Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

5 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/nfc-east-notes-giants-chubb-vernon-lbs-eagles-jeffery-redskins?fv-home=true&post-id=103090

Had not seen this before, quoting that link it says we are projected to have the 2nd lowest amount of cap space next year in the league. If that’s right clearly it explains why there is only a one year option on the table for Hankins and why this years free agency was slow

Probably the last year that Norman, Colt, Reed play here to name a few

While true, there are a lot of moves we can make next offseason to put us at right around league average for cap space.  This should not preclude us from signing Hankins to a multi-year deal IMO.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

While true, there are a lot of moves we can make next offseason to put us at right around league average for cap space.  This should not preclude us from signing Hankins to a multi-year deal IMO.

So like by going by this

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

To get around 16th in space your talking about freeing up 30 million. Besides cutting some players I already mentioned what moves can they do to do what you said there to get Hankins?

I don’t think that makes any sense personally because we are talking about adding another hefty contract in Hankins which drops the cap even lower and then being somewhere near 50 million in free space which means more cuts to make. 

Ive been on the record saying we should sign him but after hearing how bad we are gonna be next year I’ve shifted to not being for that. I would rather go with a draft pick. I mean with little space next year does anyone actually think they will be able to resign the big three next year? I don’t. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looking through some of whats coming next year cap wise, it looks easier next year than this year to escape contracts. If I recall for example bailing on Colt and Vernon gives u about 9 million in space just like that. 

Colt is a free agent next year, but cutting Davis, Mcclain, McGee and Scandrick frees up over 14 million

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Colt is a free agent next year, but cutting Davis, Mcclain, McGee and Scandrick frees up over 14 million

Thanks. Yeah I corrected that.  Tandler claims Reed frees 10 million but looking at it myself, it looks like its 6 million unless am reading it wrong?

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-2019-salary-cap-may-drive-some-draft-day-decisions

Tight end: You need a crystal ball to figure out this one. Will Jordan Reed ($9.72 million cap charge) stay healthy for enough games in 2018 to warrant that salary? Will Vernon Davis ($6.33 million), who will be 35 next offseason, finally fall to the undefeated Father Time? Even if both play well this year, $16 million for tight ends may be too much for a team that is in a cap crunch. If the right tight end is on the board, the Redskins could grab him at any point after the first round. 

18 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I mean with little space next year does anyone actually think they will be able to resign the big three next year? I don’t. 

I like Crowder but I don't see him as a must sign.  He's good, not great.   Scherff I think is a must.  They way they have been operating this year, it wouldn't shock me if they let Preston go.  If Ryan Anderson emerges (as some say the team is excited about his off season) -- I got my doubts they give Preston big money.  This off season if anything gives me the vibe that their ammo might be to let guys go versus do whatever they can to keep them in the fold. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks. Yeah I corrected that.  Tandler claims Reed frees 10 million but looking at it myself, it looks like its 6 million unless am reading it wrong?

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-2019-salary-cap-may-drive-some-draft-day-decisions

Tight end: You need a crystal ball to figure out this one. Will Jordan Reed ($9.72 million cap charge) stay healthy for enough games in 2018 to warrant that salary? Will Vernon Davis ($6.33 million), who will be 35 next offseason, finally fall to the undefeated Father Time? Even if both play well this year, $16 million for tight ends may be too much for a team that is in a cap crunch. If the right tight end is on the board, the Redskins could grab him at any point after the first round. 

when you cut people early you don't always clear their entire salary from the cap

2 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Looks like we need to look at a pass catching downfield TE this draft to go along with Sprinkle in a youth movt. 

Cooley and Finlay were talking about this the other day.   Vernon Davis is likely in his last year and Reed has to show he can stay healthy.   Cooley doesn't seem impressed with Sprinkle.  Cooley (not saying he's right but the dude I presume knows this position) thinks the team should be desperate for a pass catching TE who can also block.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looking through some of whats coming next year cap wise, it looks easier next year than this year to escape contracts. If I recall for example bailing on Vernon gives u over 6 million in space just like that.  Dumping Reed is another 10 million.

