Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cardinals Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Just watched the shortened game version - I thought the punt/kick coverage was actually pretty good, especially considering Way seemed to outkick his coverage.  

Offense was better than I thought actually.  Missed opportunities with Davis’ fumble and the kick return mistake, and AZ held the ball a lot.  

Defense did even even better than I thought too.  Considering the lack of Allen, Brown and Foster, not to mention Swearinger forced into playing deep more often without Nicholson, I’m not surprised the run D struggled.  On the flip side, they also made a lot of stops for minimal gains.  Think much of it just came from 1) injuries, being on the field so much and 3) AZ running so many plays.  

I’m slowly changing my opinion on Perine.  He’s hitting what holes he can find, occasionally creating on his own, showing pretty well in other areas too (burst, power, pass catching, etc.).  Bunch of times over the past few weeks he’s gained hidden yards - I’ll think he’s stopped for 1 and he gets 3, or seeing 4 and he gets 8.  As @Bangmentioned, he does seem to get better as the game goes on.  Gotta improve the blocking in front of him - the TE blocking in particular has been pretty poor.  Not that I’d stay pat at the position, but I think he’s capable and surprisingly well rounded.  Would like to see him with a better supporting cast.  

On a general note - Gruden went PA on 1st down more than usual.  I think it’s kind of interesting that he runs so often on first down.  I get it - 1) he wants to commit to the ground game and it’s a lot easier to go on 1st and 10 than 2nd and 10.  2) It gives him a tendency breaker and organically helps the PA passing (on 1st down).  I’d rather he run less than ~75-80% on first down, but again, I get it.  

The Redskins once again get someone demoted or fired:

Blaine Gabbert, who started the last five games, will go back to the bench. Gabbert struggled mightily in yesterday’s loss to Washington, completing just 16 of 41 passes for 189 yards, with no touchdowns, one interception and three fumbles. To find the last player who completed 16 or fewer passes while throwing more than 41 passes in a single game, you have to go all the way back to . . . Blaine Gabbert, who went 16-for-42 in a Jaguars loss to the Saints in 2011.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The Redskins once again get someone demoted or fired:

Blaine Gabbert, who started the last five games, will go back to the bench. Gabbert struggled mightily in yesterday’s loss to Washington, completing just 16 of 41 passes for 189 yards, with no touchdowns, one interception and three fumbles. To find the last player who completed 16 or fewer passes while throwing more than 41 passes in a single game, you have to go all the way back to . . . Blaine Gabbert, who went 16-for-42 in a Jaguars loss to the Saints in 2011.

It really is amazing he's still in the league. 

23 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

So you want to blow it up again?  I hope not.  This team may finish 7-9 or 8-8 despite injuries on a scale I've never seen before or heard of happening to another team.  I imagine some other team has been hit this hard but if they soldier on and finish 8-8 I'll be very impressed.  I would love for Snyder to toss Allen to the curb and get a real GM but other that and a few roster moves I'd like to see what this team can do in 2018.

That to me Sir, is what starting over begins with.

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Regarding the special teams it is really remarkable that after all these years they still can't find a return man. At least they don't give up the game changing big returns as they did under Snanny. But they are still in "not the reason we lost" category, when will they ever  be the reason we actually win a game?  

Wasn’t crowder pretty good last season? He did have a KR TD against the ravens, and i dont recall seeing too many bad returns last season. This has just been a down year all around for him in my opinion. I’d give him a chance next year to prove that 

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Bleh we whiffed on McAdoo's firing this year, that was unacceptable...

?? you’re right, for a second i was thinking he was fired the Monday after our game against them, but nope. It was the Monday after that. But hey, always a chance we get spagnuolo fired from head coach this season :P 

On 12/18/2017 at 11:50 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wasn’t crowder pretty good last season? He did have a KR TD against the ravens, and i dont recall seeing too many bad returns last season. This has just been a down year all around for him in my opinion. I’d give him a chance next year to prove that 

?? you’re right, for a second i was thinking he was fired the Monday after our game against them, but nope. It was the Monday after that. But hey, always a chance we get spagnuolo fired from head coach this season :P 

He was bad his first year, good his second, and really bad (5 fumbles) this year.  And that's the best guy we've had in years. That's crazy.

Archived