a little outta control.  I'm sorry baby..."

Some people stay.  Some people leave.

And while I understand people who stay...I sure as **** don't fault anyone for leaving.

For those who believe - accurately - that the poll and the article do not match, I believe the OP was just using that article as a springboard. Asking the question: While some fans are jumping ship and picking another team which to many would indicate a bandwagon fan, is just taking a break from the team the same thing. I could have it wrong but that's how I interpreted it. 

To that end, for me taking a temporary break from the team is probably healthy. For the first time in almost 50 yrs I turned off the dallas game before it was over and then completely missed a game even forgetting it was on (in fairness I was in Fl playing golf all day). I have even taken a few second favorite teams. I liked AZ for a while. Not liking where they are headed now though. I live in Atl now so following the Falcons seems logical and then can be fun to watch. I may even buy a jersey and go to a few games. 

But there is no way I could possibly ever replace the Redskins as the #1 team for me. Yea, I started watching AZ games with more intent but their losses never hit me like Redskins losses. Same with Atl. I prefer they win but if they don't meh. It's nothing like the Redskins and I just could not imagine it any other way - as much as that pains me. It makes me hate Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen right now even more. 

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Some people stay.  Some people leave.

And while I understand people who stay...I sure as **** don't fault anyone for leaving.

Great post. 

I don't fault anyone for leaving...I can understand that eventual decision as even I'm finding myself less passionate and more numb. What seems strange to me is switching. I think it would take unique circumstances for me to ever care enough about another team to claim that I'm now a fan of them. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think it would take unique circumstances for me to ever care enough about another team to claim that I'm now a fan of them. 

I don't think it's in any way possible for fans like us, that spend too much of our free time following the team relentlessly and discussing it on this very board.

Sure, your more casual fans that kind of like teams just to like one.  The kind you see that never cared much about football, then one day they are rocking a Pats, Steelers, Seahawks or Packers jersey.  Those folks can easily make the switch.  Our kind, simply cannot.

I disagree with Spaceman Spiff.

In order to be a true fan, not only do you have to have the Pourdanesh jersey, you have to watch Redskins Nation religiously and scream "HAIL YEAH!" when Larry Michael emphatically checks the "Skintangibles" box and predicts we'll beat the Patriots by 21.

Otherwise, great post!

The whole idea of fandom is somewhat silly.  Jerry Seinfeld said you're basically rooting for the clothes and my friend from HS said something very similar, the players change, aren't from the area and there isn't really continuity within the team.  

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Great post. 

I don't fault anyone for leaving...I can understand that eventual decision as even I'm finding myself less passionate and more numb. What seems strange to me is switching. I think it would take unique circumstances for me to ever care enough about another team to claim that I'm now a fan of them. 

Thanks man.

I don't really mind switching.  It just says to me that you like football and it's more fun when you have a team to be invested in.  To me it's strange when there's absolutely no ties and the choice is made at random.  But if your wife's family roots for the Steelers...

If Kirk goes somewhere...the Skins will always be my #1, but I'll have another team to be rooting for in December after the Skins are out of it.

55 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

The whole idea of fandom is somewhat silly.  Jerry Seinfeld said you're basically rooting for the clothes and my friend from HS said something very similar, the players change, aren't from the area and there isn't really continuity within the team.  

16 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I ain't goin anywhere...Redskins fan for life..or nothing..I would still watch football but not have a favorite team.

IMAG0996.jpg

I just wanted to see these two posts juxtaposed together.  Nothing else here to see.

Where does the WP find people to do stories like this? Do they just walk up to any random dude and say "Hey, are you going to stop being a fan? Can I write a story about how you changed who you're following on Twitter?" Please, tell me more about about which logo is shown on your ESPN page. I simply MUST know. I won't be able to sleep otherwise.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Where does the WP find people to do stories like this? Do they just walk up to any random dude and say "Hey, are you going to stop being a fan? Can I write a story about how you changed who you're following on Twitter?" Please, tell me more about about which logo is shown on your ESPN page. I simply MUST know. I won't be able to sleep otherwise.

I know.

