Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Is it just me or are we getting zero close calls, again. While anything Pivetta gets close is a strike, again. 

Phillies will score at least 2 here.

It's that kind of year. Any and everything remotely possible is gonna go against us Every. Single. Time.

But hey at least that curse is gone.

5 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Unload Bryce to the highest bidder when the time comes..

I’m for it. Supply and demand... unfortunately Machado will be available too, but that could actually play into the Nats favor. If one team goes and grabs Machado, perhaps a division rival would be keen to overpay for Harper to match. 

4 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

It really SUCKS that they couldn't cash in during the window from '12-17.'  Looks like they're probably headed back to the '05-'10 years.  DAMN!

I'm not so sure. We still have top notching starting pitching. Robles and Soto are two young studs in the OF. I trust Rizzo to continue drafting/developing.

And besides 2015, has Harper really lived up to the hype? I mean, he's been a good player, at times great sure, but the guy was supposed to be Mickey Mantle-esque. Teams have lost better players and gone on to win. The Giants became a dynasty AFTER Bonds retired and Bonds was way better then Harper.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And besides 2015, has Harper really lived up to the hype? I mean, he's been a good player, at times great sure, but the guy was supposed to be Mickey Mantle-esque. Teams have lost better players and gone on to win. The Giants became a dynasty AFTER Bonds retired and Bonds was way better then Harper.

Harper was in his prime from '12-17.  I wanted them to win with during that time when he was at the top of his game.  I don't what has happened this year and it's probably too late now.  As for Bonds, there were probably other reasons why Bonds was better than Harper

This has been a dead team. Sleepwalking for 2 months basically. THAT is THE character win of the season so far. If there was ever gonna be an igniter, that was it right there. Finally some energy!

You HAVE to take off after tonight.

8 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

THAT is THE character win of the season so far. If there was ever gonna be an igniter, that was it right there. Finally some energy!

Felt the same way coming back from 7-1 against deGrom and the Mets when they weren't playing like the worst team in the National League.

Happy to salvage a win against the Phillies - very happy, indeed, especially since it featured some hopeful signs.

-Actual, honest to God, clutch hitting toward the end of the game 

-Bouncing back after a rain delay killed an early game rally 

-Murphy's first multiple hit game of the 2018 season

-Harper not only getting a multiple hit game but driving in a run and scoring three times

-Soto extending his hitting streak (he was even intentionally walked last night!)

-Bullpen coming through toward the end to keep the team in the game 

A sweep would have been a disaster, even with a series against a so-so Rays team coming up (their L10 record looks much better than ours right now). Hopefully last night's win gives them some desperately needed mojo going into the next series - especially since they're gonna be on the road for the next week. 

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Actual, honest to God, clutch hitting toward the end of the game 

tumblr_p5erfd6xmW1whihhzo3_r1_500.gif

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Murphy's first multiple hit game of the 2018 season

That was really good to see, but I'm still very worried about him. He has an 11.4% hard hit rate, which is really bad. He is staying away from soft contact, remaining at his career norm, his medium contact is a 71.4%. He isn't squaring balls up yet--not sure if that's a timing thing, or an injury thing. Also, Solis has been horrible his last couple of times out. Might need to use Collins and Matt Grace more.

45 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That was really good to see, but I'm still very worried about him. He has an 11.4% hard hit rate, which is really bad. He is staying away from soft contact, remaining at his career norm, his medium contact is a 71.4%. He isn't squaring balls up yet--not sure if that's a timing thing, or an injury thing.

Daniel Murphy has all of 43 plate appearances so far in 2018.  And that's with no spring training.  So let's revisit how he's doing in a month or so.  In the meantime, any progress is good.

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think your team is better positioned to win without Harper and the price tag than with it. 

First of all, the post you replied to was ridiculous and an overreaction. 05-10? They definitely are not heading back there.

As far as your comment. I think they are positioned fine with or without him. I think with him, they are a better team overall and it's hard to believe otherwise. But having Soto and Robles as current/future outfielders is a good problem to have. Questions will be around 1st 2nd, and C.

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

First of all, the post you replied to was ridiculous and an overreaction. 05-10? They definitely are not heading back there.

As far as your comment. I think they are positioned fine with or without him. I think with him, they are a better team overall and it's hard to believe otherwise. But having Soto and Robles as current/future outfielders is a good problem to have. Questions will be around 1st 2nd, and C.

I think in a vacuum, they are definitely better with Harper. But, aren't they better without him and with much more financial flexibility to keep the rest of the core and build around Robles and Soto?? That's what I would think. Having $35-45M per season available to supplement your star players is pretty useful. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think in a vacuum, they are definitely better with Harper. But, aren't they better without him and with much more financial flexibility to keep the rest of the core and build around Robles and Soto?? That's what I would think. Having $35-45M per season available to supplement your star players is pretty useful. 

Depends on what they want to spend. They can do it if they want. It would look insane like some of the recent Yankees and Dodgers payrolls. But then again, say they finally break free of MASN and get their own local deal. That's more than enough annually to cover a Harper and probably a Rendon long-term plus some smaller deals. Tampa Bay with their awful rev gets like $80 annually from Foxsports down there. 

Archived