Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cardinals Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Overall: Tough game. Last week, I accused them of quitting. This year they overcame.

Offense: Just enough. Pretty weak on the rushing game. Pretty bad at the passing game, but by the skin of their teeth they did enough. The best thing I can say is they didn't make the big mistake and took advantage of most of their opportunities. Not a game to be happy about, but perhaps one to be proud of.

C+ (Mainly because they kept pushing the lead and won)

Defense: I hate bend, but don't break, however, the Redskins did it to perfection and their ability to make plays in the red zone and keep the Cardinals to field goals was impressive. It wasn't just that the Cards imploded in the Red zone. For the most part, the Redskins D made good play after good play.

B/B-

Special Teams: That play where they didn't cover the opening kick off is the kind that often submarines this team. We actually had a few decent kick off returns. We allowed one good punt return, but mostly held them in check.

A generous C-

Coaching: Ya got me on this one. Throwing the ball on second down while your trying to kill the clock is a gutsy move. I kind of liked it though. On the other hand, why throw into the teeth of the D where you just sucked everyone in because of the play action pass. We got lucky there. The defense understood what they had to do and did it. The offense was overall rotten in the first half and somewhere between serviceable and good in the second.

C+

Refs: Aren't those calls you're supposed to give the home team? Some very questionable calls in the Cards favor. Boo on them.

Special note: I got to write a post game assessment after the game ended yay. There are some disadvantages to winning a game like this, but I never turn my nose down at a victory.

I'm pleased with the win and I want 2 more wins this year.  I don't think people who want the team to lose to improve draft position understand the importance of a team culture.  Every time a team wins a game the culture gets stronger especially so in a situation where the team is out of the playoffs.  Success in 2018 and beyond begins with improvement now, wins now, not next year after some new guys are added.

Other notes:

1.  Norman and other defensive backs got beat today peeking back at the QB early in the routes.  I don't know if this is just bad technique or they have been instructed to peek in order to provide better run support but I noticed it again today.

2.  Doctson is contributing but failing to make a fairly simple catch late in the game made things a lot tougher.  A catch and the Skins pick up a first down and at the very least run more clock.  Maybe he will improve but that drop was very disappointing.

3.  Good effort by the DL today they put pressure on the Cardinals QB

4.  Third down defense is painful to watch.  I don't know how many times the Skins set up 3rd and long with good defense on 1st and 2nd down only to break down on third and long.  The reason the Cardinals ran so many plays was the Skins inability to get stops on 3rd and long.

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I'm pleased with the win and I want 2 more wins this year.  I don't think people who want the team to lose to improve draft position understand the importance of a team culture. 

I am a draft junkie and love in theory having a higher draft pick.  But I agree 100% with this.  Dan Snyder in meltdown mode after a bad season usually doesn't spell good things for the team's future. 

The team started the season looking good. Then post Saints game its been in a funk.  Ending strong I agree is important to keep players believing.  It also I think increases Kirk's incentive to resign. 

44 minutes ago, Redd said:

Yup.  No pressure so of course we would win.  It was fun at the stadium but looked empty from where I was sitting.

Watching the highlights from around the league today for the last hour, it seems there was *some* emptiness in most stadiums today.

A lot of folks (like me) out at the shopping centers and malls today for Christmas shopping?

13 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Watching the highlights from around the league today for the last hour, it seems there was *some* emptiness in most stadiums today.

A lot of folks (like me) out at the shopping centers and malls today for Christmas shopping?

I saw an article that included pictures of the empty seats across the league last week or the week before.  I think the NFL is experiencing a decline in attendance across the board and I understand ratings are down as well.  Probably a lot of factors at work including overexposure with too many games, disenchantment because of CTE, the expense of attending and other factors including the player protests.  Whatever the causes I think the NFL peaked some time ago and is not on a long-term decline.

The person the win benefits the most I think are those who want a Cousins LTD not because Cousins played well and won the game, but the further back they are in the draft, the less chance they can draft one of the marquis guys. That puts pressure on the FO to get Cousins done because chances are the BPA will not be a QB.

9 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I think the NFL is experiencing a decline in attendance across the board and I understand ratings are down as well.  Probably a lot of factors at work including overexposure with too many games, disenchantment because of CTE, the expense of attending and other factors including the player protests.  Whatever the causes I think the NFL peaked some time ago and is not on a long-term decline.

Well, I meant emptier than usual. :) It seems like around this time folks have too much to do on their weekends.

But yes, football attendance and ratings are down. Mostly, I think because of the player protests turning folks off (if you go by polls).

I don't think it is because of "too many games". Football only has 16 regular season. Baseball has like 162. Basketball like 80 games regular season.

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

F grade should have lost the game and played for draft position. Things like this come back and bite you in the ass later. IMO

You never, Ever, EVER play to lose.

Teams "tanking a season" is a ridiculous myth, and I wish folks would  stop spreading it.

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I saw an article that included pictures of the empty seats across the league last week or the week before.  I think the NFL is experiencing a decline in attendance across the board and I understand ratings are down as well.  Probably a lot of factors at work including overexposure with too many games, disenchantment because of CTE, the expense of attending and other factors including the player protests.  Whatever the causes I think the NFL peaked some time ago and is not on a long-term decline.

Yep, also, how bout fans who are tired of the bs rules and bad officiating? Injuries are a big factor too in my opinion. 

Its really hard to grade teh offense because you can see how important Thompson was to the offense. I give them a C because they have to get a grade and they did make enough plays to win the game, but Bibbs looked good on that one play but lost on others. I think there's a reason he wasn't in on too many plays - he just doesn't know his assignments / routes yet and that puts Perine in a role he's not used to, but I'd rather have him protecting Cousins than Bibbs right now. 

Defense - B+. I would give an A had they stopped the run better or kept them out of the red zone better. But holding them to 0-6 in the red zone is good enough. 

Special Teams D+. The FGs, the puts, the 2 good returns are on the plus side, but the not covering the return, the penalty on the FG (which really didn't hurt us and which really didn't happen) just looked bad. 

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Yep, also, how bout fans who are tired of the bs rules and bad officiating? Injuries are a big factor too in my opinion. 

Yes, a bunch of things at work here dragging the League down, I don't know if it is temporary or reversible.   But there may be a silver lining for Skins fans if things across the League start to fade perhaps Snyder will sell the franchise.  The Skins are the flagship of his financial empire and if the value of it starts to slip because of a general decline across the League Snyder may feel he should bail.  I am not predicting this but I do consider it a possibility over the next decade.

13 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yes, a bunch of things at work here dragging the League down, I don't know if it is temporary or reversible.   But there may be a silver lining for Skins fans if things across the League start to fade perhaps Snyder will sell the franchise.  The Skins are the flagship of his financial empire and if the value of it starts to slip because of a general decline across the League Snyder may feel he should bail.  I am not predicting this but I do consider it a possibility over the next decade.

I don't think Snyder will ever sell the team...it's a personal albatross for him.

The upside of Dan not selling is that he will fight until the very bitter end to maintain the name Redskins, which means a LOT to fans like myself. I would guess that an ownership change would almost certainly be coupled with a mandate by the league that the new owner change the name.

6 minutes ago, The Slamming Butcher said:

I don't think Snyder will ever sell the team...it's a personal albatross for him.

The upside of Dan not selling is that he will fight until the very bitter end to maintain the name Redskins, which means a LOT to fans like myself. I would guess that an ownership change would almost certainly be coupled with a mandate by the league that the new owner change the name.

I would happily root for the Washington Road Apples if it meant Snyder sold the team.

Archived