The problem with this is if someone walks away, and the Redskins start playing great in 2018, are they going to come running back? That makes you look like a fair weather fan that will only cheer for the team when they are winning. Anyone could do that.

To me, if you quickly run off to another team (like the Steelers.... funny how he picks one of the playoff teams), you were never really that big of a fan of the Redskins to start with.

I mean, what happens if the Steelers go down hill next season? Is he going to change his team again?

He sounds like a fickle football fan that just wants to cheer for whoever is winning that season. 

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to root for an organization that continuously brings the people they hire or acquire to their lowest point or the worst version of their selves (at least professionally). 

I’m exhausted at seeing so many fans willingly plunge themselves into that vicious cycle where they target those people relentlessly, ignoring or downplaying or just passingly referencing those at the top who are the root cause of it. 

Some of these people aren't that good. Some are. But they’ll never get to reach their potential or beyond it due to their environment, and even when some of the fans come to this sobering realization, they still can’t help but encourage the cycle by thrusting their insults and rage at those people versus the leadership that created the environment and perpetuates it. 

So many new targets. So many new villains. 

Just gets tiring to see that when you’re empathetic. So it comes down to being cold and disconnected regarding those you’re rooting for to succeed if you want to stay heavily involved. Rage against them while defending those at the top. Which is weird to me. Can’t do it. 

So the passion certainly is waning. Just would rather not be as involved in it anymore. :/ 

I don’t think a fan can go root for a team that is winning and making the playoffs consistently while his real team is struggling (Redskins). That’s too easy and it will make you look like a fair weather fan when your real team starts doing well again and you jump back on the bandwagon. It’s getting harder to get excited before games knowing this team will somehow disappoint me by losing to or barely beating teams with less talent and sometimes getting my hopes up by beating a good team. 

I think there is a lot of fans that are around my age in their 40s and 50s that and think back at the great years we enjoyed when we were great in the 80s and 91 and wonder if we are ever going to have that again before we die. Going through a mid life crisis and being a fan of a losing team is not a good combination. 

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to root for an organization that continuously brings the people they hire or acquire to their lowest point or the worst version of their selves (at least professionally). 

I’m exhausted at seeing so many “fans” willingly plunge themselves into that vicious cycle where they target those people relentlessly, ignoring or downplaying or just passingly referencing those at the top who are the root cause of it. 

edit

So the passion certainly is waning. Just would rather not be as involved in it anymore. :/ 

This is really it in a nutshell. It seems to happen at every level of the organization, mostly in the FO but players too. Under Dan Snyder people with good pedigrees come here and reach the bottom of their professional capabilities. The sign of a good manager is that people excel under them. This just does not happen here. Dan's management style and structure brings out the worst in people - not all people but seemingly most.

This is what makes the whole thing depressing. This thing we all are so emotionally invested in is being run by someone who brings out the worst in most everyone they touch. And there is really nothing we can do to change it. Just hope that somehow despite almost 20 years of a failed management style Dan Snyder finally figures it out. It's very unlikely but it's really the only ray of hope there is.

I am rooting for Kirk's team in 2018 and hopefully beyond as long as Kirk doesn't play for the Cowboy, Giants or a butt-ugly franchise like Cleveland.  I could never derive any pleasure from the Cowboys, Giants and I don't want to adopt another dysfunctional franchise so the Browns and few others wouldn't work for me.  

I consider myself a true fan but one that has been used and abused and has finally decided to drawn a line based on Kirk Cousins.  If Snyder signs him I stay otherwise I am going with Kirk.  If Kirk needs to leave the Skins and upgrade I am going with him.  I am going to be a Cousins _________ in 2018 and beyond.   I'll buy the NFL package or maybe adopt a sports bar that is ______________ centric, that might be more fun.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Some of these people aren't that good. Some are. But they’ll never get to reach their potential or beyond it due to their environment, and even when some of the fans come to this sobering realization, they still can’t help but encourage the cycle by thrusting their insults and rage at those people versus the leadership that created the environment and perpetuates it. 

Its a toxic organization.  Just filthy

Archived