Trading or Releasing Norman would open up another 8 mill or more too.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley and Finlay were talking about this the other day.   Vernon Davis is likely in his last year and Reed has to show he can stay healthy.   Cooley doesn't seem impressed with Sprinkle.  Cooley (not saying he's right but the dude I presume knows this position) thinks the team should be desperate for a pass catching TE who can also block.

Sprinkle hopefully can block and so we draft a downfield type. Warren&Didier type setup

19 hours ago, bobandweave said:

The thing you have to like about Howard is his contract. Two more years on that 5th round deal. And his age, 23. His production has been solid.

The thing is why the hell would they get rid of him? They only have T Cohen who is much too small to be an every down back and Bennie Cunningham back there. Even if they were gonna draft someone why give up on Howard and open a question mark that’s not there? He is young and cheap and has a history. They ain’t trading him for a third or a fourth

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-mailbag-jordan-howard-draft-brad-biggs-20180405-story.html

Never say never but makes no sense to me to get rid of him baring some behind the scenes issues we don’t see and that says it’s just based off his Instagram photos so smells fishy

For the record I wouldn’t trade for him, Demarco is there and only costs money and no comp picks surrendered or I would draft someone. Both makes more sense to me.

Bears RB Jordan Howard has AMAZING 'Vision'!!! 

I LIKE Him! Hail! 

Don't WE have OL's Who are 'PERFECTLY Suited' for a 'ZONE Scheme'?!?

*How 'Bout an RB Group of:

-- Chris Thompson...

-- Jordan Howard...

-- Kapri Bibbs/Samaje Perine/Keith Marshall/Byron Marshall...

-- Derrius Guice/Nick Chubb/Sony Michel/Rashaan Penny/Ronald Jones/Other?!?

Swearinger gets it regarding the trenches: 

I’m BPA all the way so I don’t necessarily agree with the following tweet, but I’m totally with his overarching theme here: 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

^^^ Allen giving up #95......:kickcan:

come on ES, guess who wore #95 for the Colts last year :rofl89:

That was my first thought when I read the post.  I sent him a response back about Hankins and never heard anything back.  Hope it happens though.

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Swearinger gets it regarding the trenches: 

I’m BPA all the way so I don’t necessarily agree with the following tweet, but I’m totally with his overarching theme here: 

If he communicates like this internally as well, I am not sure anyone will be able to understand what he tries to say.

On a more serious note though: While everyone here agrees that our rushing defense needs work, the chargers were ranked 31st and the Rams were ranked 28th FWIW. Texans ranked dead last in points allowed. Maybe he should check stuff like that before going on a rant.
And I personally am not a fan of posting things like that on twitter. First of all it puts your teammates down, second of all it's not his position to determine who has to be drafted where. We lost 2 of 5 starting defensive backs to free agency/trade, why would it be out of the picture to draft a DB if a blue chip talent falls? It's not like we are stacked at any position on the defensive side of the ball.

13 hours ago, bobandweave said:

So like by going by this

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

To get around 16th in space your talking about freeing up 30 million. Besides cutting some players I already mentioned what moves can they do to do what you said there to get Hankins?

Interesting that we are the only team to have 51 players counting against the 2019 cap, whereas most teams have 30-40 players. I don't know how much that enters into the equation when making that projection more of an apple-to-apples comparison. 

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

That was my first thought when I read the post.  I sent him a response back about Hankins and never heard anything back.  Hope it happens though.

RWJ, thanks for turning on the lights at my house.  I had know idea what UK SKINS FAN '74 was talking about until I read your post.  I was just groping around in the darkness.  FWIW, I haven't had my coffee yet.:)

Definitely food for thought and I hope it's true.

Archived